Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips needed for integrating cats

• 17-07-2013 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭

Most of you will know that we have a new addition to our cat family. All was going really well and Jasper has accepted Toby but Felix is getting more aggressive every day now. Toby wouldn't come down off the shed this morning so I had to feed him up there. He used to spend a lot of time coming and going but now he's only staying for about 10 minutes max, because of Felix's aggression. As soon as Felix saw him outside the gate last night he started howling and we had to shut him out of the kitchen and coax Toby in.

I'm using Feliway diffusers in the living room and kitchen. It rains chicken when Toby is around. We're playing with Felix and giving him lots of fuss. They've got catnip virtually coming out of their ears at this point. Watching Toby wandering around neighbours walls doing the forelorn meowing this morning broke my heart. We just want him to be able to come into the house in peace.

I had considered confining Toby to a safe room in the house but apart from the extreme heat I think it would just postpone the inevitable and that Felix would just go for him once he came out of the safe room. Toby seems very fed up and I'm worried he's going to wander off permanently. He definitely needs to be eating more food than he is too, but he's not getting much of a chance with Felix around. Any advice would be really welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd still go with the safe room; making his smell around there permanent for a week+ will probably help and part of it is most likely about settling the hierarchy as well. Once a week or so has gone by start doing the switch a roo (i.e. moving Toby into the main area and Felix into the safety room for a few hours using cat cage). Feeding at the doors after that etc. and see how it goes. You can also help Toby in the room if it's hot by putting ice cubes in a towel (or a cold block or something); our cats love to flop on that when the room gets to hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Thanks for the advice but things got even worse so we bit the bullet and got some Zyklene from the vet today, at least it's not addictive and hopefully it'll work. Why in the hell do some people just have to be ars*holes? I just don't get it. My next door neighbours hate animals, of all kinds(never a good sign).

We live in a terrace and last night Felix sat on their stone shed in the sun. Their garden is all concrete and he doesn't go in there. As she came in to her garden she saw me opening the bedroom window and saw him on the shed. She picked up sticks and started roaring at him and throwing them at him, literally looking for anything she could find on the ground to hurl at him. The woman is nearly 60 years of age ffs, so should know better. We put up with a lot of crap from their side and don't complain. He was doing no harm at all. I can't repeat what I said to her but it involved a hell of a lot of expletives:mad:

Anyway, Felix has been disappearing for an hr or so at a time often this week and I assumed he was visiting a neighbour. By chance I heard howling and went to look for him. There's an abandoned house nearby with the back yard totally overgrown with fuscias and honeysuckle, literally like a jungle. Felix had Toby pinned under some undergrowth and given that Toby is always sticky I'm guessing that's where he's been living:(

Advertisement