Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know the cost of a colonoscopy?

Options
  • 17-07-2013 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all,

Does anyone know how much it costs for a colonoscopy? I have seen multiple articles online that say it costs €1400 which I simply can't afford. Yet when I rang the hospital they said the only charge would be a €75 room charge.

The appointment is all set up, I went to the doctor and he made an appointment for me in the local county hospital, with the appointment date arriving today.

I have no medical card or insurance so I am worried it will cost much more than the €75, am I right to be worried?

I'd love to be able to trust the hospital but I've heard of people getting outrageous bills from hospitals after being told it would cost much less.

Any advice would be much appreciated. The colonoscopy is cause for enough worry without stressing about the price!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

It's 75 quid in a public hospital assuming it's a day case (which it should be in the vast majority of cases).

• Registered Users Posts: 39 rockyVII

Thanks very much, obviously puts my mind at ease.

So I wonder where the €1400 rumour came from, perhaps that's for a private hospital?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

You're being charged 75 as that's the charge the HSE/Government sets. That is not the cost of the actual procedure though. That could be up to €1440 depending on where it is done but is usually more in the 300-400 range.

I rang them and specifically asked them how much the total charge will be and they said €75 would be it.

Strange, I'll ring them again tomorrow. Who sets the cost of the actual procedure then, has that anything to do with the hospital?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

rockyVII wrote: »
    I rang them and specifically asked them how much the total charge will be and they said €75 would be it.

Strange, I'll ring them again tomorrow. Who sets the cost of the actual procedure then, has that anything to do with the hospital?

I maybe wasn't clear. All you will pay is the €75.

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »
    I maybe wasn't clear. All you will pay is the €75.

Oh, brilliant! I thought you meant the room charge was €75 and then the procedure costs a lot more on top of that.

Good to know it all costs only €75, I was seriously worried I wouldn't be able to afford it.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The €1400 figure you found online would be a high-end cost for a fully private procedure. I doubt there is anyone who ever pays for that directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

Oh, brilliant! I thought you meant the room charge was €75 and then the procedure costs a lot more on top of that.

Good to know it all costs only €75, I was seriously worried I wouldn't be able to afford it.

Thanks again!

Don't forget the €75 is tax deductible as well. (20% rate)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭giesha

hi rockyvii.

did you get sorted with the procedure.?

do you remember what it cost you in the end.?

& what was the result's mate.?

thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I presume at €75 and a public hospital the procedure was carried out without anesthetist. Did they give you some sedation?

Edit, just see the date now.

• Advertisement

i just seen it (the date of opening thread)....sorry, im a bit late.
    thanks avatar mia for the eye opener (keep an eye on the date of post's +).

thanks. (happy patricks day, all)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

it is cheap whatever the price is, if you require one you need it, if you need it get it done, what cost do you put on your health, it could well cost you your life, i owe mine to the credit union, it was come up with the money and be seen inside four weeks, or wait up to 18 months for a public appointment, i would not have been alive in 18 months, the oncologest reconed i would not survive anyway, i did

hi flutered, thanks for the relpy. yes your correct...what cost is your health. i use that line to people sometimes & i forgot my own line.
    thanks.

I love the notion that because its done in the public system they won't use anaesthesia :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I love the notion that because its done in the public system they won't use anaesthesia :)

That might be the first thing you'd need given the procedure :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,936 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Shure thats why its so much cheaper!

Most recent poster: fyi the daily charge to you in a public hospital is now €80 per inpatient day or part day, no matter how much the procedure costs the hospital to do.

The challenge is getting far enough up the waiting list to get done. Its not impossible.

In my experience once you get into the system the public hospital care is as good or better than private. The food and room may not be as flash but the actual medical care is what really counts.

They don't or they don't in about 94% of the cases.

Have you information that states otherwise? No? Didn't think so.

They don't or they don't in about 94% of the cases.

Have you information that states otherwise? No? Didn't think so.

80% are done with sedation https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3109467/

Mine certainly was !!!!

80% are done with sedation https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3109467/

Mine certainly was !!!!

Sedation yes, LA no. Sedation can be given by a Reg

Sedation yes, LA no. Sedation can be given by a Reg

60018406.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Its €80 and well worth it , And when you come out the other side , change your diet . High fibre and GI Index . You will make it

Advertisement