Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whitworth Road

Options
  • 17-07-2013 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Just wondering if this part of town is safe? I live in Phibsborough at the moment and haven't had a bit of bother.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'd consider it fairly safe anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

yes v safe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Perfectly safe. If you have a car, the Drumcondra end of it can be a pain in the you know what on big match days at Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Decent area as far as I know...and you have Tolka Park in walking distance as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Its grand although there was an attempted rape at crossguns bridge a few months ago. However that could have happened anywhere in Dublin or any other city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Totally safe. Just don't expect to go anywhere by car in rush hour at more than 2kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

sdeire wrote: »
    Totally safe. Just don't expect to go anywhere by car in rush hour at more than 2kph.

Yeah that part of Drumcondra can be a bottle neck alright.
    I would consider Whitworth Rd to be a very safe area though. The little canal beside it is nice too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Not a bad spot at all OP, Porterhouse North and Hedigan's are good as gold and the pubs in Drumcondra at the other end are sound enough.

Always struck me as a place that's retained it's character as in houses which have been passed down through generations and not a huge amount of bedsits, it's has a fairly relaxed middle class atmosphere.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Perfectly safe an a very good area too with the canal, Porterhouse and all and being right beside Phibsborough.

Driving in and out of Whitworth Road takes a long time at rush hour, you've got Dorset Street(N1) on one end and Finglas Road(N2) on the other. It's a normal one lane each way road but it's heavily used at rush hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The Whitworth Rd is a strange one for traffic, As its notorious for backlogged traffic at peak hour heading to Cross Guns bridge, there does be occasions when it doesn't be backed up.

I studied this issue while having a few beers(:) :D) outside the Porterhouse one weekday afternoon, that day there was hardly any traffic backed up but a few weeks later it was backed up more than halfway down the road!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

it is more to do with the traffic on the phibsboro road and also on lower drumcondra roads, if they are busy, there is little room to join the traffic coming of the whitworth road- I think anyway.

That area is fine. I lived on St Patrick's Road, just off Whitworth Road, for two years and not an ounce of bother while I was there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭stephen97

Pat2107 wrote: »
    Just wondering if this part of town is safe? I live in Phibsborough at the moment and haven't had a bit of bother.
    just prepare for when the trains go by, i used to live in lyndsay grove and it shook the house, but apart from the winos on the canal at night and the snobs on iona and lyndsay road, it is a nice area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

gurramok wrote: »
    The Whitworth Rd is a strange one for traffic, As its notorious for backlogged traffic at peak hour heading to Cross Guns bridge, there does be occasions when it doesn't be backed up.

I studied this issue while having a few beers(:) :D) outside the Porterhouse one weekday afternoon, that day there was hardly any traffic backed up but a few weeks later it was backed up more than halfway down the road!

Thats gas as I drive Whitworth road myself at similar times of day and I've found the exact same phenomenon. I can generally predict how busy traffic will be for my commute to Finglas but Whitworth road is always a mixed bag of tricks. Some days heading down it towards Dorset Street involves sitting at the lights for two changes before you can turn right or left, other times it might be just you and two or three other cars waiting on the lights to change, it's bizarre !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Did they ever catch the kid who was doing the rapings?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭stephen97

Neeson wrote: »
    Did they ever catch the kid who was doing the rapings?
    turned out to be a dyslexic kid who wanted to follow in the footsteps of eminem, but when he forgot to put in the second p to make it rappings, apparently he went on a mad terror spree,
    it just goes to show rap music is bad for the youngsters of today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Some of them fellas do sing about dodgy things alright.

Advertisement