Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ceratopsian

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Major deja vu... I'm convinced this dinosaur was old news and we had already posted it somewhere in the forum... :confused:

Am I the only one who thinks the amazingly bull-like horns are more eye-catching than the nose that gives it its name?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Definitely old news Adam. I distinctly recall your artwork accompanying it the last time 'round. Although why the 'nose' seems to be the selling point this time is beyond me...

The references on Wikipedia show that it has been known since 2012. Not sure exactly when it was formally named, but in 2013 apparently. I'm pretty sure the name Nasutoceratops has been in use for ages though.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

Aye, apparently there is artwork from way back in 2011. Though it was only published yesterday in Proceedings B. Strange that they left it so long.

And yes, the horns were the first thing that caught my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I like this thread for one big reason (Well big for me) The horns.

Why?

Well firstly they are similar to a bull's.

Cattle are big herbivores with a short temper (Ok domestic cattle are less so but the Aurochs and others which are related to cattle are short tempered)

How, if left to themselves do such modern animals act? Basically they munch on grass, fart and have babies. AND Most crucially the males (bulls) protect their harem from rivals and predators (Watch how a buffalo will turn on a predator if his cow's are under threat ... the rest of the herd joining in a lot of the time)

So horns on this wee beastie look very similar.

I may be jumping to conclusions (and I am I know) but I can't stop thinking that such creatures were herding herbivores with a short temper and the ability to gore and fight back against predators and rivals.

I suspect one or two other people may have considered this before. LOL

:)

Not the same Cerotopsian, But ........ (ps notice the feathering of T-Rex :) )

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9WbTh2Sd4b7NPm0Qp6G8QVb1ugB81rNFvNT7lFp_WyFvv-BUm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Rubecula wrote: »

Awesome image. Where'd you find that?

Galvasean wrote: »
    Awesome image. Where'd you find that?

It popped up on Google while I was looking for reports on feathered Dinosaurs. I forget what I put in, try T-Rex in feathers. There are a few images in there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

I like this thread for one big reason (Well big for me) The horns.

Why?

Well firstly they are similar to a bull's.

Cattle are big herbivores with a short temper (Ok domestic cattle are less so but the Aurochs and others which are related to cattle are short tempered)

How, if left to themselves do such modern animals act? Basically they munch on grass, fart and have babies. AND Most crucially the males (bulls) protect their harem from rivals and predators (Watch how a buffalo will turn on a predator if his cow's are under threat ... the rest of the herd joining in a lot of the time)

So horns on this wee beastie look very similar.

I may be jumping to conclusions (and I am I know) but I can't stop thinking that such creatures were herding herbivores with a short temper and the ability to gore and fight back against predators and rivals.

I suspect one or two other people may have considered this before. LOL

:)

Well, there IS lots of evidence that at least some ceratopsians were herding animals (Pachyrhinosaurus, Centrosaurus, I think Triceratops too), and I'm pretty sure the horns were great defensive weapons no matter what scientists may say (like they always go on and on about how they were "probably for display" only, despite the fact that for example, the antlers of deer look more like display than deadly weapons yet they are perfectly capable of goring predators- and humans- with them...)

The frustrating thing is that unless I've missed something, we don´t know how different the males were from the females; I would imagine that if males were found to be larger and have bigger horns than females it would be pretty good evidence that, as you say, they behaved a lot like modern day wild cattle. Except that they would also bite a lot harder. :B

What's the ceratopsian meant to be? Tatankaceratops? It looks adult yet its very small compared to the T-Rex...

No idea what it is to be honest Adam.

Advertisement