Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not liking other teams/players

• 17-07-2013 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

Was reading that a lot of Arsenal fans are not going to buy FIFA 14 just because Bale is on the cover, and these are not children by the way either.

Also guys who play fantasy football not choosing players from "rival" teams like Liverpool fans not picking Everton players or Spurs fans not picking any players from London based teams.

I am a Spurs fan and have no bother picking Arsenal players or playing as them in FIFA or Pro Evo. I had Cazorla as captain in my fantasy team a few times last season.

Anyone on here like and if so why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

kakee wrote: »
    Was reading that a lot of Arsenal fans are not going to buy FIFA 14 just because Bale is on the cover, and these are not children by the way either.

Perhaps, not physically....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I don't have much of a problem with any team, its mostly their fans that annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I hate spurs as much as the next guy, but i'll still buy the game. ridiculous not buying it because spurs is on the cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Fans who seem to prefer their fantasy football team to do well when it rivals players in it are much worse. For example, a Spurs fan to pick Cazorla as captain and then hoping he does really well just seems really really weird to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Also guys who play fantasy football not choosing players from "rival" teams like Liverpool fans not picking Everton players or Spurs fans not picking any players from London based teams.

I am a Spurs fan and have no bother picking Arsenal players or playing as them in FIFA or Pro Evo. I had Cazorla as captain in my fantasy team a few times last season.

Anyone on here like and if so why?

How old are they 7 ????

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Fans who seem to prefer their fantasy football team to do well when it rivals players in it are much worse. For example, a Spurs fan to pick Cazorla as captain and then hoping he does really well just seems really really weird to me.

This is one of the reasons I don't do fantasy football. I feel like punching people who when their team loses, goes well at least XYZ scored against us so I'm happy enough. Obviously that is probably only a minority of FF players, but I have seen some people who I had previously thought to be sane coming out with lines like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Of course Bale is gonna be on the cover of FIFA.

Very good player and British

His mug or anybody other footballers mug on the cover isn't going to factor into my decision into buying the game one iota

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Tell you what's even worse than them FF clowns.

Irish supporters of English clubs telling Irish people to support ALL LoI clubs in Europe.

Claiming that it's "different" that they wouldn't entertain the notion of supporting another English team. Most of these idiots then feign interest in the Irish sides every summer when they are in Europe.

Nah, I fúcking hate these teams every week of the season, I'm not going to suddenly start wishing them well just because they are in Europe.

Clowns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Tell you what's even worse than them FF clowns.

Irish supporters of English clubs telling Irish people to support ALL LoI clubs in Europe.

Claiming that it's "different" that they wouldn't entertain the notion of supporting another English team. Most of these idiots then feign interest in the Irish sides every summer when they are in Europe.

Nah, I fúcking hate these teams every week of the season, I'm not going to suddenly start wishing them well just because they are in Europe.

Clowns.

100% agree with you on that one.

Im routing for Sligo tonight and will be Derry tomorrow, but wasnt for Drogheda last week.

The abuse I got from "Irish" fans of English clubs when I was hoping Shamrock Rovers would lose all their European games was amazing. Whats it got to do with them anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Did you buy it yourself OP when Oxlade Chamberlain was on the front? Or the year before when Wilshere was on it?

Couldn't give a ****e tbh, if they put Hitler on the front I'd probably still buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I don't even get a cover, I download digitally so for all I care, Kermit the frog could be on it and it wouldn't affect me. Would be brilliant tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Didn't EA have a thing where you could download your own teams cover for FIFA? Failing that some bloke has a vid on YouTube showing you how to photoshop your own. Now I'm off to create my own cover using paper and crayons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

cson wrote: »
    Couldn't give a ****e tbh, if they put Hitler on the front I'd probably still buy it.

Great player! Score of 99 for aggression & 100 for vision. Excellent stamina, wants to put his mark on every part of the pitch.

TRAITS : Team Player
    SPECIALITIES : Complete Fuhrer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Is Bale doing his stupid love heart thing on the cover?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Thats just sad,

I hope this is in England that you saw that OP? If they're Irish then thats weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,578 ✭✭✭✭CSF

major bill wrote: »
    Thats just sad,

I hope this is in England that you saw that OP? If they're Irish then thats weird

To be fair, it is weird anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

True it is but I'd understand a Londoner doing it......still quite sad and very Childish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Its weird how this is seen as 'childish' but coke a cola having to have blue logos outside la bombarena is considered a sign of the intense rivalry between boca and river.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Hating someone because they support a team is just stupid. I love having a competitive rivalry with Arsenal fans however (being a Spurs fan). Rivalry is one of the best parts of any sport. Given the chance, i'll get in as many digs as i can into an Arsenal fan, and vice versa, but some people definitely take it too far. Most fans can be gracious enough in defeat, and in victory.

Not buying a game because someone is on the cover is just idiotic though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Sean7

I will not be buying it because it says FIFA 2014 on the cover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

That's very silly of them. I'm a MUFC fan and most of the time nobody from that team is on my Fantasy team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I am sure they still want Arsenal to lose. They just want them to lose 6-5 with Cazorla scoring a hat-trick and two assists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

That'll show them.

What a stupid thing to do. I'm sure if there was a picture of Bertie Ahern shooting a puppy it wouldn't deter me from buying something that is always so much value of money. The hours of enjoyment we all get from FIFA.

Plus no room for allegiances in fantasy. The hated of a player soon sooths when you've captain him and he has scored a hatrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Since shirt sponsoring was allowed in Holland i never bought anything of a company that is or has been on an Ajax shirt.

As for supporting other Dutch teams when they are in Europe. I hope they get as far as possible, as long as they dont win it :-D

2 reasons for that.
    1st the better they perform, the more places will be available for Dutch clubs and Feyenoord might profit from that.
    2nd reason, the more they play in Europe, the bigger the chance they get knackered enough to lose points in the league.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    That'll show them.

What a stupid thing to do. I'm sure if there was a picture of Bertie Ahern shooting a puppy it wouldn't deter me from buying something that is always so much value of money. The hours of enjoyment we all get from FIFA.

Plus no room for allegiances in fantasy. The hated of a player soon sooths when you've captain him and he has scored a hatrick.

There is no room for alliegances when picking your team but you shouldn't be hoping for your FF team to succeed at the suspense of the team you support. You should pick the opposition striker if you think he will score well, but you shouldn't be happy if he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

inforfun wrote: »
    Since shirt sponsoring was allowed in Holland i never bought anything of a company that is or has been on an Ajax shirt.

Does that include Adidas as well, a former sponsor/manufacturer for Feyenoord?

CSF wrote: »
    There is no room for alliegances when picking your team but you shouldn't be hoping for your FF team to succeed at the suspense of the team you support. You should pick the opposition striker if you think he will score well, but you shouldn't be happy if he does.

Fantasy points benefit you. The team you support doing well doesn't benefit you unless you're a stakeholder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

764dak wrote: »
    Fantasy points benefit you. The team you support doing well doesn't benefit you unless you're a stakeholder.

That's the difference between a fan and a fanboy.

Oh my.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Football Tribalism is for people who have **** all else to live for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Does that include Adidas as well, a former sponsor/manufacturer for Feyenoord?

No, i am talking about TDK, ABN/AMRO, Aegon. The shirt sponsors.

Adidas was never my brand but that has nothing to do with sponsoring, just never fitted me "right"

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Its weird how this is seen as 'childish' but coke a cola having to have blue logos outside la bombarena is considered a sign of the intense rivalry between boca and river.

Nah both situations are equally ridiculous to me. It's only hipsters who would think the boca / river thing is cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Just put the disk into the old This is Football case with John O Shea on the cover. Problem solved.

That's very silly of them. I'm a MUFC fan and most of the time nobody from that team is on my Fantasy team

Aguero was the captain of my Fantasy team over the weekend.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

I can't do fantasy football either. I did it for the 2007/08 season when Ronaldo set the league on fire but it broke my heart for me to be hoping drogba would score etc. so I had to stop it cause it was taking my personal enjoyment out of the game and disturbed my footballing morals...;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Leaving Fantasy Football aside, I don't get some Irish people.

The Liverpool fans who hate Everton.
    The Spurs fans who hate Arsenal.
    The United fans who hate City.

To me, the reason these clubs hate each other in England is because they live side by side. In their cities there is just, in the case of Manchester, United and City. Therefore, it's only natural that you'll hate City if you're a United fan and vice versa.

In Ireland, that doesn't apply as much. For me, as a Spurs fan, I don't hate Arsenal as much as I hate Liverpool. That's because, when I was growing up, I knew few Arsenal fans and Arsenal didn't win that much. However, all my mates were/are Liverpool fans and they won everything. That's why I hate them with a passion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I don't have much of a problem with any team, its mostly their fans that annoy me.

Absobloodyexactly, I wouldn`t play with any other Premiership team bar Liverpool but I would play as different Serie A teams beside Milan I think it`s due to the the fact stated above(don`t talk to nearly as many annoying people about Serie A). I bought PES anyway :p , may get the FIFA on Next Gen if I can ever afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Was reading that a lot of Arsenal fans are not going to buy FIFA 14 just because Bale is on the cover, and these are not children by the way either?

Why are the they playing computer games so??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Why are the they playing computer games so??

I'm 28 and I dont think I'll stop gaming for the foreseeable future, adults can play computer games too, even if some have the mentality of a 10 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'm 28 and I dont think I'll stop gaming for the foreseeable future, adults can play computer games too, even if some have the mentality of a 10 year old.

There is always someone who bites to the games are for kids jibe :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

ronjo wrote: »
    There is always someone who bites to the games are for kids jibe :)

problem is it's not always clearly a joke. some people think that it's a fair opinion to have. (i think it's horse manure)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

problem is it's not always clearly a joke. some people think that it's a fair opinion to have. (i think it's horse manure)

Or poo poo maybe :D

Advertisement