Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blatter Calling for World Cup Move

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

such a mess of an organisation...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

How about moving it to a country big enough to hold a World Cup while you're at it Sepp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

So whats the alternative force a summer football season or will they basically abandon the leagues for about 8 weeks in the winter and let them catch up afterwards?

If you ask me they should move to bloody thing, if it wasnt for corruption they would have never have managed to get the bloody thing in the first place.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

They should move it, but to a proper country instead of a different time of year. If they want to do that then the 2021 Confederations Cup would be in winter too. It would make a joke of the World Cup, which FIFA had alread gone a long way towards doing anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

That donkey blatter knows he won't be in charge come 2022 and doesn't really give a sh1t how the world cup pans out. He has lined his pockets and will be retired and living off his ill gotten gains by then.

FIFA are the world's most corrupt and disgraceful sporting body.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Blatter says “if this World Cup is to become a party for the people, you can’t play football in the summer. You can cool down the stadiums but you can’t cool down the whole country.”

So you play it in a country where this isn't an issue obviously. Apart from the obvious financial issue how they could choose a host nation that they themselves admit could not run a world cup as it is normally run is truly baffling.

I'm sure his arm was twisted with bags and bags of money, it usually makes every decision a lot easier. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

“if this World Cup is to become a party for the people, you can’t play it in Qatar.football in the summer.”
    QED.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

How about moving it to a country big enough to hold a World Cup while you're at it Sepp?

I've a better idea FCUK OFF Sepp,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'm sure his arm was twisted with bags and bags of money, it usually makes every decision a lot easier. ;)

yeah but even in such a situation they should try and not make it so blatant. Did they themselves not have to defend the choice when it was chosen and did they not say that they chose it believing a Summer world cup would be feasible there. I believe the main part of their defense at the time was exactly what he dismisses above about the stadiums being able to be cooled. So if they admit that their reasoning behind choosing the hosts was wrong should they not also now defend why they still get to host it?

Everyone knows it's money but have they actually ever addressed why they would be willing to change the world cup of all things (and most major leagues around the world at least temporarily) just to allow this country to host the world cup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

I think FIFA are going to be in bother over this either way.

When the various countries were bidding for a summer world cup it cost a lot of money to those that put forward a bid. If FIFA turn around and try change the time then all the previous bidders may seek compensation etc.

If FIFA decides to run the tournament in the winter in Qatar then I can see many countries having to call a halt to domestic leagues etc for at least 12 weeks to run the tournament and allow for training camps.

yeah but even in such a situation they should try and not make it so blatant. Did they themselves not have to defend the choice when it was chosen and did they not say that they chose it believing a Summer world cup would be feasible there. I believe the main part of their defense at the time was exactly what he dismisses above about the stadiums being able to be cooled. So if they admit that their reasoning behind choosing the hosts was wrong should they not also now defend why they still get to host it?

Everyone knows it's money but have they actually ever addressed why they would be willing to change the world cup of all things (and most major leagues around the world at least temporarily) just to allow this country to host the world cup?

Its a lot easier to change host then it is to try and work out a solution to changing the Summer/winter schedule of the major leagues in world football.

For instance, if it does change you can rule out a European country for '22 given Russia are getting the '18 WC.

How about USA again in '22? Football has grown a lot since its last hsoting in the USA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Wouldn't be a Sepp Blatter thread without....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Call me old fashioned but I do miss the old certainties about football. 3pm kick offs, international tournaments hosted by one country instead of being pan-continental and taking place in Summer in a hospitable climate in a nation with the required infrastructure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

How about USA again in '22? Football has grown a lot since its last hsoting in the USA.

USA, Mexico, Australia and Japan are all non-European/South American countries who could probably host at a moments notice.

With 8 years notice its hard to think of a country that wouldn't be a better option than Qatar to be honest. It was always a stupid idea to award them the WC but its not secret to anyone here what the 'rationale' is ;)

FIFA really are a mess of an organisation and as much as I like International football (I'm in the minority, I know!) I hope the various leagues tell FIFA to FRO with their plan for a winter tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

I'd love to see another (3rd) World Cup in Mexico sometime. Probably tough to play in but whenever I see photos or videos of 70 or 86 and all the games are played in the daytime with brilliant sunshine I think "that's what a World Cup is supposed to look like".

Of course Mexico'd probably host their games in the evenings with the floodlights on if they hosted again, so that boat has probably sailed anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Genuinely hope the clubs withhold their players from playing in that WC if it's the case.

Might motivate FIFA to get rid of those in charge and change their mindset (although I doubt it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Genuinely hope the clubs withhold their players from playing in that WC if it's the case.
    They can't, otherwise they'll be sanctioned by FIFA
    Might motivate FIFA to get rid of those in charge and change their mindset (although I doubt it).
    They won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

As much as I'd like to see it change, it'd be too much of a 180 to change hosts, even if it is 9 years off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

What a mess this has all become! If its on in summer tere will be no one at it and it they decided to try move to winter I can see a break up of fifa coming. There is no way national leagues can suspend the leagues for 8 weeks. It's madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

roanoke wrote: »
    I'd love to see another (3rd) World Cup in Mexico sometime. Probably tough to play in but whenever I see photos or videos of 70 or 86 and all the games are played in the daytime with brilliant sunshine I think "that's what a World Cup is supposed to look like".

Of course Mexico'd probably host their games in the evenings with the floodlights on if they hosted again, so that boat has probably sailed anyway.

No they woudlnt, they would be geared towards european tv times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

miralize wrote: »
    As much as I'd like to see it change, it'd be too much of a 180 to change hosts, even if it is 9 years off

Nonsense, 9 years is loads of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Obviously Qatar having the world cup is an absolute farce, but they have it and that's highly unlikely going to change.

Moving it to winter would only affect western European countries afaik, I think most countries have their breaks in Winter (i.e. Russia, Brazil, etc)?? Plus, Spain, Italy and Germany have winter breaks, so really, the only major league that it would have a major affect on would be the PL. I, for one, would like to see it happen. Higher quality world cup, plus PL action up until July possibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Nonsense, 9 years is loads of time

Reread my post . Time isnt the issue I'm discussing. Fifa wont want to backtrack, and/or give back any money they've already received.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

THFC wrote: »
    Obviously Qatar having the world cup is an absolute farce, but they have it and that's highly unlikely going to change.

Moving it to winter would only affect western European countries afaik, I think most countries have their breaks in Winter (i.e. Russia, Brazil, etc)?? Plus, Spain, Italy and Germany have winter breaks, so really, the only major league that it would have a major affect on would be the PL. I, for one, would like to see it happen. Higher quality world cup, plus PL action up until July possibly.

Spain and Italys breaks are 2 weeks, so it will impact them. It will also impact France, Portugal, Holland, Belgium and many of the South American leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

No they woudlnt, they would be geared towards european tv times

All the better if your prediction proves correct, but I personally doubt it. For example WC2002 (the most recent WC held in an unsuitable timezone for Europeans) had kick off times to suit the host nations, not European tv viewers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

FIFA made a mess of this. They must have known all of these issues before they chose Qatar. I'd say certain people in FIFA were handsomely rewarded for coming to a decision that they knew made little sense.

If it does come to a winter world cup, I hope they put it on at xmas when we all have time off and can watch plenty games. It would never happen of course, but it would be a weird experience watching the World Cup on Xmas day and Stephen's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Well teams usually have the best part of 3 weeks to prepare for the tournament. Then the competition itself lasts for a month. So that's pretty much a two month break. If they tried to play games in that time, it'd affect the top teams who tend to have more international players playing. Can't see the top clubs agreeing to that.

Otherwise you might get Stoke running away with the league and playing in Europe against Barcelona in the Champs league the following year. Although it might give Messi a chance to prove the naysayers wrong and show he can do it on a wet and windy Wednesday night in Stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

miralize wrote: »
    Not at all, Columbia were the original hosts for the '86 tournament, but realised in '82 that they could not afford it.

Mexico only got the go ahead one year later and produced a fantastic tournament, so the precedent is there for it to be moved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm not sure how it could be moved to winter. Would need to either cut games from the major leagues or else delay them, which will cause problems for seasons after. I can't see many players willing to agree to playing club football, flying to Qatar for the world cup, coming back for the second half of the season and then having no break as the next season would be starting in about 3 weeks.

clsmooth wrote: »
    Well teams usually have the best part of 3 weeks to prepare for the tournament. Then the competition itself lasts for a month. So that's pretty much a two month break. If they tried to play games in that time, it'd affect the top teams who tend to have more international players playing. Can't see the top clubs agreeing to that.

Otherwise you might get Stoke running away with the league and playing in Europe against Barcelona in the Champs league the following year. Although it might give Messi a chance to prove the naysayers wrong and show he can do it on a wet and windy Wednesday night in Stoke.
    I'd hazard a guess that if a world cup was played in winter, then the PL, along with the major European league plus the CL, would take a break. That would leave 2 months more club football probably to be player in June and July, or possibly the July before the WC. I think it would go better than some people expect.

I do, of course, fully acknowledge that Qatar ever having the WC is a scandalous decision, more likely than not coming from corruption rather than a view to promote the games abroad. I think the reason it was decided so early was because people working in FIFA could avail of this large payday before they retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I'd hazard a guess that if a world cup was played in winter, then the PL, along with the major European league plus the CL, would take a break. That would leave 2 months more club football probably to be player in June and July, or possibly the July before the WC. I think it would go better than some people expect.

I do, of course, fully acknowledge that Qatar ever having the WC is a scandalous decision, more likely than not coming from corruption rather than a view to promote the games abroad. I think the reason it was decided so early was because people working in FIFA could avail of this large payday before they retired.

Thing is if they did this, the following season wouldn't start in August as the players need a rest, and suddenly the whole calendar has changed..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I live in Qatar and though I believe the country should never have won the bid, it just can't be held in the summer. It's at least 42 degrees every day for the past month and the month coming and you no one is on the streets due to the intense heat. I ended up having to walk outdoors for 10 mins yesterday and I was a sweat exhausted mess. A World Cup needs to have fans in the streets and soaking up the local atmosphere and the weather is a lot more reasonable in Winter.

Don't get me wrong though; it shouldn't be held here in the first place. I went to Qatar v Iran recently and everyone was giving a huge fan pack (flags, hats, drinks, snacks) each to try create an atmosphere. It didn't work.

clsmooth wrote: »
    Thing is if they did this, the following season wouldn't start in August as the players need a rest, and suddenly the whole calendar has changed..
    It would be back to normal by the end of the 22-23 season. During a World Cup year players get fuck all holidays anyway, think it's around 3-4 weeks for players of countries that make it to the latter stages. I remember the Ireland v Argentina friendly that was played on the 11 of August. World Cup final was exactly one month previous. No reason why the PL couldn't finish by the 11 July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Benimar wrote: »
    Spain and Italys breaks are 2 weeks, so it will impact them. It will also impact France, Portugal, Holland, Belgium and many of the South American leagues.

The winter break in germany starts in mid december so unless its held over christmas or becomes the 2023 world cup in january no league will go untouched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I live in Qatar and though I believe the country should never have won the bid, it just can't be held in the summer. It's at least 42 degrees every day for the past month and the month coming and you no one is on the streets due to the intense heat. I ended up having to walk outdoors for 10 mins yesterday and I was a sweat exhausted mess. A World Cup needs to have fans in the streets and soaking up the local atmosphere and the weather is a lot more reasonable in Winter.

Don't get me wrong though; it shouldn't be held here in the first place. I went to Qatar v Iran recently and everyone was giving a huge fan pack (flags, hats, drinks, snacks) each to try create an atmosphere. It didn't work.

Seeing as you live there, I have heard that it is illegal to be a homosexual there. Such a backward country should never get the world cup as it will put off many supporters. I seem to remember Blatter saying some homophobic remarks when asked about the subject. I also wonder if women will be allowed wear bikinis in a country that still practices a form of Sharia and the testament of a woman in court is worth half that of a mans.

They should give it to Germany as an emergency measure IMO. Would be a great atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Seeing as you live there, I have heard that it is illegal to be a homosexual there. Such a backward country should never get the world cup as it will put off many supporters. I seem to remember Blatter saying some homophobic remarks when asked about the subject. I also wonder if women will be allowed wear bikinis in a country that still practices a form of Sharia and the testament of a woman in court is worth half that of a mans.

They should give it to Germany as an emergency measure IMO. Would be a great atmosphere.

We're going off-topic but I'll address that. A lot of the social laws here are completely ignored, probably because the locals are completely outnumbered by expat workers or because they have quite a fondness for the West (European/US brands/labels are exalted). For example, I worked with a gay guy who lived with his boyfriend for years and I know quite a few gay people who, aside from expressing their sexual preferences around devout Muslim work colleagues, go about their business. Similarly, it's 'illegal' to live with a partner of the opposite sex unless you're married, but my ex would visit for week-long visits and no one would care. As for bikinis, I've been to a water park and while the locals have a variety of Nigella Lawson-style 'burkinis', the few Western women I saw were strolling around in bikinis. Doha's not at the level of Dubai (which doesn't feel like the Middle East whatsoever, more a cosmopolitan expat city), but I imagine it will be comparable by 2022.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

So this is an unexpected shambles, does anyone even know how the Russians are faring in their preparation for it either?

There is no way the players/clubs will go for this option of moving it to the winter, it will mean a 2 month break for all intensive purposes, completely messes up the calendar for 22/23 and for 23/24. Unless they bring 22/23 forward by a month and then have that season finish later and so on. Its all a complete mess.

Who can hold the comp at a moment's notice?

- Germany
    - England, would be my preferred choice, they have been kinda shafted over previous bids.
    - States?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Corruption will win out on this debate. Logic and the Qatar World Cup will never be reconciled

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

For this to happen in Winter and remain in 2022 then it will either happen early in January or November. Can't see it happening in December if fans are to be considered.

Both of these options would not only hinder the domestic leagues but also the ECL (and others) and the qualifications for the 2024 Euros - if that remains a summer tournament.

A late 2022 tournament would need to have at least 8 weeks blocked off to allow for the pre-tournament preparations/acclimatization and then a further 2 weeks to allow for a break before the domestic leagues start. This is what happens for a Summer tournament. The only way this would work would be to alter both the 2021 and 2022 seasons - the 2021 would need to start earlier and finish earlier so the 2022 season could start considerably earlier and finish somewhere around June so not to impact 2023.

Also FIFA have to be careful not to arrange something that gives certain nations a unfair advantage - like having European leagues active very close to the tournament while other leagues are able to incorporate breaks due to existing winter breaks and go to the tournament fresher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Sad, so very sad. I have been a Football plan for nearly Forty years, and this is just another nail in its coffin together with the Court Case over the TV rights, this week.

He (Blatter) has had a negative impact on the sport since day one of his involvement and Platini was supposed to be a counter balance as a former player, has become a pale copy of Mr Blatter.

The only evolution in World Football is the mass marketing of its"Brand" (sickening) and constant drive to suck every dollar, yen, pound or euro from it. Getting the most for Football is commendable, yet, you can go only so far before damaging its integrity. The constant marketing hype worlds greatest this, worlds most watched that, are now by words for mediocrity and much polished egos with dissent and truth sidelined for maximum profit.

We have all talked before about technology to enhance decision making to give referees more power (which they need over the players these days) and yet its decide by the powerbrokers of the game as incompatible with the ethos of the game.

It is a pity, that a game that still brings joy to those at the grass roots of the game is always lost to those with their heads in the clouds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I think everything should be done to prevent any change to the month the World Cup is held. If they decide it will still be held in Qatar in the summer then there should be a boycott on travelling to the country from the fans. Empty stadiums and unsold tickets might make Blatter sit up and take notice. Money seems to be the only thing this fool understands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭bren2001

It is going to be discussed by the executive council on the 3rd and 4th of October.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/18/qatar-winter-world-cup-fifa

If they do move it to the winter in 2022, I can see plenty of countries (at least) threatening to pull out. If England, Germany, Spain, Italy and France stood together on the issue, it would be hard for FIFA to run with it. Granted, all the people who could make those decisions will just be paid off.

By the sounds of it, not playing it in winter is madness. Of course, the logical thing to do is to take it from them, but no chance that will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

By the sounds of it, not playing it in winter is madness. Of course, the logical thing to do is to take it from them, but no chance that will happen.

There is a bigger chance than you might think.

Power in football belongs to the clubs. The clubs employ the players, and receive money from fans directly. Like we saw with the formation of the premier league, if the clubs stand together.....things get done.

This is also true on the international stage. There is power in numbers. Like bren2001 has said, if the major nations banded together and put their foot down....what can FIFA do but acquiesce?

The major nations breaking off and forming their own international organisation would mean the end of FIFA and they know this. FIFA's power is perceived power. It's not real. If England, Spain, Italy, Russia and Germany went to the FIFA hierarchy with one voice, they would have to listen. That's quite a chunk of the population and world player base right there.

The problem is, the powerful nations tend to bicker and points score. They need to get over that. Qatar getting the World Cup is one of the biggest scandals of recent times. It needs to be addressed.

So it looks like the FA are accepting it being moved to winter: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23640800

I just checked there and it's pretty funny that the ACN was just changed to odd-numbered years to prevent clashing with the World Cup but if the World Cup was held at the end of 2022 then the ACN will follow within a few weeks. Switching the WC to the start of 2022 would probably be easier from a timing POV anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Its not just the European teams that will be affected. There is plenty of South American players/Australian players etc etc playing in European domestic leagues. Then if the Domestic seasons are changed, you have the knock on affect for other sports, Like rugby league & cricket that is played during the summer in the UK. Imagine Old Trafford having to cope with a 5 day test match and Man United at home during the same weekend? So the big plan is also to have all these games in Qatar played indoors in air conditioned stadiums? So much for Fifa's green policy and reducing their carbon footprint. Money was always going to make this bubble burst, what with "Sky" high football subscriptions to pay tv providers and now TV rights under scrutiny to what channel can show what around the world and players contracts not being worth the paper they are written on, the day that bubble bursts is getting closer.

Was watching the opening night of the Bundesliga last night, That league is a breath of fresh air. Full stadiums (Low ticket prices), every match on TV and a show piece start to the season. They've changed their business plan to compete with EPL, to which they've done a fanstastic job. What do we get on the opening day of the EPL season...Liverpool V stoke as the opening match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Makes no sense to hold it in Qatar.

The Falkland Islands is a larger geographical entity and holds more of a claim to host it, despite them not having a national football team. At least the weather would be bearable, albeit a little cold.

This will come down to money in the end. Are the bribes FIFA officials got to select Qatar bigger than the loss of revenue for national football associations to screw up 3 seasons of domestic football in the larger leagues.

The way I see it is, the previous years confederations cup will screw up the 2020/2021 league season, the world cup the 2021/2022 league season and the 2022/2023 league season. This is due to holding a world cup in winter and screwing up the worlds domestic leagues. The 2022/23 season will be effected as the previous season will likely finish in mid-July and to give players a proper rest, the season will start mid-September. I can also see a big issue with player burnout and injuries due to this ridiculous decision to give Qatar a world cup.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

snaps wrote: »
    Imagine Old Trafford having to cope with a 5 day test match and Man United at home during the same weekend?

Old Trafford Football stadium and Old Trafford Cricket Ground are not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Old Trafford Football stadium and Old Trafford Cricket Ground are not the same.

He's not talking about the stadium.

• Advertisement
Advertisement