Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blatter Calling for World Cup Move

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I thought the bid was for a summer world cup...If they can't host it, give it to someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Old Trafford Football stadium and Old Trafford Cricket Ground are not the same.

They are next to each other, Sharing the same public transport systems. Policing etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Is it just me, are does there appear to be very little resistance to the absolute insane suggestion to move the 2022 WC to winter?

How can this suggestion have even gotten to the stage where it is a realistic possibility. It's nuts.

Blatter has admitted that it may have been an error to award to Qatar for Summer 2022, but maintains that it should remain in Qatar only be held in Winter. His reason... it discriminates against hot countries on or near the equator. They should also have the right to hold this tournament. He said that with a straight face. I sh*t you not.

By that rational we should have bought big wind machines and held the European surfing championships in Co Westmeath as opposed to Donegal in 2011, Lough Owel would have been ideal. It is after all discriminating against landlocked counties who also have a right to hold these tournaments.

The IOC should also look at holding the winter olympics in Yemen. In the interests of fairness.

I am of course being facetious, but you get the point I'm making.

It's beginning to look like a foregone conclusion and any hope of dissent from the larger more influential leagues is looking less and less likely.
    Surely The English FA should at least take a case against FIFA on the grounds that their bid is no longer relevant as it was based on a summer WC. If they had known it would be a winter WC they would have had a totally different and far better proposal.

I suppose it's worth saying, I am not totally opposed to the idea of a winter world cup. Obviously times change, traditions change, and we all move on. It's more the manner in which this is being pushed through that really grates, its almost comedic in effect with slap stick bad guys doing what they want but unfortunately no wholesome good guys to eventually win the day..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

What if the FA's pulled out of the tournament. If a few of the bigger nation's said they would boycott the world cup if it is in winter , would FIFA have any option but to move it to a more suitable country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

A winter world cup is just a terrible idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

yabadabado wrote: »
    What if the FA's pulled out of the tournament. If a few of the bigger nation's said they would boycott the world cup if it is in winter , would FIFA have any option but to move it to a more suitable country.

Whoever proposes such a boycott needs to be careful, as the antiBlatter/antiFIFA feelings really aren't as strong in the rest of the world as the English media would lead us believe.

The FA, and their new pitbull Greg Dyke have clearly been putting feelers out to see what the backing is for such a move though. I suspect there won't be enough support.

(FWIW I agree a winter world cup is a poor idea, not defending it).

Whoever propoes such a boycott needs to be careful, as the antiBlatter/antiFIFA feelings really aren't as strong in the rest of the world as the English media would lead us believe.

The FA, and their new pitbull Greg Dyke have clearly been putting feelers out to see what the backing is for such a move though. I suspect there won't be enough support.

(FWIW I agree a winter world cup is a poor idea, not defending it).

I reckon there would need to be at least 4 or 5 of the biggest nations supporting a boycott or it would fail . doubtful it would happen I'm sure FIFA looked into such a scenario and know they have the backers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

It would need teams from all the federations to boycott it and would have to be the biggest ones also to get any backing.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    It would need teams from all the federations to boycott it and would have to be the biggest ones also to get any backing.

I was thinking the very same thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

yabadabado wrote: »

This is what I can't understand. How are the big European leagues even entertaining the idea of a Winter WC in these circumstances?
    I would have assumed it would have been a straight forward decision for England, Germany, Spain, Italy, France, Holland, Belgium, Portugal etc etc to come out and just say no way.

I am at a loss as to why this is not happening.

If, as someone suggests, FIFA made sure they had backing from the big European leagues before pulling this stroke, what is in it for them to side with FIFA??

It's such an obviously stupid idea that I am actually wondering am I missing something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Blatter says an arabic country has to have the chance of hosting a world cup.

More like whoever gives me a nice big brown envelope full of notes gets to host the world cup.

Fifa have seriously lost all of its creditability.

Advertisement