Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pistols For Gallery Rifle

2»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

clivej wrote: »
    So very true. :(:(

It's good that your gun is better than you. The opposite is no fun at all.
    Seems everyone is shooting far better than me, even those using my AW93. :mad::mad::mad:

Practice, practice, practice. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

....... that both pistols shoot better than both of you are capable of

So very true. :(:(
    Seems everyone is shooting far better than me, even those using my AW93. :mad::mad::mad:

Start using your red dot scope again so. And encourage a few more people to use them. They aren't banned or anything.

insignia33 wrote: »
    WHats the craic if a lad was wanting to splash out. What would you recommend? Dont mean the obvious rugers and buckmarks. Just say you had 1500-1800 budget what would you look at. Heard the baikail izhs are good?

The Baikal IZH is a great pistol but has been out of production for nearly 10 years. They can still be bought second hand though. Several companies are making spare parts for them so you won't be left with a dud if a part goes on it. If you see one going cheap, then you won't go too far wrong with it.

It is actually very very like the Feinwerkbau AW93 that is being mentioned in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

This is probably where I should urge people to keep an eye on egun.de and other EU dealers for used guns - I got my Model 41 (1969 dated) in excellent condition for less than €400 including shipping from a dealer in Germany through Egun.
    Google translate and a bit of patience are the way to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

BattleCorp wrote: »
    It is actually very very like the Feinwerkbau AW93 that is being mentioned in this thread.
    That's because the AW93's design is based off the IZH. There used to be a rumour that they were IZH's that had been cleaned up, but that wasn't true.

You could also look out for a second-hand Walther KSP:

ksp1.jpg

They really are IZH pistols that have been cleaned up, polished (IZH only ever polished the surfaces that required polishing so the gun would work) and with a new grip.

BTW, this whole thing of "you can't use ISSF pistols for gallery because you can't hold them two-handed" -- has anyone ever taken the ISSF grips off them and put a non-ISSF grip on them? It's not like it'd be a difficult project...

MP35M_2_.JPG

Just get two knife handle blanks off ebay, get out the sandpaper and a power drill and some M4 screws and away you go. Total cost, about €20. Surely the accuracy improvement would make it worth trying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Just Listed (offers international shipping)

http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=4517397

Bild001.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

Civdef, thanks for the link. That looks gorgeous. How does one go about buying on egun ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Smudge08

Hi lads, anyone own or fired a S&W 617 revolver before? Would they be as accurate/reliable as say a S&W 41? Just wondering has anyone had any experience with revolvers.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Smudge08 wrote: »
    Hi lads, anyone own or fired a S&W 617 revolver before? Would they be as accurate/reliable as say a S&W 41? Just wondering has anyone had any experience with revolvers.

Thanks.

Yes, had a ruger single action and currently shoot a webley revolver. The main difference between the revolvers and semi auto's is the revolvers are heavier, the boreline is a lot higher on revolvers and they can be slower to load and unload in competitions. Revolvers are usually more reliable than semi's , especially in rimfires because the round doesn't have a slide to cycle, i have fired .22 shorts in the revolvers and they worked fine but there is no way they would have cycled a semi auto.

• Advertisement

Thanks Rowa. Would semi autos have a better reputation in terms of competitions so because of Load an unload times or is that a factor? What's your personal favourite, revolver or semi autos?

Thanks Rowa. Would semi autos have a better reputation in terms of competitions so because of Load an unload times or is that a factor? What's your personal favourite, revolver or semi autos?

You are correct, you would be at a serious disadvantage against semi auto pistols when it comes to competitions. They take too long to load etc. Plus if you have an unrestricted revolver, that means that you have to plug the cylinder to hold only 5 rounds. Semi autos that have been restricted to 5 shots can chamber one round so that allows for 6 shot strings. You can't do that with a revolver so it really isn't a runner at all if you are shooting T&P or Multi Target against semi auto pistols.

Now, after saying all that, there are seperate revolver competitions but they aren't as common as the competitions more suited to semi auto pistols.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Watch the olympic pistol competitions and see how many revolvers you can spot, zero. If the revolver held the slightest advantage over semi autos thats what the top competitors would be using.
    Don't get me wrong revolvers are lovely to shoot, well made usually and probably ok if you just want to compete in informal club competitions, but if you want to be serious about it buy a walther gsp , hammerli 208 or something like that.

Thanks again Rowa. I'm new to this and hopefully joining my local club soon. Any information is much appreciated. What would you suggest for a first pistol so? Revolver or semi auto? Which would be best to learn the basic skills? Competitions would be further down the line but definitely something I would love to get involved in. I've done some reading on the S&W 617 and 41 models. Also the browning buckmark. All seem to get pretty good reviews.

Hi, I was enquiring about a S&W 617 yesterday to see how much one might set me back. I was told I could expect to pay in the region of €1100. Just wondering if anyone here would see that as about right,good value or very expensive? Any feed back would be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭clivej

Hi, I was enquiring about a S&W 617 yesterday to see how much one might set me back. I was told I could expect to pay in the region of €1100. Just wondering if anyone here would see that as about right,good value or very expensive? Any feed back would be great

I see you look to have taken the 'That looks cool' route and not the 'I want a target handgun for gallery shooting'

First off a revolver is not any good for gallery type competition shooting. Try doing a mag reload 12 shots in 20 seconds to include a reload.

It would have to be restricted to 5 round cylinder capacity so block off all the other chambers.
    Try telling the Super you want it for competition.

I was shooting something like it and to hit a 6" shoot n see at 15m was an achievement.

May I suggest you go back to the start of this thread and read over again on the recommendation on the type of handgun to start you off with.

Quote post #2..........

"Smith & Wesson 22A/22S/Model 41
    Hammerli Xesse
    Browning Buckmark
    Beratta 87T

Spend the money once"

Something like this S&W 22A would be a good place to start you off.

269166.JPG
    S&W-22A 04.JPG

• Advertisement

I haven't gone down any particular route actually, it's was purely out of curiosity that made me want to find out how much something like a S&W 617 would cost in ireland and I was just looking for some feed back in terms of the price I got..

A browning buckmark is my preferred choice after handling a few different pistols some weeks back.

A browning buckmark is my preferred choice after handling a few different pistols some weeks back.

A Browning Buckmark is a good gun for gallery target shooting.

Try as many pistols as you can before you make a decision. Buy right and then you only buy once. I've seen plenty of lads buy something in a hurry only to find out that it isn't really suitable to do what they want it to do.

Like clivej said, if you are interested in Gallery Pistol competitions, then stay away from revolvers. It would be like facing off against the US marines armed with a stone. You wouldn't stand a chance in competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Heckler

BattleCorp wrote: »
    A Browning Buckmark is a good gun for gallery target shooting.

Try as many pistols as you can before you make a decision. Buy right and then you only buy once. I've seen plenty of lads buy something in a hurry only to find out that it isn't really suitable to do what they want it to do.

Like clivej said, if you are interested in Gallery Pistol competitions, then stay away from revolvers. It would be like facing off against the US marines armed with a stone. You wouldn't stand a chance in competitions.

Hi. I'm interested in getting into a bit of pistol shooting in the near future but when I hear people saying try as many pistols as you can first i'm a bit confused. Far as I'm aware its illegal to shoot someone elses pistol with no licence. Am I right or wrong ? Is it a case of what they don't know won't hurt them ? Think i heard of one club not so long ago that got into a heap of trouble over unlicenced people using other licenced members pistols.

Just recently at a pistol handling and safety course we had to use airsoft pistols whereas a few years ago we could all go out on the range and use instructors pistols to qualify.

Anyone clarify this for me ? Leaning toward the Hammerli xesse at the moment btw if anyone has any opinions on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭clivej

Heckler wrote: »
    Hi. I'm interested in getting into a bit of pistol shooting in the near future but when I hear people saying try as many pistols as you can first i'm a bit confused. Far as I'm aware its illegal to shoot someone elses pistol with no licence. Am I right or wrong ? Is it a case of what they don't know won't hurt them ? Think i heard of one club not so long ago that got into a heap of trouble over unlicenced people using other licenced members pistols.

Just recently at a pistol handling and safety course we had to use airsoft pistols whereas a few years ago we could all go out on the range and use instructors pistols to qualify.

Anyone clarify this for me ? Leaning toward the Hammerli xesse at the moment btw if anyone has any opinions on that.

PM sent you on this subject.

Far as I'm aware its illegal to shoot someone elses pistol with no licence. Am I right or wrong ?
    Section 2(4)(d) of the act says you don't need a licence to shoot if you're on an authorised target shooting range; so long as that range's authorisation doesn't have anything to the contrary in its conditions, it's not illegal. Not every range allows it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Heckler

Sparks wrote: »
    Section 2(4)(d) of the act says you don't need a licence to shoot if you're on an authorised target shooting range; so long as that range's authorisation doesn't have anything to the contrary in its conditions, it's not illegal. Not every range allows it though.

Maybe it's my clubs rules. Always good to learn something new. Thanks.

Maybe it's my clubs rules.
    Could be. A few clubs have rules against it for insurance reasons. But it's not illegal (so long as the authorisation doesn't forbid it).

Advertisement