Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wildly expensive chessboards

• 17-07-2013 5:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

So while wondering how much those DGT electronic boards cost ( €ouch, in case you were wondering yourself) I was browsing through the boards section of some of the online shops. And wow, are those some eyewatering prices. Try this on for size:

27300_299759456793832_667898839_n.jpg

263601_325018370934607_1098262764_n.jpg

That's the Dark Chess set by Purling of London, in Cobalt Blue. A snip at a mere €2,300...

And no, no DGT interface to a computer, the pieces aren't made from precious stones, the board is not mother-of-pearl or even a repurposed flatscreen monitor, it's just painted and lit to look that way. (And yes, I still think it's gorgeous and want one).

That's my candidate for "most wildly expensive chessboard" -- what's yours?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Ohhhh I have been so tempted by a DGT board but the price is ridiculous, there is Feck all to it from an electronics perspective to justify the price and I really don't like the way that they have exclusivity with fritz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭EnPassant

fenris wrote: »
    Ohhhh I have been so tempted by a DGT board but the price is ridiculous, there is Feck all to it from an electronics perspective to justify the price and I really don't like the way that they have exclusivity with fritz

I think that DGT type boards don't have a future.

Instead, we should have chess clocks with
    a) no buttons on top.
    b) 2 thin meter-long cables, each with a button at the end (one white, one black). Each player could then position the button to suit themselves - it would no longer matter what side of the board the clock was on. Possible your button would be lit up when it is your turn to move.
    c) the clock would have a camera and would photograph the board every time a button was pressed. Cameras nowadays have face-recognition software built in - it should be possible to recognize pieces relatively easily. The camera would obviously need to be a few inches above board level, but because players are not pressing the clock directly this wouldn't matter

So you could play using the Purling Dark Chess set and still have your moves displayed instantly on the internet ...

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Ciaran

From that link:
    Did You Know?

The “Game of Kings” was made affordable for the everyman with Jaques production of the Staunton Chess set.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Ciaran wrote: »
    From that link:

:D

Sure I have 2 of them at home...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

a huge list of expensive custom chess boards!

http://www.custommade.com/gallery/custom-chess-boards/

Advertisement