Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are these line stats?

• 17-07-2013 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

Was moved over to Eircom's Up to 24 MB product now. Line stats are:

DSL Mode: ADSL2Plus
    Speed: 12288kbps/670kbps
    Line attentuation (down/up): 43.8 dB/23.1 dB
    DSL noise margin: 6 dB/17.1 dB.

How is that DSL noise margin figure? Went down to 3.5 at one stage. Is it a bit low I wonder?

Speedtest:

2842675693.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Just a tiny bit on the low side, but should be ok, the attenuation is abit high too, which suggests that you are about 3.1km from the exchange. Did they say that 12mb was the max the line could handle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

allen175 wrote: »
    Just a tiny bit on the low side, but should be ok, the attenuation is abit high too, which suggests that you are about 3.1km from the exchange. Did they say that 12mb was the max the line could handle?

Yes, 12mb was the figure quoted. Checked stats again just now:

DSL Mode: ADSL2Plus
    Speed: 12288kbps/670kbps
    Line attentuation (down/up): 42.8 dB/23.1 dB
    DSL noise margin: 2.5 dB/17.3 dB.

Noise margin down result seems very low. Actually dipped to 1.8 dB at one stage. Speed needs to be set lower possibly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Possibly, what modem do you have? are all sockets filtered? Is the modem on the master socket? Have you tried testing the modem on the master socket and seeing if there is any difference in the results?

allen175 wrote: »
    Possibly, what modem do you have?

Eircom's own one, a Zxyel P-660.
    are all sockets filtered? Is the modem on the master socket?

Yes, filter in place. Modem is on master socket.
    Have you tried testing the modem on the master socket and seeing if there is any difference in the results?

Plugged it direct into master socket, DSL noise margin down read 6dB. Reconnected filter and other phones, reading again 6 dB.

When I was on the NGB up to 8MB package, the line was set to 7MB. DSL noise margin down figure then was about 12 to 14 dB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

You should be happy, your stats are worse than mine, but our speed is the same:

DSL Mode: ADSL2+
    Speed: 12287 kbps /670 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 30 dB /14 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 7 dB /19 dB

I'm 2.0km from the exchange, but my low noise margin prevents my speed from being better.

• Advertisement

You should be happy, your stats are worse than mine, but our speed is the same:

DSL Mode: ADSL2+
    Speed: 12287 kbps /670 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 30 dB /14 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 7 dB /19 dB

I'm 2.0km from the exchange, but my low noise margin prevents my speed from being better.

Your noise margin is better than mine. Dropping the speed might lift it a bit? Line more stable then? My margin currently is 3.7 dB down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

My line is 1 kilometer shorter than yours. I should have a much better speed than yours, but my noise margin is shít. I think your stats are pretty good considering how far from the exchange you are.

The longer the line, the worse your noise margin. If you ask Eircom to decrease your speed, your noise margin will improve as the more speed you force down your line, the more noise you get.

Advertisement