Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homepage Redesign v3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Masked Man wrote: »
    How exactly are you guys deciding which threads are bolded/unbolded and have the latest post arrow? Why didn't you just use the same system that vbulletin does?

We do, I spent the better part of yesterday writing that functionality to mimic vBulletin. Are there issues?

Danny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I love the new ( Old ) Layout. No more complaining from me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichT

My down arrows are invisible when using Chrome, but show up if I switch to IE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

RichT wrote: »

Try a hard refresh in chrome, Ctrl-R

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

This is because all three pages are stored in your browser when you initially load the page or tab.

This is even more confusing. If all 3 pages are loaded when I first hit the page why is the information spread over 3 pages? Showing me all the information in one place, at one time makes much more sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

We do, I spent the better part of yesterday writing that functionality to mimic vBulletin. Are there issues?

Danny

There are some threads which have new posts and are bolded when I'm in one of the forums, but aren't bolded on the front page and there's no button linking to latest post. The Spammer Notification Thread in Feedback is one.

I wouldn't call it an issue, I was just wondering why there was a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    This is the way it is in the CP. Changing it around would make it inconsistent.

No that's grand I changed my mind now :p

It's not that way in CP though there's no OPs listed there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichT

RichT wrote: »
    Try a hard refresh in chrome, Ctrl-R

That did the trick. Cheers!

'Hard Refresh'...... well I never.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

OK, at first glance I liked the changes made today.

On further inspection - no.

Previously my method of browsing the forum would be:
    • Open either Latest Posts or My Threads
    • See what's new or of interest, right click the "view first unread post" and open everything I want to read in different tabs
    • Close tabs as I've read them

Now it appears you can't right click on the button for "view first unread post"

Booooooooooooo.

I can right click on them in FF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭viota

I like the changes made today i can see it much better.I would like a batter skin but i can scan the homepage better now

I can right click on it and open in a new tab no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

maximoose wrote: »
    OK, at first glance I liked the changes made today.

On further inspection - no.

Previously my method of browsing the forum would be:
    • Open either Latest Posts or My Threads
    • See what's new or of interest, right click the "view first unread post" and open everything I want to read in different tabs
    • Close tabs as I've read them

Now it appears you can't right click on the button for "view first unread post"

Booooooooooooo.

I can right click on the arrow?

Masked Man wrote: »
    I can right click on it and open in a new tab no bother.

in IE?

(I'd be using chrome if it was my choice, but locked to IE when in work)

No, on firefox.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Thread starter under the thread title is a nice touch

in IE, you can't right click but you can ctrl+click for opening it in a new tab

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Urquell

Looks good guys, thanks a lot for taking the feedback on board. A lot of sites wouldnt have. Kudos!

That'll do so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

maximoose wrote: »
    That'll do so!

Clicking the middle mouse button/wheel might work in IE too?

• Advertisement

Better than before, I'd suggest having the "new post" button next to the thread title rather than the OP, seems a bit more logical to me. Also I'd prefer a few more links on each page to save switching pitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

A lot better yeah...

Any chance of fixing the mobile site thing? When I go to my home page on my phone (using Opera Mini) and click "My Threads" nothing happens...as is the same with the other tabs...

Great work tho guys, in fairness ye're taking the feedback well and doing yer best to suit the members...can't fault ye at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

nevermind figured it out...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

One other thing - in the old homepage, if I clicked into a thread, then hit back on my browser, it would take me back to the homepage version that I had previously looked at. Now, it takes me to a refreshed version of the page, if that makes any sense.

Sometimes I click into the wrong thread, or click open instead of open new tab, and now if I hit the back button I'll lose the thread because it might disappear off the front page.

A minor thing really and I don't know if this will make sense to anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Looking good guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

\o/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Thank you thank you thank you thank you.
    A million times better.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not bad ... the arrows for last unread post could do with being a teensy bit bigger in my opinion, at least the same height as the text, not smaller, like the ones on the vBulletin forum pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Newaglish wrote: »
    One other thing - in the old homepage, if I clicked into a thread, then hit back on my browser, it would take me back to the homepage version that I had previously looked at. Now, it takes me to a refreshed version of the page, if that makes any sense.

Sometimes I click into the wrong thread, or click open instead of open new tab, and now if I hit the back button I'll lose the thread because it might disappear off the front page.

A minor thing really and I don't know if this will make sense to anyone?

It makes sense, yes.

What you had before was a full page from the server. It came down from us to your browser with all thread content on it. Your browser than cached it locally, so when you hit back it brought up that cached page.

What you get now is a skeleton page - it has the basic layout of the homepage, but no content. When your browser has loaded this skeleton page some javascript fires a background request to the server to fetch the thread content for whatever tab you're on. You may also have noticed that the same background calls happen for advertisements, they tend to just "pop" in after you already see the page. The benefit of the skeleton page with background calls is a smaller, quicker initial page load. We present the site to you as soon as we can, and then fetch the other data we need asynchronously without you waiting on a white, blank page in your browser.

Unfortunately this skeleton page is now what your browser caches for the back button, so when you click back it will once again make a call to the server which will give you fresher data, and new advertisements (if you have them). There are ways to store the results of these background calls, but since there is no real way to differentiate a back button click vs a proper refresh/hard-refresh it introduces its own issues so we choose to cache nothing. Might I suggest middle-clicking or opening the threads from the homepage in a new tab in future?

Danny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Might I suggest middle-clicking or opening the threads from the homepage in a new tab in future?

Danny

Oh yeah, that's what I generally intend to do. Fat fingers and a slow brain don't always cooperate though.

Cheers for the explanation!

Advertisement