Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homepage Redesign v3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Ooh - the new layout is great - thank you :)

The only little thing that is left "annoying" me is when returning back to the homepage from reading a thread, I have to scroll back to where I was whereas the vBulletin homepage was bringing me back systematically to where I had scrolled.

Are you going to migrate the rest of the fora to the new platform soon ? Are we to expect many more changes?

Continue the good work :)

V

Edit : oh and I forgot ... when on page 2 or 3 of "My Threads" for example, going back by one page sends me back to "My Threads" page 1 ... not quite ideal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Thumbs up - this grid works, that brief affair with the 'pipe' seperating forum from thread was always gonna end bad ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Not sure if this is due to the redesign or not, but when I hover over the 'My Forums' tab, the drop-down box appears on the wrong side of my screen, and cut in half.

I'm using a nightly build of Firefox (24.0a2) so it might just be a bug in the browser. Haven't had a chance to try another browser yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Not sure if this is due to the redesign or not, but when I hover over the 'My Forums' tab, the drop-down box appears on the wrong side of my screen, and cut in half.

I'm using a nightly build of Firefox (24.0a2) so it might just be a bug in the browser. Haven't had a chance to try another browser yet.

My Forums dropdown is fine for me on Firefox 20.0.1, Chrome 27.0.1453.110m, IE 10.0.7

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

The front page looks a lot better now, guys. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Front page looking well now, thanks for changing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭scoobydoobie

Nice change with having the forum heading boxed off on the left, thanks for that, im having to put the curser on the thread title now to see the whole title, maybe that's because im on a notebook, but it wasn't the case before, is that the same for everyone? bit of a pain if so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

I like it, i like it a lot thank you for actually listening to us, its nice to see that aspect of boards still exists and is going strong, its nice to be listened to too, even nicer to know its brought about a homepage that works so well.

Thank you for the work you do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭franman

Thank you and fair play to listening to the feedback. Much much better!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I'm feeling a group hug coming on.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Much, much better. However if I go full site on an ipad I get the attached which makes the thread titles unreadable.

While this isn't the end of the world on the front page it would be very serious on the forums themselves as a moderator I need to be able to read the full posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

Just wondering if the wasted space is here to stay?

If you got rid of the thanks column and reduced the size of the text slightly, everything could be fitted onto one line.

Just think it would all be better on one line. You could then pad that line with a little bit of space on top and bottom so that everything doesn't look overly squashed.

Have to admit though, it does look much better than before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Also is anyone else getting incorrect bold/unbold on the my forums tab? Mine bears no relationship to what I've visited. My threads is working perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 24,507 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

really minor point but it looks like the bottom of g, y etc are getting cutoff in thread titles now by the line below. I keep seeing 'q's instead of 'g's everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Anyway to get rid of the thanks count on the home page? I can't see why someone would read a thread based on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

really minor point but it looks like the bottom of g, y etc are getting cutoff in thread titles now by the line below. I keep seeing 'q's instead of 'g's everywhere

Would you mind starting a thread over in site dev? We'll take a look into it, cheers

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

If you got rid of the thanks column and reduced the size of the text slightly, everything could be fitted onto one line.

Just think it would all be better on one line. You could then pad that line with a little bit of space on top and bottom so that everything doesn't look overly squashed.

Have to admit though, it does look much better than before.

Nicola addressed the issue of putting all content onto one line earlier yesterday, you can read it here.
    Also is anyone else getting incorrect bold/unbold on the my forums tab? Mine bears no relationship to what I've visited. My threads is working perfectly
    If this issue is still persisting, please report it in Site Development. Thanks!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I would have agreed with you before, but was on the iPad last night an saw the same view as Musicmental85 posted here. There's hardly any space at all for the thread titles, never mind moving the two poster names to the same line.

For me, the "Thanks" column can go, and the padding could lose two or three pixels, but the elephant in the room is the "Announcements" column on the right. I guess it remains to be seen whether the future content of that box justifies the space it's allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

With regards to having all the content on one line, when the team were working on this they went through all possible iterations of the forum/thread view; we've a huge variation in platform and screen resolution and we have to try and cater for everyone.

How come the old front-page worked with one line per post?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Oh yeah this is a lot cleaner now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

padraig_f wrote: »

Because of.. ummm.. reasons... and stuff.

Design team don't like that design. Which is why we've got a new homepage design.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Sorry if it's been covered already, but the go to latest post link in the post count column isnt working on my pc in work -there's just no link there. (IE9, Win 7)

How do I get to the latest post on a thread without going to the first page and then clicking last page?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Gaspode wrote: »
    Sorry if it's been covered already, but the go to latest post link in the post count column isnt working on my pc in work -there's just no link there. (IE9, Win 7)

How do I get to the latest post on a thread without going to the first page and then clicking last page?

There's now a little arrow next to the username of the latest poster that you can click, similar to the User CP Followed Threads layout.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Gaspode wrote: »

You should see an arrow in the 'Latest Post' column next to the username of the last poster - this takes you to last post in the thread.

The arrow under the thread title in 'Thread title / Thread starter' column will take you to next unread post.

If neither of these are showing/working for you would you mind posting in Site Dev? Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

Dades wrote: »
    I would have agreed with you before, but was on the iPad last night an saw the same view as Musicmental85 posted here. There's hardly any space at all for the thread titles, never mind moving the two poster names to the same line.

For me, the "Thanks" column can go, and the padding could lose two or three pixels, but the elephant in the room is the "Announcements" column on the right. I guess it remains to be seen whether the future content of that box justifies the space it's allowed.

Personally I'm still seeing some wasted space on my laptop browser.

Have added a pic.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/302uqma.jpg

Going to be hard to please everyone I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Im much happier now. You can all thank me for how it looks after the refreshes.
    Yep all me........and by me I mean them......>_>

I notice there's some new information under the thread title, the thread-starter. Can we lose this?

I think it's irrelevant information to have on the front page summary. Most of the time I don't care who started the thread (unless I'm actually reading the first post).

It's clutter, and when I look at it, I keep thinking it's the name of the latest poster.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Because of.. ummm.. reasons... and stuff.

Design team don't like that design. Which is why we've got a new homepage design.

Just to clarify my question there. The response given to support the 2-lines per post ('we have to support many resolutions') I felt was inadequate. The old design supported supported smaller resolutions for years. The reasons for the two-lines per post is the new design changes, not supporting of smaller resolutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

You're also missing the very first point that we've raised about the information being far too cluttered in the old "Excel file" type - this layout is far easier on the eyes and having 2 lines of text with the thread title and thread starter is something we've rolled out on the Talk To forums so this is consistent with that design and we will most likely follow suit when we start to look at a redesign of the forum page on the rest of the site.

There now follows some PERSONAL comments and this is not to be taken as any sort of "official" response...

To suggest that this design is just because we didn't like the old one is not only petty and incorrect, but more than a little disrespectful to the people that work here - they are my colleagues and my friends (and as I already mentioned, Boardsies too) and I'm not going to accept them being abused in this manner on this forum any longer. I don't know why some people seem to think it's acceptable to not only insult but question the professional ability of the people who work here - it's the sort of thing other businesses try to sue us over all the time.

If you have criticism of the layout, that's fine, we're happy to accept that and work on it (and as you can see, we've been doing that for the last 2 weeks). I'll remind everyone that the Distilled Media Group is Ireland's biggest online publisher - the people who work here know their game and know it well.

I'm sorry to have to get "thick" about it, but there's only so much of this abuse of my friends that I'm prepared to tolerate.

End of rant.

So, getting back on track, I think it's fair to suggest that the current layout has got a pretty good compromise between the old look and the new designs we initially suggested. Overall we seem to have a positive response from the majority of you who've been helping with feedback, so thank you again for that. My next plan is to do a video pointing out the current features and navigation tools (like the arrows for first unread/last post etc) for everyone now that the design's been finalised.

The tech team are working on a snag list at the moment - I'd say it'll be Monday before they roll any updates out. Please keep the feedback coming, and as always, if you have a bug, please post it to the Site Development forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

LizT wrote: »
    I'm feeling a group hug coming on.....

well they deserve it, we are fast to criticise when they get it wrong, we should be equally as fast to praise them when they get it right, tis only fair! :pac:

*group hugs*

as for the spacing on a 13inch macbook/ipad/iphone its perfect to me, not too spacious not too squished,

ill get back to you in september when i get back to college and our 22inch screens :D

Advertisement