Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homepage Redesign v3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭viota

better layout horrible colours.Th dark theme is way too hard on my eyes and the light theme is outdated.Any chance of getting different one's? Orange font on black background is too harsh on my eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

viota wrote: »
    better layout horrible colours.Th dark theme is way too hard on my eyes and the light theme is outdated.Any chance of getting different one's? Orange font on black background is too harsh on my eyes

Not in the immediate (12 - 24 months) future I'm afraid. Very, very few sites allow any level of customisation of the UI - the reasons for this are mostly the additional time it takes to re-design everything when changes need to be made. In the past, with all the additional vBulletin skins installed, even a minor update to a page would take hours of dev time to roll it out across all of the skins and then to test it worked. It's the main reason we're not supporting those old skins anymore.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Just want to chime in this is a thousand times better, I'd stopped using the front page completely, it's useful again now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    There's now a little arrow next to the username of the latest poster that you can click, similar to the User CP Followed Threads layout.
    You should see an arrow in the 'Latest Post' column next to the username of the last poster - this takes you to last post in the thread.

The arrow under the thread title in 'Thread title / Thread starter' column will take you to next unread post.

If neither of these are showing/working for you would you mind posting in Site Dev? Thanks :)

Thanks guys, hadnt even noticed the little arrow! What a doofus :o.
    That's great both arrows work perfectly. Will try it out on the kindle later see if my meaty fingers can manage to click the arrow and not the username.
    (apologies to all the users whose homepage I've shown up as visiting!)

Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Is it just me or on the dark css do the new arrows look like missing image icons?

Also, I asked this before the redesign but is there any reason clicking on the thread title cant bring you to the last unread post?

I cant figure out the use case where someone would want to go to the start of a thread they have already read?
    Or at least I cant imagine that happens a fraction of the amount of time someone wants to go to their last read post?

it would also make it far easier to use the full site on a phone/tablet. (Which I do often as modding on touch is...not great :))

Other than that, new changes are making the homepage much more usable again, well done!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

THAAANKKK YOUUUUUU :D

Seriously, this is much better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

My main problem with the previous design was that it was difficult to skim through quickly. This one is so much better for that. It's looking very nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The latest redesign is very usable. A good evolution from the old frontpage.

Well done to the Boards team for being prepared to listen to constructive advice and criticism from the Members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

Good morning folks,

We've just made a few more changes this morning which are listed below:

1) Clicking bottom pagination will scroll the user to the top of the content.
    2) On small screens we no longer restrict the thread title to one line. It makes using the iPad, iPhone etc much more user friendly.
    3) Clicking on the active tab again will refresh the content in the tab.

As always, feedback is appreciated. If you spot any bugs please do pop over to Site Dev to let the tech team know.

Thanks,
    Nicola

That's an important one, it was annoying me a little bit. Thanks guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

When I'm logged in, why is the header different on the homepage to everywhere else on the site? I'm using the boards.ie beta skin and the way it displays sub-fora is much more efficient than what is on the homepage. Also the fact the order is slightly different is annoying.

If I don't find anything interesting to click on in the list of threads on the front page I will go to forums I like using the header navigation. The fact it behaves differently on the homepage to the rest of the site is very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Good morning folks,

2) On small screens we no longer restrict the thread title to one line. It makes using the iPad, iPhone etc much more user friendly.

As always, feedback is appreciated. If you spot any bugs please do pop over to Site Dev to let the tech team know.

Thanks,
    Nicola

Thanking you kindly. The refresh is extremely handy.
    Seifer wrote: »
    When I'm logged in, why is the header different on the homepage to everywhere else on the site? I'm using the boards.ie beta skin and the way it displays sub-fora is much more efficient than what is on the homepage. Also the fact the order is slightly different is annoying.

If I don't find anything interesting to click on in the list of threads on the front page I will go to forums I like using the header navigation. The fact it behaves differently on the homepage to the rest of the site is very annoying.

Because the old beta is on vBulletin and the new homepage isn't. So whenever you go to the homepage, it boots you to the new, non-vBulletin style.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Because the old beta is on vBulletin and the new homepage isn't. So whenever you go to the homepage, it boots you to the new, non-vBulletin style.
    It was really more of a rhetorical question high-lighting that it's awful having your header change across your site especially when the new header is worse than the old one i.e. having to click to see sub-fora.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Seifer wrote: »
    ...the new header is worse than the old one...

The new header is better than the old one. That's the point of these threads. Just because you are more used to the beta skin doesn't mean it's better. I'm more used to the beta skin, but it's b0rked now so it's pointless hanging on to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Good morning folks,

Thanks,
    Nicola

These changes are awesome but there's still a problem when I click the on the tab again. The page cuts down like this.

Fhit4fP.png

The new header is better than the old one. That's the point of these threads. Just because you are more used to the beta skin doesn't mean it's better. I'm more used to the beta skin, but it's b0rked now so it's pointless hanging on to it.
    It is better; it requires fewer clicks to get where you want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Maybe I'm being dense here, but clicking what exactly?

Masked Man wrote: »
    These changes are awesome but there's still a problem when I click the on the tab again. The page cuts down like this.

Just checked, this happens to me too. Both the dark and default skins.

Here's how I provoked it:

-Go to homepage
    -The URL at the top is just www.boards.ie
    -The tab being displayed is 'Latest posts' by default.
    -Click the 'Latest posts' tab, URL changes to www.boards.ie/#tabs-latest
    -The page will scroll down to about halfway down the first post on the list

Only works when going from www.boards.ie to www.boards.ie/#tabs-latest as in from default to 'Latest' again.

Should probably post this in Site Dev though, Masked Man since you found it you should have the honour....saves me the trouble too :pac:
    Alun wrote: »

The 'go to the next page' arrow at the bottom. Before, when you clicked it the page used to remain scrolled to the bottom but now it scrolls up the top of the list on page 2 or whatever the next page was.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Alun wrote: »

Clicking on the arrows in "< 1 of 3 >", etc, at the bottom of the screen will bring you back to the top of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Should probably post this in Site Dev though, Masked Man since you found it you should have the honour....saves me the trouble too :pac:

Thread about similar issue here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Thread about similar issue here.

Cheers, I just quoted both posts into that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Clicking on the arrows in "< 1 of 3 >", etc, at the bottom of the screen will bring you back to the top of the page.
    Ah, OK .. I tried that, but was expecting the same behaviour even on a greyed out arrow, i.e. if I was on Page 1 and scrolled down to the bottom that clicking on the greyed out < I'd be taken to the top of that page.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    If all 3 pages are loaded when I first hit the homepage why is the information spread over 3 pages? Showing me all the information in one place, at one time makes much more sense.

If we could remove the 3 pages thing & show the whole list on the homepage I'd be happy with the new layout. I still think there's not enough information shown and I don't understand the benefit of having 3 pages instead of 1, especially when all the info is loaded initially.

Thank you for all your work so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Question: In the Forum column, each item is tucked into the top left of the cell, probably because the thread title/poster cell takes up more vertical space by virtue of using up a second line. It looks a bit untidy to my mind, any chance you could vertically center the forum name in the cell instead, or otherwise optimise the space?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Someone asked it earlier in the thread but some stats on how many are actually clicking through to the third page of the homepage would be interesting. I don't really do that at all, just hit refresh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Someone asked it earlier in the thread but some stats on how many are actually clicking through to the third page of the homepage would be interesting. I don't really do that at all, just hit refresh

Stats for a curiosity isn't something I normally do, because they can be used to prove and point and beat down a decision that has reasons outside the realm of pure clicks/numbers but there have been over 45,000 page changes in the last two weeks, predominately on the latest posts tab. The average value is 2.3, so there are people are going to page 3 (if they weren't we'd see the average value drop to <= 2).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Thank you all so much for taking all the feedback on board. Front page is 1,000 times better! Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

This brings up another annoyance - the First page is basically spam from After Hours - a feature to filter out forums shown on the Main page would be most welcome.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 24,507 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Hi, how come the login on the homepage won't remember your details while the login page does?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Hi, how come the login on the homepage won't remember your details while the login page does?

It does? I don't save any login information for any site, but I've just logged in via the homepage, saved my details and logged out again and Chrome autofilled my username/password just fine. What browser? Also, Site Development for bug reports :)

Danny

Advertisement