Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homepage Redesign v3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I used the homepage login and ticked the box and works fine for me using google chrome anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

GreeBo wrote: »
    Also, I asked this before the redesign but is there any reason clicking on the thread title cant bring you to the last unread post?

I cant figure out the use case where someone would want to go to the start of a thread they have already read?
    Or at least I cant imagine that happens a fraction of the amount of time someone wants to go to their last read post?

it would also make it far easier to use the full site on a phone/tablet. (Which I do often as modding on touch is...not great :))

Anything on this point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

GreeBo wrote: »
    Anything on this point?

The homepage links mirror that of forums and thus the thread link will always bring you to the first page of a thread. There are other ways to get to the oldest unread post and the latest post via the icons.

The touch site is different because of the limited real estate we have to work with. There are no plans to change the links on the homepage.

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The homepage links mirror that of forums and thus the thread link will always bring you to the first page of a thread. There are other ways to get to the oldest unread post and the latest post via the icons.

The touch site is different because of the limited real estate we have to work with. There are no plans to change the links on the homepage.

Danny

Thanks, I guess my point is that if the redesign is starting with the homepage, it doesnt have to mimic the other forum links?

I really cant see the point of the biggest link (i.e. the title) being the least useful link and the most useful links (last & unread) being the smallest, but maybe Im missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭championc

I hope you don't mind me not reading through pages and pages of posts but I only have one problem / issue.

To the right of my name along the top bar, it displays the number of Messages or changed Threads. However, if I click on the Followed Threads, it brings me to My Subscriptions but from here, there is no way to view from the Last Read post onwards.

So when I see the RED notification showing I have updates, I need to go back to the Home Screen, , click on the My Threads Tab, then click on the arrow under the Thread I want to review.

So the Thread links connected to the name are pointless

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

championc wrote: »
    I hope you don't mind me not reading through pages and pages of posts but I only have one problem / issue.

To the right of my name along the top bar, it displays the number of Messages or changed Threads. However, if I click on the Followed Threads, it brings me to My Subscriptions but from here, there is no way to view from the Last Read post onwards.

So when I see the RED notification showing I have updates, I need to go back to the Home Screen, , click on the My Threads Tab, then click on the arrow under the Thread I want to review.

So the Thread links connected to the name are pointless
    Nothing on that page has changed, you click on the blue down-facing arrow beside the Thread Title to go to the next unread post or click on the right-facing blue arrow next to the last poster's name to go to the last post in the thread.

This is not a Homepage Redesign issue but if this is not displaying for you as described, please post details in Site Development, thanks.

Please see the attached screenshot of an unread thread on the page you get to by clicking the Followed Threads link in the dropdown in the menu.

You can see the downward facing arrow is pre-pended to the thread title. Clicking this will bring you to the oldest unread post.

263954.png

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭championc

I never noticed this - It's well hidden !! Any chance you can amend it's position to make it more consistent with the My Threads tab.

BTW, please tell me I'm not the first person to say and not notice this link

Regards
    C

I never noticed this - It's well hidden !! Any chance you can amend it's position to make it more consistent with the My Threads tab.

BTW, please tell me I'm not the first person to say and not notice this link

Regards
    C

I've not seen the issue come up before no, you could be all on your own. I'd be hesitant to move it, but fire a Feature Suggestion into Site Development and we'll see what everybody thinks because it's not really a home page issue :)

Danny

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Another question regarding the little arrow icons - why cant I right click on them and get an 'opan link in new tab' or 'open ling in new window option' ? Are they not hyperlinks per se?
    (same on Chrome, IE and Kindle fire browsers)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Whatever happened last night is great I can now see te full thread title. Big improvement I'd still like the thanks count off the main page.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Gaspode wrote: »
    Another question regarding the little arrow icons - why cant I right click on them and get an 'opan link in new tab' or 'open ling in new window option' ? Are they not hyperlinks per se?
    (same on Chrome, IE and Kindle fire browsers)
    I can.

right-click.png

Chrome on Fedora.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I can.

Similarly, I had no problem last night on Windows doing the same thing.

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Latest version of the homepage is a vast improvement so thanks for that :)

2 things though..

- I've noticed in the last 2 weeks that pages can be very slow to finish loading at times - eg: it can take up to 30 seconds for a thread to finish loading the full page. Anyone seen this?

- When scrolling rapidly down pages, sometimes the entire thing will flicker/disappear and replaced with a white/grey "chessboard" effect until you stop scrolling. Hard to describe but hopefully this makes sense?

Both experienced under Win 8 Enterprise, Chrome 28.0.1500.72 m, on a DELL Latitude E6220 with an i5 and 8GB RAM. All drivers/updates are up to speed.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Whatever happened last night is great I can now see te full thread title. Big improvement I'd still like the thanks count off the main page.

I don't really see why people are so annoyed with the thanks button.

It is nice and discrete, you don't have to go near it if you don't like it.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I've noticed in the last 2 weeks that pages can be very slow to finish loading at times - eg: it can take up to 30 seconds for a thread to finish loading the full page. Anyone seen this?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056994832

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Similarly, I had no problem last night on Windows doing the same thing.

Danny

OK, a restart of my pc at home has sorted this out for the Chrome browser, but my work laptop shows this when I right click:
    picture.php?albumid=56&pictureid=14896

Have tried a reboot, but no change. Maybe it's something to do with the image that my employers have on the machines here? Mind you, right clicking on the thread title itself does work fine - I get the proper contect menus - however it wont bring me to the last page/unread post.
    This is windows 7, IE9.08 btw.

(PS Not too bothered about what happens with the kindle browser!)

Typical Internet Explorer, what a horrible browser. Shift & Click the links for now, that should work. We'll see what we can do to over the inadequacies in the mean time.

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

It might have been suggested previously and I apologise if it has :)

In the "My Threads" tab, it'd be really cool if there was a way to cancel the subscription to a particular thread rather having to go to the Control Panel :)

Thanks - V

ValerieR wrote: »
    It might have been suggested previously and I apologise if it has :)

In the "My Threads" tab, it'd be really cool if there was a way to cancel the subscription to a particular thread rather having to go to the Control Panel :)

Thanks - V

I'm afraid this isn't functionality designed for a homepage - it's more control panel behaviour.

Danny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Much better.

But why are you persisting with the "Thanks" column? Nobody wants it.

Put more posts on the first page, get rid of the other 2 pages (ie. turn off pagination) and you're done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I think this may have been answered before, but is there any scope for giving a CP option for the number of threads that appear on the homepage?

Something similar to the posts/page setting now. Set the default to the current 3 pages of 25, give people the option to set it to 2 pages of 37 or 1 page of 75.

That way, new users wouldn't be overwhelmed by massive walls of text, and more seasoned users can have more text. I mean, when I started I used 10 posts/page for a month or so until I got used to the site, then switched to 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Typical Internet Explorer, what a horrible browser. Shift & Click the links for now, that should work. We'll see what we can do to over the inadequacies in the mean time.

While you're at it Danny, the site's not really rendering well in links on my vt220, could you sort it out?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Sparks wrote: »
    While you're at it Danny, the site's not really rendering well in links on my vt220, could you sort it out?

It doesn't render too well in links2 either....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Spear wrote: »
    It doesn't render too well in links2 either....
    Nor in elinks nor lynx. It's quite upsetting, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Why is it when I click on the my threads link on the Boards drop down menu that it brings me back to the home page?Really annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So then, those promised filters....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

seligehgit wrote: »
    Why is it when I click on the my threads link on the Boards drop down menu that it brings me back to the home page?Really annoying.

Are you talking about the old beta skin? Did it not always bring you back to the homepage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

mike65 wrote: »
    So then, those promised filters....

Could you expand on the above please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Are you talking about the old beta skin? Did it not always bring you back to the homepage?

In the past pre the new home page design if I was on a particular thread and brought down the boards.ie drop down menu and selected my threads,my threads were brought up on the home page,now it brings up the latest posts??

Advertisement