Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Did you know there was originally going to be a boss you fight half way through the New Londo Ruins? You'd have to fight him on top of the church to get the seal.

Y15SDgRl.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nope. Some of the cut content in that game is very interesting. Lost Izalith as well was very rushed I'd love to have seen it fleshed out better.

Originally they planned to have way, way more dragon butts!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I remember that area being a nightmare before the patch as well, the dragon butts got agro'ed way easier back then!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,759 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I haven't played it since release, but that was a definite 'leg it the **** to the end and hope those bastard ghosts don't get you' sort of level. Good times.

The ghosts were pretty weak once you knew you had to be cursed to damage them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Is online really that necessary with Dark Souls?

I loved the game (and the single playerness of it all) - but keep being told that I missed out on lots by staying offline.

Tempted to sort out a Live subscription for the sequel. What ye think?

It's not essential but it adds a whole lot to the experience. Even if you don't partake in PVP there's lots of stuff like the bloody stains and messages that add to the game ('Amazing chest ahead!') and the apparitions of other players that appear fighting in your world really add to the atmosphere.

Doing some co-op as well is a good way to beat tough bosses and earn some easy souls, not to mention that it's a lot of fun as well. Getting invaded can be quite tense as well.

It's probably the only multiplayer game I enjoy and it's all thanks to the lack of microphone support. I don't play multiplayer games any more but with Dark Souls it feels like a single player game with online elements that enhance that experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,759 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah online is great - subtle but intelligent integration throughout, that adds an extra layer to the experience. The ambiguous ghostly messages are such a brilliant idea. If you're going for high level play, then a lot of the game's systems and covenants only come into their own when you are online.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, I had fun with the hour of play, thanks in the main to Retr0 doing in the Hydra for me, not that the attacks were the problem, just that stupid drop off in the lake!

I think I'll get some money down on the sequel, should be a blast

• Advertisement

Always a great experience when you help someone against the bell gargoyles and then afterward when you get back to your own world you hear the bell ringing shortly afterward.

I've heard there might actually be some voice chat in DS2, depending on the covenant. I'm sure they'll have implemented in an interesting way though.

I think voice chat is optional. I'll be leaving mine off. I prefer it that way since I don't like talking to randomers online and it helps with the experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

True, nothing would spoil Dark Souls 2 and it's carefully crafted atmosphere than an american kid calling you "Ghey" over and over again because you walked off a hidden cliff edge.

Could be fun to roleplay... just make sure every second word is 'verily'

Right, just back from GS, where I was taken dry from behind without even a glass of wine and a fine dinner to compensate, still with it being a preorder I got an extra 25% on the, frankly, shameful credit for a bunch of games I'll never play and I just need to supplement that with another €25 come Friday!
    Then, let the suffering begin!

I see GameStop.ie are working with Parcel Motel now for free deliveries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Just had a quick read of this, should help those of you trying to choose between platforms for DS2:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-dark-souls-2-face-off

Or just make it trickier.
    PS3: Higher res textures + vsync
    vs
    360: Higher res alpha maps + higher framerate (with screen tearing)
    DinoRex wrote: »
    I see GameStop.ie are working with Parcel Motel now for free deliveries.

Seems to be just for Titanfall and DS2, but I'm sure if it does well they'll do it with others too.

Werner Herzog's playthrough of the game is all I need to know:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Just about to try Demon Souls for the first time... :eek:

• Advertisement

tumblr_m0n1kg8IbM1qa70eyo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

How did it go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

can I claim on becoming a gaming widow from DS2?

Sera wrote: »
    can I claim on becoming a gaming widow from DS2?

Not until Friday.

Don't worry, you have more than enough games of your own to make him a gaming widower.
    Plus, you've the added advantage of not having Sauron wondering why you are playing games instead of cleaning your room, doing chores, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

So if you have a modified PS3 don't go using a version spoofer just to use Netflix before a new CFW has been released.

You might find yourself console and account banned from SEN.

Don't ask me how I know this. :_-(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

MrVestek wrote: »
    So if you have a modified PS3 don't go using a version spoofer just to use Netflix before a new CFW has been released.

You might find yourself console and account banned from SEN.

Don't ask me how I know this. :_-(

Can't you un-ban a cfw PS3? Fairly sure you could at one stage anyway

Anyone play TxK on the Vita? It's pretty much Tempest 2000 on a console that isn't utter ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

What cfw were you on? Rogero 4.50?

What cfw were you on? Rogero 4.50?

Rogero 4.54.

Myrddin wrote: »
    Can't you un-ban a cfw PS3? Fairly sure you could at one stage anyway

You can but you'll need to extract a console ID and corresponding psid (not the same as your PSNiD) in order to be accepted back on to the network.

The main pisser is my main account being banned with all those trophies and saves etc unusable now.

I might give support a call later on and spurn them a yarn to see if they'll take pity on me.

Social engineering... let's see if it's all it's cracked up to be!

• Advertisement

You can but you'll need to extract a console ID and corresponding psid (not the same as your PSNiD) in order to be accepted back on to the network.

The main pisser is my main account being banned with all those trophies and saves etc unusable now.

I might give support a call later on and spurn them a yarn to see if they'll take pity on me.

Social engineering... let's see if it's all it's cracked up to be!

Ah, I see. So you need a modded, unbanned donor console to unban your modded banned one? Seems a bit pointless alright. How are the saves unusable, do they corrupt them or something?

Ah, I see. So you need a modded, unbanned donor console to unban your modded banned one? Seems a bit pointless alright. How are the saves unusable, do they corrupt them or something?

Aren't they tied the original account? Perhaps I'm mistaken in that regard.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Anyone play TxK on the Vita? It's pretty much Tempest 2000 on a console that isn't utter ****e.

I have it a few weeks and it's pretty damn nice.
    The visuals are relatively clear for a Tempest title from Mr Minter and the action is never too busy to follow.
    Not quite as good as Tempest 2000 imho though and I'd love to see a HD version on the PS3.

I must get back to the same but different Space Giraffe as well, that game was bonkers

Aren't they tied the original account? Perhaps I'm mistaken in that regard.

They are, but if the PS3 is modded you can extract the saves & resign them...I think

They are, but if the PS3 is modded you can extract the saves & resign them...I think

Effort. Effort effort and more effort.

Balls to it. I'm going to try the social engineering route first. If I manage to convince them to unban my account then I can worry about unbanning the console at a later date.

There are known 'good' ids for sale so if I need to go down that route then I will.

It was pretty stupid of me to use that spoofer in Hindsight. I have the WiiU hooked up to the TV already but for some reason it doesn't do passthrough surround sound... and I wanted surround sound via Netflix that day. A new CFW based on 4.55 hadn't been released yet as it was the day that the mandatory update was released.

Boourns... I need to learn how to be patient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Has anyone experimented with either Kaillera or Mamehub ?

Both are network enabled version of Mame so two player games can be played across the interweb thing.

Has anyone experimented with either Kaillera or Mamehub ?

Both are network enabled version of Mame so two player games can be played across the interweb thing.

Experimented with Kaillera back in 2004 or so when it was just getting started.

It was quite good, had a good number of thrashings on Street Fighter Alpha 3 if I remember correctly.

It could get laggy from time to time but I'm sure it's much improved since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

I always wanted to give multiplayer mame a bash, but never actually bothered asking on here for some silly reason! :o

waveform wrote: »
    I always wanted to give multiplayer mame a bash, but never actually bothered asking on here for some silly reason! :o

Give me a bell on the auld FB any time you're up for a match.

I can either connect the Xbox Controller to the laptop for a quick bash or mosey on over to the bartop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

Give me a bell on the auld FB any time you're up for a match.

I can either connect the Xbox Controller to the laptop for a quick bash or mosey on over to the bartop.

You'd probably defriend me for all the times my PC would crash, still haven't bothered repairing it! :P

Being a new user to tablets and smarthphones has me ruined!

Might do a custom build when the Rift consumer version is released, but that could be a while.

• Advertisement

Time to get fat!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Time to get fat!

Or, in my case, fatter :(
    No, I tell a lie, as a coeliac I shall be immediately binning the food and keeping the toy.... it's my son that'll be piling on the pounds

DinoRex wrote: »
    domhnall gleeson?

ಠ_ಠ

someone accidentally posted a link to there man crush :D

Wouldn't be so odd if the correct URL wasn't used as well :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

You can just buy the toys on their own from mcd's. I think they're 70c or something.

It's a good excuse to post this:

Apologies, I had posted on AICN where some twonk referred to a group of actors in the running for the role of Dr Doom as from the UK, including Brendan Gleesons boy.
    I had to retort but rather than spell the name wrong and look like a bigger fool I copied and pasted it, after that it was to the pleasant environs of Boards.ie
    Don't know what happened then, given the URL kinda half pasted over.... weird...

• Advertisement

No one else have a slight twinge of regret that Dark Souls 2 has such a mainstream buzz now?
    When some of us jumped on the Demons Souls import train it was a rare title to see on these shores, given it was on the PS3 which hadn't really gotten into it's stride and it was import only at the time.
    It broadened out a bit with the PAL release, which was pretty decent, and with Dark Souls a lot of folk were at last catching on to the series delights, but it was, at first maybe, not out there.
    But the release of Dark Souls 2 seems to have attracted a lot of attention now, and it doesn't feel quite like the discovery the games once represented.
    Anyone else know what I mean?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement