Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Anyone else know what I mean?

Totally, you played it before it was cool! :P

/Ciderman hipster mode activated! ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,759 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

AICN?! Cidey, you need to block your browsers from accessing that dark, dark corner of the Internet immediately!

Also, any Souls elitism is reserved for those who've completed the game :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

AICN?! Cidey, you need to block your browsers from accessing that dark, dark corner of the Internet immediately!

Come on then, what's wrong with it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I remember getting Demon's Souls first. The wiki front page was dedicated to alerting people when new copies had shipped and where they were available. IT was a very hard game to trakc down and at the time the yen was very strong so it was nearly 85 euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

No one else have a slight twinge of regret that Dark Souls 2 has such a mainstream buzz now?
    When some of us jumped on the Demons Souls import train it was a rare title to see on these shores, given it was on the PS3 which hadn't really gotten into it's stride and it was import only at the time.
    It broadened out a bit with the PAL release, which was pretty decent, and with Dark Souls a lot of folk were at last catching on to the series delights, but it was, at first maybe, not out there.
    But the release of Dark Souls 2 seems to have attracted a lot of attention now, and it doesn't feel quite like the discovery the games once represented.
    Anyone else know what I mean?

Discovery, mystery and difficulty are huge parts of the game.

When those qualities are embodied in buying the game itself, it's definitely an interesting thing. Like the physical copy is a relic to be cherished.

Saying that, more exposure means more sales and more sales means more sequels.

Which in turn, can see more copycat games and who knows, maybe a revival in hard as nail games.

As long as it doesn't turn into Dark Souls: Modern Warefare all is good :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

NaoPi - load games into Naomi using a RasbPi.

Might be of interest to some here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

NaoPi - load games into Naomi using a RasbPi.

Might be of interest to some here.

That's a nice elegant solution.

I'd love to do a tutorial video about that but I won't have a Naomi system to play with any time soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

MrVestek wrote: »
    That's a nice elegant solution.

I'd love to do a tutorial video about that but I won't have a Naomi system to play with any time soon!

Ah cmon, I expected more from the raspeberry pi ally!!! :o

Myrddin wrote: »

I'm the Raspberry Pi Ally, not the Naomi Machine Crony ;-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,759 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Come on then, what's wrong with it?

Basically everything :P

Nah, I think the site mostly consists of fanatic hyperbole (very often about complete crap) and a lot of pointless speculation. But I think Harry Knowles is IMO the antithesis of what I look for in a film critic. I would never trust his opinion, as he seems like the sort to buy into studio and corporate hype hook, line and sinker (especially if they fly him to the premiere!).

I'm sure there's some good writers in there somewhere, but it's drowned out in all those CAPITAL LETTERS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

eddhorse wrote: »
    How did it go?

Poorly. But I did then go and grab Dark Souls on PC too for cheaps, and spent the rest of the night applying the resolution mod and trying to get it to work with my wired (Arkham City Batarang) xbox 360 controller... >_<

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

AICN certainly get things very wrong alright, and Latino review seem to trump it again and again.
    AICN gave a great Iron Man 3 review and the "twist" and the other, manifold, problems with the movie were swept away.
    And they generally liked the Robocop reboot, oh dear.
    Ah well.
    I'll get my scoops from the Film forum here then, yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Speaking of Raspberry Pi, I must post up my latest creation/mod on the Pi front :)
    It's another retro/pi job but different from the Game Boy one I did all that time ago.

If you haven't played Threes! yet - which is pretty much a 10/10 masterpiece, on a par with Tetris - it's finally out on Android as well as iOS. Highly, highly recommended, and about as pure and addicting as gaming gets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I saw before I'd even know about the game there was already a clone called fives.

Mobile gaming... At least it wasn't called flappy fives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Livin' the dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

The leaning Mario looks a bit Mel Gibsonesque with the mullet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

If you haven't played Threes! yet - which is pretty much a 10/10 masterpiece, on a par with Tetris - it's finally out on Android as well as iOS. Highly, highly recommended, and about as pure and addicting as gaming gets.

Who is it made by? Or do you have a Google play link? See lots of Threes! or Threes, not sure which is the genuine article.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Who is it made by? Or do you have a Google play link? See lots of Threes! or Threes, not sure which is the genuine article.

Here ya go! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=vo.threes.exclaim

Top man, installing it now. Will give it a go later if I can force myself to log off Diablo 3. :o

• Advertisement

Making The Last Of Us

Oh dear, a rare but significant black mark against a big Ninty property
    Yoshi's New Island 4/10

And for comparison,
    Yoshi's Island 9/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I dunno quite how they manage it, but within, say, 2 lines of an Edge review and my eyes outright refuse to stop glazing over. The 'so this is what wiped out the dinosaurs' line gnaws at me in particular, as I know there's some muggins chuffed with its coinage.

Job got cancelled at the weekend. It's Dark Souls binge time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just booked my PS3 copy there.

I was going to hold off but as soon as ye started talking about it I knew I couldnt

This will be the first time I'll have played Dark Souls with an internet connection so I'm actually excited

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Job got cancelled at the weekend. It's Dark Souls binge time!

Sh1t man, sorry to hear that.
    Bugger.
    Did you see it coming at all, or was it Good Morning Dr Retr0 now Get Orf Our Land!
    Ah, Sligo is the home of buggerers and thieves, and that's just the nice ones!

I'm still in Sligo teaching it's a side job I do sometimes coding that just got put back 2 weeks.

Just booked my PS3 copy there.

I was going to hold off but as soon as ye started talking about it I knew I couldnt

This will be the first time I'll have played Dark Souls with an internet connection so I'm actually excited

Or should that be terrified! :)

I'm going to wait it out and get the PC version, probably pre-order it off one of those CD key sites for 20 odd quid. Hopefully the game will look a bit tastier this time around on PC, no arsing about with patches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Yeah I'll pick it up on PC aswell, but I want to do a bit of a job on my PC first. I'm fairly sure my processor is telling me it wants to die

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Tis a sad day in the Steve SI household. My main PC graphics card has died :(
    It battled through some hard times and unrealistic overclocks, but today was the day it coughed for the last time and bid me farewell.

crying-man.jpg

I've got a Voodoo2 card here somewhere that you can borrow if you want! :-D

MrVestek wrote: »
    I've got a Voodoo2 card here somewhere that you can borrow if you want! :-D

Thanks for the ever so kind offer ;0)
    But I've two shiny replacements on the way from overclockers.co.uk that should ease the pain a bit.

This looks interesting, a new NES clone which apparently will be running on original hardware or close to it instead of emulation:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-analogue-nt-a-new-way-to-experience-the-nes

It could even output in component and HDMI.

Sounds like NES on a FPGA so its simulation rather than emulation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Steve SI kinda money too I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Yeah... Looking at the price of their other stuff makes me think this won't be cheap.

Steve SI kinda money too I'd say

Haha, I was already looking at this. I bought stuff from these guys before(MVS) and the quality is awesome. But the prices are mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Blackwell Epiphany is available for pre-order now.

http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/news/blackwell-epiphany-now-available-pre-order/

Love the Blackwell games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Currently beta testing 'zippy the porcupine' for the 2600, chuffed so I am.

A very very impressive game, lots of thought gone into it, hopefully it ends up getting a release. It's like h.e.r.o. times ten as far as decent platformers on the 2600 go

• Advertisement

Los Lobos wrote: »
    Currently beta testing 'zippy the porcupine' for the 2600, chuffed so I am.

A very very impressive game, lots of thought gone into it, hopefully it ends up getting a release. It's like h.e.r.o. times ten as far as decent platformers on the 2600 go

Looks incredible alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Ciderman is it you that has a Vectrex?

http://www.ausretrogamer.com/vectrex-vectrom-32-game-multi-cart

"The Vectrex was one of those ‘love to have’ gaming machines which only rich kids had back in the 1980s. The machine was ahead of its time. Fast forward 30 years and the machine remains a ‘love to have’ for many a retro gamer.
    If you are one of those lucky enough to have a Vectrex, you would be well aware that games are hard to come by, and usually quite expensive when you do stumble across them.
    If you don’t care for having each individual Vectrex game (or the overlays), there is another option – the Vectrom 32 game multi-cassette (cart). This ‘homebrew’ cart gives you the best bang for your buck. The more popular ‘Sean Kelly’ cart may have more games (72 in fact!), but they are almost impossible to source and very expensive.
    The Vectrom cart costs about $45, that is about $1.40 for each game – what a bargain! For that price, you get the cart hinged inside a VHS style case. To keep the authentic retro feel, the game selection is done manually via the mini dip-switch selector on the cart – no software menu selection system here folks! The stuffing around with the dip-switch selection takes some getting used to, but the feature adds to the charm. Don’t stress though, the back of the VHS case has the dip-switch combinations for each of the 32 games.

Before you scream “this isn’t legit!”, let me assure you, it is. The original makers of the Vectrex have given open permission to continue development and have put the entire system into the public domain. Unlike other old consoles, it is perfectly legal to emulate all original Vectrex games."

Games List :
    http://www.ausretrogamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Vectrom_Game_list_arg.jpg

Yeah, Richard Hutchinson is a gent and sells an amazing product, the entire back ccatalogue for the Vectrex is public domain so no copyright issues and there's a vibrant homebrew community out there so you have access to everything worth playing on the console.
    It's robust and there's great support from Richard as well.
    Though the site may say they are sold out a quick email will get an equally quick reply and in no time you'll have the only games cart your Veccy will need.
    Just Google his name and it'll pop up.

Yep, VecMulti is what you want all right.
    I went for the clear case on my one, which isn't to everyone's taste, but I like it :)

8fd5.jpg
    ubqa.jpg

Does someone around here have a broken Veccy?
    I might be interested in the carcass

Does someone around here have a broken Veccy?
    I might be interested in the carcass

I think I have a veccy screen in storage. But I think you want the shell?

No, controller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Aonuma suggested the next zelda game could be top down

I be very interested to see all the nintendo bashing again if the new wii u zelda will be top down view

The Christopher Walken comment gave me a serious ROFL, seriously wtf?

But its nice to see the progression of sprites to models nonetheless..

metal.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement