Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Having some issues with my SNES. Went to play it today and was just getting a black screen. After re-inserting the cart a few times pop n twinbee eventually booted up and was playing fine until after I beat the first boss and the game froze. Reset it and halfway through the first level the game went totally glitchy. So I tried super mario all stars and the lost levels played fine but upon booting mario bros the game again totally glitched out and weird music started playing and could

I'm guessing the cart slot in the console is possibly quite dirty but is there anything else that could be causing it? From googling it it does seem that it's just a dirty connector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Dirty connector I'd say. You can try cleaning it with the credit-card technique, or you can easily remove the connector itself (by opening the Snes) to clean it properly. The Snes I got from Monkeykube wouldn't boot any games, I removed the cart connector from the mainboard & cleaned the pins on both the connector and mainboard, & voila, working perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Having some issues with my SNES. Went to play it today and was just getting a black screen. After re-inserting the cart a few times pop n twinbee eventually booted up and was playing fine until after I beat the first boss and the game froze. Reset it and halfway through the first level the game went totally glitchy. So I tried super mario all stars and the lost levels played fine but upon booting mario bros the game again totally glitched out and weird music started playing and could

I'm guessing the cart slot in the console is possibly quite dirty but is there anything else that could be causing it? From googling it it does seem that it's just a dirty connector.

Hope it wasn't my game that did it :(

Ah no having problems with all my games so wasn't yours!

I tried the card technique but it seemed to be a very tight fit in the slot and I didn't want to force it in so didn't really clean it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Ah no having problems with all my games so wasn't yours!

I tried the card technique but it seemed to be a very tight fit in the slot and I didn't want to force it in so didn't really clean it.

Ah you can send it back just in case and whatever other Snes games you have too, I'll check them out. Don't bother putting a return address on the parcel.

• Advertisement

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Ah you can send it back just in case and whatever other Snes games you have too, I'll check them out. Don't bother putting a return address on the parcel.

How generous of you! I'll send all my games to you right away! :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Anyone know where I can get the components for the cap kit in a Turbo Express?
    I figure I could nip to Maplins but looking at the list of what's needed I'm in the dark.
    Dc/AC capacitors, different voltages and so on.
    Help folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Here you go. The guy who owns the site is an absolute gent too. Use him for any cap kit needs, they're super cheap and accurate. (he'll also built kits for anything he doesn't have listed if you can supply him the values)

http://console5.com/store/kits/game-console-cap-kits.html?console_type_revision=59

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Here you go. The guy who owns the site is an absolute gent too. Use him for any cap kit needs, they're super cheap and accurate. (he'll also built kits for anything he doesn't have listed if you can supply him the values)

http://console5.com/store/kits/game-console-cap-kits.html?console_type_revision=59

Excellent, as soon as it's confirmed as on the way I'll throw and order in.
    I am looking at the screen mod as well, theres two options, a 2.5" LCD that'll slot into the existing spot and a 3.5" LCD that'll require a bezel trim.
    Less info out there of a battery mod, though it's been done, so I'm going to see what's out there.

Master of the Universe

If I were you, I'd try and replicate exactly what's in there screen wise, so the 2.5".

Would love one of them myself by the way, good luck with the project. It's one console I've still yet to see in person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Anyone get a happy meal toy yet?

I got a power up mushroom yesterday... it even makes the sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I've seen the turbo express 3.5" screen mod in person. After seeing it I decided the 2.5 might be a better option to keep it looking stock. But that 3.5 sure looks nice when playing a game :)

Master of the Universe

Damn you Ciderman, you have me looking on ebay for one now!

This one has had a cap kit done (not sure if it's a full kit or just partial to replace the dodgy ones)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEC-Turbo-Grafx-Turbo-Express16-PC-Engine-Handheld-Console-Rare-Great-Condition-/201055076394?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item2ecfd1002a

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

DinoRex wrote: »

Aye, my kids got the same one yesterday. Thankfully there's an Off switch on it! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,759 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

'Finished' (not that you ever really finish these games!) Dark Souls II. Man, I had completely forgotten what it was like to be obsessed with a game so intensely. Equal parts sad and relieved it's over and can return to 'normal' playing habits :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

DinoRex wrote: »

can you get an adult sized happy meal with large fries, big mac, two hamburgers and 6 chicken nuggets?

I'm sure there's folks on other forums complaining about the Happy Meal toys as another example of Nintendo shamelessly exploiting their IPs once again.
    They have no soul those people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Neat idea. The guys over on J+ have set up a thread to swap these nintendo toys with each other to enable you to complete your collection.

http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=60750&title=mcdonalds-super-mario-collection-swap-shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

If I were you, I'd try and replicate exactly what's in there screen wise, so the 2.5".

Would love one of them myself by the way, good luck with the project. It's one console I've still yet to see in person.

Exactly. Don't mess with it. I got that cap kit from console5 and it is a ballache to install. In the end I sent my GT away for a rewire and full SMD cap replacement.

If the figures are to be believed, there are less than 5000 working TG Express / GT's in the world.

Keep her stock. Don't faff about with it for the sake or a screen.

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Exactly. Don't mess with it. I got that cap kit from console5 and it is a ballache to install. In the end I sent my GT away for a rewire and full SMD cap replacement.

If the figures are to be believed, there are less than 5000 working TG Express / GT's in the world.

Keep her stock. Don't faff about with it for the sake or a screen.

Ok, I'll keep the screen stock, I would like a better battery life though, though I would suppose most just run it on a PSU....

Which reminds me, what's the best power solution, this one isn't coming with a mains adaptor so what should I be shopping for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Ok, I'll keep the screen stock, I would like a better battery life though, though I would suppose most just run it on a PSU....

Which reminds me, what's the best power solution, this one isn't coming with a mains adaptor so what should I be shopping for?

Wise move sir. It's not worth the faff. :)

I don't have an AC adaptor yet, because I can't find one for it. :o

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Wise move sir. It's not worth the faff. :)

I don't have an AC adaptor yet, because I can't find one for it. :o

Nooooo!
    I don't want to burn through batteries!

That said I have a PSU for my TG-16....

Time to Google!

Anyone else get that email from Nintendo about termination of the Wi-fi Connection Service? Maybe it's old news but for anyone who didn't get it and might be affected:
    As of May 20th, 2014, it will no longer be possible to download additional free content for certain Nintendo DS/DSi software. This includes free puzzles for games in the Professor Layton series, additional items and furniture in Animal Crossing: Wild World, and other titles.

This is due to the upcoming termination of the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service on May 20th. After this date, it will no longer be possible to use online features of Nintendo DS/DSi and Wii software such as online play, matchmaking and leaderboards.

Even after this date, it will still be possible to use the Nintendo DSi Shop and the Wii Shop Channel, as well as DS Download Play and Multi-Card Play.

If you own titles that are affected by this termination, we recommend you to download all available free content before May 20th. Affected titles include:

Animal Crossing: Wild World
    Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
    Professor Layton and the Curious Village
    Professor Layton and Pandora’s Box
    Professor Layton and the Lost Future
    Professor Layton and the Spectre’s Call
    Pokémon Black Version
    Pokémon Black Version 2
    Pokémon White Version
    Pokémon White Version 2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not even started the layton games I bought so going to miss out all those free puzzles and the free maps in fire emblem :/

Master of the Universe

Did I just wake up in a parallel universe where Facebook bought Oculus Rift?

FFS

"Now you can Facebook stalk your ex in full virtual reality!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

The sooner facebook ****s off the better

We can finally get back to some nice IRC then! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

2 billion dollars they paid for it.. another method of shoving ads down your eyeballs :mad:

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

2 billion dollars they paid for it.. another method of shoving ads down your eyeballs :mad:

It's after leaving a really bad taste in my mouth. Kickstarter is about community funded/driven projects. That's why you don't get shares but the product instead.

What they basically did was use the kickstarter community to create revenue, generate a couple of prototypes and then sell out the idea to a major corporation, making themselves rich.

On the plus side, it doesn't look like people are taking it very well, at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Facebook own Occulus now? In other words ads, mandatory facebook account, candy crush rift edition, farmville vr, & all manner of things that the rift really wasn't intended for. Bye bye occulus

Master of the Universe

People are going through them over on reddit. Makes for some interesting reading.

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/21cy9n/the_future_of_vr/

I was looking forward to upgrading the PC and getting the consumer version next year. Zero interest in it now. Fecking Facebook, god almighty. :rolleyes:

Kinda going to ruin the immersion in virtual worlds isn't it?
    There you are, stalking your prey through a grey, dystopian vision of Balbriggan , your rifle pointing at the dim church roof in the distance as you are about to pick off a local mutant, easily identified in his soccer jersey, and as you are about to squeeze off a round into his vacant noggin.. Up pops "O1s1n is playing V-Farmville Xtreme! Nod yes if you want to buy him a new cow!" in retina searing colours that fills the whole screen and a jingle jangle of a notification tone.

yardworksimulator.jpg

• Advertisement

FbFAiG0.jpg

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Kinda going to ruin the immersion in virtual worlds isn't it?
    There you are, stalking your prey through a grey, dystopian vision of Balbriggan , your rifle pointing at the dim church roof in the distance as you are about to pick off a local mutant, easily identified in his soccer jersey, and as you are about to squeeze off a round into his vacant noggin.. Up pops "O1s1n is playing V-Farmville Xtreme! Nod yes if you want to buy him a new cow!" in retina searing colours that fills the whole screen and a jingle jangle of a notification tone.

You now owe me one Virtual Farmville Xtreme cow. I never forget :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,759 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Adventures of the 1994 Time Traveler in 2014!

Episode One.

The 1994 time traveler arrives in 2014, tired and timelagged. He decides to rest with some videogames.

THE 1994 TIME TRAVELER:
    Hmm, I wonder what new games are out on this... Wii You? Ah! Sonic!

The time traveler plays the Sonic Lost World Zelda DLC.

The time traveler's head explodes. The television and gamepad are covered in a horrible sort of crimson gunk, and for some reason a time paradox is created bringing a premature end to the multiverse.

END

The Adventures of the 1994 Time Traveler in 2014!

Episode One.

The 1994 time traveler arrives in 2014, tired and timelagged. He decides to rest with some videogames.

THE 1994 TIME TRAVELER:
    Hmm, I wonder what new games are out on this... Wii You? Ah! Sonic!

The time traveler plays the Sonic Lost World Zelda DLC.

The time traveler's head explodes. The television and gamepad are covered in a horrible sort of crimson gunk, and for some reason a time paradox is created bringing a premature end to the multiverse.

FIN

Fixed!

And, maybe the people in that failed universe are lucky, at least they won't have to play any new Sonic games!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Have to say asking prices are just gone silly on Adverts. It seems to be the done thing to ask a stupidly high asking price and see what offers roll in. Thought they were improving things with pm's only after acceptance of an offer but still not sure. On a side note this may be of interest to Retro:rolleyes:

http://www.adverts.ie/playstation/legend-of-dragoon-ps1/5121332

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd like to know when every PS1 RPG became rare. There's very few that genuinely are, mostly Enix stuff like Dragon Warrior VII and Valkyrie Profile. Legend of Dragoon certainly isn't. The game had a marketing push for christ sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd like to know when every PS1 RPG became rare. There's very few that genuinely are, mostly Enix stuff like Dragon Warrior VII and Valkyrie Profile. Legend of Dragoon certainly isn't. The game had a marketing push for christ sake.

It's a game I never played, doesn't seem to be liked much around these parts and I'm sure it's with good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I have a copy of Final Fantasy VII that I'd like to sell you.

Most popular RPG on the PS1... plenty of copies out there.

Somehow however it is mysteriously super mega ultra power rangers timeforce rare.

Or something. €500 is my final price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

I remember a guy I know saying he had fierce difficulty obtaining a copy of FFVII about 4 years ago. I wonder is it that most people like it so much they're inclined to hold onto it. No idea how easy /hard it is to get on eBay today though.

Maybe he found it hard to get it a normal prices at the time, I dunno!

Master of the Universe

It's not worth that much at all. From what I've seen it's fairly easy to pick up for about €20.

It's not worth that much at all. From what I've seen it's fairly easy to pick up for about €20.

Exactly. ;-)

Try telling some chumps on adverts that.

My Turbo Express will be in work today...
    Sadly is my day off duty :(
    May nip in and get it!

Duck in and out without anybody noticing.

Don't get sucked into work. That happened to me once. Never again.

Just keep saying 'no sorry this is an illusion... I'm not here...'

Just be careful the NSA don't catch you:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120660/trivia?item=tr0748630

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement