Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Really weird seeing it in Enemy of the State seeing as the console was released in 1990. (and didn't exactly have a very long lifecycle) I wonder how it appeared as a prop?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,760 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A Wonderswan pops up several times in 2009's Evangelion 2.0 too. I assume both films have serious gamers hiding somewhere in their production teams!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Guess you needed a portable kids game with a colour display. Gameboy was pretty much the only thing on the market at that stage and the colour wouldn't have come out by that point either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A Wonderswan pops up several times in 2009's Evangelion 2.0 too. I assume both films have serious gamers hiding somewhere in their production teams!

Asuka was always playing her Sega Saturn in the original series as well.

Master of the Universe

In 1998 you had quite a few colour handhelds. The Gameboy colour, Gamegear, Nomad, Lynx, Neo Geo Pocket Colour ... I've never seen the film, maybe they wanted something a bit more nondescript? All of the above would be a lot more identifiable to the audience.

Speaking of Turbografx my 'Turbotap' just arrived in the post.

How easy are the controllers themselves to come by? Prices on eBay seem pretty high.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,760 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Asuka was always playing her Sega Saturn in the original series as well.

At least that makes sense given the time of production (although knowing anime it probably would have had to be 'Seka Jupiter' in close-up!). The Wonderswan could well just be some obsessive timeline detail from trollin' old Anno.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

At least that makes sense given the time of production (although knowing anime it probably would have had to be 'Seka Jupiter' in close-up!). The Wonderswan could well just be some obsessive timeline detail from trollin' old Anno.

Nope it was definitely a Sega Saturn, pretty sure Sega was a sponsor for the series. Could be that Bandai is a sponsor of the new films or more likely bandai has a hand in the production/publishing of the films.

DinoRex wrote: »
    Speaking of Turbografx my 'Turbotap' just arrived in the post.

How easy are the controllers themselves to come by? Prices on eBay seem pretty high.

I could get my friend andrew to look out for some. They are cheap in retro shops in New York and he gets discounts from one since he has a mate there. He owes me big time as well, I sent him over a PAL PS2, Alien Soldier, Ufouria (I should have kept that one, only 40 euros) and a few other PAL rarities.

• Advertisement

Master of the Universe

You can get controller adapters which will let you use a PC Engine controller with the Turbo Grafx. Not sure how it works out cost wise, but might be another option to look into.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Different controller pinout :(

You'd need to mod it or get an adapter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    In 1998 you had quite a few colour handhelds. The Gameboy colour, Gamegear, Nomad, Lynx, Neo Geo Pocket Colour ... I've never seen the film, maybe they wanted something a bit more nondescript? All of the above would be a lot more identifiable to the audience.

Let no one forget the poor dumb, badly dubbed kid in Rumble in the Bronx who got a gameless Gamegear from Jackie Chan and played with it enthusiastically for the remainder of the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

where would be the cheapest place to get the zelda 3dsxl at the moment. need a new zelda game in my life.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Handheld-Console-3DS-White/dp/B006YUX7NW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395923127&sr=8-1&keywords=3ds+ice+white

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Handheld-Console-3DS-XL/dp/B00E4LGLJ0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1395923010&sr=8-3&keywords=zelda+3ds

Thats the cheapest I could find. Been thinkin about this myself recently.

The ice white one you linked is a great deal but not the xl model and has no game.

I'm tempted by both tbh. Only a matter of time before I buy it.

The Goat Simulator trailer is absolute genius:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

At least they used the actual games engine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

..if you see a ruddy-faced middle aged man carrying a, 'Happy meal', through Dublin's streets.

IMG_20140326_185041.jpg

Master of the Universe

I haven't seen any of these yet in person, are they decent enough quality?

I do think it's quite hilarious that Nintendo protect Mario's gaming image by not allowing crappy mobile apps etc, yet they've no problem with things like this :pac:

• Advertisement

Lads I'd really like the donkey kong one if any one can get me one?!
    For the top of my DK cab! (if I ever get it done)

o1s1n wrote: »
    I haven't seen any of these yet in person, are they decent enough quality?

Very sturdy, to avoid any 'small parts down the gullet of a child' liability..

Photo taken in Mcdonald's, 62 Upper O'Connell Street, Dublin 1, the branch nearest O'Connell bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I really want the warp pipe embosser one.

The DK one is apparently a 'projector' too, probably just projects the DK logo, via an LED and masked lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I'm collecting 2 sets at the moment, one for home and one for my desk in work. Currently just have Mario, Luigi and the Mushroom (which makes the sound effect when you press it). Decent quality for what they are, and can be bought without the happy meal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Got mushroom, Might get myself a happy meal at lunch today Mmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Theres a toy button on the tills in McDonalds to let you add one to any order so no need to order the Happy Meal. Definitely grabbing the mushroom and DK.

Thargor wrote: »
    Theres a toy button on the tills in McDonalds to let you add one to any order so no need to order the Happy Meal.

Cheers. I wanted a mushroom too, twee lil' fellah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Just seem to be Marios being dished out.

Looks like Donatello is rocking an original Xbox in the new Turtles movie:

EHgkwKl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

EHgkwKl.jpg

that trailer for the new tmnt trailer was bad but not as bad as I thought it was going to be

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I got Mario, Luigi and Toad yesterday morning.
    I'll be on the hunt for the other 5 figurines, for my son..... Yeah, sure....

http://i.imgur.com/EHgkwKl.jpg

Xbox or proton pack...? There isn't much difference, they're both massive and cumbersome...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I got the luigi one the other day (and a happy meal) they're alright, Nice little figures and standard happy meal toy quality.

Looks like they're making a film about classic game characters invading the word.

Regrettably, it is starting Adam Sandler and Kevin James.

http://www.avclub.com/article/peter-dinklage-cast-adam-sandlers-video-games-vs-w-202812

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Looks like they're making a film about classic game characters invading the word.

http://www.avclub.com/article/peter-dinklage-cast-adam-sandlers-video-games-vs-w-202812

I could get past Adam Sandler(maybe), but i swore I'd never watch Kevin James in anything, ever! He is truly awful and how he gets work I do not know.

Let hope they are in a cameo, as the Hammer Bros and get beaten nice and quick.

What the hell is gong on over at sony at the moment.its been everyday that a key developer is leaving sony big studios from naughty dog to santa monica studios. You think with the playstation 4 selling well at the moment for sony they wont trim their gaming divisions but it seems kaz hirai is after everybody heads, even jack tretton who has been there since day 1 for playstation took the bullet and will be gone. No one is safe at sony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

they're all going off to work with Suzuki on the Dreamcast 2, with Shenmue 3 as a release title.

they're all going off to work with Suzuki on the Dreamcast 2, with Shenmue 3 as a release title.

• Advertisement

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Cant wait :)

dreamcast2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

You may say I'm a dreamer,
    but I'm not the only one.
    I hope someday you'll join us,
    and the world will live as one.

Steve SI wrote: »
    Cant wait :)

dreamcast2.jpg

I'd get that for Headhunter 2 alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Some great mario kart 64 glitches that I didn't know about.
    http://youtu.be/gGI8YXKW3G0

The Wario Stadium one was the only one of those that I did before.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'd get that for Headhunter 2 alone!

You know there is an actual sequel in existence, right? :)

(I could be missing some jokey reference here - my knowledge of headhunter is limited to the fact that I know I haven't played it!)

I only know of the PS2 game that came after the DC one but that was a port, wasn't it?
    If only there was some sort of large interconnected network of computers, where knowledge could be shared....

Turns out there is such a network and a quick webcrawl tells me the PS2 game isn't a port after all.
    I have it somewhere ....

Master of the Universe

Bloody hell, still no internet in my new place. And to make matters worse, my phone signal is pretty much non existent too, so it's an internet free zone.

On the plus side, the days seem about twice as long! :eek:

You should apply for dial up, maybe trade up to an ISDN line in a couple of years!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement