Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Mine is gone now, so no use to me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

No room for it :(

Mine is still in the press taking up valuable "shoe space" apparently so could also be destined for a skip.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Mine is gone now, so no use to me :(

Gone to that great big arcade in the sky??

Master of the Universe

Left behind in my previous residence.

So am going to assume the person who moves in after me will be a CRT hobbiest who will restore it to it's former glory /head in sand

Master of the Universe

Did anyone see a show on last night (I can't remember what channel) about collectors in the UK?

They had a guy on it with a Star Wars collection containing 35,000 pieces :eek: it completely filled his house (he had a wife and children too!) floor to ceiling boxes.

They took it all out and put it in a warehouse just to show him the scale. Whole floor of the warehouse was full, the size of it was insane.

Funny thing was they were all 'do you feel embarrassed/ashamed at all?' - but he just didn't get how mental the collection had gotten, had a big smile of pride across his face.

Then they had a crazy oul one with 300 dolls and 76 prams. Her poor grandkids hadn't a clue what to do with it all once she passed on.

There was also a guy who had 22,000 die cast toy vans. Think those little matchbox toys.

His whole attic was covered in them. All still sealed on card. 22,000 of the same type of van, just in different colours/with different artwork.

Anyway, it made me feel like less of a freak :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I saw a documentary about Star Wars fans on Netflix. Those collectors are crazy, there is so much utter tat with the Star Wars brand name on it and they have to have it all.

Yea I seen that show,
    Last week there was a fella with £250,000 worth of taxidermy,
    it was pure class.

I didnt understand how the lego storm trooper was worth so much,
    surely anyone could make it.......i mean it is made out of lego!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Steves collection laid out will be like that, except in his case it'll have to be two warehouses full! Full of identical precious things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

DinoRex wrote: »
    there is so much utter tat with the Star Wars brand name on it and they have to have it all.

A bit like the user's on here that own a CD-i eh? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Funny thing was they were all 'do you feel embarrassed/ashamed at all?' - but he just didn't get how mental the collection had gotten, had a big smile of pride across his face.

That really annoys me about people. I collect somethings but try to keep it to scale, some toys... props... video games etc.

I know it annoys the crap out of Shannon but it makes me happy and she sees that... to a point anyway. I don't want to fill the house with junk either, I keep it nice and neat and on display to the best of my ability.

If it's not harming anybody then who are they to judge? I think living a normal 9-5 going to the pub all the time kinda lifestyle is boring.

Do I go around telling people they need to sort their life out and rediscover their inner child?

No because it's none of my business how anybody else lives their life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think people tend to legitimately worry when you start collecting your faeces in shoeboxes and your urine in milk bottles.
    That's usually when my colleagues step in and say enough is enough.
    A mint diorama of Han and Greedo really isn't much to be concerned about, even if you own 26,000 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    A mint diorama of Han and Greedo really isn't much to be concerned about, even if you own 26,000 of them.

If it pretty much fills your house floor to ceiling, which is also supposed to be home to your wife and kids, then I think it'd be fair for them feel a bit put-out by it. Didn't see the show, just saw mention above of the 'filling the house' part

Master of the Universe

ghostchant wrote: »
    If it pretty much fills your house floor to ceiling, which is also supposed to be home to your wife and kids, then I think it'd be fair for them feel a bit put-out by it. Didn't see the show, just saw mention above of the 'filling the house' part

That definitely was extreme and he did come across as really selfish as a result. The poor kids even had stack and stacks of boxes of starwars stuff in their bedrooms :eek:

I can see a few kids in these parts having to share living quarters with twin sit down cabs and Pinball machines!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I can see a few kids in these parts having to share living quarters with twin sit down cabs and Pinball machines!

Lucky kids. :(

waveform wrote: »
    A bit like the user's on here that own a CD-i eh? :D

I don't think collecting all the tat available for the CD-i would fill even a single drawer.

Buying all the good stuff for the CDi is surprisingly cheap and easy to do, given there isn't any and so can be gotten everywhere and will cost you nothing.
    Picture it,
    Call into your local butchers or retro game shop and ask for all the good games for the CDi and you'll walk out with the same haul, empty handed.
    Unless you're Retr0gamer...
    Poor deluded b@stard ;)

Master of the Universe

Is it wrong that I keep thinking of the 3DO when people say CD-i and vice versa? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I set out a few years ago to pick up all the decent CD-i games, despite not owning the machine. It can be done cheaply, & relatively quickly despite the apparent rarity of some of the titles. I keep them all on display too, here's a pick I took recently of the collection

shelf_unit_empty3_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,760 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just to preempt Retr0's inevitable comment:

No, that platforming Zelda CDi game is not misunderstood, even if you give it a chance. It is very well understood as the complete rubbish that it is :pac:

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Are there many CD-i on this forum?

I know Retr0 has one, is that it?

I'm a master at Burn:cycle

Master of the Universe

I was well impressed by that Super Mario's Wacky Worlds prototype. Mad that the one half decent looking game was the one that didn't get released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I got one and for all its many many faults, it has the best quality composite video output I've seen on any console.

Controllers are stupid though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Is it wrong that I keep thinking of the 3DO when people say CD-i and vice versa? :pac:

J-r-williams-batman-slap-robin.jpg
    Are there many CD-i on this forum?

I know Retr0 has one, is that it?

I've no love for them, but have a couple different models knocking around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

Hey, was thinking about starting an xbox cabinet mame project ... yet again ... I fell off the wagon (assuming that being ON the wagon is keeping up the retro love) a couple of years back after a fool of a friend of mine threw out a couple of poker cab carcasses that I was asking him to hold onto for me to create my Frankenstein's monster of a cabinet. KHAAAAAN!!!

Anyway, the real point of this post is that I bought parts from arcademachines.ie when I upgraded my Supreme cabinet back in 2011, so I went to look on their site again to check out prices for my upcoming summer project, but they seem to be gone as the link doesn't work anymore. Anyone know what happened to them?

The arcademachines.ie guy emigrated to the US or canada I think.
    Shop wasn't the best anyway to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I picked up hole saw drill bits in Aldi last night, think they were €11.99. They have the all important 1 1/8 saw for cutting out buttons.

Notice Retr0's absence from this thread, he may be crying somewhere...

• Advertisement

For some reason the seller I was dealing with on eBay has locked me out of the auctions for the Kirby stuff.
    I was lined up to buy 5 titles, 1 Snes, 4 GB and had shipping agreed but when I hit the pay it now button I was unable and got a message to say the seller had excluded me.
    Bum!
    Apparently the issue may be with the eBay system otherwise it is odd

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I just finished both seasons of the Higurashi anime. It was some of the best tv I've ever seen. It's also the only adaptation of a videogame that doesn't suck. It's got everything, great characters, a mystery to try and unravel and it jumps genres like crazy yet still manages to work and come to a satisfying conclusion in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

For some reason the seller I was dealing with on eBay has locked me out of the auctions for the Kirby stuff.
    I was lined up to buy 5 titles, 1 Snes, 4 GB and had shipping agreed but when I hit the pay it now button I was unable and got a message to say the seller had excluded me.
    Bum!
    Apparently the issue may be with the eBay system otherwise it is odd

Isn't there an option to stop buyers who have bought from you in the last then days from buying again?
    Probably that id say.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

right ..prototype podcast thingy up on my page

lets get geeky

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Isn't there an option to stop buyers who have bought from you in the last then days from buying again?
    Probably that id say.

But I haven't bought anything yet!
    I contacted him/her, asked them about combined postage on the items, we agreed on a price and the next day, when I went to pay for them, I get the message that I can't.
    My feedback is excellent.
    Don't know whats going on.
    I sent a couple of messages since and no replies.
    Bugger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

• Advertisement

Now, fix done on the Turbo Express, got sound, lovely lovely sound.
    Was lazy though and instead of asking the kerbster to replace all 17 capacitors he just installed an extra one on the wrong side and now is playing Bonks Adventure I'm all its sonic glory!

But I haven't bought anything yet!
    I contacted him/her, asked them about combined postage on the items, we agreed on a price and the next day, when I went to pay for them, I get the message that I can't.
    My feedback is excellent.
    Don't know whats going on.
    I sent a couple of messages since and no replies.
    Bugger!

Oh right. Your just being blocked for being a reseller/rebuyer then.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Oh right. Your just being blocked for being a reseller/rebuyer then.

Took me a moment to get that...
    Very sarcastic!

I love it!

Took me a moment to get that...
    Very sarcastic!

I love it!

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I submitted a best offer on an eBay item last night and woke up this morning to find out I got it, which I'm delighted about because it's a game that's been on my hitlist for a couple of years and is rapidly going up in value.

Got 3 messages from the seller today within 20 minutes of each other asking for my zip code which is a bit odd as my address is verified and all that. Sent him back a message saying we don't use zip codes in Ireland and sent him my address again.

Just find the thing a bit odd tbh. Any thoughts? He's a Spanish seller so maybe he's just not sure of international addresses.

• Advertisement

Something to do with how ebay manages & prints address labels? Btw, that 'import fees' addition to ebay is a right *** up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Myrddin wrote: »
    Something to do with how ebay manages & prints address labels? Btw, that 'import fees' addition to ebay is a right *** up.

Could be. Should be fine anyway....I hope!

It's absolute pain in the hoop alright. There's a couple of US games I want but any for a decent price always are part of the global shipping program and add on ridiculous import and postage fees. :(

Is Sin and Punishment 2 the same game as Sin and Punishment Successor of the Skies?

Anyone here know anything about Gigawing Generations?
    Is it worth getting?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Myrddin wrote: »
    Is Sin and Punishment 2 the same game as Sin and Punishment Successor of the Skies?

There's only one s&p game on the wii. The other is n64 only but on the virtual console.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's only one s&p game on the wii. The other is n64 only but on the virtual console.

Ah I see, cheers :) It's cheap enough normally on the Wii I assume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

anyone ever played Ace Attorney: Miles Edgeworth Investigations?

Very nice little intro for a new retro based documentary.

https://vimeo.com/90556803

vswaftvvgqqqeon5c9kf.png

http://europein8bits.com/

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement