Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can't really say since it's under NDA. It's an educational iPhone app. Sounds **** but it's really good project, learned an awful lot from it. Even had to code AI for it. It's a pity NeoKubrick isn't around for another argument about Halo's AI because I can now confirm he didn't know what he was talking about :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In other news I had a weird experience in Rage today. Popped in on the way home and was having a look. Saw they had Burning Rangers on the saturn and opened the box and there was a tenner inside. I let the guys behind the counter know, I thought it was funny. They gave me a tenner off a game and I got Soleil boxed with manual for 10 euro instead of 20.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just had a massive bust up at a meeting about the app we are making. The sound guy told me I knew nothing about videogames. I wasn't letting that one slide. Said I knew nothing compared to the art guy who has in 3 months not understood the concept of a sprite sheet and has yet to supply a useable one.

I'm sorry, but I literally couldn't stop thinking of this when I was reading that post :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I was listening to that buffy tape in the car today (Yes I do have a tape deck in the car #ghetto) and it's actually unashamedly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

im loving these new game grump videos.

I felt jontron was not happy making gamegrumps vids when the months went on.

Loving dan though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Remember that free time you thought you had ?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-02-pc-elder-scrolls-anthology-bundles-everything-for-50

Well say goodbye if Elder Scrolls might be your thing..

20 companies are battling out for atlus but its has been reported sega are leading the race

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/08/02/about-twenty-companies-including-sega-made-a-bid-on-atlus-around-200-billion-yen-offered/

This delights me as a sega fan but scares me aswell since i know how strict sega japan is on releasing their games to the west ( yakuza 5, valkyria chronicles 3 , phantasy star online 2 )

Giving the 400% boost in profit sega had this year things are booming for them and i knew what would happen when they changed their business stratgey but this still freaks me out. If things were to happen i hope they know how big the smt series and persona series means to the west.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As Elton John said, back when he dated women and chaired a football team "its a little bit funny"
    I opened the new issue of Edge to find a full page ad for Limbo on iOS.
    It's the image of The Boy standing before the mostly shrouded Spider.
    I remember the image the first time I saw it, how creepy it was, how frightening it seemed.
    Now, having finished the game, I look at the Spider and think... "You poor poor b@stard"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

http://vimeo.com/adam3d/zelda

Oh, god. I never played a Zelda game in my life, but even I think the characters look terrible. For one thing, why does Ganon look like a Final Fantasy villain? And Link looks like some comic relief dunce character (at least from my point of view). Apparently, this pitch was done by the same company that did the TMNT and Astro Boy CGI movies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh, god. I never played a Zelda game in my life, but even I think the characters look terrible. For one thing, why does Ganon look like a Final Fantasy villain? And Link looks like some comic relief dunce character (at least from my point of view). Apparently, this pitch was done by the same company that did the TMNT and Astro Boy CGI movies.

You have therefore never had the dubious honour of seeing what was inflicted on the characters by the CDi Zelda games, its painful stuff so be prepared, what is seen cannot be unseen.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You have therefore never had the dubious honour of seeing what was inflicted on the characters by the CDi Zelda games, its painful stuff so be prepared, what is seen cannot be unseen.
    I've seen enough YouTube Poops to get an image of the CDi Zelda games. And boy, it ain't pretty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Emo Link and the other cutsey stylised characters should be just totally redesigned. They look terrible. (But I also hated the TMNT look too.)

Character design aside, it looks good.

I've seen enough YouTube Poops to get an image of the CDi Zelda games. And boy, it ain't pretty.

They're not as bad as people make out, in fact they are pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Gowan outta that

I mean, the actual stuff they're sourced off themselves.

But continuing on with the YouTube Poop theme, here's some of my faves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No. They're absolute, borderline indisputable rubbish. They are not some unfairly maligned hidden gem or some fun offbeat spin-off. They are exercises in unplayability, crippled by farcically poor hardware that simply cannot handle what the games are asking of them, basically like asking a bus to compete in a formula one race. There's a cynicism to them, shamelessly cashing in on a beloved franchise. I don't even need to mention the infamous cutscenes, because yeah. I have given the games two or three chances at beers, but no, I fail to see even the remotest note of merit in them. They are complete and utter **** that deserve every single note of negative energy directed towards them. And I say that as someone who thinks even Superman 64 has one or two redeeming features in the fleeting moments when it isn't a fundamentally, maddeningly broken piece of crap. Yes, when it comes to Zelda CDI we're laughing at them, never ever with them.

On an unrelated note, Treasure are making a Skylanders clone for the 3DS:

No. They're absolute, borderline indisputable rubbish. They are not some unfairly maligned hidden gem or some fun offbeat spin-off. They are exercises in unplayability, crippled by farcically poor hardware that simply cannot handle what the games are asking of them, basically like asking a bus to compete in a formula one race. There's a cynicism to them, shamelessly cashing in on a beloved franchise. I don't even need to mention the infamous cutscenes, because yeah. I have given the games two or three chances at beers, but no, I fail to see even the remotest note of merit in them. They are complete and utter **** that deserve every single note of negative energy directed towards them. And I say that as someone who thinks even Superman 64 has one or two redeeming features in the fleeting moments when it isn't a fundamentally, maddeningly broken piece of crap. Yes, when it comes to Zelda CDI we're laughing at them, never ever with them.
    Oh, I thought he was talking about the poops themselves. Now I know that it's just Retro continuously justify his CDi purchase.

Also, CDi Zelda games better than Legend of Dragoon? Get out of town!

I would say they are better than Legend of Dragoon. The Zelda CDi games take a while to get into which you can't really judge on 20 minutes playing them at a beers. Once you get into it and start getting your heard around the more open ended design then they aren't so bad and become fun, well except for most of the jumping sections. To call them irredeemably bad is just plain wrong until you've actually given them a fair chance. They are by no means perfect but they are far from bad or deserving of being on worst game ever lists. Except the third CDi game. Now that is god awful ****e.

Legend of Dragoon on the other hand is irredeemably crap. Not only is it one of the the slowest paced and dullest RPGs of all time with a dreadful battle system it's also one of the most cynical cash-ins ever. They just robbed everything from FFVII and then gave it the worst battle system ever, a battle system that was designed by people thinking they were appealing to people but managing to get it totally wrong. There isn't one piece of sincerity within it's binary, just the tears of children and the brain washed masses stupid enough to part with 80-100 euros for disease on a disc.

I would say they are better than Legend of Dragoon. The Zelda CDi games take a while to get into which you can't really judge on 20 minutes playing them at a beers. Once you get into it and start getting your heard around the more open ended design then they aren't so bad and become fun, well except for most of the jumping sections. To call them irredeemably bad is just plain wrong until you've actually given them a fair chance. They are by no means perfect but they are far from bad or deserving of being on worst game ever lists. Except the third CDi game. Now that is god awful ****e.

Legend of Dragoon on the other hand is irredeemably crap. Not only is it one of the the slowest paced and dullest RPGs of all time with a dreadful battle system it's also one of the most cynical cash-ins ever. They just robbed everything from FFVII and then gave it the worst battle system ever, a battle system that was designed by people thinking they were appealing to people but managing to get it totally wrong. There isn't one piece of sincerity within it's binary, just the tears of children and the brain washed masses stupid enough to part with 80-100 euros for disease on a disc.
    Johnny? If you may?

Actually, I think I'll do this myself...in a more humiliating way. Forever ingrained in Boards history...

retrogamerslostcredibility_zps96f8ef2c.png

• Advertisement

Well all I can say is that I've actually played it for a significant amount of time on proper hardware since it doesn't work properly in an emulator. Go read the Hg101 and retrogamer magazine articles on the games which are by people that played them and seem to think they aren't so bad.

Well all I can say is that I've actually played it for a significant amount of time on proper hardware since it doesn't work properly in an emulator. Go read the Hg101 and retrogamer magazine articles on the games which are by people that played them and seem to think they aren't so bad.
    Oh, just you wait until the morning when we show you the true meaning of humiliation

i might be worried but you're addressing that at someone that owns Gal gun and a Sailor moon costume.

Its true, trying to humiliate Retr0 is like shooting Godzilla, all you're really going to do is p1ss him off.

I think it's because they are 'Zelda' games, as such, are held to a standard that they don't anywhere near meet. Had they have been called "Medieval Dungeon Adventure" or something, they'd get a lot less flak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I still think he's trolling us :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I was listening to that buffy tape in the car today (Yes I do have a tape deck in the car #ghetto) and it's actually unashamedly good.

Buffy had some great songs on it alright, I'm currently watching it and Angel with my wife as she never seen it all.

Pretty damn tough !!

I used to put games in the freezer if they pissed me off :(

• Advertisement

Of all the retro consoles to use to bash the reliability of modern ones, a front loading NES!

EnterNow wrote: »
    Of all the retro consoles to use to bash the reliability of modern ones, a front loading NES!

You can't wiggle the YLOD or RROD out a console :)

You can't wiggle the YLOD or RROD out a console :)

The front loading NES is a disaster in terms of design, the 72 pin connector might allow wiggling for a time, but it will eventually oxidize & lose spring tension rendering the console useless. I suspect it was used because of the cheapness & how common those carts are.

I have come to hate my Nes, as a poor poor piece of design and, in the end, a thing that comes between me and spending time with games I own, where in a given 30 minute session, 10 are spent wiggling, blowing and coaxing a cartridge to work.

I actually love the design of the original NES. Sure it might not be reliable but loading carts in like a video tape is very cool.

You can probably tell I don't own a NES from that point.

Coincidentally if anyone is selling their NES in a fit of cart wiggling rage hit me up.

Coincidentally if anyone is selling their NES in a fit of cart wiggling rage hit me up.

Get a US one. A PAL NES is for mugs.

Get a US one. A PAL NES is for mugs.

As a mug, I whole heatedly agree with this message.

If I didn't own a few games that don't like my Famicom, I'd get rid of it.

EnterNow wrote: »
    The front loading NES is a disaster in terms of design, the 72 pin connector might allow wiggling for a time, but it will eventually oxidize & lose spring tension rendering the console useless. I suspect it was used because of the cheapness & how common those carts are.

The whole press the cartridge down bull**** was to make it more like a VHS player. Utter madness.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

The fact that the console had those issues during it's peak lifetime speaks volumes. I remember my mate's NES was an absolute bitch to get working after a couple of years of owning it.

Apparently someone one tried the snip the chip leg mod on mine and instead ripped the leg off, adding to my woes with the console.
    I'll probably wind up buying a US top loader, just because it'll actually work.

The whole press the cartridge down bull**** was to make it more like a VHS player. Utter madness.

Oh I meant I suspect thats why the NES was used in the above video, the cheapness & common carts. Of all the retro consoles, from the Atari 2600 up to say the N64, the NES is the absolute worst in terms of reliability I think.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'll probably wind up buying a US top loader, just because it'll actually work.

Just buy a Famicom adapter

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

All this nes hate, when I had it originally blowing in it was part of the experience. For me owning a pal nes, buying the same games I had years ago is why I love it warts and all. Personally, I wouldn't buy a US console, it's not what I had years ago so doesn't interest me even if it is superior.

The way I see it is, if I'm gonna collect games for a system, I want to play them in the best possible way. That for me means 60Hz, full screen & RGB where possible. I used rf cables back in the day, that doesn't mean I'm going to use them today as I know better now. Likewise, I know better that for me personally, games are more enjoyable without big borders on screen & slowed down 10%.

I still love the NES, it's a true classic, but the slot loading mech is a nightmare.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

When you were a kid, you would have also paid 40+ pounds a game. Some things are best left in the pastt ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I wonder if a mod is possible to replace the mechanism with a traditional connector?
    [First Would Problem]We could keep the form factor but ditch the really offensive bit that causes such suffering [/First World Problem]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

tumblr_mqptcw6MFV1rcu818o1_1280.jpg

DinoRex wrote: »
    tumblr_mqptcw6MFV1rcu818o1_1280.jpg

Isn't that how Dexter started out?
    Albeit with a Dad and no Mom?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement