Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Seems a little steep for a Saturn tbh.
    And as for which one to own, own both!
    They run very different software but, arguably, the Saturn has a larger game library, though the Dreamcast has soon stellar titles available, straight from the Arcade, so the likes of Virtua Tennis 2, F355, Daytona, Crazy Taxi, Shenmue and Blue Stinger!
    So, really, 70 should get you both then region mod them as well.
    Don't be in a rush, the perfect deal is probably around the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

That's expensive for a Saturn as you'd be better off getting one cheaper along with a modchip and action replay cart. Like retr0 said the Saturn has a lot of great games that were never released over here so you'll be wanting to play those. I'd be looking to pay about €30 for a bog standard one.

The dreamcast is great all round and plays backup games without the need for a modchip or anything so it makes a lot of the great import games that are really expensive accessible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Thats seems a tad steep for the Saturn. A Saturn would have to be chipped while a Dreamcast plays cdrs out of the box in case you we're wondering. It's the pefect console to be playing in these times of austerity:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

Thanks guys, TBH half the price I quoted for the consoles was for postage anyway! Just seems to be none available here but a lot over in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

Hygro wrote: »
    Thanks guys, TBH half the price I quoted for the consoles was for postage anyway! Just seems to be none available here but a lot over in the UK.

Use parcel motel and you'll pay a fraction of the cost of shipping.

You can also use it to buy more items not available to Ireland.

Just browse eBay.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Yeah that's a tad steep for a Sega Saturn alright. If you're adept in any way with repairing electronics I'd suggest buying broken machines on the cheap from eBay or the likes and then trying to fix them.

Dead PSUs in Saturns for instance can be fixed easilly, as can most laser or disc related issues in disc based machines. I did this for both my Sega Saturn and Mega CD and ended up getting the Saturn for €10 including shipping from the UK and €25 or so for the Mega CD II.

Even if you're not great at repair at the circuit level (I'm not, although I will be buying some breadboards soon to practise) there are sound lads on here like Enternow... or Myrridiieirifjsdifjswhateverthefeckhescallednow that'd be willing to help you out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If it's a PAL saturn it's probably a flase economy as well. A PAL saturn will run at 50 Hz so you'll need to get it modded to 60Hz. Since most of the Saturns collection are fast paced arcade games playing them on a PAL 50 Hz machine absolutely ruins the experience.

Either get a saturn modded for 60Hz, get it modded yourself or else get a US or Japanese machine.

When I said the saturn was more expensive I didn't mean the machine, I meant the fact that you really need to get it modded and have an acton replay cart to get the most out of the machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Saturns can be had very cheap. Sure the fully modded PAL one I bought a while ago there (mod chip and all) came to about €30 on ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Yeah the Saturn I got was boxed with a few games for like €80 and it was a jp one. Gone now :( some ape got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Both are great, others have mentioned the downside of the saturn, I will mention a downside to the Dreamcast is its laser unit, I have had 3 Dreamcasts in my life and all of them suffered laser failure. My Saturn still works fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Both are great, others have mentioned the downside of the saturn, I will mention a downside to the Dreamcast is its laser unit, I have had 3 Dreamcasts in my life and all of them suffered laser failure. My Saturn still works fine.

The lasers on the DC are ok for the Gdroms but if you are playing CDr's it will kill the laser a lot quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I was going to mention someone is selling a Dreamcast with a spare over in the marketplace but I see you already spotted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Wow... €6.99 for Ni No Kuni on the PS Store at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

DinoRex wrote: »
    Wow... €6.99 for Ni No Kuni on the PS Store at the moment.

Don't mind me, I'm just here waiting for the inevitable Retr0 backlash at the mere mention of the game, it's like the new LoD in these parts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I might not have liked it but 6.99 isn't a bad price and you might like it.

It's no Legend of Dragoon thank god.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,760 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

For what it's worth I think the game is flawed but significantly better than retr0 makes out it is.

At the very least, the art and the settings are a treat for Ghibli fans. Some magnificently colourful locations to visit throughout. Whatever about the mechanics and story, it's the kind of game that gives your console and HDTV set a proper work out - alas all too rare for JRPGs these days :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I didn't find it too bad, drove me nuts with it's hand holding over tutorialising though!

Must go back to it though, got as far as a bit where you get on a boat if I recall correctly...

Although I want to finish Enchanted Arms first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Seen this in cvpl

5347db003be37.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,760 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Still more portable than a Virtual Boy.

Still more portable than a Virtual Boy.

Nice back light too.
    And there's the occasional angry/flappy bird, in glassesless 3D no less!

• Advertisement

What's so good about parcel hotel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

What's so good about parcel hotel?

you effectively get a UK address, so you only pay UK postage + €3.50.
    it also means you can buy stuff from retailers who don't post outside the UK.

there's also the benefit of being able to collect it at a time that suits you, so you don't have to be at home waiting for postie/courier, and travel miles to the nearest depot if they miss you.

you can now even post stuff yourself via parcel motel for very decent prices.
    eg. I can send a box up to 10kg to the UK for €16.50, An Post would charge €30-€50 for anything over 2kg.

For what it's worth I think the game is flawed but significantly better than retr0 makes out it is.

At the very least, the art and the settings are a treat for Ghibli fans. Some magnificently colourful locations to visit throughout. Whatever about the mechanics and story, it's the kind of game that gives your console and HDTV set a proper work out - alas all too rare for JRPGs these days :(

I think the game gets a free pass because it looks and sounds good. Underneath it it's a very poor RPG. It might be 6.99 but I'd say you are better off spending a bit extra and getting the Tales games that are on sale as well or even better, the Atelier games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Zelda marathon on Twitch.
    http://www.twitch.tv/zeldadungeon

Have any of you ever considered turning one of the old desks you sat on in secondary school into an arcade machine? :)

100_0945-640x480-300x200.jpg

Have any of you ever considered turning one of the old desks you sat on in secondary school into an arcade machine? :)

100_0945-640x480-300x200.jpg

Ciderman may have, we didn't have desks that were that old! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

waveform wrote: »
    Ciderman may have, we didn't have desks that were that old! :P

That one looks sparkling new compared to the old hacked up graffiti'd ones i had the displeasure of sitting at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Could be a good idea.

Maybe we do a community one, everyone take turns with a compass and a tip ex on the desk to make their mark.

"Sega is ****"
    "Nintendo is bent"
    "3do 4 Eva"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I remember those desks in primary school, little empty holes where the ink wells used to be :D Early 30's btw, so Cidey's crown is in no danger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Myrddin wrote: »
    I remember those desks in primary school, little empty holes where the ink wells used to be :D Early 30's btw, so Cidey's crown is in no danger

I had ink in the ink wells believe it or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I think you will struggle to fit in one of them now to be honest, great idea though

eddhorse wrote: »
    I think you will struggle to fit in one of them now to be honest, great idea though

Actually, I sat in one of them until I did my leaving cert, and I don't think I've grown much taller than I was then. There were some plus six footers that were in my class too, so if you got one that was used in secondary school you should be able to fit in ... unless the years have not been kind to the belly area :)

http://www.adverts.ie/other-furniture/2-x-old-school-desk/4609636

They look like an adult could easily fit in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Question about Ebay and Parcel Motel (yes I know there is an Online Buying forum, but the REAL experts are over here).

How do people set up a PM address for ebay?
    Do you have a seperate ebay account for stuff sent to PM, or add extra address and toggle as required, or add an address to Paypal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Question about Ebay and Parcel Motel (yes I know there is an Online Buying forum, but the REAL experts are over here).

Do you have a seperate ebay account for stuff sent to PM, or add extra address and toggle as required, or add an address to Paypal?

I've the PM address add as a second (default) address on Ebay and just switch between addresses as needed.

Don't think I added to Paypal, seem to remember some hassle with having an Irish bank account linked to UK address.

I'd also like to know, I just registered with them a few seconds ago and they gave me 2 addresses to use, one up in Northern Ireland, the other here in Dublin. I assume that Northern Ireland counts as the UK when it comes to ebay postage prices?

• Advertisement

I'd also like to know, I just registered with them a few seconds ago and they gave me 2 addresses to use, one up in Northern Ireland, the other here in Dublin. I assume that Northern Ireland counts as the UK when it comes to ebay postage prices?
    Yep, use the Antrim / N.I. Address for UK stuff.

Surprised that so many of you had the oldskool desks (pardon the pun!), just looked it up and it seems my primary school was probably built in 1983, so i guess it was more modern.

This is probably a rare occasion when Bandit country doesnt seem so retro compared to Dublin! :p

In my first primary school it was quite modern, in Beaumont, but then I moved to the sticks and it was those desks with the typical anatomically incorrect drawing of penises and aeroplanes etched in with a compass and then passed over with a biro.
    Oh, and the Jacks were outside for some... Dear glob the countryside is no place for a person of culture!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Royal Mail don't charge more but some couriers will for NI/Scottish Highlands. Read the detail on the listing. If it says UK then it includes NI. If it says GB then it may not - it's worth checking.

These guys overvalue their games something fierce!!

DSC_00131_zps7ff94059.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

These guys overvalue their games something fierce!!

DSC_00131_zps7ff94059.jpg

I was able to guess the exact price of every game before pulling it out and looking. Theyre all based on higher end ebay bin prices.

There were quite a few games I'd have bought if they were a bit cheaper. Although a lot of the MD games were missing manuals.

Did you look at their 'rare' games along the back? 96 euro for ALTTP. Madness.

In the end I only bought one game (And a PS2 one at that) Contra Shattered Soldier.

On the plus side, their consoles were decently priced.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    I was able to guess the exact price of every game before pulling it out and looking. Theyre all based on higher end ebay bin prices.

There were quite a few games I'd have bought if they were a bit cheaper. Although a lot of the MD games were missing manuals.

Did you look at their 'rare' games along the back? 96 euro for ALTTP. Madness.

In the end I only bought one game (And a PS2 one at that) Contra Shattered Soldier.

On the plus side, their consoles were decently priced.

I bought a Saturn pad for 12 euro, thought it was a good price, but missed out on a 10 euro dreamcast pad by going back too late.

Yeah 65 euro for Zombies on the MD, I thought I saw something for 75 euro at the back, but 96???

It's like topsy turvy world to me, I'm used to expensive consoles and cheap games!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    **** yeah they are!

A saturn though you'd really want to get an action replay 4 in 1 and get it chipped. Most of the best games for it never made it outside of Japan and a lot of them are seriously expensive.

so the 4 in 1 basically makes it region free and the chips allows you to play ripped games?

They both seem pretty expensive!!

well on ebay anyway, this one seems cheap-ish http://www.play-asia.com/action-replay-4m-auto-plus-paOS-13-49-en-70-1b2.html

Yep. Get the playasia 4 in 1 if it's the cheapest or check consolegoods.co.uk, he usually has them in.

If you want a saturn chip then consolegoods and racketboy sell them.

Company of Champions, you son of a beetch!
    I just remembered I have to leave that covenant asap!
    And I was wondering why I was so lousy at it.
    Thanks lads last night who pointed out my folly!

Anyone know if they made any 8bit/16bit games based on the Commando movie? You know the one, the awesome cheesy Arnold movie :)

Looking on eBay and elsewhere and can't find a copy as the other Commando game keeps coming up.

Steve SI wrote: »
    Anyone know if they made any 8bit/16bit games based on the Commando movie? You know the one, the awesome cheesy Arnold movie :)

Looking on eBay and elsewhere and can't find a copy as the other Commando game keeps coming up.

waveform wrote: »

Looking more for this type of thing, but Commando movie game.

mJ1bxK-btbicqkzVfuzQ3OA.jpg

None that I know of.

I really want the Sailor Moon arcade game after looking at a video of it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement