Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Steve SI wrote: »
    You can just buy the box without subscription for the £9.99.

Yeah I thought so too. Are they these Roku-clone thingies? There was a big thread in Bargain Alerts about these

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Myrddin wrote: »
    Yeah I thought so too. Are they these Roku-clone thingies? There was a big thread in Bargain Alerts about these

They are just rebranded Roku LT's. But with some services disabled. And for a very low price. Worth picking up one or 10 of them anyway and get them hacked.

https://shop.nowtv.com

Follow this guide.
    http://digiex.net/guides-reviews/guides-tutorials/media-guides/13101-step-step-guide-installing-plex-nowtv-box.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

The one time people start talking about illustrator and I miss it :(

I'll just get my coat....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I could talk about illustrator all day. However I'd be more inclined to rant about how it's enabled terrrible artists produce terrible art for 2D games.

The one time people start talking about illustrator and I miss it :(

I'll just get my coat....
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I could talk about illustrator all day. However I'd be more inclined to rant about how it's enabled terrrible artists produce terrible art for 2D games.

NERDS!!!!!!!

:D:D

simpsons-nerd.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

You can just buy the box without subscription for the £9.99.
    Then you can pay a monthly fee to access context etc.

Or just hack that baby :)

Ahh... any time I've read about them I've seen talk of also needing a Sky subscription, if that's not the case then fair enough.

How easy is it to modify the firmware to enable local or DNLA network play?

Can it be made to support Netflix?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,760 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just saw a comment referring to 'Enter the Matrix' as 'Exit the Anus', which is crude but far funnier than it should be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've been playing Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge on the WiiU and it's a genuinely great game. The combat system is like Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma and loads of fun. Unfortunately there's still some hangovers from the games previous iteration so expect some silly chase sequences, QTE's and a morality tale about a ninja that performs stylish amputations on his enemies supposedly feeling a bit of remorse.

It's also incredibly difficult, it might be the toughest in the series yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

MrVestek wrote: »
    I don't think you can... which makes them slightly more expensive than a Raspberry Pi. :P

They do look like handy little devices though.

Thing is... their functionality is easilly replicated on a PS3, Xbox 360, hell even a Wii can do it (and in HD too with the right cable).

Can the raspberry play 1080p mkv files over a home network?

I don't know anything about the raspberry pi but am looking for a replacement for my dodgy ad tv live. A project might be nice too!
    Any advice?

• Advertisement

Can the raspberry play 1080p mkv files over a home network?

Yes it can! I've done so myself in my XBMC tests and it works fine. The interface can be a little bit slow to get going depending on which distrobution you go for but when it kicks off it's fine.

Why do you ask?

I use a WD Tv live at the moment but it's networking has become unreliable. Need a replacement.

I love the raspberry pi, I use it in loads of projects but I just think its too slow as a media player.
    I've never been happy with XBMC on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

They are just rebranded Roku LT's. But with some services disabled.

For £9.99 a box that's quite a bargain! Didn't know those were rebranded Roku boxes. Personally I use a Chromecast stick loaded with Plex, Netflix etc and stream from either my Note 3 or from the Ubuntu Server running Plex up in my office.

Works great and plays everything I've chucked at it. Though I've also got a Pi with Rasplex loaded on it , which is nice for a wired solution, but Plex runs like utter BUM on it compared to just flicking a few rude gestures over my phone via a Plex app and it just works... The Pi has now been recalled and will be used for tinkering and 'stuff' (maybe a Volumio box?) rather than a Plex client, even though I feel comfier with a wired solution over a wireless one.
    I love the raspberry pi, I use it in loads of projects but I just think its too slow as a media player.

This. :)

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    For £9.99 a box that's quite a bargain! Didn't know those were rebranded Roku boxes. Personally I use a Chromecast stick loaded with Plex, Netflix etc and stream from either my Note 3 or from the Ubuntu Server running Plex up in my office.

Works great and plays everything I've chucked at it. Though I've also got a Pi with Rasplex loaded on it , which is nice for a wired solution, but Plex runs like utter BUM on it compared to just flicking a few rude gestures over my phone via a Plex app and it just works... The Pi has now been recalled and will be used for tinkering and 'stuff' (maybe a Volumio box?) rather than a Plex client, even though I feel comfier with a wired solution over a wireless one.

This. :)

Fair enough, if they released a vesion of the RPi with updated graphics chip and slightly faster CPU then it'd be ideal.

I think once pay day rolls around I'll be purchasing one of those Sky devices.

Might even do a tutorial about jailbreaking it.

I got a new RGB cable for my recent "ZX Spectrum +2" purchase. I'm testing it out on my LCD as the RGB hub on my CRT is broken(new one on the way).

It looks great(considering its on the LCD), but there is a constant flicker ever 1 or 2 seconds. Is this down to the LCD/ancient Speccy combo or have I got a dodgy cable? No flickering on RF by the way.

I've uploaded a quick video to show what I mean.

More than likely a crap cable. I had one for the PS1 and it done the same thing. Chuck it out and get a new one.

More than likely a crap cable. I had one for the PS1 and it done the same thing. Chuck it out and get a new one.

Picked it up from retro_gaming_cables over on eBay. About 15 euro delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

Have you tried another console which uses RGB?

That way you'd be able to tell if it's an issue with the TV itself.

• Advertisement

Picked it up from retro_gaming_cables over on eBay. About 15 euro delivered.

I'd be surprised if it was from this crowd with the same name: http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/

Is it from them? I bought all my cables from them, all have been utterly solid. They are really good with returns or fixing up custom cables. I had an RGB SCART made up for my SEGA Mark III console (and about 8000 other cables in the past, always buy from them) and they put the wrong DIN plug on it by mistake. Sent it back to them, they shipped out a new one before I even sent the one I already had!

They covered all shipping costs etc, no problems at all. If the cable is buttocked, they should sort you out no worries.

waveform wrote: »
    Have you tried another console which uses RGB?

That way you'd be able to tell if it's an issue with the TV itself.

Yeah the RGB is fine on the tv. Tested with other consoles.
    I'd be surprised if it was from this crowd with the same name: http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/

Is it from them? I bought all my cables from them, all have been utterly solid. They are really good with returns or fixing up custom cables. I had an RGB SCART made up for my SEGA Mark III console (and about 8000 other cables in the past, always buy from them) and they put the wrong DIN plug on it by mistake. Sent it back to them, they shipped out a new one before I even sent the one I already had!

They covered all shipping costs etc, no problems at all. If the cable is buttocked, they should sort you out no worries.

Seems to be the same crowd.

I wonder if its an issue with the speccie in that case. Might be worth contacting them or posting on a speccie forum.

Speaking of RGB i am totally tripping out from beautifully vibrant colours of Crash Bandicoot 1 right now, through my PS2's RGB cable hooked upto my Trinitron:

303698.jpg

Its a nicely brighter than what my compact camera conveys, i think its an absolutely stunning game for an early-ish PS1 release.

I love the simplicity and flow of the game also, and coming back to levels to get the gems, keys, and unlock hidden areas adds a lot of replay value as well as an added challenge.

I don't think the game is all that, it gets very repetitive very quickly but it's a programming marvel. The retrogamer article about a year ago showed just how clever the code behind the game was. Pretty sure it runs in the ps1s high res mode to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Bit of help, please!

So that psp that I got in tesco has a swollen/bulging battery and I don't want it in the house incase it explodes. How can I get rid of it safely, ASAP?

• Advertisement

Bit of help, please!

So that psp that I got in tesco has a swollen/bulging battery and I don't want it in the house incase it explodes. How can I get rid of it safely, ASAP?

Throw it into your neighbours garden, crouch and stick your fingers in you ears.

Your health should also regenerate during this process.

I don't think the game is all that, it gets very repetitive very quickly but it's a programming marvel. The retrogamer article about a year ago showed just how clever the code behind the game was. Pretty sure it runs in the ps1s high res mode to boot.

I'm only 20% in and on the second island so it will be interesting to see if the repetition brcomes an issue.

It can be a frustrating game at times, especially if you are trying to pass a level without dying once to unlock items, but i guess its challenging at the same time.

Its certainly not a game to play when you're tired.

I have never played any other Crash games, so looking forward to trying out the rest.

Apparently the stiff controls were overhauled in the second game, and the music was better too.

This guy does a informative review of the PS1 Trilogy:

Second game is just more of the same, I like it less than the first. The third game though is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Bit of help, please!

Most phone stores should have a blue recycling box for batteries in the shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Second game is just more of the same, I like it less than the first. The third game though is excellent.

Still waiting for that Uncharted kart racer:

dNU74cMl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Tesco have to dispose of your battery as far as I am aware.

My company have to WEE all equipment we sell to our customers by law.

http://www.weeeireland.ie/files/Weee_Ireland_Safety_Leaflet_AW_OUT_lr.pdf

Got the crypt pinball playing 100%!
    Few small problems to sort now.
    Subwoofer is totaled. Looks like vandalism
    The speakers have an annoying hum in attract mode. This might be down to the fact it's Orginaly 110v. Needs investigation.
    And a few bulbs blown.
    Nothing major.
    Have a few cosmetic mods in minds.
    I'll do up a thread with some proper glammer shots when the cleaning is completed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I loved the crash bandicoot games on ps1 along with the first spyro game, being awhile sinced I played it I wonder does it still hold up ?

It gets old really fast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It gets old really fast.

Yeah, I remember it being touted as a PS Mario 64 beater, which it was, right up to the point you played it.
    Honestly though, it created the rule set that 3rd person adventures have followed ever since.
    Mario 64 simple has far broader horizons as you are dropped into a game world where the goals are based, rather than a set of locked areas requiring a number of enemies clobbered to continue.

I'm not sure where all the love for Crash Team Racing has been coming from in recent years either. It was a fairly mediocre kart racer on release. It's about on par with Mario Kart 64 but that was a mediocre Mario Kart. They both suffer from the same big flaw, they have some excellent tracks but most are forgettable or bad.

Spyro though is still pretty good fun even if it's very easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'm not sure where all the love for Crash Team Racing has been coming from in recent years either. It was a fairly mediocre kart racer on release. It's about on par with Mario Kart 64 but that was a mediocre Mario Kart. They both suffer from the same big flaw, they have some excellent tracks but most are forgettable or bad.

Nostalgia tinted glasses is where!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Pandora's Tower on the Wii any use?

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Pandora's Tower on the Wii any use?

Heard it's flawed but well worth a play.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,760 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's meant to have good ideas but some awkward execution if I recall correctly. Certainly the least popular of the Operation Rainfall trio, and the middling response always put me off getting it. Probably well worth picking up if it's cheap, though, and it has its fans as all Japanese curios do!

Heard it's a bit like Fragile Dreams, more interesting than good but then I end up enjoying those types of games more. I really must get around to finishing Pandora's Tower and Last Story. Their LE boxes are taking up too much room :)

40 a good price for a used but excelent limited edition?

The Last Story is such a weird game. Was never sure if I actually liked it or not. Its battle system is an odd mix of brilliant and ridiculous, and seems to break as often as it works. The story is absurdly paced, and it has the worst voice acting. Yet there's something improbably compelling about it nonetheless.

But yes those LE boxes are crazy awkward sizes. Especially since half of them seem taken up by the multi language booklet :pac:

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    40 a good price for a used but excelent limited edition?

Go for it I can see it holding it's value or becoming quite rare.

Go for it I can see it holding it's value or becoming quite rare.

Going to try and hold out for 35 posted. Starting to build up a nice little Wii collection:

Last Story (standard boo)
    Xenoblade Limited!
    Fire Emblem
    and... no wait that's it.

I really enjoyed Endless Ocean on the Wii. Great game to relax to. I remember having trouble tracking down the sequel. I must try a few of the PS1 scuba diving games and see if they are as good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Last Ocean got a sequel in Japan but never made it here.
    The PS games are OK if memory serves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just found out what I was talking about is closed now so no need for this post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

The last story was my fav out of the 3 operationfall games. Its just ao much fun

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement