Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

waveform wrote: »
    Can you a link to that exact post? I couldnt find it in the main thread.

That's ridiculous carry on tbh.

Here's one of them, they said it a few times - http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/90040650

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

First we have the phone tapping scandle and now adverts mods are reading our PM's!!!

We're one whistleblower away from a headline on the independent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Jaysus... Just seeing the adverts news, it's a bit of a shambles. Ever since daft took it over they've been slowly trying to monetize it, but this is like jumping off a cliff after slowly edging towards it.
    I've been a massively active user over the years and despite all the tire kickers and the time wasters, it's allowed me to build my current collection much easier and cheaper than through eBay.
    There is no alternative as good as it imo, having a separate account away from normal emails is a godsend. That and the feedback system, as broken as it was, it still gave some indication of trustworthiness. EBay just isn't convenient for meeting up and the haggling nature of buying and selling, leaving a final price up to chance and then the fees on top.

It's a bit of a shame.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

They are also saying now that the "success fee" you pay is based on the price you set when you list the ad. eg you list something for 100, sell it for 60. then the "success fee" is based on the initial 100 figure haha..

There is a lot of legal talk now about reading peoples pms AND charging their mobile phones without permission. This is a completely naive change on behalf of adverts staff i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I miss the old for sale forums on boards.ie.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

keithgeo wrote: »
    They are also saying now that the "success fee" you pay is based on the price you set when you list the ad. eg you list something for 100, sell it for 60. then the "success fee" is based on the initial 100 figure haha..

I noticed that, so basically it's a fee for placing ads over €30, not for making a sale over €30. Made for some fun reading over lunch. Poor Louise, I bet she wished she'd taken the day off.

Could you use the swap section for free?

Offered 1 Super Nintendo good condition, looking for 50 €1 coins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I can see the A&R marketplace getting very busy in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I put something up on adverts today and for the craic I stuck it at 29.99 euro.
    Automagically changed to 30 euro when I hit submit.

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »
    I put something up on adverts today and for the craic I stuck it at 29.99 euro.
    Automagically changed to 30 euro when I hit submit.

Ha ha ha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Strange, seems the new Ace Attorney game will have a historical Japanese setting. I'm looking forward to it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,760 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't use adverts enough to be particularly moved by this news, but 'success fee' is a worryingly dissonant combination of two words.

Success! Huzzah!
    Fee! Boo!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'd say be prepared for the Marketplace here to be yanked, if they're looking at maximising profits, especially on higher priced items, a lot of items on the Marketplace slip into that category and this could get our area unwanted attention.
    We shall watch but I wouldn't be surprised if a few PMs with orders comes down the line to the mods.

It's not really about maximising profits, it's probably more about getting close to even breaking even. As a business model adverts is not much use at all.

Adverts grew as a way for an online community to buy, sell and swap with it each other. It's going to be very hard to monetise it, but they're trying to awkwardly mold into something that it's not.

But I'm sure they're looking at the huge amounts of new users it gets (especially with Buy and Sell now gone) and those new users are where they'll make money. All the old users can go get fecked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

DinoRex wrote: »
    But I'm sure they're looking at the huge amounts of new users it gets (especially with Buy and Sell now gone) and those new users are where they'll make money. All the old users can go get fecked.

I'd say thats pretty much it alright. They're hoping Adverts userbase will adopt that this is how it works over time. Serious amount of negative reaction to it mind, even discounting the vitriol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    We shall watch but I wouldn't be surprised if a few PMs with orders comes down the line to the mods.

That's the kind of thing would make me want to hand back the mod badge. Hope it doesn't come to that.

I honestly think they're making a huge mistake with this change to Adverts. To butcher the phrase Dino used, the square peg doesn't fit into the round hole, so they're taking the mallet to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Has Easons stopped stocking Retrogamer magazine? It's not in the local one or the one in town really annoyed I'm missing this months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I picked up a copy in Easons Liffey Valley just last month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Has Easons stopped stocking Retrogamer magazine? It's not in the local one or the one in town really annoyed I'm missing this months.

I picked up issue 126 (Knight Lore cover) in Eason but they didn't have this month's. I assumed it to be sold out just in that particular shop and got the latest issue, 127, in Porter here in Cork. Porter seem to carry it in all of their locations here; I have no idea if Porter have branches outside of Cork though :confused:.

It's the one after Knightlore I can't find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Gamayun wrote: »
    I picked up issue 126 (Knight Lore cover) in Eason but they didn't have this month's. I assumed it to be sold out just in that particular shop and got the latest issue, 127, in Porter here in Cork. Porter seem to carry it in all of their locations here; I have no idea if Porter have branches outside of Cork though :confused:.

It was an arcade special, some great pictures and articles in it. Lots of old stuff, early arcades etc, it would be worth tracking down.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I noticed it wasnt in the main easons on oconnell st.
    Reads do usually have it on Nassau st anyway so I grabbed it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

They definitely had the arcade issue in easons dundrum, as I was looking at it. Didn't buy it though.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'd say be prepared for the Marketplace here to be yanked, if they're looking at maximising profits, especially on higher priced items, a lot of items on the Marketplace slip into that category and this could get our area unwanted attention.

That would be a shame, but everythings about money now as people have said. Picked up a few things from the Marketplace and everything always worked out well and met some decent people. It can be hard to get people to pay for a service that they have used for years for free such as Adverts, I just decline any offers of a paid advertisements from them. There has been improvements with pm after acceptance and alike, but it is still open to abuse in other areas.

I was lucky enough to get a gbc haul for 20 euro a while back only to have someone looking to buy the Pokemon games that I got. They went about this by asking on an ad that I had up at the time as they could not pm me directly.:)

Steve SI wrote: »
    I noticed it wasnt in the main easons on oconnell st.
    Reads do usually have it on Nassau st anyway so I grabbed it there.

Cool I might be around there tomorrow. Hope I haven't missed it, it's been out a while. Might just have to get it on the ipad app if I didn't.

The Spar at the Artane roundabout always oddly has a few copies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Spar at the Artane roundabout, truly a nexus of rare literature.
    "Pardon me, do you have a first edition of Paradise Lost, and a Kitkat? Here, while you're at the shelf throw us a bottle of Dr Pepper and a copy of Maxwells theory's on electromagnetism, thanks "

So it's the Gameboys 25th anniversary. I remember I got mine in 1993 while on Holiday in Florida. I got Super Mario Land 2 for it which was the first Mario game I owned and absolutely loved it. In fact the Gameboy was the first Nintendo consoleI knowed. I loved the system until I finally got a megadrive since my Commodore 64 was a bit old in the tooth back in 93. Unfortunately some arsehole stole it on me when I was at the Gaeltacht a few years later and I didn't get back into Gameboy games until I got my GBA on release and revisited some old Gameboy Colour games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

First Gameboy I owned was a red Gameboy pocket which I picked up while on holidays in Gran Canaria around 1996. Came with one of those '10000 in 1' game carts.

I felt so cheated when the cart only turned out to have about 5 games. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I remember my mam brought me back an atomic purple gameboy colour from holidays. Also came with one of those 100000 in 1 carts which I played a lot and actually had some decent games on it. Then I got pokemon blue and that's pretty much my whole childhood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I got my uncle's hand-me-down for Christmas in 93 and it have tetris and Marioland, and it was my first Nintendo console too but not my first experience of one. My other Uncle (who is the same age as me, so really makes it easier to say he's my cousin) had a NES and I think he had a SNES around this time as well. And a Megadrive and a master system and a few commadores and amigas. Spoilt poxy little so and so.

I got up at like 2am on Christmas morning to open my stuff and I was blown away when I discovered a gameboy! Probably my best Christmas pressie ever. Got Megaman not too long after that and I was in love with Nintendo then and stupidly bought Nintendo from here on out until the Gamecube. The N64 killed me, what a waste of my own money at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

So how about this new Dark So.....I mean Lords of the fallen trailer

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/m7bvw6/lords-of-the-fallen-gamers--day-trailer

Master of the Universe

I was wondering how long it would take for the copycat games to surface.

Remember when every 3rd person game turned into God of War for a few years there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I remember my mam brought me back an atomic purple gameboy colour from holidays. Also came with one of those 100000 in 1 carts which I played a lot and actually had some decent games on it. Then I got pokemon blue and that's pretty much my whole childhood.

I had the same colour one with Pokemon Red because my bff had it and I had to have it too. Played it loads, my mother still remembers all the trouble I had with the light when playing it in the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

So how about this new Dark So.....I mean Lords of the fallen trailer

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/m7bvw6/lords-of-the-fallen-gamers--day-trailer
    Wow, Bamco are going to go down this route then? A decade of poor man's Dark Souls games...

On the other hand, the graphics of this really just prove to me that From Soft are not great programmers, claiming they couldn't run the game with the old graphics, yet this game has dynamic lighting and can handle it with ease.

Now to be fair, it is next gen, but still. Dark Souls 2 has some painfully bad downgraded graphics in parts, textures you can clearly see the pattern of, washed out contrast, etc.

Master of the Universe

Kids don't know how easy they have it these days with their newfangled backlit screens. /shakes his fist

I remember when my friend first got a GBA. The effort just to see the game was unreal.

Speaking of which, I was playing the NGP over the weekend. Metal Slug 2. Cracking game, it's amazing really how much it captures the arcade feel of the full version games.

But jeez, dat screen! I felt a bit like this trying to play

raiders-of-the-lost-ark-staff-of-ra-egypt-tomb.jpg

Love the Game Boy, think I first seen an original one in my cousins house around 1991. Was an awesome thing to behold for a young Steve SI and I just had to have one. The following Xmas I waiting for it, only to end up with some dodgy LCD game :(

To celebrate the anniversary this week I've had a rather nice pic of my current original Game Boy as my desktop background in work. And all the server accounts as well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

o1s1n wrote: »
    Kids don't know how easy they have it these days with their newfangled backlit screens. /shakes his fist

I remember when my friend first got a GBA. The effort just to see the game was unreal.

Speaking of which, I was playing the NGP over the weekend. Metal Slug 2. Cracking game, it's amazing really how much it captures the arcade feel of the full version games.

But jeez, dat screen! I felt a bit like this trying to play

raiders-of-the-lost-ark-staff-of-ra-egypt-tomb.jpg

haha. Yeah i exclusively play my ngpc in summer months outside. The screen looks great outside in the sun unlike any new device. Vita or iPad or a phone just don't work in sunlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Happy birthday Gameboy.Got my first Gb for Christmas 89 or 90 can't exactly recall the exact date.
    Got Tetris and Marioland, didn't get another game for 8 months so I had those games mastered.
    Still hold the Gb very dear to my heart and always play them regularly, gonna break out some games and celebrate in style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Was at my parents' home over the Easter weekend and went digging for the pre-advance-era GBs I still had there, seeing as it's 25 years young. I know I have a blue DMG lying around somewhere, pretty sure my brother's using it for chiptune purposes. Rest of the GBs are in my own house.

ca8da36c-cb55-4277-a01f-0afa05d8fa3e.jpg

Must have been 91 when I got mine in Peats with Tetris and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan. I was a big fan of the Turtles game in the arcade and hoped that the Gameboy title would be similiar... it was not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Nice^ (except the tacky ManU version lol)

Links Awakening on the GB was what got me into gaming, never that bothered about the brothers and cousins various Ataris, Commodores, or the NES or SMS when they came out but when someone brought me a GB and Zelda: LW when I was in hospital I was completely hooked from that day on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Thargor wrote: »
    Nice^ (except the tacky ManU version lol)

Easily the hardest-to-find of the ones in the pics though :) (at least globally - was only released here and the UK as far as I know - still not 'rare' by any stretch of the imagination) Hoping a Utd fan with an awesome collection will one day beg me to trade it

My favourite is the DMG-edition pocket to the right of the regular DMG.

KGivFs9.jpg

I must go to my classic GB and fire up Tetris, Mario Land and Lemmings, three games I loved more than I should on the console.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

haha. Yeah i exclusively play my ngpc in summer months outside. The screen looks great outside in the sun unlike any new device. Vita or iPad or a phone just don't work in sunlight.

It's amazing how much the NGPC colours pop once they get some sunlight. Shame we happen to live in Ireland! :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,760 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The 3DS is the worst for sunlight. Unusable. Definitely something about the 3D screen that amplifies unplayability considerably.

ghostchant wrote: »
    Hoping a Utd fan with an awesome collection will one day beg me to trade it

I know a big fan with time on his hands:rolleyes: May have a few quid from the severance package left over to make a decent offer too.

is?55ebzhJwsMtuwRSSp9iNWL_gfJwZCZ54K2yjglFMeAo&height=287

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Has anyone ever heard of a game called Alundra? It was a Zelda-like RPG by Matrix Software, really enjoyable game but not many copies made so it didn't ever become mainstream. If I found the original box it would probably be quite valuable...

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Has anyone ever heard of a game called Alundra? It was a Zelda-like RPG by Matrix Software, really enjoyable game but not many copies made so it didn't ever become mainstream. If I found the original box it would probably be quite valuable...

I thought it was a common enough game, what makes you think it would be so valuable?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement