Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Monkeykube wrote: »
    I thought it was a common enough game, what makes you think it would be so valuable?

Seems to sell for high values on eBay along with Tombi and a few others

US publisher was also Working Designs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Alundra wouldnt come close to Tombi value wise. Ive seen it go for the region of 20 euro. (I think thats all mine cost)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's amazing how much the NGPC colours pop once they get some sunlight. Shame we happen to live in Ireland! :(

Yeah I tried playing the ngpc inside and it just gets frustrating having to have a light nearby so i decided once the summer months pass to take the batteries out and leave it for the following year. Makes me look forward to putting new batteries in and walkin outside with it for that first game. Neo Turf Masters, Match of the Millennium, Card Fighters Clash, Crush Roller, Metal Slug. Such a great system.

Alundra wouldnt come close to Tombi value wise. Ive seen it go for the region of 20 euro. (I think thats all mine cost)

Maybe I'm wrong about it, but the NTSC copies always seem to sell at really high prices if they have the box and manual... Perhaps that doesn't apply to the PAL (Psygnosis) version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Maybe I'm wrong about it, but the NTSC copies always seem to sell at really high prices if they have the box and manual... Perhaps that doesn't apply to the PAL (Psygnosis) version.

Just avoid US sellers using that Pitney Bowes shipping company, complete rip off imo. You could always try sourcing from Canada and you may get a better deal on shipping. I honestly can't see it making really high price at all unless it's still sealed after looking at completed listings. Granted it does seem to be worth more in NTSC form but it would be the one to go for.

Master of the Universe

Its possible! I only really know PAL rarity and values. Havent really a notion when it comes to NTSC US!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Fatal frame on the Wii U, please let it be true. That gamepad as a camera:D
    http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/57666/wii-u-exclusive-fatal-frame-game-announced/#null

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Has anyone ever heard of a game called Alundra? It was a Zelda-like RPG by Matrix Software, really enjoyable game but not many copies made so it didn't ever become mainstream. If I found the original box it would probably be quite valuable...

I've a sealed Alundra 2 (PAL) knocking about...always meant to move it on (as I'm not a big Jrpg fan) not sure if its worth much though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Maldita Castilla -
    an arcade adventure of chivalry and horror.

http://www.locomalito.com/maldita_castilla.php

Free download - Windows, Linux, Ouya

Features
    - Look and feel of an Arcade game from 1985-1987
    - 6 levels, 14 bosses and more than 40 enemies
    - 50 minutes of gameplay
    - 4 different endings based on merits and secrets
    - Backgrounds, characters and creatures based in medieval myths from Spain and the rest of Europe

Master of the Universe

Dr Bob wrote: »
    I've a sealed Alundra 2 (PAL) knocking about...always meant to move it on (as I'm not a big Jrpg fan) not sure if its worth much though..

Its an adventure game like top down Zeldas and not really a jrpg so you should suffer no ill effects ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Monkeykube wrote: »
    Fatal frame on the Wii U, please let it be true. That gamepad as a camera:D
    http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/57666/wii-u-exclusive-fatal-frame-game-announced/#null

Japan only afaik, boggles the mind really given how troubled the Wii U is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Anyone try the Vectrex port of Super Hexagon yet?
    It's actually quite good and I decided 6am this morning before work was the time to play it. Missed my bus :D

Works with an Atari Spinner controller as well, which is nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I think this news might be up Retr0's street:

"13 years after release, CD-i platformer was discovered to have a series of "Hot Coffee" codes for some cartoon nudity"

http://cdii.blogspot.ca/2007/10/apprentice-cd-i-hot-coffee-cheat.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,760 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Myrddin wrote: »
    Japan only afaik, boggles the mind really given how troubled the Wii U is...

To be fair Fatal Frame wouldn't exactly be a blockbuster release over here (a niche if anything), so can't imagine it affecting the Wii U's fortunes in any notable way. Someone might release it at some point, but it would likely be a risky enough release even if the console was doing better.

One of the sad possibilities about the Wii U's current state is that some games are less likely to be localised as there's simply no market for them. When a console has a large install base, you see more niche titles getting released as they have a better chance of success. When a console isn't doing well though... :(

It's the kind of thing that would suit a digital only release, though, if only Nintendo had have designed a console friendlier to that possibility.

Its an adventure game like top down Zeldas and not really a jrpg so you should suffer no ill effects ;)

Unfortunately Alundra 2 is a really bad 3D sequel... Stick with the original! First one is an excellent game, wish more people had the experience of playing it.

To be fair Fatal Frame wouldn't exactly be a blockbuster release over here (a niche if anything), so can't imagine it affecting the Wii U's fortunes in any notable way. Someone might release it at some point, but it would likely be a risky enough release even if the console was doing better.

One of the sad possibilities about the Wii U's current state is that some games are less likely to be localised as there's simply no market for them. When a console has a large install base, you see more niche titles getting released as they have a better chance of success. When a console isn't doing well though... :(

It's the kind of thing that would suit a digital only release, though, if only Nintendo had have designed a console friendlier to that possibility.

I dunno, I think at this stage for the Wii U, it's a case of every little helps :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'd love to see fatal frame/project zero on the wii u. Really looks like a cool way to use the game pad.

If they'd only make a pokemon snap game that also uses the game pad as the camera it'd sell like hot cakes.

• Advertisement

I'd love to see fatal frame/project zero on the wii u. Really looks like a cool way to use the game pad.

If they'd only make a pokemon snap game that also uses the game pad as the camera it'd sell like hot cakes.
    See I think the problem is Nintendo are aware that they've got a bit of a flop in their hands, I don't think anything bar Super Smash Bros is going to be able to save the Wii U. It was just a bad concept and awkwardly named system from the get go, not sure what they were thinking. It certainly never got my attention from the day it was announced, spent more time confused to whether it was an add on for the Wii or what!

Maybe they got complacent with the rampant success of the Wii, who knows. It was never going to be able to compete with the PS4 and Xbox One, let alone the previous generation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Not sure if anyone has covered this yet but an alpha playtest build of Sonic Boom has leaked onto the net:

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/img/photos/2014/02/06/fa/d9/c33c661f297644838059bdafe3ea8574-bbbaedcadd6143edb9c188cefdeb92ac-2.jpg

That's it currently running on a Wii U dev unit.

I'm excited... or something...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And the Sonic cycle begins anew.

MrVestek wrote: »

Save face now & just be disappointed. It'll save time in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

Steve SI wrote: »

Warhol has to be the most overrated artist of all time.

I much prefer James D. Sach's artwork on the Amiga:

http://blog.iso50.com/32601/the-art-of-james-d-sachs/

http://www.palmerfamily.name/sachs.html

waveform wrote: »
    Warhol has to be the most overrated artist of all time.

I much prefer James D. Sach's artwork on the Amiga:

http://blog.iso50.com/32601/the-art-of-james-d-sachs/

http://www.palmerfamily.name/sachs.html

Nah, best Amiga artist is Eric Schwartz :)

• Advertisement

I'm already disappointed... knowing me though I'll still buy it at launch and then convince myself that I actually do like it later on.

Nah, best Amiga artist is Eric Schwartz :)

But he invented furries!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Clicked into the last post in this thread, started scrolling up and saw the above - I knew straight away you must be talking about a new Sonic game of some sort. :pac:

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Clicked into the last post in this thread, started scrolling up and saw the above - I knew straight away you must be talking about a new Sonic game of some sort. :pac:

What can I say, the Sonic cycle just doesn't lie :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I'm still waiting for the first wii u sonic to go down price wise. I'm surprised its still as high as it is considering sales of it must be ghastly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm sure Richie will be here soon explaining to us all why it's better than Mario Galaxy or something.... Any minute now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Got my NowTV box in the PM this morning. Quietish in work, so hooked it up and have plex installed already. Ridiculously easy! :D
    MrVestek wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone has covered this yet but an alpha playtest build of Sonic Boom has leaked onto the net:

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/img/photos/2014/02/06/fa/d9/c33c661f297644838059bdafe3ea8574-bbbaedcadd6143edb9c188cefdeb92ac-2.jpg

That's it currently running on a Wii U dev unit.

It looks nice and all, but I don't see much space for running...

What's the point in Sonic if you can't just RUN!!!

Master of the Universe

Got my NowTV box in the PM this morning. Quietish in work, so hooked it up and have plex installed already. Ridiculously easy! :D

It looks nice and all, but I don't see much space for running...

What's the point in Sonic if you can't just RUN!!!

Retr0 regularly maintains that it's the running in Sonic which makes the games great. Without it they're nothing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think it's attempted running of Sonic games, post the MD era, that ruins Sonic games.
    Best way to love the series is to buy the new games but never play them, leave them in their boxes and then you never have to suffer the disappointment.
    The probability wave never collapses you see, like its Schroedingers Hedgehog, the game is simultaneously great and sh1te at the same time, it's only when you play it or hear from someone who has played it and the wave collapses and it turns out to be muck, otherwise you can just believe the back of the box instead and, according to that, the game is a faithful updating of a beloved classic!
    So, break the Sonic cycle, leave the game in the case and don't read the reviews, the discomfort of it sitting there on the shelf is miles better than the misery of actually playing the damn thing.
    Imagine how much happier you'd be if you never played Shadow the Hedgehog or Sonic 06!
    Imagine leaving them there and imagining instead what they might be like.
    The worst you could come up with would be better than playing them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Imagine how much happier you'd be if you never played Shadow the Hedgehog?

1779877_592708480806526_1484877803_n.jpg

garlic bread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Check out major nelson's twitter. They've just dug up a copy of ET from that landfill in Mexico. The legend is true!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Anyone familiar with trouble shooting a commodore 64?

Picked up one last week and I'm just getting a black screen when I turn it on.

When I try my other c64 with the same leads/psu etc it works perfect.
    So it must be the unit itself. http://i.imgur.com/tRn1XdK.jpg

Proco Jr. wrote: »
    Anyone familiar with trouble shooting a commodore 64?

Picked up one last week and I'm just getting a black screen when I turn it on.

When I try my other c64 with the same leads/psu etc it works perfect.
    So it must be the unit itself. http://i.imgur.com/tRn1XdK.jpg

Nah I'd have no trouble shooting C64 :P

• Advertisement

4r96M7E.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

Woken up just before 5 this morning because of a big ass fire in our apartment car park. Back in the apartment after 90 mins, everything fine except the fact that we can't use the toilet/shower due to the melted sewage pipes in the car park....plus the broadband is fecked cos all the wires are melted ... Why do I feel that I could live without drainage, but not broadband/tv??

waveform wrote: »
    4r96M7E.png

I have a feeling this is going to become a commonly used picture in these parts.

Does anyone use the http://www.collectorz.com application/service to track their game collection(both retro and non retro). It seems really good on paper but I’m wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it. I’d be looking to use the Windows app for most of the work and then the iOS one for scanning game barcodes etc.

Anyone?

Master of the Universe

Does anyone use the http://www.collectorz.com application/service to track their game collection(both retro and non retro). It seems really good on paper but I’m wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it. I’d be looking to use the Windows app for most of the work and then the iOS one for scanning game barcodes etc.

Anyone?

I'd love to give that a go, but the 90's styled 'Z' in the URL is really putting me off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Been thinking on buying one for years now but it always ends up on the long finger so could anyone tell me what's a fair price for a PAL SNES in working order with all cables and a gamepad? Also same for a Japanese one?

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Been thinking on buying one for years now but it always ends up on the long finger so could anyone tell me what's a fair price for a PAL SNES in working order with all cables and a gamepad? Also same for a Japanese one?

50 with a couple of games is a decent price.
    Don't other with a jap one, just get the PAL machine region modded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Is region modding difficult to get done? I do vaguely remember there being an adapter of some sort which you could use to play North American games but not sure if it's the same for NTSC-J ones?

Also are there any second hand games shops left selling them around Dublin or is Adverts/Ebay my best bet from now?

• Advertisement

Is region modding difficult to get done? I do vaguely remember there being an adapter of some sort which you could use to play North American games but not sure if it's the same for NTSC-J ones?

Also are there any second hand games shops left selling them around Dublin or is Adverts/Ebay my best bet from now?
    An automatic region switcher is your only man.
    There's a console modding forum in these parts for assistance.
    You can then either buy an adapter or dremel the cart slot so it accepts both the jap/eu shape and the US shape carts, I did the latter and it's grand.
    Check out Adverts and Sunday markets before eBay.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement