Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Is region modding difficult to get done? I do vaguely remember there being an adapter of some sort which you could use to play North American games but not sure if it's the same for NTSC-J ones?

Also are there any second hand games shops left selling them around Dublin or is Adverts/Ebay my best bet from now?
    An automatic region switcher is your only man.
    There's a console modding forum in these parts for assistance.
    You can then either buy an adapter or dremel the cart slot so it accepts both the jap/eu shape and the US shape carts, I did the latter and it's grand.
    Check out Adverts and Sunday markets before eBay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you're getting a PAL one you need to get it modded as the games run in 50HZ which is 17% slower then they are meant to run.

You can fit a 50/60hz switch on them that lets you play full screen and full speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    50 with a couple of games is a decent price.
    Don't other with a jap one, just get the PAL machine region modded.

I'd say the opposite, & buy a US one. 60Hz native & you're still free to buy & collect PAL & NTSC-J titles with the massive advantage of not having to use a converter or cut the cart slot (once modded). Yes the looks of the machine aren't to everyone's taste, but it's a damn site nicer looking than a butchered Snes :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Kerb fitted mine, all I do is hold down the reset button to change region, the frequency changes as required.
    Same with my MD and Nomad.

Ladeez luv da Nomadz!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'd love to give that a go, but the 90's styled 'Z' in the URL is really putting me off :D

Yeah I know what you mean. I almost didn't even check it out when I seen the address.
    But it does seem very good. You really need the pro version and the mobile app to make the most of it so a few quid will need to be spent. But if I can get a handle on my game collection it'll be worth it.

I think I'll dive in and give it a go :)

Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »
    but it's a damn site nicer looking than a butchered Snes :o

Debatable! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I'd say the opposite, & buy a US one. 60Hz native & you're still free to buy & collect PAL & NTSC-J titles with the massive advantage of not having to use a converter or cut the cart slot (once modded). Yes the looks of the machine aren't to everyone's taste, but it's a damn site nicer looking than a butchered Snes :o

Was just going to ask that actually, would it easier just to buy a US one and get a voltage converter?

But would I not still have to buy an adapter to play PAL or NTSC-J games on it?

Debatable! :D

Hmm, I'm not convinced. No matter how good you are with a dremel, it just won't look right

sfcmodsized3nk0.jpg

Master of the Universe

Oh I totally agree.

What makes it debatable is the fact that the NTSC snes looks like this :pac:

ntsc_snes_b.jpg

• Advertisement

That's a pretty unflattering pic though :D Personally I like the look of the US console, here's my own

2aa0dxk.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I think the US SNES is cool looking. Very American design though, like a big SUV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

But would I not still have to buy an adapter to play PAL or NTSC-J games on it?

No adapter needed. Just get a 50/60 Hz switch for games that detect frequency.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    No adapter needed. Just get a 50/60 Hz switch for games that detect frequency.

But I thought PAL/NTSC-J carts wouldn't fit properly in a US SNES even, nevermind the region locking?

But I thought PAL/NTSC-J carts wouldn't fit properly in a US SNES even, nevermind the region locking?

They fit perfectly, as they're smaller than US carts. It's the other way around that's the problem, fitting US carts into PAL/NTSC-J consoles, as the slot is physically too small. It's just before you embark on collecting for the Snes, you should consider NTSC-U is a cheap way to collect. Even Lukiegames on ebay have good prices, but their combined shipping offer of $1 per additional game makes for some great savings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The region locking on SNES games is basically it doesn't fit in the cartridge slot or the 50/60 Hz check.

If you get a PAL console or a japanese one you'll have to file away the cart slot for the carts to fit in. On a S machine there's two tiny tabs you have to remove to fit any region cart (this might not even be needed, I'm sure enternow will confirm).

As for region locking some later games checked if the machine was running in 50 or 60 Hz. It's why you need a frequency switch. Start the game in the right frequency, get past the frequency check and switch it back for 60 Hz goodness. Only a few later day games have this check and mostly they are PAL games.

The only other region locked game which is an exception is Mario RPG. It's either impossible or very difficult to get that game running on a PAL machine. It's one of the best games on the system so worth buying a NTSC machine for since with a PAL machine you'll have to miss out on it.

They fit perfectly, as they're smaller than US carts. It's the other way around that's the problem, fitting US carts into PAL/NTSC-J consoles, as the slot is physically too small. It's just before you embark on collecting for the Snes, you should consider NTSC-U is a cheap way to collect. Even Lukiegames on ebay have good prices, but their combined shipping offer of $1 per additional game makes for some great savings.

Thanks!

A US console and a voltage converter sounds like the way to go so :D

On a S machine there's two tiny tabs you have to remove to fit any region cart (this might not even be needed, I'm sure enternow will confirm).

Yep that's all you have to do to make them fit, tis pretty easy. You would need to mod the console to still get them to run though, but they fit without any hassle at all really.
    The only other region locked game which is an exception is Mario RPG. It's either impossible or very difficult to get that game running on a PAL machine. It's one of the best games on the system so worth buying a NTSC machine for since with a PAL machine you'll have to miss out on it.

I think the SuperCIC mod that Ciderman had done to his Snes can cope with Mario RPG...a simple region switch doesn't afaik.
    Thanks!

A US console and a voltage converter sounds like the way to go so :D

Again, make sure you're happy with the look of the console first, it's not to everyones taste. There's a mod you can do to a Megadrive PSU to power a US Snes, I've done it for my own one & it works a treat - http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/power-adapter-for-american-snes/

Once the console is modded then to run all regions, you're free to collect PAL, NTSC-j/U and enjoy the benefits of cheap US/Jp carts

Master of the Universe

That's a pretty unflattering pic though :D Personally I like the look of the US console, here's my own

/Shudder :D

Ah each to their own, it's just so far removed from the Snes I grew up with that it just doesn't sit right with me!

So I went on a bit of a binge on Wiiware to pick up all the games on it that I missed. Unfortunately I was a bit late for some of them which Nintendo has taken off the service, most annoyingly Game Art's Magic Obelisk.

There's some really good overlooked stuff on there, I already had the amazing M2 developed Konami Rebirth series.

I initially snubbed Square's Final Fantasy: My life as a King. A FF game that's about town building, pfft. I'm now horribly addicted.

Blastermaster Overdrive is a fantastic metroidvania type game and well worth checking out.

I think my best find however was Tomena Sanner. It's a wonderful slice of Japanese weirdness (check out Muscle March as well):

• Advertisement

Once the console is modded then to run all regions, you're free to collect PAL, NTSC-j/U and enjoy the benefits of cheap US/Jp carts

Ok sorry being so slow on the uptake but I'm losing track of all these suggestions and they're starting to go over my head.

In order to play games from all regions, without any modding, I could buy a US SNES and a voltage adapter -
    -then either buy an adapter for the cartridge or file away the plastic pins to play NTSC-J games
    -buy a similar adapter for PAL games (not even sure if there'd be many PAL exclusives I'd actually be missing out on so may not be need to play PAL games)

Is this enough or would I still need a frequency switch to go between 50/60Hz

No need for an adapter. Just remove the tabs. It's simple and costs nothing unlike adapters which can be a pain in the ass.

I'd recommend the 50/60 Hz switch. While the US and JP have a much better and larger library of games there are a few PAL exclusives that are worth picking up and some do have 50/60 Hz checks. Pop n' Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventure is one. Even still the PAL games play better in 60Hz, stuff like the Firemen.

So I went on a bit of a binge on Wiiware to pick up all the games on it that I missed. Unfortunately I was a bit late for some of them which Nintendo has taken off the service, most annoyingly Game Art's Magic Obelisk.

In this situation, does it grey the lines regards pirating the Wiiware stuff? I mean, if you can't actually buy some of it anymore...
    Ok sorry being so slow on the uptake but I'm losing track of all these suggestions and they're starting to go over my head.

In order to play games from all regions, without any modding, I could buy a US SNES and a voltage adapter -
    -then either buy an adapter for the cartridge or file away the plastic pins to play NTSC-J games
    -buy a similar adapter for PAL games (not even sure if there'd be many PAL exclusives I'd actually be missing out on so may not be need to play PAL games)

If you buy a US console:

It already runs at 60Hz, which can be a problem for PAL locked games, but should be fine for the majority.
    You don't need to cut the cart slots, they're already wide enough for any Snes cart. You would need to cut two tabs from the inside which are there to prevent PAL carts fitting in. PAL carts will only run if the console is modded or with the use of an import adapter.
    It will run NTSC-J carts natively once those tabs are removed, no modding required.
    You would need either a step down or a modded MD1 psu to power it.
    You could use one of those cart adapters to play PAL games if you need to, compatibility isn't 100% though.

If you buy a PAL console:

You could use a cart adapter for imports, compatibility isn't 100% though.
    You could cut the cart slots for imports, compatibility is higher, but you need to mod the console if using this method.
    No step down or modded psu required.
    Better looking console (if cart slots are left alone :P)
    Natively runs at 50Hz, so ideally, you'd want to be modding it.

Master of the Universe

If you rather the Pal Snes look then you could get a Japanese Super Famicom. It also runs at 60hz stock.

This is what I did actually. (had it modded at a later date as some PAL games wouldn't run on it due to region locking)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

If you rather the Pal Snes look then you could get a Japanese Super Famicom. It also runs at 60hz stock.

This is what I did actually. (had it modded at a later date as some PAL games wouldn't run on it due to region locking)

Do PAL games run without adaptors? I thought the start-up checks were different for PAL/NTSC SNES games (not just the 50/60Hz one). Hadn't even thought to try out any on my SFC.

Master of the Universe

ghostchant wrote: »
    Do PAL games run without adaptors? I thought the start-up checks were different for PAL/NTSC SNES games (not just the 50/60Hz one). Hadn't even thought to try out any on my SFC.

From my collection the SFC ran about 60% of my PAL games without any modification.

Myrddin installed a 50/60hz and a CIC lockout switch and now it has about 95% compatibility.

Now everything will run, but a few games have timing issues. (Starfox, Mario Kart and a little bit of oddness in Super Mario World)

Retrogaming,
    So many choices,
    So many paths to the one true Glob.
    All good baby!

No need for an adapter. Just remove the tabs. It's simple and costs nothing unlike adapters which can be a pain in the ass.

I'd recommend the 50/60 Hz switch. While the US and JP have a much better and larger library of games there are a few PAL exclusives that are worth picking up and some do have 50/60 Hz checks. Pop n' Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventure is one. Even still the PAL games play better in 60Hz, stuff like the Firemen.
    In this situation, does it grey the lines regards pirating the Wiiware stuff? I mean, if you can't actually buy some of it anymore...

If you buy a US console:

It already runs at 60Hz, which can be a problem for PAL locked games, but should be fine for the majority.
    You don't need to cut the cart slots, they're already wide enough for any Snes cart. You would need to cut two tabs from the inside which are there to prevent PAL carts fitting in. PAL carts will only run if the console is modded or with the use of an import adapter.
    It will run NTSC-J carts natively once those tabs are removed, no modding required.
    You would need either a step down or a modded MD1 psu to power it.
    You could use one of those cart adapters to play PAL games if you need to, compatibility isn't 100% though.

If you buy a PAL console:

You could use a cart adapter for imports, compatibility isn't 100% though.
    You could cut the cart slots for imports, compatibility is higher, but you need to mod the console if using this method.
    No step down or modded psu required.
    Better looking console (if cart slots are left alone :P)
    Natively runs at 50Hz, so ideally, you'd want to be modding it.

Ok thanks for all the help fellas.

Think I'll go with a US SNES (The look won't bother me that much) and grab a voltage converter or see if anyone sells something similar to the modded MD1 plug you mentioned (I'm no use soldering stuff so won't go the MD1 plug route myself). Then if I decide there's some PAL exclusives I really want I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Master of the Universe

Oh the subject of voltage, one great thing about the Super Famicom is you can run it on a standard PAL Megadrive 1 PSU and it works grand. Both have the same connection too, so no modding needed :)

• Advertisement

Now everything will run, but a few games have timing issues. (Starfox, Mario Kart and a little bit of oddness in Super Mario World)

Anything with add on chips will have to be run in the native frequency. That includes mario cart, starfox, pilotwings and other stuff like Megaman X2

Super Mario World is running weird because it was one of the few PAL games that was speed optimised for 50 Hz.

Oh the subject of voltage, one great thing about the Super Famicom is you can run it on a standard PAL Megadrive 1 PSU and it works grand. Both have the same connection too, so no modding needed :)

Yeah a Super Famicom would be a great option from that respect but it seems to be harder to get an adapter to play US games on one that the other about. Unless you file away the sides of the cartridge slot I guess

Master of the Universe

Anything with add on chips will have to be run in the native frequency. That includes mario cart, starfox, pilotwings and other stuff like Megaman X2

Super Mario World is running weird because it was one of the few PAL games that was speed optimised for 50 Hz.

Ahhh, that explains it!

The issues area really odd. Starfox almost works, bar an inch thick line running down the whole screen which does some funky stuff. It's really frustrating as you can play away fine (and see the difference in frame rate between PAL and NTSC!)

Mario Kart is completely messed up though. Super Mario World is okay, some of the back backgrounds can get some white dots flickering.

Pilotwings actually works grand :)

Yeah a Super Famicom would be a great option from that respect but it seems to be harder to get an adapter to play US games on one that the other about. Unless you file away the sides of the cartridge slot I guess

Fairly sure I used to use a PAL Super Nintendo one with mine?

I don't think they're region specific.

They have two slots - you stick a cart from the console's region in the back slot and it uses this to boot passed the security settings.

Then the cart in the front is the one you want to play from another region.

Fairly sure I used to use a PAL Super Nintendo one with mine?

I don't think they're region specific.

They have two slots - you stick a cart from the console's region in the back slot and it uses this to boot passed the security settings.

Then the cart in the front is the one you want to play from another region.

Oh right so you just used one of these with your Famicom?

Gah why is there so many options :pac: I kind of wished I had stayed blissfully ignorant and bought a PAL SNES from adverts instead of all these decisions.

Master of the Universe

Yeah thats the exact one I have. :)

I'll try it out for you when I get home. Will set the console to 60hz NTSC and see if I can get some PAL games going with that.

So been using the iOS app from http://www.collectorz.com/ today and then testing out the Windows app now and synchronising all the stuff i did today, scanning a few bar-codes in from various old and new systems.
    So far its actually a brilliant system and I think I'll pay for the pro version when my 30 days are up. Not everything scans from the barcode but I was expecting that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

its a bit pricey isnt it? i mean for what it is, was thinking of checking it out, but cant see myself spending that much money on an app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Yo quick question for all you composite cable lovers!

The young lad is almost four, and we're forever playing games on the cab and snes in the gamesroom. I thought I'd bring the snes down to the sitting room for handiness, but the tv there is a flat screen smart tv, the one upstairs is a big ass crt.
    So I hooked it up, using a composite cable I think, and it's playable but a bit fuzzy. You could live with it but is there anything I can do to make it a little clearer?

keithgeo wrote: »
    its a bit pricey isnt it? i mean for what it is, was thinking of checking it out, but cant see myself spending that much money on an app

Well, I eh, got the iOS app for free ;););) pirate.gif
    But am using the trial of the windows app. The windows app is the main thing so will probably buy that after the 30 days.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

ah haha.. ok.. it would be good for keeping track of collections but im far too scabby to pay the money for it haha

Los Lobos wrote: »
    Yo quick question for all you composite cable lovers!

The young lad is almost four, and we're forever playing games on the cab and snes in the gamesroom. I thought I'd bring the snes down to the sitting room for handiness, but the tv there is a flat screen smart tv, the one upstairs is a big ass crt.
    So I hooked it up, using a composite cable I think, and it's playable but a bit fuzzy. You could live with it but is there anything I can do to make it a little clearer?

RGB scart is the answer to all retro picture quality questions.

• Advertisement

keithgeo wrote: »
    ah haha.. ok.. it would be good for keeping track of collections but im far too scabby to pay the money for it haha

It's major overkill for most people I think. But if you have a large collection and want to keep track of it, its perfect(if you've 200-500 games then all you really need is Excel :)).
    It tracks hardware as well which is handy so I might use it for all my retro gear.
    I had a guess at how many games I have, not I'll know for sure(in about 5 months when I get around to inputting everything that is).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Pardon my terminology here, is that different to plugging the red yellow and white cables into one of those scart adapter thingys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Los Lobos wrote: »
    Pardon my terminology here, is that different to plugging the red yellow and white cables into one of those scart adapter thingys?

Yes.
    That's composite.
    RGB cables go straight from the console to a scart socket.
    Not all cables that do that are RGB, but all RGB cables are like that.
    There are also component cables and svideo cables, but assuming your TV is RGB capable, it's the one to go to, for all your favourite consoles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

So my little Commodore 1084S monitor poo'd itself. Replacement LOPT & HOT coming in at over €70, only paid about €30 for the monitor when I got it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

So my little Commodore 1084S monitor poo'd itself. Replacement LOPT & HOT coming in at over €70, only paid about €30 for the monitor when I got it :(

If they are super rare and buying a new one would cost more, get her fixed! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

so is this right? ..in order of fuzziness ->
    RF/Composite/S-Video/Component(i.e. RGB)/VGA/HDMI or DVI/plugging a futuristic fiber-optic cable into your cerebral cortex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Pretty much spot on there Dr. Robert. RGB is the supreme champion, even better (in my opinion, when space is lacking) through a Framemeister and out to HDMI and a chunky HiFi rig. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Posted this on reddit yesterday.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/2451ak/thanks_for_the_savings_gamestop

Some savings there Gamestop... cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

MrVestek wrote: »
    Posted this on reddit yesterday.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/2451ak/thanks_for_the_savings_gamestop

Some savings there Gamestop... cheers!

Wasn't there a big guffaw about Gamestop not even stocking 1c coins as well?

There was:

www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056333607

Seems like you'll actually be getting your change.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement