Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

43059461.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    43059461.jpg

d9030fa421fc1fec1d6ae08bab03a483dc46438dd202ddfbdc661cf04d793bf1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

UzyAH5Z.jpg
    Steve SI wrote: »
    4ro7.jpg

Just as well Stevie wonder can't see the colour of that C64.....

I joke! :p I quite like what you have done with it, you're a talented guy Mr. SI!

12359_502601893200766_6043484141270596805_n.jpg

waveform wrote: »
    Just as well Stevie wonder can't see the colour of that C64.....

I joke! :p I quite like what you have done with it, you're a talented guy Mr. SI!
    :)

Thanks for the compliment but to be honest it's just a paint job and anyone could do it really. Although I'm sure they'd pick a different colour :D

Thanks for the compliment but to be honest it's just a paint job and anyone could do it really. Although I'm sure they'd pick a different colour :D

I think it's the fact that you're a man of many talents is what I respect,
    Retrobrite, Video Production, Photoshop, Image Vectors, 3D Models, 3D printing, Drones, man the list goes on and on....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

d9030fa421fc1fec1d6ae08bab03a483dc46438dd202ddfbdc661cf04d793bf1.jpg

I+didn+t+vote+for+you+_fd45f8b83d8cd826af5ebfc90e6cf36a.jpg

Sorry.

I actually like the colour my liege.

Does anyone else find this backwards joystick a but odd?

http://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/vintage-joystick-turbo/5075549

The seller says its non removable too, so if it that's true someone didn't just put in it in e wrong way! Might look cool as a novelty item.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Looks like someone stuck a Quickshot handle on a Competition Pro. I really doubt its not removable though...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Looks like someone stuck a Quickshot handle on a Competition Pro. I really doubt its not removable though...

That's exactly what it is, I'd recognise the components anywhere.
    So, for your money, you'll get a base and lower buttons made of the stuff they made the FZ-1 3DO out of, and the top is made of the plastic with all the structural integrity of a bridge made of custard.
    Perhaps not a good buy.
    I suspect a lot of hot glue died to bring us this item...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I picked up a steering wheel for PS1 during the week. I'd never had on for any of my consoles before, and I'd telling pretty fat lies if I said I wasn't like a big kid trying it out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

deathrider wrote: »
    I picked up a steering wheel for PS1 during the week. I'd never had on for any of my consoles before, and I'd telling pretty fat lies if I said I wasn't like a big kid trying it out.

Get the GT Force wheel for the PS2 or one of its variants, they are brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Get the GT Force wheel for the PS2 or one of its variants, they are brilliant

The one I'm using at the moment is a MadCats job. MC2, I think it's called. It doesn't feel like the main man for the job, but I'm still having silly fun with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

tumblr_lr9w6bG0Xh1qizbpto1_1280.gif

Anyone else getting that ****ing annoying ad from Kimble Justice on youtube almost everytime you go to watch a retro gaming related video?

http://www.youtube.com/user/elmyrdehory

Its the most annoying ad ever, and I certainly won't be watching his videos.

No idea how to link to an ad, i dont the ad is in his uploads.

Dammit, it's Ico all over again.
    I'm hearing the music from Dark Souls 2 all over the place, humming it when I'm out and about, the walk around the cliffs in Portrane? There especially, keep expecting the Majula bonfire to be around the next corner.

Anyone else getting that ****ing annoying ad from Kimble Justice on youtube almost everytime you go to watch a retro gaming related video?

http://www.youtube.com/user/elmyrdehory

Its the most annoying ad ever, and I certainly won't be watching his videos.

No idea how to link to an ad, i dont the ad is in his uploads.

Adblock and Adblock Plus browser addons and I see basically no ads on any sites(including youtube).

Adblock and Adblock Plus browser addons and I see basically no ads on any sites(including youtube).

Yeah they're great, but I'm mainly on the iPad as my desktop is knackered, once the RAM usage goes up it blue screens. North bridge is shagged. I can only do light browsing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Hey guys asking this in here first before I create a thread in the main Games forum because with the amount of you collecting in here you may already have experience with these issues.

I'm designing a dedicated set of shelves to set consoles on and I'm wondering have I left enough room for ventilation, the shelves will either be 20.66 x 39 x 48 cm (HxWxD) or 15 x 39 x 48 cm. It will only be open at the front and I'm wondering once the console and today's larger power bricks are in there will there be a problem with heat build up?

Also if anyone has the dimensions of a SNES with cartridge inserted that would be great? Can't seem to reliably find them online.

• Advertisement

Np problems creating a thread here, we just would rather folk not generate "general" topic headings as a quasi sticky, that's more a mods job, aside from that create away.
    There are a fair few folk here who have come up with their own storage and shelving solutions for all manner of studies, attics and other assorted gamesrooms, so the A&R Brain Trust is at your disposal!

Excepting Retr0 and Mr Vestek, trust nothing they say, they are vacant empty vessels, and will drain you of joy.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Np problems creating a thread here, we just would rather folk not generate "general" topic headings as a quasi sticky, that's more a mods job, aside from that create away.
    There are a fair few folk here who have come up with their own storage and shelving solutions for all manner of studies, attics and other assorted gamesrooms, so the A&R Brain Trust is at your disposal!

Excepting Retr0 and Mr Vestek, trust nothing they say, they are vacant empty vessels, and will drain you of joy.....

Just thought I'd ask here first because I might get a better response in this general chat thread than I would in the main Games forum given the topic!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

:'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

What do you guys think of the Retron systems?

controllers.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Burn it with fire!!! :eek:

Seriously stay away from them. They're basically a console on a chip. You'll get far better results with the real deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Hygro wrote: »
    What do you guys think of the Retron systems?

Edit: Turd image removed, please imagine a healthy Turd in its place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

o1s1n wrote: »
    Burn it with fire!!! :eek:

Seriously stay away from them. They're basically a console on a chip. You'll get far better results with the real deal.

So it emulates the actual consoles, instead of emulating the games?

I have no doubt the Retron above is a p1ss poor way of playing retro games, to be honest if you have the carts and the controllers you kinda have the expensive part of the hobby covered, might as well invest in a few consoles at that point, with few costing more than €40 or so, at least in terms of Snes, MD, NES/Famicom.
    However,
    I am intrigued with the Retron 5, though it is very delayed.
    It looks like a glorified open source based emulation solution rather than system on a chip, so it's not for sure that it will suck.
    It will not be a patch on the real deal to be sure, but it may be a decent way to have a system wired to the main TV and save traipsing around with your consoles from the gamesroom/storage to the main telly.
    I may invest in one, depending on the reviews, and keeping in mind some of the hyperbole excreted by some US reviewers of the Neo Geo X ahead of the real opinions that emerged later where it was seen to be a pile of dung.

Master of the Universe

Yeah pretty much.

Problem with that though is it can lead to glitchyness and compatibility issues.

I wouldn't be surprised if the picture quality wasn't the best either, as well as the sound.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Unless it's running something like BSNES for all the games it emulates then you are going to run into compatibility issues and inaccurate emulation. My bets is they are using android emulators with free licensing which definitely would not be the best.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Unless it's running something like BSNES for all the games it emulates then you are going to run into compatibility issues and inaccurate emulation. My bets is they are using android emulators with free licensing which definitely would not be the best.

And apparently they wont support save games, just save states so if you play a cart on the console and then deicide to play it on the real thing it wont have the save game.

• Advertisement

The .emu line of Android emulators are very decent, I've tried c64.emu and its as good as Vice, pretty sure its a port of it.
    I've tried MD.emu and mega drive games and SMS games are spot on also. Haven't tried the SNES one. Doubt the Retron would be as good though.

The .emu line of Android emulators are very decent, I've tried c64.emu and its as good as Vice, pretty sure its a port of it.
    I've tried MD.emu and mega drive games and SMS games are spot on also. Haven't tried the SNES one. Doubt the Retron would be as good though.

Well the Retron seems to be just an Android phone inside a console case(I do hope there is more to it). So it should run the same emulators probably a bit better as if they have sense they'll be running the proc/graphics at a higher overclocked rate as they don't need to worry about battery life(as you do in a phone) and there should be plenty of space for heat dissipation as well.

I can't be sure but I'd be very surprised if they are coding emulators for the system or even modifying licensed ones. Any emulator I've used on Android hasn't been that great. They usually suffer from the same problems as most high level emulators (ie, not BSNES) on PC, namely really inaccurate sound emulation.

Jeremy Parish set up a youtube account and he is going to go through the nintendo gameboy library chronologically and giving a 5-10 discussion on each one. He's covered the 4 japanese launch titles so far:

http://www.youtube.com/user/toastyfrog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Homer-simpson-chocking-bart-1.jpg

Holy ****! Mame4all added peer 2 peer netplay to its android and ios app back in December, so you can now play multiplayer games using 2 devices!

The ios app can do it over Wifi and Bluetooth, not sure about the android version.

This is the only video i can find of netplay:

Hopefully the sound is stuttering only because of the rom, or else the person is using bluetooth.

Wifi should be better i'd imagine.

Has anyone ever went to Gaming festivals, expos, cons etc... abroad?

Just warched some videos of last years Insomnia51 in the UK and it looks friggin awesome.

Would some of the A&R crew be up for heading to one later this year?

Would make an awesome road trip! :p

I am such a tool! Upto a few hours ago I was using the much older mame4all on my iPad and Moto G thinking it was the only one, which uses an anceint romset that has a very limited amount of games.

I have just discovered that mame4ios and mame4droid use a much more modern romset meaning I can play 10 times more games now! :D

I feckin cannot wait for the icade to arrive now! **** yeah!

OMFG!

The netplay for mame4droid and mame4iOS is CROSS PLATFORM!!!!

I just took a chance and tried it between my iPad and Moto G and it worked!!!

Loaded up the Punisher on both, and once i hit start on player 2, boom! the game started!

I just used the wifi connection through the router, with low signal and there was only the odd bit of lag!!!

With a better signal, or even better, with a direct connection between both devices there should be zero lag!

We could probably play each other online if the ping was low enough!

Could some one pinch me please?

Please tell me this is not a dream! :D

Master of the Universe

Has anyone ever went to Gaming festivals, expos, cons etc... abroad?

Just warched some videos of last years Insomnia51 in the UK and it looks friggin awesome.

Would some of the A&R crew be up for heading to one later this year?

Would make an awesome road trip! :p

I'd really love to go to one of the big arcade meets over in the UK.

If we could get a group together you can count me in anyway.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'd really love to go to one of the big arcade meets over in the UK.

If we could get a group together you can count me in anyway.

Same here!

Will the rule of EnterNow be still in effect in the UK?

I'm 100% going to a pinball show next year and bringing a machine home :)
    probably the south coast slam!

The rule of Enter UK...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The rule of EnterNow UK Edition: Innit

I'll see you there!
    I'm on the boat!
    I'm at the hotel see you soon!
    I'm outside the convention centre, what stand are you at I'll be there in a minute!
    Wow, it's crowded I here, wave so I can see you....

Sorry lads, won't be able to meet, see you at the next one :(

I'll see you there!
    I'm on the boat!
    I'm at the hotel see you soon!
    I'm outside the convention centre, what stand are you at I'll be there in a minute!
    Wow, it's crowded I here, wave so I can see you....

Sorry lads, won't be able to meet, see you at the next one :(

:D

So Raiden 4 is on US PSN....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Well anyone who wants to go away with me know the following:

I have a bit of a tendency to "Get my kit off"

As long as everyone is comfortable with that I'll be down to go to convention. Hoping to plan a trip to a pinball one next year! Love to check out on of those

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So Raiden 4 is on US PSN....

FFS!
    I need this in my life now!
    I just don't want to get into buying PSN credit from the states.
    Any idea if it's coming over here??

Edit: Bought It!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement