Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well anyone who wants to go away with me know the following:

I have a bit of a tendency to "Get my kit off"

As long as everyone is comfortable with that I'll be down to go to convention. Hoping to plan a trip to a pinball one next year! Love to check out on of those

Seen it all already on facebook. I'm ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

So I got an email from adverts saying that they were unable to charge my mobile the 3 euro fee for a sale. All is ok with my Vodafone account and it's a bill pay so no lack of funds etc.
    Anyone else get an email like that or get charged the 3 euro fee yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Has anyone tried the nividia shield in terms of emulation? I'm thinking about getting one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

Haven't tried emulation with an nvidia shield, but the .emu emulators from Ex Plus Alpha are the best on Android I've tried:

http://www.explusalpha.com/home

I've used the Mega Drive and C64 one so far and they're brilliant.

I can't view this link at college but I can see from a search result that it says "Android: Added default key profiles for the Nvidia Shield"

www.explusalpha.com/home/general-info/updates

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Steve SI wrote: »
    So I got an email from adverts saying that they were unable to charge my mobile the 3 euro fee for a sale. All is ok with my Vodafone account and it's a bill pay so no lack of funds etc.

Ive sold a few things since they did the change, but all where listed before it. so im assuming i wont be charged for them. think i read that somewhere.

• Advertisement

Just saw on wiki that Nvidia donated at least 3 shields to the developers of the open source RetroArch emulation project which is awesome.

You'll have to scroll down on this page a bit to see it:

http://www.libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-android-0-9-9-4/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

afaik Adverts can only bill people via a PAYG phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

afaik Adverts can only bill people via a PAYG phone.

Great set-up from adverts there and I wouldn't have it any other way. Maybe bill pay users can charge PAYG ussers €1.50 to list items over thirty. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I'm bill pay!

Job done so. :P Yay adverts is free again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Surely only teenagers are going to be on PAYG.

• Advertisement

Also, if you withdraw an ad you get an email a couple of days later asking why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Seen an adverts.ie billboard across the road from my apartment this morning actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

megaten wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the nividia shield in terms of emulation? I'm thinking about getting one.

Pm ondafly if you like, he just got one very recently and has emulation up and running on it afaik.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Also, if you withdraw an ad you get an email a couple of days later asking why.

Reminds me of a girl I used to know...

Baddum.. Tish!

DinoRex wrote: »

Nah, 48 ftw! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've been on PAYG for the last 20 years with the same number. Don't plan on changing any time soon :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The thought of massive sessions of Bioshock, Chrono Cross, Super Metroid and SSFIIT:HDR are the only things that're getting me through my exam woes. I'm going to throw Mario Kart 8 on top of that too, and whatever freebie strikes most appealing, just cause I've not had a proper backlog in a while. Sure, it's only fair I get to join in on that craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Having a look at this at the moment, seems a tad fishy though:D
    http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/zelda-boxed-snes/5428452

when there's no photos of the innards (to steal a word from Mitch) for such highly priced games, it definitely set off alarm bells.

• Advertisement

Monkeykube wrote: »

That screams repro to me. That cart has been cleaned... you can tell because of the junk stuck in the cart lock slot (or whatever the hell you call it) in between the bits of plastic that he obviously couldn't get to to clean.

It looks to perfect... much too perfect.

Even a box kept in pristine condition for over 20 years will have some small nicks to the corners.

I'd be very weary considering the image of the box is from a Portugeese seller on ebay:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SNES-THE-LEGEND-OF-ZELDA-A-LINK-TO-THE-PAST-BOX-ONLY-PAL-VERSION-NEW-NO-GAME-/171322212995?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item27e3998283&_uhb=1

snake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

waveform wrote: »

It only gets better, claims to have them from his childhood:D
    I left him a couple of links to browse through on his ad.

tumblr_mjpqz5rd2v1rhm9ago1_500.gif

Master of the Universe

Haha! That's gas.

Dodgy listing with repro box or maybe just a lazy seller who doesnt want to take photos?

o1s1n wrote: »
    Haha! That's gas.

Dodgy listing with repro box or maybe just a lazy seller who doesnt want to take photos?

A little from column A...

DinoRex wrote: »

You'd be suprised how many 'grown ups' are on PAYG. For a lot it makes sense to be on bill but they stay putting in 20 a week on credit,
    Irish people are unique, we once bought the most quantities of the 3 month xbox online membership in Europe in a year.
    I've been on PAYG for the last 20 years with the same number. Don't plan on changing any time soon :D

And then there's the Metal Slug lovers, never going to get them onto bill. First question I ask when someone walks into my store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The PAYG 'hate' is a bit, well, weird tbh. I had a bill phone years ago, I'd be hard pressed to go back to one really. PAYG suits me down to the ground, given to me a phone is just a phone.

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    The PAYG 'hate' is a bit, well, weird tbh. I had a bill phone years ago, I'd be hard pressed to go back to one really. PAYG suits me down to the ground, given to me a phone is just a phone.

A lot of the PAYG phones makes more sense tbh.

I had a €20 a month deal with meteor. Unlimited metier calls and texts and a few gigs internet.

They kept trying to move me into a bill pay plan but their closest plan to what I way on on payg was €30. I'd have to be a special king of idiot to go for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I could see the benefits of a contract, if the user was a bit data consumer or something...but to equate it as to how much of a 'grown up' someone is seems a tad silly :o

Master of the Universe

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    You'd be suprised how many 'grown ups' are on PAYG. For a lot it makes sense to be on bill but they stay putting in 20 a week on credit,
    Irish people are unique, we once bought the most quantities of the 3 month xbox online membership in Europe in a year.

If I top up 20 euro, I get pretty much unlimited internet usage for the month.

So what I do is this;

Top up 20 euro.
    Browse the internet on my phone every day for a month.
    Next month rolls around, internet package is gone
    - Use the remainder of the credit to go online (I think it's a Euro a day for 1Gb of data)

Top up again once the credit runs out.

Doing the above, I manage to get about a month and a half's worth of phone calls/internet usage out of 20 euro credit.

After seeing the huge bills my girlfriend has received for exceeding data usage limits etc there's no way I'll ever go bill pay with a phone. To me, it's completely unnecessary.

Oh a side point, I can top up via online banking, so it's not like I'm stopping into a shop to get credit like I'm still living in the 90s :D

Bill pay suits me for the data addons and international data and other bits and pieces.
    Saying that, my iPad is on a pay as you go type of thing as 20 euro a month gives me all the data I need on that and I can always share out my phone connection should I run out.

Myrddin wrote: »

I don't hate PAYG customers, just the ones who won't get it off me when they are topping up by massive amounts and it would actually save them money. I have targets ya know.

Ol_Gil_by_Kaaziel.png

There are loads of those people out there who would benefit from moving to bill.
    Obviously there are those that can get on perfectly fine on PAYG as well and I was one of them until I got a free phone and a nice staff discount.

So what I do is this;

Top up 20 euro.
    Browse the internet on my phone every day for a month.
    Next month rolls around, internet package is gone
    - Use the remainder of the credit to go online (I think it's a Euro a day for 1Gb of data)

Top up again once the credit runs out.

Doing the above, I manage to get about a month and a half's worth of phone calls/internet usage out of 20 euro credit.

After seeing the huge bills my girlfriend has received for exceeding data usage limits etc there's no way I'll ever go bill pay with a phone. To me, it's completely unnecessary.

Oh a side point, I can top up via online banking, so it's not like I'm stopping into a shop to get credit like I'm still living in the 90s :D

That can happen all right and it is usually down to the customer service representative being a lying sleaze just trying to push through a sale and not actually doing their job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A contract doesn't make much sense to me. I'm still on a Nokia brick. If I top up with 20 euro credit I get free text for a month then the 20 euros credit lasts me about 3-4 months before it runs out. I use my phone so little that a contract just doesn't make financial sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm stuck with near 50 a month contract and an S4 for the next 18 months :(
    But, on a brighter note, it is an S4!
    So there'll be little it won't run properly until I get an upgrade, in September 2015 :eek:

I may buy something Chinese and mental between now and then, there's some seriously good looking handsets coming out over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

A 50 month contract? :eek:

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    A 50 month contract? :eek:

No, it's €50 a month for 24 months, but I'm 6 months in already.
    But the phone is a winner, just the dusty proximity sensor plays havoc with the screen during calls and it's a design flaw with the phone.
    Also, I've replaced the "feature packed" OS with Cyanogenmod, much much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

New flyback and HOT fitted so one 1084S monitor back in action :)

Master of the Universe

New flyback and HOT fitted so one 1084S monitor back in action :)

It worked???

Brilliant!! Another CRT saved from the recycling centre. :D

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    No, it's €50 a month for 24 months, but I'm 6 months in already.
    But the phone is a winner, just the dusty proximity sensor plays havoc with the screen during calls and it's a design flaw with the phone.
    Also, I've replaced the "feature packed" OS with Cyanogenmod, much much better.

But they're such great and useful features :rolleyes:

The whole smartphone market is mad. Incremental updates that people must have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

It worked???

Brilliant!! Another CRT saved from the recycling centre. :D

Yep, bit of a panic at the start when I switched in on to a blank screen until I realised it was set to composite instead of RGB :)

This realisation took several minutes, cup of tea and several choice swear words..

Is this ad still up?

I think he may have banned me if it is, as i cant see it.

Master of the Universe

Withdrawn!

Which provider is doing this €20 all you can eat data deal?

Its not 3 is it?

They have a fair usage policy limited to 16GBs so it isnt really unlimited.

Someone said its not enforced though.

I'd be interested but I heard their data network is shocking.

I'd like to use unlimited data so I can stream music from spotify but without any buffering.

Withdrawn!

The seller definitely banned me becuase i get a blank screen only on his ad on the adverts app, and on the website it shows me 2 other ads in the result that have the same game.

Delighted, because if i'm selling something on adverts I won't have to deal with the prick!

Its not 3 is it?

I'd like to use unlimited data so I can stream music from spotify but without any buffering.

As far as I know it has never been enforced. Their data can be hit and miss at times, same as any. Can be excellent in a lot of rural, smaller towns.

Their 4G speeds are quite good and would let you stream spotify, with the extreme quality setting on, with no problems.
    I've done it no problems with 3G data in and around Limerick setting as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Its not 3 is it?

I'm with 3.
    20 euro top up and I get 2 million MB according to the screenshot below :pac:

http://i.imgur.com/RSWT1p8.png

Master of the Universe

Its not 3 is it?

Ah I kind of misrepresented what I meant.

By 'pretty much' I meant that it's pretty much unlimited to me.

I get 1Gb of mobile data a day for 20 euro a month.

Only use it for browsing things like boards/ebay/email so it never comes anywhere close to 1Gb.

What are people paying for their 20" PVM's? I've got a line on 2 20" BVM's and both seem to be going for about 180 sterling each. Decent price???

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement