Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I had a parcel waiting for collection in Parcel Motel.

I expected it to be Shenmue. Ordered it ages ago, it's finally here. I've been putting it on the long finger for far too long so decided it was time.

Opened the Parcel Motel door - little package inside.

'That's not Shenmue!!! God damn it!! It's just Dark Souls 2!! :(

My sad face lasted for about half a second.

Dark Souls 2!!!!! :D:D:D

€34 delivered from a UK seller on ebay. Take that Gamestop tax.

Master of the Universe

Steve SI wrote: »
    What are people paying for their 20" PVM's? I've got a line on 2 20" BVM's and both seem to be going for about 180 sterling each. Decent price???

That might sound like some mental pricing but I reckon that's about what they'll run you if you're buying online. I didn't come across any that would work out cheaper. (the cheaper ones were all located in faraway lands)

What model of BVM are they? Do they come with the control board thingy?

PVMs are far cheaper, but BVMs are higher grade monitors. So go with one of them if you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    That might sound like some mental pricing but I reckon that's about what they'll run you if you're buying online. I didn't come across any that would work out cheaper. (the cheaper ones were all located in faraway lands)

What model of BVM are they? Do they come with the control board thingy?

PVMs are far cheaper, but BVMs are higher grade monitors. So go with one of them if you can.

I think the price is ok at 180 with 20 delivery to parcel motel.
    They are Sony BVM-20E1E Grade 1 and comes with BKM-10R remote panel. Also has a couple of expansion boards installed with exactly 27 million connections :)

Master of the Universe

Steve SI wrote: »
    I think the price is ok at 180 with 20 delivery to parcel motel.
    They are Sony BVM-20E1E Grade 1 and comes with BKM-10R remote panel. Also has a couple of expansion boards installed with exactly 27 million connections :)

Pounce now, no thought process needs to be involved on this one :pac:

I've seriously heard 'best CRT Sony ever produced' in relation to that monitor.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Take that Gamestop tax.

Was in my local Gamestop yesterday just having a look about - not sure why they bother selling PC games - the prices are silly compared to what you can get online. Lego Marvel Super Heroes 20+ quid, I bought a key online for 6 I think it was. Moved on to the Wii U section - almost cursed out loud at the price of Mario 3D World - 65 quid! Wtf. Maybe that's the same for the other next gen games I'm not sure, want to be nuts to pay that though. Probably spolied with the relative cheapness of online PC game prices.

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Was in my local Gamestop yesterday just having a look about - not sure why they bother selling PC games - the prices are silly compared to what you can get online. Lego Marvel Super Heroes 20+ quid, I bought a key online for 6 I think it was. Moved on to the Wii U section - almost cursed out loud at the price of Mario 3D World - 65 quid! Wtf. Maybe that's the same for the other next gen games I'm not sure, want to be nuts to pay that though. Probably spolied with the relative cheapness of online PC game prices.

I really don't know how they stay in business with those prices. Who has the money to be spending 65 quid a pop on a game, especially now with the internet being in every home (and pretty much every phone?)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There appears to be one, final copy of The Last Story in Tesco Ashbourne.
    They've a few bits here.

The lads were playing 3D World in store previously and it does look gorgeous - but not worth forking out for a console. Was half tempted to get a PS3 500GB and start downloading the PS+ games I've been 'buying' each month. Actually do Ninty have anything similar to PS+?

Master of the Universe

The lads were playing 3D World in store previously and it does look gorgeous - but not worth forking out for a console. Was half tempted to get a PS3 500GB and start downloading the PS+ games I've been 'buying' each month. Actually do Ninty have anything similar to PS+?

You still haven't dipped into any Nintendo console this gen have ya?

I'm still debating about whether to pull the trigger on the WiiU. Do love my 3DS but I'm not sure if a WiiU would get played all that much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Was half tempted to get a PS3 500GB and start downloading the PS+ games I've been 'buying' each month.

Ah the genius of PS+ at work again :)

Pounce now, no thought process needs to be involved on this one :pac:

I've seriously heard 'best CRT Sony ever produced' in relation to that monitor.

Yeah, I'll probably go for one of them. Not as easy as just buying one and getting it shipped though. Money has to go into escrow and all that malarkey.

You still haven't dipped into any Nintendo console this gen have ya?

I'm still debating about whether to pull the trigger on the WiiU. Do love my 3DS but I'm not sure if a WiiU would get played all that much.

Aye, still no next gen in this house yet. I like the look of the Yoshi 3DSXL and some of the WiiU first party titles look lovely, but realistically it would be a waste of money considering the lack of time I would have for any of them. I'm kind of hoping (dreaming maybe) that The Last Guardian will be annouced as a PS4 title due early 2015 or something - the PS4 should have more decent titles by then (especially on PS+) and I'd prob hop on board.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I made a joke about the Last Guardian being a launch game for the PS5, a poster asked "what is a PS5?", I despair and thank the gods I'm a mod in here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Almost wet myself when I heard this yesterday

GOTY for me for sure, even though it's all hype at the moment. Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald were my favorite games in the series so it'll be great to see some remakes. What makes it more fantastic is that I'll more than likely be in Japan in November so depending on release date, I could be at the Pokémon centre on release day which would be a dream come true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    There appears to be one, final copy of The Last Story in Tesco Ashbourne.
    They've a few bits here.

If you see it again, I'd really appreciate it if you picked it up! I keep missing it!

• Advertisement

RedXIV wrote: »
    If you see it again, I'd really appreciate it if you picked it up! I keep missing it!

I have it here.
    There's nothing I want out there, so I'll trade ya for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have it here.
    There's nothing I want out there, so I'll trade ya for it!

I'll have a dig around and see what I have. You might end up with cash though, :o I'm running low on doubles.

I do have some odd bits and pieces around though. I'll stick them up probably in the morning :)

Cheers!

I'll stick it on the Marketplace, hold it for you while you look about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,901 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

How can you tell if an xbox cable is RGB? I bought this to use with my Jamma adapter which needs RGB http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=191042689163 but it still has no picture like the scart lead with just the L and R and analogue in.

says nothing about RGB on the box

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

safetyboy wrote: »
    How can you tell if an xbox cable is RGB? I bought this to use with my Jamma adapter which needs RGB http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=191042689163 but it still has no picture like the scart lead with just the L and R and analogue in.

says nothing about RGB on the box

Check the scart connector itself, does it have all the pins?

Edit - just saw the pic in the auction, looks legit.

Open up the scart connector (just screw the big plastic bit off at the top of it) and see if all the pins are wired up.

I've seen dodgy ones where they have a full set of pins, but only the composite ones wired.

cheers will check later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Today's TeeFury is retro epic...

88eDFZ.png

Check the scart connector itself, does it have all the pins?

Edit - just saw the pic in the auction, looks legit.

Open up the scart connector (just screw the big plastic bit off at the top of it) and see if all the pins are wired up.

I've seen dodgy ones where they have a full set of pins, but only the composite ones wired.

Only 5 wires connected but looks like if I cut the cable back all the wires are there.

Master of the Universe

Check the ones connected up against an RGB scart pinout to see if you do actually have RGB running through

scartdiag.gif

You might do but there could be a sync issue happening :( (although I think that would at least give you a garbled mess on the screen)

2, 4, 6, 18, 20

Master of the Universe

Eek. Sounds like a composite cable.

Most of those pins there are for audio. The only video ones there are for composite!

Edit - yeah looking at the photo of the item itself (and ignoring the text in his auction) it doesn't actually say anything about being RGB scart.

Says it's S video & 'Scart AV' (Which in this case, just means composite)

Master of the Universe

This one looks legit;

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Digital-RGB-Scart-AV-S-Video-Cable-Original-Xbox-NEW-/140553966662?pt=UK_Video_Games_Cables_and_Adaptors&hash=item20b9ab5446

Although if you're good with an iron just connect up the other wires on your existing one :)

Cant buy another that would be 3 of them. i'll try wire it if i can figure out :)

I'm just downloading all the updated videos from emumovies for my hyperspin setup. Must say they've done a lot of work since i last updated(about a year ago) and there's just loads of good stuff on their ftp :)
    80GB or there abouts of vids to come down.

If you've access and not checked in a while its worth having a look.

• Advertisement

Moving to a new web hosting service is a pain in the cornholio :mad:
    I wish companies would hire better people!!

I moved Retrovia to a new service yesterday and they made a mistake. I asked them to restore it from the backup then, "oh we didnt backup anything" :mad::mad:
    Luckily I backed it up myself but still a pain to get everything up and running. Anyway rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Thinking about selling my game collection and just buying a s2dsnes. Need the money :( Whats the best avenue, adverts? I'd hope to try and sell it all together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Stick it up on the marketplace?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

nuxxx wrote: »
    Thinking about selling my game collection and just buying a s2dsnes. Need the money :( Whats the best avenue, adverts? I'd hope to try and sell it all together

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,901 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

nuxxx wrote: »

I'll give you 79 euro for it all. You won't get better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

or if it were on Pawn Stars:

Seller: I'd like 2,000
    Broker: I'll give you 40 for the lot
    Seller: Would you go 60?
    Broker: I've got to pay for staff and overheads, and they're going to sit for a long time, I'll go 50 and not a penny more.
    Seller: Okay, I'll take 50

[handshake]

Seller (outside): I wanted two grand but we settled on 50, I think I got a fair price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

Anyone have experience with an RGB Scart Cable for the Wii?

Thinking of ordering this one:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280788373078

You reckon it will be fine?

Master of the Universe

I bought a couple of ones like that before and they turned out to be legit.

You won't really know until you connect it up. Cheap enough to take a gamble though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

I just made this. The world needs more reaction gifs.

NeedyUnkemptGander.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

C64 Reset Magazine Free http://reset.cbm8bit.com/?dir=issue1

Anyone put the homebrew channel on a Wii recently?

Not sure which exploit to choose, running system version 3.1 so can choose any really:
    http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Channel#Pick_an_exploit

Edit: A lot of these use hacked saves from games, anyone know of an exploit without the need for using a game?

Just saw that the letter bomb exploit works on the latest system menu 4.3 without the need for using a game! :)

http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/LetterBomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Yep. That's what I used on 4.3E after I upgraded the firmware from 2.1E officially. Else I'd have had to buy a game and do it.

Works like a champ now except the component cable I bought is broken and the official RGB SCART I have doesn't work properly with NTSC-J games, it displays the colours wrong.

Time to find a new component cable...

waveform wrote: »
    Anyone have experience with an RGB Scart Cable for the Wii?

Thinking of ordering this one:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280788373078

You reckon it will be fine?

See above post. It's crap. :)

• Advertisement

Anyone know if you can patch dreamcast gdi image files with a different region?
    Only for games I legally own etc etc :)

Yep. No point though. Use a boot disc or chip it.

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Yep. No point though. Use a boot disc or chip it.

How does one patch the files?

STG.Otaku wrote: »

Cheers, But i found a proper "source" of PAL GDI files that will do the job.
    It's for the GDEmu as it should be here tomorrow or there abouts. I'll chip my DC or grab an import at some stage in the near future.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement