Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Saw this monstrosity in Palma airport yesterday:

Ik1pcTu.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Why are people always firing their guns in completely impossible positions on old videogame covers?

Look at this cover for Arnie on the C64. He's posing for the camera, showing off a bit of muscle, kind of looks like he's slapping another mag into his uzi.

Why is the gun firing???

1272172550-00.jpg

So they fixed it in the sequel, phew!

1272171840-00.jpg

And then go back to a bit of madness again with the start screen.

arnie_2_01.gif

Seems to be that if there was a gun, there must be a muzzle flash! Even if it makes zero sense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,904 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It gives him +5 to all Charisma rolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

DinoRex wrote: »

Ik1pcTu.jpg
    Why the hell would you want to play Street Fighter with a dpad like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

waveform wrote: »
    Didn't know this existed:

http://www.adverts.ie/5490580

I wonder if used the same horrible emulation as the AtGames console or something better.

I've got one of those...
    For sale...
    Hint, hinty hint hint...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

o1s1n wrote: »
    It seems videogame collectors have at some point began accumulating lots of money.

I would have thought that it was more a case of people with lots of money accumulating video games myself :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Monkeykube wrote: »
    I would have thought that it was more a case of people with lots of money accumulating video games myself :rolleyes:

A case of the following?

307159.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

DinoRex wrote: »

Ik1pcTu.jpg

Looks like a PC in the Naomi cab, with USB Xbox360/PC controllers hack on. It was a multi game cab I take it?

Edit: 'Play Games PC' is a give away eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

Its the worst f*cking d-pad ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I've got one of those...
    For sale...
    Hint, hinty hint hint...

And there's another one after popping up!

http://www.adverts.ie/5494380

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Saw the exact same machine in Gerona airport in Spain, must be the one person who does them all. They are disgusting to play

It's the big dumb pictures of the 360 pads where the sticks should be that really takes the piss for me!

Saw the exact same machine in Gerona airport in Spain, must be the one person who does them all. They are disgusting to play

Pretty sure I saw the same OS on a machine in an aparthotel that I stayed in a year or so ago in Fuerteventura.

A Euro for something like 10 minutes of play. It was hilarious as the machine it was installed on had Super Street Fighter IV on it but the machine couldn't actually handle the game so it was running at something like 8FPS and looked like it was in slow motion.

Awful stuff.

I'm sure some of you have seen these. But for those that haven't.

http://candykiller.bigcartel.com/
    The guy does good work and I think I'd like to get the 3 of them off him.
    He even shared high res pics so you could probably just print them off. But they really aren't high enough for professional printing so you're better off gettting the prints from him.

cgfm.pngnqa7.png
    hfjj.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was going to tell you which one I love, but I love them all!
    Might download them and stitch them together as wallpaper one phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

Ok guys, as a poor man who wants to get his mits on a neo geo console what would you recommend going for? An AES or CD?

I only have a budget of 200 in total for it, so it really limits my choices!!

Also, has anyone on this board got one of these machines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Hygro wrote: »
    Ok guys, as a poor man who wants to get his mits on a neo geo console what would you recommend going for? An AES or CD?

AES - Good look collecting games for it...you're gonna need some deep pockets.
    CD - Loading times are x1 speed I think? So pretty awful.

Get a consolised MVS, or a Supergun maybe?

Master of the Universe

Buy a 1 slot MVS arcade board. They're small and are more like a console.

approx 50 - 70 euro.

Buy a Supergun. These range from Vogatek ones (which cost about 40 - 50 quid) all the way up to ones which cost a fortune.

The Last Bandit manufactured his own ones and are worth checking out.

Buy a Neo Geo AES arcade stick to plug into the supergun. (approx 30 euro)

Master of the Universe

Or, you can go down another route which is what I did a few years back.

Buy a Neo Geo AES console (was €150 when I got it but they may be more now)

Buy an MVS cart > AES console adapter (fairly expensive, probably minimum €150)

You'll be able to play the arcade carts on a home console. They're far cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,904 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd go with a supergun and a MVS. MVS games are so much cheaper. I thought there was problems with scaling on a AES using a MVS adpater?

Master of the Universe

The only game I've really noticed the scaling issue in is The Last Blade. I believe it happens in AOF2 too.

Good write up on it here.

http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/supermvsconverter2.html

It depends on your priorities I guess. If you're really into fighters then it would be best avoided. But if you're buying it more for Metal Slug, Puzzle Bobble and all that kind of stuff then it's grand.

When I bought my AES & converter, having a neat console system was more important to me than the scaling issue experienced in a few fighters.

I'd gone down the MVS & Supergun route, but just found it too ugly/space consuming.

I guess the ideal solution would be the consolised mvs, with regard to looking more aestheticly pleasing than the mvs slot/supergun combo and working out cheaper in the long run than an AES (for each game you get)...the only thing is they start at $499!!

Master of the Universe

Yeah definitely don't go the consolized route. Those things are a rip off. I've heard bad things about some of them. (specifically the ones made by Neotropolis http://www.neotropolis.net/

If you can't deal with the ugly of the MVS/Supergun route, then go AES & MVS adapter.

Only other option then is getting a cab ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yeah definitely don't go the consolized route. Those things are a rip off. I've heard bad things about some of them. (specifically the ones made by Neotropolis http://www.neotropolis.net/

If you can't deal with the ugly of the MVS/Supergun route, then go AES & MVS adapter.

Only other option then is getting a cab ;)

I forgot about those MVS/AES converters...an AES with one of those would prob be the nest route agreed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Just take up drug dealing and go down the AES route and collect AES titles. Forget about superguns that and consolized this.

MVS, and an 80 in 1 cart, at least to get you started.

Well this used to be my MVS system ... almost 7 years ago to this day I posted this pic on this site ... I miss it now!! :(

The slot is pretty exposed but it's not too fugly, I'd take it all back now ... all is forgiven!!!

RetroSystem-JPG_zpsc4fecb80.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Consolised MVS's shouldn't be expensive, the technical side of consolising them takes only an hour with a soldering iron. Making them look pretty, this can take a lot of time and money I guess.

But the typical stick it on a perspex sheet and charging a few hundred quid extra is a bit of a joke..

As awesome as my superguns are, buying one just for a single Neogeo board would be a waste of money , you'd effectively be paying a premium for the extra features it has without getting to use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Steve SI wrote: »
    I'm sure some of you have seen these. But for those that haven't.

http://candykiller.bigcartel.com/
    The guy does good work and I think I'd like to get the 3 of them off him.
    He even shared high res pics so you could probably just print them off. But they really aren't high enough for professional printing so you're better off gettting the prints from him.

[Robocop]
    [Alien]
    [Blade Runner]

Oh man, this one... :eek:
    1521708_765580963474339_6501406803876506870_n.jpg

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Well this used to be my MVS system ... almost 7 years ago to this day I posted this pic on this site ... I miss it now!! :(

They're really lovely superguns, I think it's the same as Andrew76's one, modified Dreamcast sticks and all?
    Oh man, this one.

I love his colour palette, but the stylized way he's doing the faces with the lines of colour really pisses me off :pac:

If he dialed that back they'd look a hundred times better. It's makes them look amateurish when they shouldn't.

Can really see it when you zoom in on the faces.

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/1971/9emi.png

/art critic hat.

Myrddin wrote: »
    I forgot about those MVS/AES converters...an AES with one of those would prob be the nest route agreed

Jesus, they're even more expensive than the AES!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neo-Geo-MVS-Magic-Key-/291131893796?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories_VideoGameAccessories_JN&hash=item43c8d02824

They're really lovely superguns, I think it's the same as Andrew76's one, modified Dreamcast sticks and all?

I love his colour palette, but the stylized way he's doing the faces with the lines of colour really pisses me off :pac:

If he dialed that back they'd look a hundred times better. It's makes them look amateurish when they shouldn't.

/art critic hat.

Yeah I know what you mean about the faces. It looks like he used some vector overlay(over original artwork I'd guess) to get the job done and give it its own "style".
    Still, i like the finished product even with the faces that way they are.

And as anyone who works with graphics will probably know by looking at the way he's done it, it would be pretty easy to at least double the image resolution without losing a lot of detail. So if you were a dodgy sort you could grab the high(ish)resolution images he's shared, do a bit of work on them for 5 mins and then get them professionally printed.

Where'd you think he got it from? :pac:

/art critic hat.

It's a print trick, I'd rather that stylisation over some poor looking dithering.

Consolised MVS's shouldn't be expensive, the technical side of consolising them takes only an hour with a soldering iron. Making them look pretty, this can take a lot of time and money I guess.

But the typical stick it on a perspex sheet and charging a few hundred quid extra is a bit of a joke..

As awesome as my superguns are, buying one just for a single Neogeo board would be a waste of money , you'd effectively be paying a premium for the extra features it has without getting to use them.

Do you consolise MVS's? :o

Master of the Universe

Where'd you think he got it from? :pac:

Ahhh, I was going to ask, but then saw all the MVS carts (and not the PCBs I remember him saying he got with it) so thought that it must be a different one. :)
    It's a print trick, I'd rather that stylisation over some poor looking dithering.

I'd rather something which had neither tbh.

When you zoom out or the image is viewed from a distance/shrunk down to fit in a post they look great.

But the size of the brush strokes from a standard viewing distance if they're large prints is just too big.

I guess it depends how big the prints are. If they're coming out the same size as the image looks when being viewed on a monitor then yeah, it's off I reckon and looks amateurish/overly stylized. If they're smaller though it would probably work.

Ahhh, I was going to ask, but then saw all the MVS carts (and not the PCBs I remember him saying he got with it) so thought that it must be a different one. :)

I'd rather something which had neither tbh.

When you zoom out or the image is viewed from a distance/shrunk down to fit in a post they look great.

But the size of the brush strokes from a standard viewing distance if they're large prints is just too big.

I guess it depends how big the prints are. If they're coming out the same size as the image looks when being viewed on a monitor then yeah, it's off I reckon and looks amateurish/overly stylized. If they're smaller though it would probably work.

From the site, I think they're A2, so probably noticeable enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Do you consolise MVS's? :o

Only my own I'm afraid and it definitely fits into the ugly but works great category :)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Only my own I'm afraid and it definitely fits into the ugly but works great category :)

Whack on a bit of superficial gloss and you can put a 500% markup on it :D

I painted a portrait a couple of years ago and I sank 60+ hours into it.
    If I was to charge properly for it I'd have looked for 8/900 for it, but it was a gift.
    But there was a small gallery in Swords where you could get your portraits done, on a large canvas, for 250, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how they did it for so little.
    The style of work on those prints is the same, smoothing out the blemishes with photoshop and presumably printing it to a canvas and topping it off with a layer of paint for effect.
    Feckers!
    How is an artist supposed to survive?
    Aside from having a proper job like...

Master of the Universe

That's fairly dodgy behaviour! I'd be well pissed if I bought a portrait and it turned out to be some painted on digitized crap.

Yeah I know what you mean about the time thing. If you want to make a living from it you need to charge quite a lot per painting.

A friend of mine from college now sells his paintings for 6-10k a piece. You'd think that's a hell of a lot, but when you see the amount of time he puts into each one (you're talking months) then it's not the most lucrative of businesses.

Although I guess he's still doing something he enjoys rather than sitting in an office :)

If I was to charge properly for it I'd have looked for 8/900 for it, but it was a gift.
    But there was a small gallery in Swords where you could get your portraits done, on a large canvas, for 250, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how they did it for so little.
    The style of work on those prints is the same, smoothing out the blemishes with photoshop and presumably printing it to a canvas and topping it off with a layer of paint for effect.
    Feckers!

I suppose a proper artist has a more natural style compared to these very technical images(except Bob Ross style paintings, they all look the same as even I have done those :))
    Give me a photo and I'll turn it into any artistic style you could want and have it printed on canvas. But, compare that to something someone with talent has actually hand painted and there is no comparison.

Feckers!

I think someone got something like that done of my father last year. It was pretty awful looking, I thought George W Bush had painted it.

Sure, throw me a new PS4 and I'll paint you a proper one!
    See, I'm affordable and my prices in a currency all can understand!

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »
    I suppose a proper artist has a more natural style compared to these very technical images(except Bob Ross style paintings, they all look the same as even I have done those :))
    Give me a photo and I'll turn it into any artistic style you could want and have it printed on canvas. But, compare that to something someone with talent has actually hand painted and there is no comparison.

Or then there's me!

I was hanging my stuff around the railings on Stephen's Green a few years ago and one pretentious so and so asked me "Are you an amateur or a real artist?"
    Nice.....

That's fairly dodgy behaviour! I'd be well pissed if I bought a portrait and it turned out to be some painted on digitized crap.

Yeah I know what you mean about the time thing. If you want to make a living from it you need to charge quite a lot per painting.

A friend of mine from college now sells his paintings for 6-10k a piece. You'd think that's a hell of a lot, but when you see the amount of time he puts into each one (you're talking months) then it's not the most lucrative of businesses.

Although I guess he's still doing something he enjoys rather than sitting in an office :)

I have about 12 and a half years left in the job, after which I'll be painting full time.
    I reckon I just might be able to make a couple of quid, if not in selling at least in teaching perhaps.
    Might actually have to go and do a formal art course though, seeing as I'm mostly self taught.
    My landscapes, seascapes and the occasional portrait seem to go down well.

I did this recently and sold it,
    Mir7fAC.jpg
    Looks a lot better in the flesh!

Can you paint me like one of your French women?

Master of the Universe

Great painting! Commission or did someone just like it and make an offer?

I might go back and do a hdip in teaching at some point and go down that route.

Missus keeps pushing me to do one asap so we can both go off abroad for two months every summer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Great painting! Commission or did someone just like it and make an offer?

I might go back and do a hdip in teaching at some point and go down that route.

Missus keeps pushing me to do one asap so we can both go off abroad for two months every summer :D

That's the dream all right, pity I will be teaching one of the least kept on subjects for the leaving cert and another that only goes up to junior cycle or whatever the feck its called now.
    Only a couple of years to go now! And then I can be an unemployed teacher.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement