Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have about 12 and a half years left in the job, after which I'll be painting full time.
    I reckon I just might be able to make a couple of quid, if not in selling at least in teaching perhaps.
    Might actually have to go and do a formal art course though, seeing as I'm mostly self taught.
    My landscapes, seascapes and the occasional portrait seem to go down well.

I did this recently and sold it,
    2lqn.jpg
    Looks a lot better in the flesh!

You sir, are a sick individual :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Great painting! Commission or did someone just like it and make an offer?

I might go back and do a hdip in teaching at some point and go down that route.

Missus keeps pushing me to do one asap so we can both go off abroad for two months every summer :D

Commission, so I knew I'd get paid, which is nice.
    I'd love to have the freedom to travel and paint, it'd be glorious.
    You never know.
    I'd like to get into Science Fiction /Fantasy art as well, so much is done with the aid of a PC/Mac now, I'd like to do work in acrylic.
    Sure, you never know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I just realised that my real world identity is given away in the corner of the painting....
    Don't tell anyone will you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Well speaking as someone who makes a steady income as a digital artist here's me 2 cents.

Well for one those posters are just high res photos edited and painted in illustrator. Takes some work but its something I'm not a fan of. It's just kind of lazy to do when doing it "properly" just takes a little bit extra

From my experience the only way to produce anything of good quality is to start by hand. Any type of illustrations that I have done that I was happy with started life as a sketch. In terms of making money some artists who's stuff sells for thousands usually has a crap ton of times, effort and material put into it.

I had a client once who kicked up a fuss when his bill came to €300 for an, extremely complex, t shirt design. Despite that he was selling them for €25 a piece and had me redo several parts and I had sank a huge amount of time, and really was just a dickhead about it. His sales for the design were over 170 units when I was talking to him afterwards. So basically if you're an artist be prepared to put up with a lot of **** until you're good enough to be able to tell people to feck off

I would show ye all as well but the type of contract wouldn't allow me to divulge!

Well speaking as someone who makes a steady income as a digital artist here's me 2 cents.

Well for one those posters are just high res photos edited and painted in illustrator. Takes some work but its something I'm not a fan of. It's just kind of lazy to do when doing it "properly" just takes a little bit extra

From my experience the only way to produce anything of good quality is to start by hand. Any type of illustrations that I have done that I was happy with started life as a sketch. In terms of making money some artists who's stuff sells for thousands usually has a crap ton of times, effort and material put into it.

I had a client once who kicked up a fuss when his bill came to €300 for an, extremely complex, t shirt design. Despite that he was selling them for €25 a piece and had me redo several parts and I had sank a huge amount of time, and really was just a dickhead about it. His sales for the design were over 170 units when I was talking to him afterwards. So basically if you're an artist be prepared to put up with a lot of **** until you're good enough to be able to tell people to feck off

I would show ye all as well but the type of contract wouldn't allow me to divulge!

What kind of stuff do you do? Be interested to have a gander :)

I know.
    I was selling paintings for between 200 and 300 unframed, then things got a little tight over the last few years so I dropped everything by about a third.
    I did some smaller pieces, all unique mind you, and had them up for 60/70, cheapest paintings of their size in the exhibition, and people still want to feel like they are getting one over on you and start lowballing.
    Adverts hasn't a patch on people buying art, no a patch on the sort of time wasters I've dealt with in the nine years I've been selling.

Steve SI wrote: »
    What kind of stuff do you do? Be interested to have a gander :)

Well all stuff I do for money is usually crap that I hate. But all my own stuff is gaming and nostalgia themed for my own apparel line I can hopefully get out by the end of the year.

Think along the lines of johnny cupcakes, electric zombie, that kind of indie brand stuff, but injected with some pork chop express :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Well all stuff I do for money is usually crap that I hate. But all my own stuff is gaming and nostalgia themed for my own apparel line I can hopefully get out by the end of the year.

Think along the lines of johnny cupcakes, electric zombie, that kind of indie brand stuff, but injected with some pork chop express :P

He also designed the awesome logo marquee for my bartop which I now use as branding for my website etc.

Top man!

I've started to add manuals to the ArcadeArtwork website. Nothing that you cant source elsewhere but I thought it might be handy to have them there alongside the arcade and console artwork and covers etc. I have a load of them to get sorted and will be uploading more over the next while. Google drive links for them so can be read online or downloaded(or sideloaded to your own gdrive).
    Anyway, just thought I'd mention it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Speaking of manuals, I'm missing one for Castlevania SOTN, if someone spots one for sale please give me a shout. or if anyone would like to take the game off me for the right price I'm looking to sell some stuff.
    Just would rather sell it complete or at least have it complete to keep.

How much is one worth without the manual out of curiosity :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Steve SI wrote: »
    I'm sure some of you have seen these. But for those that haven't.

http://candykiller.bigcartel.com/
    The guy does good work and I think I'd like to get the 3 of them off him.
    He even shared high res pics so you could probably just print them off. But they really aren't high enough for professional printing so you're better off gettting the prints from him.

Just nabbed the Alien one. Looks great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

How do I add folks and stuff for thing on the 3DS and stuff. Or find your code to do the thing with the yokiebob?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    How do I add folks and stuff for thing on the 3DS and stuff. Or find your code to do the thing with the yokiebob?

On the home screen press the little smiley face icon at the top of the touch screen. There you can see your fried code and add others :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Cheers sir! Gimme yer codes! :)

Probably going to get my tits out because I'm drunk and it's my birthday.

Whip them out young fella!

Whip them out young fella!

You're a bad influence!!!

Happy Birthday!
    Congrats!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Happy Birthday!
    Congrats!

Thx bbz. Never thought I'd make it this far but thanks to you all I've made it! This ones for Jesus!

In other news I've just been hot in by a transvestite. Conchita all up in this club.

Also, undefeated streak as street fighter champ as chun li.

#StupidSexySelfie

I know we should have left it. But it had to be done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

#StupidSexySelfie
    I didn't know they copied your face for the ASM2 Electro bust.

amazing_news_2.jpg

I didn't know they copied your face for the ASM2 Electro bust.

amazing_news_2.jpg

But I have 2 tone hair!

#hairdresserlife

#swagswagswag

• Advertisement

I forsee some photoshop work in the immediate future...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Congrats!

Are you legal yet? ;)

Happy birthday #swagswagswag is my new favourite hashtag now

Congrats!

Are you legal yet? ;)

Just about!

I feel like death today :(

Legal to be tried as an adult and have to motorboat his cell mates butt cheeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

Picked up a couple of these bad boys in pretty bad shape today, thankfully was able to get them all clean and shiny :D

HbG7rTml.jpg

Master of the Universe

Nice :)

How are the D pads on them holding up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

Ok guys I've got €275 to spend on getting myself a good start on a neo geo collection...MVS/CD or AES (Haha, just kidding about the last bit).

Now that's for EVERYTHING, system, controllers (preferably 2) and game(s).

My main concern really is (apart from decent gaming of course) having a nice neat set-up to have in front of the tv, so I'm just wondering what would be the best way to go in that case.

I've seen a few superguns that would be in my price range, but they don't look as aesthetically pleasing as would be required (they kinda look like an open board) if it was to reside in my front room and my GF wouldn't stand for it (I'm still trying to slowly put new consoles in front of the TV without her knowing ... but I think she's onto me).

I think a top loading MVS slot would look okay, but would probably need to sit on top an enclosed supergun.

Master of the Universe

Christ, that set up wouldn't go down well with herself, LOL.

I actually used to own one of those Superguns you put in the 2nd link (Costs £199 of my £220 for a new one though). While that could possibly be the cleanest "combo" version I could hope to get (along with a MVC1) just them alone would set me back about £275.

Hmmm, my only other option really would be the Neo CD, at least that'll only set me back about €200 with a couple of games.

Master of the Universe

Don't even think of bothering with a Neo CD. The load times will have you pulling your hair out in frustration. Emulation would even be a better option than that. :(

Maybe just keep an eye out for another one of those supernova superguns and you might get a bargain. I'll let you know if I come across any in my daily searches.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,904 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Neo geo cd is absolute thrash don't go near it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Neo geo cd is absolute thrash don't go near it.

Why don't you tell us what you really think? :pac:

Master of the Universe

Hygro wrote: »
    Why don't you tell us what you really think? :pac:

He's actually being kind and his comment was an insult to trash :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Hygro wrote: »
    Ok guys I've got €275 to spend on getting myself a good start on a neo geo collection...MVS/CD or AES (Haha, just kidding about the last bit).

Now that's for EVERYTHING, system, controllers (preferably 2) and game(s).

My main concern really is (apart from decent gaming of course) having a nice neat set-up to have in front of the tv, so I'm just wondering what would be the best way to go in that case.

What are your soldering skills like? MVS one slots can be easily consolised so need for a supergun at all.

You'll get a one slot for €80 max. Get a 161 in 1 cart for similar and you're good to go! Parts and pad 40 maybe?
    Should leave you plenty of dosh to spare!

http://www.neo-geo.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Consolize_an_MVS_Board

• Advertisement

What are your soldering skills like? MVS one slots can be easily consolised so need for a supergun at all.

You'll get a one slot for €80 max. Get a 161 in 1 cart for similar and you're good to go! Parts and pad 40 maybe?
    Should leave you plenty of dosh to spare!

http://www.neo-geo.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Consolize_an_MVS_Board

My soldering skills are a 10 .... out of 100. If I could solder that's defo the route I'd take.

I've seen some decent looking consolised mvs's out there (i.e. something that won't look out of place in front of a sitting room tv) but they go for stupid money.

Master of the Universe

Mak Strike Supergun on Arcade Otaku for €95.

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=27703

Comes with a proper arcade PSU.

It's still not an 'all in one' but a definite step up in the neatness department!

14211534654_a360587511_z.jpg

It's still not an 'all in one' but a definite step up in the neatness department!

95 Sterling, still looks nice and neat though. Story with the two scarts?

I saw that last night alright, but it's hard to imagine exactly what a set up would look like with an MVS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Andrew76 wrote: »
    95 Sterling, still looks nice and neat though. Story with the two scarts?

That'd be both ends of the SCART cable... :D

Master of the Universe

Hahaha, it had me really confused too :D

Yeah those superguns use a standard scart socket on them and then the other one goes to the telly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Don't forgot to add in the cost of Neogeo controllers - not cheap these days.

What crazy sorcery is this you speak of??! :pac:

Lol good spot. I thought it was some sort of double output. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Don't forgot to add in the cost of Neogeo controllers - not cheap these days.

Could you not wire it up for a different pad, say mega drive?

Wiring pinout on that link I posted earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Could you not wire it up for a different pad, say mega drive?

Wiring pinout on that link I posted earlier

You could pad hack it. But if you're capable of doing that then you should be capable of building a basic supergun. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement