Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

I'm half thinking of just buying myself a pair of Neo Geo Pad 2's and buying all the SNK/Neo Geo stuff I can get my hands on for the PS1 & 2 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I wouldn't go with anything other than the original AES controllers.

They're absolutely gorgeous and really add to the whole experience.

Sure pick up one initially and then a second down the road. Keep an eye out in the fighting game forum - someone was selling one a little while back for around €25-30.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,904 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Maybe it's because of my time playing fighting games seriously and being surrounded by seimetsu's and sanwa's but the neo geo AES sticks... well I can't stand them and I have two of them. The sticks are fine although not exactly sanwa or seimetsu quality. However the buttons are horrible on them. There's way to much give on them and you have to press them in a lot before they register. It makes most snk fighters near unplayable since many require you to press two or more buttons at the same time to carry out simple moves and snk games are much stricker on input than something from capcom. They really need sanwa buttons which you could press with a feather.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,904 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Reading famicomblog is just depressing. Sean just put up an article about one of the mandrake stores. It has 3 loose copies of Gimmick for 86 euros... and that's probably expensive for it. I wonder if Rage would match those prices?

Master of the Universe

The standard AES controller stick is actually strongly believed to be a Seimitsu stick. They're very similar in design and feel.

I know what you mean about the buttons though, they've very loose when compared to proper arcade parts. I guess it falls down to what you're using them for.

I've never really used them for fighting games. Only really got interested properly in SNK fighters when I got a proper cab. So I can see how they'd pose an issue.

However, they did me absolutely fine for Metal Slug. Almost 1cced it with one of them, so it can't be too shabby :D

They're definitely the best of the bunch. If you want better you really need to be thinking about modifying with real parts.

• Advertisement

I find it near impossible to play fighters on them but anything other than fighters they are great for. The stick is well made, I've no real issues with the stick at all. Maybe the newer versions of the sticks I'm more used to are better quality.

I'd love to be able to mod my neo geo sticks with better buttons... not sure it's possible but I also don't want to ruin those sticks, they look great.

Master of the Universe

I'd say it's just an age thing. Look at this comparison pick of the base plates between a Seimitsu stick and the AES ones.

neo-oss-baseplate.jpg

I've some older Seimitsu sticks in one of my cabs and you can feel a huge difference between them and the new LS32 I stuck in the Pony. They just get gunked up over the years. Could probably do with been given a clean.

You can mod them alright but I'd feel a bit bad about it too. You'd really have to hack into it given that the stick is molded a bit. Would be better off just building a new one with an AES pinout.

Red stick aside (which looks horrendous) it actually doesn't look too bad with the Neo Geo button colour layout.

aesstick29.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Damn. Has it really been 15 years since The Phantom Menace launched this day?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=821545

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

What's a good price to pay for a 2600 Jr? Have a chance to get one for €70 CIB, good condition.

Master of the Universe

That's way too expensive, unless the box is really factory fresh or something.

You can get them for next to nothing.

Here's one console only and it would work out a little over €20 if you got it to Parcel Motel.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atari-2600-Jr-Console-/161294647335?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item258de90027

Here's a cool modded one. It's expensive, but it has composite out. Didn't even occur to me to look into modding one of these which such a thing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTIMATE-ATARI-2600-CONSOLE-JR-VERSION-PAL-A-V-PAUSE-BUTTON-BLUE-STATUS-LED-/301179267157?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item461faee855

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »

Here's a cool modded one. It's expensive, but it has composite out. Didn't even occur to me to look into modding one of these which such a thing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTIMATE-ATARI-2600-CONSOLE-JR-VERSION-PAL-A-V-PAUSE-BUTTON-BLUE-STATUS-LED-/301179267157?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item461faee855
    POWER LED upgraded to a modern ultra bright blue LED.

Why do people put these gods damn ultra bright LEDs in consoles??!! The look completely crap and its like turning on a torch when you power them up.
    I want to know that the console is powered on, not get a bloody tan from it :)

You can get them for next to nothing.

Here's one console only and it would work out a little over €20 if you got it to Parcel Motel.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atari-2600-Jr-Console-/161294647335?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item258de90027

Hmm, both extremes there. The €20 console doesn't have any accessories/controllers, so a bit of an inconvenience. Thanks though. I have a bunch of store credit just burning a hole, and there's not a whole lot more I want in the store :(

Master of the Universe

Yeah I was just showing the extremes of what you can get ;)

There'll be loads of them I'd say listed with games and bits and bobs for less than €50.

The controllers are just DB9 ports from what I remember, so Megadrive pads will work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

For that money I'd buy the original model.
    I never liked the Jr console at all.
    For that money you'd be buying it and a Nes.

Master of the Universe

Does anyone here actually actively play a 2600 much?

There are a few games I'd play for nostalgia reasons, but I find the majority of them either far too archaic or just simply dreadful, rushed ports.

Warlords is the only thing I'd really consider bothering with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Just out of curiosity, what would a mint condition Atari 2600 6 switch woody be worth? I mean minty fresh just out of the box condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

STG.Otaku wrote: »

20120607035837_auto.gif

;)
    I'm I the only one who thinks that looks like Sparks with a blonde wig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

There are a few games I'd play for nostalgia reasons, but I find the majority of them either far too archaic or just simply dreadful, rushed ports.

Its been a very long time since I've played but I remember thinking the same. There was a whole bunch of games I really enjoyed for nostalgic reasons though as it was the first console that was truly 'mine' :v Even though they played like hell and looked terrible the feeling of playing the games again was fun. In my opinion not worth buying one to play as the nostalgia buzz was very short lived so unless I see one dirt cheap I wouldn't even look twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

eddhorse wrote: »

Omfg :eek: At the start there's a 911 Turbo, a Nissan GTR, a Lamborghini Gallardo & more importantly, a Murcielago in the garden...you just know the inside of the house has to be something special...and christ it did not disappoint!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

eddhorse wrote: »

Never heard of the chap, he an internet celeb or something? Amazing setup he has. Star of the show is that GTR sitting in the driveway. /drool

Master of the Universe

I've heard of him before, some Australian tycoon lad who's really into gaming. He has absolutely huge collections.

/Jealousy hat - sure you wouldn't appreciate all that being handed to you on a plate :pac:

Holy crap, that arcade at 2:00!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Looks kinda like Cidermans set up, wonder if he nicked the idea from him :)

Jesus Christ, That's not even real life.

On another subject, I have a 60hz, language modded Mega Drive, if I get a Power Base Converter, will those mods apply to Master System games also?

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Did that Aussie guy have a NES001?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

What's a good price to pay for a 2600 Jr? Have a chance to get one for €70 CIB, good condition.

I sold mine CIB about 3 weeks ago with 22 games, 3 of them boxed and complete, 2 joysticks, 2 paddles, all cables, console was mint, still had the plastic cover on the silver part most people would have peeled off, sold it for 120. I was surprised i got that much to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

I said THE EXACT same thing to Mr. Vestek and possibly Sera at Kaizoku Con!

We are kindered spirits my brother!
    I think it's because they were before our time and just look so incredibly limited compared to the eye candy we were spoiled with from the likes of the c64.

I mean just look at the beauty of this scene!......

LN1_ss4.gif~original

582186_218748798230950_853807382_n.jpg

Even that new Sonic style game for the atari looks garrish!
    Its amazing as a technical achievement but it still so incredibly limited.
    So far I have never had the urge to play early atari games, even on an emulator!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

And i have to say that the Last Ninja scene above looks 10 times better on a real CRT TV.

I would love to see it on a pvm!

It makes me think that in this day and age, when we have such awesomely high res displays with high PPI, that we should really have some better CRT emulation for emulators.

Instead of just having huge pixels, we could use a large group of pixels to make up one group of the red green and blue phosphors that you'd see on CRT.

Its the next step emulators need to go in, i know it still wont be as good as a real CRT display but CRT's won't be around forever so the least people could do is try to make them look as close as possible.

Imagine having selectable presets for well known displays like the Sony Trinitrons or PVMs.

That woulds save us faffing about with loads of controls trying to emulate the look.

waveform wrote: »
    And i have to say that the Last Ninja scene above looks 10 times better on a real CRT TV.

It makes me think that in this day and age, when we have such awesomely high res displays with high PPI, that we should really have some better CRT emulation for emulators.

Instead of just having huge pixels, we could use a large group of pixels to make up one group of the red green and blue phosphors that you'd see on CRT.

Its the next step emulators need to go in, i know it still wont be as good as a real CRT display but CRT's won't be around forever so the least people could do is try to make them look as close as possible.

Imagine having selectable presets for well known displays like the Sony Trinitrons or PVMs.

That woulds save us faffing about with loads of controls trying to emulate the look.

This is something we might see with VR, it could even emulate the phosphor glow and the bezel. Add in some haptic gloves, and we could even slam in cartridges :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have to agree, the 2600 gets an hour a year if it's lucky.
    That said...
    There are a couple of reasons.
    The RF hookup is one, meaning I have to shag about with RF to get it to work, and in the best case scenario I still wind up with a dreadful picture.
    The games are, in the main, awful or at least look awful, it's hard to be nostalgic about a couple of coloured squares the back of the box assures you are the only chance we have to save the earth!

However, with the addition of an AV mod and an appreciation of the finer games on the system, the likes of Defender/Stargate, Combat, Pacman 4k, Warlords, I think it is worthy.
    I must AV mod mine!

There's custom shaders for BSNES that do just that.

Master of the Universe

Danonino. wrote: »
    Its been a very long time since I've played but I remember thinking the same....
    I said THE EXACT same thing to Mr. Vestek and possibly Sera at Kaizoku Con!

We are kindered spirits my brother!
    I think it's because they were before our time and just look so incredibly limited compared to the eye candy we were spoiled with from the likes of the c64.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have to agree, the 2600 gets an hour a year if it's lucky.

Nice to know I'm not alone on this one. It's a shame as I do have great memories playing my Aunt's 2600 back in the late 80s.

I don't think it's a 'before our time' thing as I'm sure you guys like myself enjoy playing arcade classics like Donkey Kong, Defender etc.

It's more to do with most of the games just being sh1t :pac:

I like pitfall 2 on the Atari as well but that game was kind of cheating since it had a coprocessor that helped it do a lot of te heavy lifting.

Master of the Universe

Did you guys read that update about the Artcade book? Poor guy is having a really hard time at the printing stage;

I've paid a significant deposit to them and haven’t been able to get any kind of response by email, phone or Special Delivery mail (two letters remain unsigned for) in the last 5 weeks. I’ve had a contact who lives near the print factory itself drive over to take a look and he reported that there seems to be plenty of activity there, but the name on the sign is different to the company I've been dealing with. They seem to be a contract printer for small publishers. I’ll be taking a trip into London to the sales office address I have on Thursday, in the hope that I can find out what the hell is going on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

yeh just read it there, feel bad for him, a lot of stress there id say dealing with trying to sort it out for so many people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

I know pretty much how he felt. The only difference though being I had my **** in check with the printer from the start.

Making a book/zine can near kill someone. It's a LOT of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Back in my days as a graphic designer I worked on a nationwide brochure with over a half million print run. Was crazy frustrating and stressful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I have an inkjet printer at home. I'm designing my own wedding invitations.

Aherm...

....sorry I just want to feel included!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

MrVestek wrote: »
    I have an inkjet printer at home. I'm designing my own wedding invitations.

Aherm...

....sorry I just want to feel included!

I'm printing out my mass book things on the laser printer at work as we speak :)

Trying to think of the name of a game but can't for the life of me remember. It was a ps2 era game so might be on Xbox. It was a first person melee game. It used a peripheral were you attached gloves to you hands and the gloves were attached by string to pulleys on a platform on the ground. It was used to track your own fist movements and translate them into the game, quite well apparently.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I think you had a dream.

Were you drinking Skittle-Brau at the time? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Oddly enough I was chatting with Mr. Overton today. Trying to get plans in place for my book and/or Zine volume 2.

Not sure what I'm letting myself in for here. The first one near-on killed me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Trying to think of the name of a game but can't for the life of me remember. It was a ps2 era game so might be on Xbox. It was a first person melee game. It used a peripheral were you attached gloves to you hands and the gloves were attached by string to pulleys on a platform on the ground. It was used to track your own fist movements and translate them into the game, quite well apparently.

Was it Dark Wind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Retr0gamer wrote: »

That be Darkwind. It used Gametrak, the same motion sensor stuff as Real World Golf.

gametrak-dark-wind-game-ps2.jpg

Monkeykube wrote: »
    Was it Dark Wind?

That's the one. Knew I wasn't dreaming!

Master of the Universe

Looks like your kind of game alright!

384941-gametrak-dark-wind-playstation-2-screenshot-clawes.jpg

Monkeykube wrote: »
    Was it Dark Wind?

That sounds Iike a sh'art after a night of drinking Guinness to me...

The Gametrak was developed as a platform of its own, so ubiquitous was the PS2.
    They released two versions, both the same afaik aside from the casing.
    Very accurate too, I have both golf games they made and, while I don't play the stupid game so I can't personally comment on its feel, friends who tried it say it's as good as it gets.
    The game Dark Wind is similar to the Namco game of the same era Breakdown, needless to say they didn't really work. Breakdown had lots to go for it but was ruined by its USP, the damn first person perspective!

Heard a lot of people say only good things about breakdown. Heard the story is bat**** insane as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Had to laugh at this copy of Zelda on Adverts, described as excellent condition by the seller.
    http://www.adverts.ie/5532769

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement