Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Mine is a cross between a fish and a human... Narrated by Leonard Nimoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I still wonder about some peoples descriptions of the condition of an item that they may have for sale over on Adverts.

"it is a good playstation2 but if u want to make it work u have to put on a metal clip included."

:confused: Although it is nice to know he's including the metal clip in the sale:rolleyes:

Taken from this ad.
    http://www.adverts.ie/playstation/playstation2-2-games/5554251

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Oh their voiced? Mine is voiced by Mel Blanc.

Mine is voiced my eat da poopoo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I got bobcat from police academy right here!

• Advertisement

I got bobcat from police academy right here!

Surely yours is Kurt?
    I just upgraded mine to Frank Drebin.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Surely yours is Kurt?
    I just upgraded mine to Frank Drebin.

Well sometimes. I'm going to go with 3

Kurt Russell for when I'm ubercool and such

Boncat when I'm trying to teach someone something

And I'm going to go with Chris tucker for when I'm talking about something that I know a lot about and want to get as much information out as fast as I can

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Well...looks like Edgar Wright isn't gonna direct Antman after all.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/director-edgar-wright-exits-marvels-706896

And here I was hoping for a Marvel movie to be shot on film again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,274 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

'Ant Man'?

When American comic creators want to come up with a new character, do they just stick 'Man' onto the end of whatever item happens to be lying closest to them in the room at the time?

o1s1n wrote: »
    'Ant Man'?

When American comic creators want to come up with a new character, do they just stick 'Man' onto the end of whatever item happens to be lying closest to them in the room at the time?

It is a dumb sounding name. But honestly ant man is actually pretty cool. I'd read a few bits and pieces of ant man and I liked it. Only if you don't hate the whole "super" super hero stuff.

• Advertisement

I just spent an hour and a half playing arcade games.
    It was lovely!
    Donkey kong, neo turf masters, world cup 98 and a load of pinball. It was class.
    Loving the blast city atm. not a click out of the monitor either :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Weekend ruined.

Was working the polls and come home to find I missed a package and won't be able to collect it until monday.

It's either a **** load of japanese SNES games from hit-japan or else a box of goodies from my friend in the US (which includes a super rare game, less than 500 copies ever made he said and a snes holy grail).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,887 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Weekend ruined.

Was working the polls and come home to find I missed a package and won't be able to collect it until monday.

It's either a **** load of japanese SNES games from hit-japan or else a box of goodies from my friend in the US (which includes a super rare game, less than 500 copies ever made he said and a snes holy grail).

ipad-art-wide-Cleave-420x0.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Steve SI wrote: »
    ipad-art-wide-Cleave-420x0.jpg

That's pure photoshop fodder right there.
    And Steve, might want to delete your browser history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

Weekend ruined.

Awwe thats awful. I truly feel sorry for you that your weekend is ruined man.

Especially considering you only have about 1000 other games you have to play this weekend.....

:p

Oisín,
    Do you make music yourself or play instruments?

Asking you here because I Just saw the modified DMG-101 for sale and didn't want to reply to the thread or PM you in case you thought I was making an offer.

And I know how much of a let down that can be!

Interested to know if there's any tracks you've tinkered with and what style you play.

Master of the Universe

I started playing the guitar when I was about 13. 17 years later and I still can't play! Well, I can feck about with some scales and chords, but can't really do much good with any of it.

Bought that DMG-01 with the full intent of being a chiptune master touring the world, got to grips with the basics, then it too went by the wayside. Just couldn't really create anything that sounded particularly good.

We now have a fairly fancy electronic drumkit in the house which I've tried to play but sound like the Cadbury's Gorilla having a seizure. Luckily the missus owns it and she's pretty badass at playing, so it gets some use!

So to answer your question - I've tried to learn several instruments but just can't really get to a proficient level with any of them.

I think I just went with the wrong ones tbh. I seem to be better at playing instruments with buttons or keys. Used to be a mean tin whistle/recorder player in school :D Wouldn't mind trying some piano lessons actually.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you want to make digital music I recommend fl studios. Not got a breeze of music but got on alright with that.ip it's confusing but new Boston on YouTube has a great beginners tutorial.

I started playing the guitar when I was about 13. 17 years later and I still can't play! Well, I can feck about with some scales and chords, but can't really do much good with any of it.

Bought that DMG-01 with the full intent of being a chiptune master touring the world, got to grips with the basics, then it too went by the wayside. Just couldn't really create anything that sounded particularly good.

We now have a fairly fancy electronic drumkit in the house which I've tried to play but sound like the Cadbury's Gorilla having a seizure. Luckily the missus owns it and she's pretty badass at playing, so it gets some use!

So to answer your question - I've tried to learn several instruments but just can't really get to a proficient level with any of them.

I think I just went with the wrong ones tbh. I seem to be better at playing instruments with buttons or keys. Used to be a mean tin whistle/recorder player in school :D Wouldn't mind trying some piano lessons actually.

:D

Yeah man, trackers are the least user friendly sequencers ever, I think it takes a special breed of person to master them.

Dude can you load samples into that electronic drum kit?

I could rip some pretty beefy SID drum samples for you, I have ALWAYS wanted to hear live 8bit drums!

I actually have an Alesis performance pad myself but looking to trade it for a Control Pad, so I can change the note and channel numberif each drum pad.

I'd use the Yamaha RS7000 as the sound module then, and as the sequencer. Its a serious bit of kit!

Didn't know you had such an impressive musical background until recently, I would have killed for a father like yours!

Master of the Universe

If you want to make digital music I recommend fl studios. Not got a breeze of music but got on alright with that.ip it's confusing but new Boston on YouTube has a great beginners tutorial.

Yeah I've used that a lot over the years. Great tool! I first tried to learn to use Reason but gave up on that and Fruity Loops was exactly the kind of thing I needed.
    waveform wrote: »

Dude can you load samples into that electronic drum kit?

I could rip some pretty beefy SID drum samples for you, I have ALWAYS wanted to hear live 8bit drums!

I actually have an Alesis performance pad myself but looking to trade it for a Control Pad, so I can change the note and channel numberif each drum pad.

I'd use the Yamaha RS7000 as the sound module then, and as the sequencer. Its a serious bit of kit!

That 8 bit drum sample idea is brilliant! It's an Alesis kit and I think you can load your own samples. Would love to give that a go.
    waveform wrote: »
    Didn't know you had such an impressive musical background until recently, I would have killed for a father like yours!

I think you may be confusing me with someone else! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

STG:Otaku is currently making some music at home, well worth PM'ing him maybe?
    It's inappropriate to start a thread here, and I'm not sure if he's active on the music fora, but it could be worth a shot, he seems quite forthcoming on these types of topics, very helpful.

Yeah I've used that a lot over the years. Great tool! I first tried to learn to use Reason but gave up on that and Fruity Loops was exactly the kind of thing I needed.

That 8 bit drum sample idea is brilliant! It's an Alesis kit and I think you can load your own samples. Would love to give that a go.

I think you may be confusing me with someone else! :eek:

Its impressive to me because my parents were always musically retarded, with the exception of listening to the Beatles and stones back in the day.

When I first asked my father about pink Floyd a few years back his reply was:
    "They were weird, they had all these lights at shows and were into drugs" in a negative tone. :(

I'd love if my father was into prog rock!

And at least you've learned instruments and know a bit about scales, that's more than enough to write electronic music...

:D

Master of the Universe

Ah right! Yeah I have young parents who brought me up listening to a lot of classic rock. I thought that was perfectly normal as a kid. Until I started asking the other kids in primary school if they liked things like ELP and Rush. :eek:

Been going to concerts with them for 20 years. Off over to London with them in July to see Black Sabbath in Hyde Park :)

I was brought up on Blondie, The Ramones and all that shiote from my mother and Motown and ballady stuff from the other side.
    Guess that's why I like Neil Young.

Master of the Universe

I absolutely love Neil Young's album Trans. He should have done more electronic stuff in his time.

Unfortunately my parents had no taste in music at all.
    As a result I had to find my own way.
    So that led to Jean Michel Jarre, Kraftwerk and Art of Noise in the eighties.
    The dance music in the late 80's and forever after.
    Lots of rap in the 90s as well.
    Good times.
    Of course, I was the only person I knew into that stuff, so it was a lonely musical life for me :(

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Unfortunately my parents had no taste in music at all.
    As a result I had to find my own way.
    So that led to Jean Michel Jarre, Kraftwerk and Art of Noise in the eighties.
    The dance music in the late 80's and forever after.
    Lots of rap in the 90s as well.
    Good times.
    Of course, I was the only person I knew into that stuff, so it was a lonely musical life for me :(

This is pretty much just like it was for me growing up.

I was very quite upto the age of 16 (hard to believe now I know!) , so only had a few close friends, and in my late teens, i was getting into djing but i was the only one out of my group of friends into it.

I guess i had the internet though so that accelerating my musical exploration a lot so im lucky I had that at the time i guess.

I'm the only one in the family with an interest in making music, or to even use an instrument.

But i can barely play simple melodies on the keyboard with only one hand, and have no clue about scales, eq, mastering.

I really need to get on top of that, but gaming can get in the way as its easier and its more appealing when i'm lazy.

I absolutely love Neil Young's album Trans. He should have done more electronic stuff in his time.

Yep, kinda like that Album as well and I'm fond of the artwork too. It is a pity he didn't experiment with it in later albums but it wasn't a
    Over album, so you can see why he refrained.
    But maybe just a tinge of it in later albums would have been nice.
    I always liked the ragged sound of him with crazy horse and not so much his acoustic stuff.
    Cocaine Eyes and Sedan delivery being personal favourites, oh and Dirty Old Man(an ode to ciderman :P)

Can someone please talk me out of pre-ordering the Analogue Nt NES. Give me a reason that my brain will understand to not want it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Is that the $500 NES by the guys who make the consolised MVS systems?

Master of the Universe

For the price, the design isn't really that interesting. That kind of coinage could be spent on something far more interesting!

Is that the $500 NES by the guys who make the consolised MVS systems?

Your talking just over 400 euro with an RGB Scart cable and delivery.
    For the price, the design isn't really that interesting. That kind of coinage could be spent on something far more interesting!

Yes It's a good chunk of change. But it'd be something different for me to have. I got the walnut mvs from them a couple years ago. They do great work, but the certainly make you pay for it.

Master of the Universe

What I like about the MVS one is they retain the AES look of the system. (while also doing something great in creating a consolized MVS) So it looks like a high grade AES.

With this one though... nice to have a NES doing RGB, but the design is just bland. It reminds me of a Retron. So it looks more like a clone than a fancy upgrade to the console if you get me?

What I like about the MVS one is they retain the AES look of the system. (while also doing something great in creating a consolized MVS) So it looks like a high grade AES.

With this one though... nice to have a NES doing RGB, but the design is just bland. It reminds me of a Retron. So it looks more like a clone than a fancy upgrade to the console if you get me?

Yeah I get what you're saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

You know, if you break it down, the Analogue NT isn't horribly priced.

You're getting an RGB modded NES, RGB modded Famicom, NES Multitap, all in one unit. That machined piece of aluminium can't be cheap either. Sure, it's a lot of money for a "NES", but if you're really into that system, I'd consider it a no-brainer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

You know, if you break it down, the Analogue NT isn't horribly priced.

You're getting an RGB modded NES, RGB modded Famicom, NES Multitap, all in one unit. That machined piece of aluminium can't be cheap either. Sure, it's a lot of money for a "NES", but if you're really into that system, I'd consider it a no-brainer.

How much would each of those systems be separately modded ... just out of curiosity?

I think I may have experienced my first time having a reseller on adverts rivalling an offer i made...

Now i feel the pain you guys go through! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Think my PS3 has given up the ghost.

No yellow light but refusing to output video.

Master of the Universe

Hygro wrote: »
    How much would each of those systems be separately modded ... just out of curiosity?

RGB modded NES is a bit of a difficult one. You'll either need to;

Get your hands on a PPU from a Nintendo Playchoice arcade board (it outputs RGB) and do some modding wizardry to put it in a NES.

Or get one of those NESRGB boards and mod it into your console

Or buy a NES Titler. A NES which natively outputs RGB (still needs a minor mod though) and costs about a grand!

Suddenly this fancy machined aluminium yolk is starting to look more attractive :D

I just use a modded Famicom which does composite out. It works (miles better than RF) but yeah, I still long for RGB out of it.

You know, I'm not exactly a retro-videophile snob. Is there a major difference between composite and RGB?

• Advertisement

DinoRex wrote: »

Sounds like the video card has gone kaput which is usually the main cause of failure.

Master of the Universe

You know, I'm not exactly a retro-videophile snob. Is there a major difference between composite and RGB?

Yeah, once you go RGB it's hard to go back to composite.

RGB is a pixel perfect, super clear picture. The colours are bright and vivid, the edges all sharp.

Composite has colour bleeding, interference, dot crawl - it's not very pleasant. Dot crawl actually kind of hurts my eyes now after getting used to RGB.

Here's a great example of what dot crawl looks like

300px-Crawl.jpg

Here's a great website. All the pictures are in RGB. Move your mouse over them and they'll turn to composite.

http://www.chrismcovell.com/gotRGB/rgb_compare.html

Holy Jesus, those differences are night and day. Glad I ordered an RGB Scart for my Mega Drive now :P

DinoRex wrote: »

What video output are you using, hdmi?

Definitely worth trying it with a different cable like a composite one just to see if its not outputting any kind of video output.

In case the hdmi cable is faulty or whatever.

I bought a composite cable for this purpose in deals for a quid, and its a really solid thick cable for the price.

I also bought it just in case my cousin brings up his ps3 and the flatscreen is in use.

RGB modded NES is a bit of a difficult one. You'll either need to;

Get your hands on a PPU from a Nintendo Playchoice arcade board (it outputs RGB) and do some modding wizardry to put it in a NES.

Or get one of those NESRGB boards and mod it into your console

Or buy a NES Titler. A NES which natively outputs RGB (still needs a minor mod though) and costs about a grand!

Suddenly this fancy machined aluminium yolk is starting to look more attractive :D

I just use a modded Famicom which does composite out. It works (miles better than RF) but yeah, I still long for RGB out of it.

The price isnt bad when you add everything up. I mean that block of aluminium is gonna cost a good chunk anyway. But, they really piss me off with the prices of the cables and pads.

Edit:

Steve SI wrote: »
    The price isnt bad when you add everything up. I mean that block of aluminium is gonna cost a good chunk anyway. But, they really piss me off with the prices of the cables and pads.

Edit:

$50 for a brand new NES controller doesn't sound too unreasonable?

But yeah, I guess they're playing up to the Apple way of doing things, charging €30 for a USB cable.

Yeah, once you go RGB it's hard to go back to composite.

RGB is a pixel perfect, super clear picture. The colours are bright and vivid, the edges all sharp.

Composite has colour bleeding, interference, dot crawl - it's not very pleasant. Dot crawl actually kind of hurts my eyes now after getting used to RGB.

Here's a great example of what dot crawl looks like

300px-Crawl.jpg

Here's a great website. All the pictures are in RGB. Move your mouse over them and they'll turn to composite.

http://www.chrismcovell.com/gotRGB/rgb_compare.html

Right I'm going to copy some of that post and put it in a reply to the arcade and consoles resource thread.

Re busted PS3,i suppose once you have saved to the cloud you can reinstate a replacement PS3 with your stuff.
    Although and music and video stored there is gone for good, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Re busted PS3,i suppose once you have saved to the cloud you can reinstate a replacement PS3 with your stuff.
    Although and music and video stored there is gone for good, isn't it?

Ya I think its only saves & trophies are copied online with your PSN+ account. Unless you have a recent backup saved to USB movies, music, gamedata etc is gone.

Can you just move the harddrive to the replacement PS3 I wonder ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Can you just move the harddrive to the replacement PS3 I wonder ?

The hdd gets paired to the system once installed via a format. So you can't swap drives over without having to format afaik

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement