Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

dispatched. come on parcel motel dont let me down tonight!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,908 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Even if I bought bought systems second hand and have no proof they are mine?

They'll probably ask you a load of security questions but you should be fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Honestly, I don't think there I much chance of MK8 selling out, unless it's the limited edition you are talking about.
    Gamestop are telling me it's quiet, with derivative stuff like Watchdogs attracting the money.
    Though I suppose MK8 is derivative of MK7!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't think there I much chance of MK8 selling out, unless it's the limited edition you are talking about.
    Gamestop are telling me it's quiet, with derivative stuff like Watchdogs attracting the money.
    Though I suppose MK8 is derivative of MK7!

Most shops seem to have completely written of the Wii U at this stage in Ireland. There's a very good chance stock levels will be low.

Just noticed that Dragon Quest 8 is out for iOS and Android. Tempted to pick that up as I never completed it on the PS2 and prospect of being able to play on the toilet is appealing to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,908 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

DinoRex wrote: »
    Just noticed that Dragon Quest 8 is out for iOS and Android. Tempted to pick that up as I never completed it on the PS2 and prospect of being able to play on the toilet is appealing to me.

It's a weird port, apparently they rewrote the whole game from scratch in Unity. Supposed to be rather good though. I really loved that game. Such a pity that Square Enix have so little faith in the series in the West they didn't bother publishing the last few games and now even Nintendo won't publish them.

• Advertisement

hmmm... looks like there's no voice acting and the orchestral music is gone... may just go back to my PS2 copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Well I was hoping to pick up the special edition as Smyths are doing a really good price on it. Apparently all of their stock has been pre-ordered though. If I have to settle for the standard edition of the game I will.

The collectors edition is probably a bad idea for me. I'm not sure I'll be able to resist slamming the blue shell into peoples faces when I have guests visiting.

hmmm... looks like there's no voice acting and the orchestral music is gone... may just go back to my PS2 copy.

Must be based on the Japanese release. The voice acting and orchestral music was only added for the western release. Pity, I loved both those things from the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Speaking of Dragon Quest, VI on the DS is €3 in Tescos if anyone is interested. No idea if it's any good though?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Speaking of Dragon Quest, VI on the DS is €3 in Tescos if anyone is interested. No idea if it's any good though?

WANT! :eek:

It's pretty damn great (not as good as 5 though).

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's pretty damn great (not as good as 5 though).

Nice. Still no Ocarina 3D for a fiver though, if anyone spots one of them give me a shout please. :)

Which Tesco? Haven't checked Clare Hall since Sunday, but it was pretty dry then.

Which Tesco? Haven't checked Clare Hall since Sunday, but it was pretty dry then.

Arklow, maybe too far away for most of the folks on here (probably a good thing :pac:). There were several copies there anyway, only nabbed one myself.

Don't suppose there's any Ocarina's for the 3DS left in anyone's local Tescos? Price tag said €5 down here but none on the shelf, probably hoovered up and lumped on the bay. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Arklow, maybe too far away for most of the folks on here (probably a good thing :pac:). There were several copies there anyway, only nabbed one myself.

Don't suppose there's any Ocarina's for the 3DS left in anyone's local Tescos? Price tag said €5 down here but none on the shelf, probably hoovered up and lumped on the bay. :(

First thing I've been doing is finding the price check scanner and going through the stock that interests.
    I will be picking up MK8 tomorrow morning so I'll be calling in again to Tesco to see if there's any goodies I missed!
    I'm dying to ask about any hardware but have chickened out each time!

Got 2 copies of Lego Batman 2 (LE) for 3DS in Clarehall on Saturday for €3 each. Wasn't much else in there though.

First thing I've been doing is finding the price check scanner and going through the stock that interests.
    I will be picking up MK8 tomorrow morning so I'll be calling in again to Tesco to see if there's any goodies I missed!

Yeah I was debating whether to ask if they had more 3DS games in the back and if/when they might make an appearance.

Picked up one of those PlayTV things for the PS3 for €10. Had heard I can hook it up to the PC and stream to a tablet maybe.

If you want 50 copies of Happy Feet for the PS2 then you're in luck at Clare Hall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Got 2 copies of Lego Batman 2 (LE) for 3DS in Clarehall on Saturday for €3 each. Wasn't much else in there though.

Offer asking. :D

• Advertisement

OwaynOTT has dibs! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

So yeah, got my Mega Drive today, it has a 60hz switch, but I've noticed when I boot it sometimes, it has frame rate issues, like an animation might only show every third frame. Any ideas?

I was thinking it might be the power supply (genuine Sony) but it's only happening sporadically, so I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,888 ✭✭✭Steve X2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Don't, you'll be disappointed. I tried a local one recently , before I picked up a cheap 3ds, and the lady raised my hopes and quite quickly dashed them.
    'No we don't do DS.'
    'What about in the open stock room right beside you there where I can see other hardware?'
    'Oh yes, let me check. What colour so you want?'
    'What do you have.'
    'Purple, black and red.'
    'Ome of each please.' But wait, there is no purple 3ds.
    Lady brings them out and puts them on the counter.
    They are DSi. Seething inside but ask a question while still clinging to some slim hope of cheap nintendo hardware.
    'Hiw much?'
    '€189'
    'No thanks'

She knew what she was doing.
    STG.Otaku wrote: »
    OwaynOTT has dibs! :P

I've nothing of interest to trade to a retro sultan like you though STG. Unless you like cash? Wait more appropriate for pm.

There is a purple 3DS!
    Just not in Europe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,765 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Nintendo have announced there's a Gamecube controller adapter coming for Wii-U, or Smash Bros at least. Sorry Gamepad, DS4 and Xbox One controller: the next gen controller king has arrived :pac:

Nintendo have announced there's a Gamecube controller adapter coming for Wii-U, or Smash Bros at least. Sorry Gamepad, DS4 and Xbox One controller: the next gen controller king has arrived :pac:

You're not trolling are you? If not that's great news and another plus point to picking a Wii-U up later this year. GC controller easily the best ever made.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,765 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You're not trolling are you? If not that's great news and another plus point to picking a Wii-U up later this year. GC controller easily the best ever made.

No trolling, from the horse's mouth! https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/472076848382607361

Playing through Xenoblade at the moment with the Classic Controller Plus and it's just a pitiful step back from the borderline perfection of the GC effort. I don't know why they don't release a straight copy of it that plugs into Wiimotes (still an odd way to use separate controllers, granted) - seems like a no-brainer, but then no-brainers don't seem to be Nintendo's forte at the moment! Hopefully this announcement means something of the sort is coming for the Wii U.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,066 ✭✭✭Doge

What do the collectors on here think of the PS3 blu ray cases games come in?

Was looking at them properly for the first time yesterday, and I instantly thought they were a bit cheap looking in comparison to PS2 or PS1 games.

I think its to do with the transparent bit going across the top, and the cover itself looks a bit thin.

On the upside though the Blu Ray discs seem far less prone to visible scratches compared to dvds, or at least thats what the lad in CeX was telling me.

The 2 game discs i bought yesterday for 4 quid each were immaculate.

• Advertisement

Why didn't they just make a wireless controller?

It also looks like they have plans to re-release Gamecube controllers? Smash Bros. branded ones? I wonder if this also means GC on the VC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Exactly. Why not just re-release the wave bird with the receiver built into the console or Bluetooth and have the controller rechargeable.

waveform wrote: »
    What do the collectors on here think of the PS3 blu ray cases games come in?

Was looking at them properly for the first time yesterday, and I instantly thought they were a bit cheap looking in comparison to PS2 or PS1 games.

I think its to do with the transparent bit going across the top, and the cover itself looks a bit thin.

On the upside though the Blu Ray discs seem far less prone to visible scratches compared to dvds, or at least thats what the lad in CeX was telling me.

The 2 game discs i bought yesterday for 4 quid each were immaculate.

Bluray disks are actually coated in a scratch resistant and anti-static polymer. I think there's some videos online of people doing key tests on Blurays and they're pretty resilient.

I guess the GC controller is cheap to make, so it's cost effective.
    I can't see it taking off in Europe, sadly the interest just isn't there.
    Had the WiiU had a better and bigger fanbase then perhaps but with the few who bought it only a proportion will buy Smash Bros and only a fraction of them will buy such as adaptor.
    Perhaps it had more to do with Nintendo and their possible E-Sports ambitions, such as the YouTube posting of MK8 races and, surely, Smash Bros matches, most competitive players will want a wired controller, no?

I guess the GC controller is cheap to make, so it's cost effective.
    I can't see it taking off in Europe, sadly the interest just isn't there.
    Had the WiiU had a better and bigger fanbase then perhaps but with the few who bought it only a proportion will buy Smash Bros and only a fraction of them will buy such as adaptor.
    Perhaps it had more to do with Nintendo and their possible E-Sports ambitions, such as the YouTube posting of MK8 races and, surely, Smash Bros matches, most competitive players will want a wired controller, no?

Yeah, I can see this adapter becoming *the* rare accessory for the system, much like the broadband adapter for the Dreamcast or Gamecube.

I should get a Wii U, but the rate the UK retail are clearing stock, either Nintendo are planning a radical new SKU, or they just don't care about the system. The latter is more likely, but I'd hate to buy one now for MK8 and have a new one (improved gamepad, more system memory, price drop etc.) announced at E3 in a few weeks..

Reorganized my TV setup today, pretty happy with the outcome:

http://imgur.com/a/buft0

Pretty much zero room for more consoles sadly :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,888 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Got one of those novelty cheapo lens kits for my iPhone from Amazon the other day. Decided to have a closer look at monitor on the Egret 3.
    Loads of distortion from the cheap lens around the outside but the inside is clear enough. I thought I'd see little fairies and creatures making the magic, but just these coloured things :0/

IMG_6422sml.png

Macro lens works better for vids because of the crop factor.

Might see what retro bits i can jam my iPhone in for some extreme closeups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Yeah they hired staff back in April. Going in beside the dunnes entrance. I'll finally be able to get a load of tesco games to trade in in cex.

Is it me or is Mario Kart Wii just brutal with item hit combinations chains in 150cc.
    Also I just realised today that the GC controller could be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I don't have any fancy expensive retro equipment like other enthusiasts on here, hate to displease you but I'm just not as bothered about authentic hardware and find it to be clutter! So I'm using ZSNES with the NTSC filter and even have a 15.625khz tone playing to complete the atmosphere! As authentic as it gets without me having to dig out my SNES and cables etc!

For those who can't wait

An interesting thing, but there already is GC to WiiU adapter available.
    And it's not too expensive, though you'll need one per player.
    Basically this will make the WiiU think the GC controller is a Pro pad.
    I'm not sure if this might generate lag either.
    Might be worth picking up if the official adapter turns out to be rare and expensive.

It's on EBay as well, shipping from HK, €12.50 posted.
    Might be worth buying two, just to see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

For those who can't wait

An interesting thing, but there already is GC to WiiU adapter available.
    And it's not too expensive, though you'll need one per player.
    Basically this will make the WiiU think the GC controller is a Pro pad.
    I'm not sure if this might generate lag either.
    Might be worth picking up if the official adapter turns out to be rare and expensive.

It's on EBay as well, shipping from HK, €12.50 posted.
    Might be worth buying two, just to see!

i have the likes of these for ps2 to 360 so i can use my ps1 arcade stick on 360. No lag works grand. I also had them for wii before i sold it. I think i got them on dealextreme. Nice cheap option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,275 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Any of you lads know a good place to get something big framed? (in this case 150X100cm!)

iTKaBLWQturn8.gif

o1s1n wrote: »
    Any of you lads know a good place to get something big framed? (in this case 150X100cm!)

There's a shop on Liffey Street in Dublin who appear to do pretty large items. Is this the Castlevania poster? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Decided to do a 60 minute loop of the Crateria rain in Super Metroid because...why not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,275 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There's a shop on Liffey Street in Dublin who appear to do pretty large items. Is this the Castlevania poster? :P

Oh really? Thanks, will check them out!

It's for another poster that's about 3 times bigger than the Castlevania one :eek:

o1s1n wrote: »
    Oh really? Thanks, will check them out!

It's for another poster that's about 3 times bigger than the Castlevania one :eek:

They're not cheap. But they have a larger selection of frame sizes that most places. Got a frame for my Adventure Time poster there which was a dumb american poster size.

Check the Ikea website for the size you need first though. They're probably cheaper.

They're not cheap. But they have a larger selection of frame sizes that most places. Got a frame for my Adventure Time poster there which was a dumb american poster size.

Check the Ikea website for the size you need first though. They're probably cheaper.

I believe they do make frames in there too, custom sizes, so there shouldn't be an issue.

Check out this vid for the big labowski pinball,
    Looks like its going to be something special!
    now,wheres my credit card.....................

http://www.youtube.com/embed/iz24GSKU6JA?autoplay=1&rel=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Cydoniac wrote: »

Decided to do a 60 minute loop of the Crateria rain in Super Metroid because...why not...

Easier to upload the sound file to 'The Infinite Jukebox' and have it do the looping :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement