Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

I got my frames made at www.framingmarvellous.ie for a great price and the service was excellent. Trusted them with my signed Shooting Love poster and business card without knowing anything about them. Well worth giving them a call for a quote. If you want a precious item framed properly, prepare to pay a bit for it though. Lots of options to consider aside from the type of wood. UV glass, sealing etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I'm thinking about picking up a Retro-Bit VGA Box for the Dreamcast. Does anyone here have any experience with them? Reviews of it seem to be quite mixed and I was just wondering if they generally work well.

I have been using RF (that's what came with it and it was convenient at the time), but it won't work on either of my newer TVs. Tried tuning it in on my 32" Toshiba and all I got was Saorview ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Our own Jack Burton is selling one

Yeah, just saw that last night. I think it's gone now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

parcel motel text.. waheeeeey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭Steve X2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,765 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A friend of mine was given a bootleg Gameboy cart recently. If the fact that it contained 100 games wasn't enough to raise suspicions (which of course it was), this did the trick:

1zecphi.jpg

Oh those wacky Japamese pranksters!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Steve SI wrote: »

Aww hell no!
    He was brilliant!
    I was so disappointed when I found he was cut from the PS and Saturn port of NfS.
    Damn.
    I will play the game now in his honour and in his words try not to suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

HUZZAH! The CeX opened today and I went there!
    A friend of mine was given a bootleg Gameboy cart recently. If the fact that it contained 100 games wasn't enough to raise suspicions (which of course it was), this did the trick:

Oh those wacky Japamese pranksters!
    Heh. My parents got me one of those when I was a kid. Contained Contra: The Alien Wars, so it wasn't all bad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Saw The Congress via means I don't care to mention in polite company.
    Wow.
    That is an odd movie.
    Looks good and makes sense but I may have gone cross eyed at one stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I got 2 18x24 prints framed a while ago and they cost me 59 quid each. They were pieces that were really limited, 10 made, so I didn't mind paying.

I got some more frames in IKEA, big ones. No glass in them but if its going into somplace the sunlight wont hit it I'm sure your grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Rather then start a new thread I thought I'd post in here, if that's ok.

I've been mulling over buying a SNES for the last year or so. Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

I saw this while perusing today - http://www.lukiegames.com/Retro-Duo-Red-Black-System.html

A NES/SNES combo.

Has anyone ever bought from this site?

Anyone buy ever buy one of these?

It's about $80 dollars total. Is that a good price or are their better sites to shop from?

Will PAL games work on it?

Will this work on a HD TV okay?

Sorry the noob questions. The last time I played a SNES was probably back in 1997 so I'm new to this retro gaming (Must be a paradox?) Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,276 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Waste of money!

For that price you'll get a real Snes. Get an RGB scart cable too and away you go. No need to get clone knock offs when the real deal is the same price.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Waste of money!

For that price you'll get a real Snes. Get an RGB scart cable too and away you go. No need to get clone knock offs when the real deal is the same price.

Damn, really? I checked ebay and adverts and they're all like €70-90 or like €40-50 without a controller or lead.

Where would the best play to buy be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Keno wrote: »
    Damn, really? I checked ebay and adverts and they're all like €70-90 or like €40-50 without a controller or lead.

Where would the best play to buy be?

Keep browsing both of does and one will come up for a good price with a nice selection of games. Or try the trading section on here.

• Advertisement

I must say the RGB modded 3DO FZ1 looks pretty darn nice on that little 9" PVM I got.
    Just tried it tonight and it looks great, cant wait to see how she looks on the 20" BVM :)

Rather then start a new thread I thought I'd post in here, if that's ok.

I've been mulling over buying a SNES for the last year or so. Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

I saw this while perusing today - http://www.lukiegames.com/Retro-Duo-Red-Black-System.html

A NES/SNES combo.

Has anyone ever bought from this site?

Anyone buy ever buy one of these?

It's about $80 dollars total. Is that a good price or are their better sites to shop from?

Will PAL games work on it?

Will this work on a HD TV okay?

Sorry the noob questions. The last time I played a SNES was probably back in 1997 so I'm new to this retro gaming (Must be a paradox?) Thanks in advance.

I'd buy a real Snes to start with.
    It'll save you doing it in a couple of months anyway.
    The Retron devices are typical clones in that they will play everything but there'll be compromises that'll just disappoint you.
    Save yourself the grief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a vectrex multicart? There was a dude on atariage selling them but hasn't replied to my pm's for nearly a month

• Advertisement

Los Lobos wrote: »
    Can anyone point me in the right direction for a vectrex multicart? There was a dude on atariage selling them but hasn't replied to my pm's for nearly a month

The only person you need to talk to is the god amongst men, Richard Hutchinson.
    He makes and sells the Vecmulti and it's the only cart you need.
    However...
    His site seems to be down!
    I'll PM you his email, so you can ask directly, he had them in stock a few months ago.

Monkeykube wrote: »

Do your research before you put stuff up for sale, simple as

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Do your research before you put stuff up for sale, simple as

That only cuts the chances of getting a bargin though:P
    http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/castlevania-harmony-of-dissonance-gameboy-advance/5619425

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Live in Toronto now and found a cool retro game shop, loads of stuff there, and yes right behind the till in a case they had Battletoads :pac:

Monkeykube wrote: »

Damn you MK, nice get though!

Well its a good deal for you and the seller got what is was worth to him. Everyone's happy

krudler wrote: »
    Live in Toronto now and found a cool retro game shop, loads of stuff there, and yes right behind the till in a case they had Battletoads :pac:

They one that was near me in calgary was just a disappointment. So,e nice games but wickedly over priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Not retro related but I got Pikmin 3 for free in the MK8 free game giveaway.
    What an amazing little gem, I got up today especially early to blast away at it.
    the detail is fantastic, looks and plays fantastically ... Go Nintendo!! thats why the big N rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,910 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

pdbhp wrote: »
    Not retro related but I got Pikmin 3 for free in the MK8 free game giveaway.
    What an amazing little gem, I got up today especially early to blast away at it.
    the detail is fantastic, looks and plays fantastically ... Go Nintendo!! thats why the big N rules.

It was pretty much a contender for game of the year last year. I'd but it ahead of last of us and have it up there with 3d world and metal gear revengeance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It was pretty much a contender for game of the year last year. I'd but it ahead of last of us and have it up there with 3d world and metal gear revengeance.

I think it's the ease of play in the game, the controls are just that tight which is to be expected from a Nintedo game.
    I am totally loving it so far, the different Pikmin to control and the whole look and style of it is amazing, best free game ever.

Anyone else watching Game of Thrones? I wont spoil it but...

Just watched the last episode all I could think of was Mortal Kombat for the whole last scene!

Speaking of which, just saw this on

Mortal Kombat X trailer

Anyone else watching Game of Thrones? I wont spoil it but...

Just watched the last episode all I could think of was Mortal Kombat for the whole last scene!

Mortal Kombat X trailer

haha, yeah I watched it and was thinking something along the same lines :D

On another note, I watched the Apple developer conference thingy today. I'd say we will see an even bigger crap ton of "retro" type games hitting the app store over the next year(or at least when the tools are released).
    They are making it idiot proof to get basic 2D game up and running. And we really don't need any more idiots pushing what they consider "retro" style in our faces, a few get the style right, most do not :(

Does anyone know why Wolverine Adamantium Rage on the SNES has shot up in price?

I see it has went for on two separate occasions in the past two months for over €150, where it would have went for around half that or less before Christmas.
    It's a fairly crap game and I thought easy enough too grab a hold of a good condition one as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,276 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Well this is a new one.

I won a Zombies Ate my Neighbours CIB game earlier today on ebay. Sent the payment through instantly.

Just got an email from the seller asking me to send him the payment via paypal gift instead (with an email address included) - checked my paypal and my payment was refunded.

The cheek! So he expects me to pay to send him money, off ebay? He can go sh1te!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Steve SI wrote: »
    haha, yeah I watched it and was thinking something along the same lines :D

On another note, I watched the Apple developer conference thingy today. I'd say we will see an even bigger crap ton of "retro" type games hitting the app store over the next year(or at least when the tools are released).
    They are making it idiot proof to get basic 2D game up and running. And we really don't need any more idiots pushing what they consider "retro" style in our faces, a few get the style right, most do not :(

Thank fcuk I don't own any Apple devices so! :pac:
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Well this is a new one.

I won a Zombies Ate my Neighbours CIB game earlier today on ebay. Sent the payment through instantly.

Just got an email from the seller asking me to send him the payment via paypal gift instead (with an email address included) - checked my paypal and my payment was refunded.

The cheek! So he expects me to pay to send him money, off ebay? He can go sh1te!

Sure you have no protection using gift aswell I thought?

So I've been doing a ton of looking on Ebay and Adverts since my last post here about getting a SNES.

The biggest thing I've noticed is the massively inflated prices of some of the games. Super Metroid is going for about €60! I've never played a Zelda game (I know, I know) but I want to get LTTP but it's so inflated too!

Am I better off getting an NTSC SNES as opposed to the PAL one as the games are a lot cheaper for them?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Thank fcuk I don't own any Apple devices so! :

It'll effect peasant phones and tablets as well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Am I better off getting an NTSC SNES as opposed to the PAL one as the games are a lot cheaper for them?

Yes. Aside from the economic benefit, you can play them as there were intended instead of the concessions made for their PAL equivalents.

• Advertisement

So I went into the leisure plex in Cork on Saturday,
    It was right beside where I was staying.
    If your into drivers this is the place to go!
    At least 10 twin drivers and a few twin shooters.
    not much there that interested me tho.
    I was on a stag so ended up with some other forms of adult entertainment............if you know what I mean!

Adult entertainment!
    Got you ;)
    So, House of the Dead it is!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Adult entertainment!
    Got you ;)
    So, House of the Dead it is!

It was more like dead or alive volleyball :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Adult entertainment?

Photos or it didnt happen.

Found the video of this adult fun

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Yes. Aside from the economic benefit, you can play them as there were intended instead of the concessions made for their PAL equivalents.

Have you imported one? Any idea on the import duty I'll be hit on one?

Where would I get a plug for one? Or can I use a plug adaptor on one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

I have been emailing Richard Hutchinson as per Ciderdude's advice, and Richard only has Vecflash carts for sale at the mo, no Vecmulti's. So you can add and remove games yourself.

Anyone got one of these? Worth going for? Cheers!

Los Lobos wrote: »
    I have been emailing Richard Hutchinson as per Ciderdude's advice, and Richard only has Vecflash carts for sale at the mo, no Vecmulti's. So you can add and remove games yourself.

Anyone got one of these? Worth going for? Cheers!

The USB Vecflash units are well worth having.
    Installing games involves flashing via USB rather than just popped onto a SD card, but it's all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Doge

Mortal Kombat X trailer

Reminded me of this! :D

Btw nothing grinds my gears more than when Publishers put some ****ty Rapper over a trailer for a game that doesn't suit it at all.

COD is very guilty of this.

Where would I get a plug for one? Or can I use a plug adaptor on one?

So I've come to find this is a very bad idea that will fry your console!

I need a Stepdown Transformer or funilly enough, a Sega Master System power supply will work with it supposedly.

Will the one below work, does anyone know?

http://www.dayga.co.uk/US-to-UK-Stepdown-Transformers/UK-to-US-Stepdown-Voltage-Converter-45-watt

waveform wrote: »
    Reminded me of this! :D

Btw nothing grinds my gears more than when Publishers put some ****ty Rapper over a trailer for a game that doesn't suit it at all.

COD is very guilty of this.

Hahaha

I actually really liked the trailer. Bit different but I just liked it, better than that ****ing techno song played for the millionth time and definitly better than Adema ( Because that style of music didnt age at all :P )

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement