Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Sin and Punishment is another good reason to own a ntsc n64, it's that good. Pick up the sequel on the wii if you haven't already. Given the price of the wii version it's a must have, you may even find it cheaper if you look around.
    http://www.play.com/Games/Wii/4-/12510151/Sin-And-Punishment-Successor-Of-The-Skies/Product.html?searchstring=sin+and+punishment&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I just watched the Nintendo Direct E3 presentation and, biased as I have been accused, I thought it was the best of the show.
    I was just a bit disappointed at the sight of "2015" at the end of some of the pieces but never mind.
    I have to say, assuming the new Zelda game is in game visuals, it looks simply breathtaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have to say, assuming the new Zelda game is in game visuals, it looks simply breathtaking.

They're not in game, but are in-engine. Not exactly the same thing, but better than a pure CG rendering I suppose. http://kotaku.com/nintendo-that-amazing-zelda-footage-was-in-engine-1588740315?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Myrddin wrote: »
    They're not in game, but are in-engine. Not exactly the same thing, but better than a pure CG rendering I suppose. http://kotaku.com/nintendo-that-amazing-zelda-footage-was-in-engine-1588740315?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

But in-engine means what you see in the trailer is what you will see playing the game no? Rendered using the game engine means it's representative of how the gameplay will look? Or that's how I understand it anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, could it turn out to be The Legend of Zelda with a side order of Skyrim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,276 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    But in-engine means what you see in the trailer is what you will see playing the game no? Rendered using the game engine means it's representative of how the gameplay will look? Or that's how I understand it anyway.

Yeah that's what it means alright. If it was 'pre rendered' then it's not representative of gameplay. However 'In Engine' means that's the game's engine running, so what the game looks like.

I asked if it was pre-rendered. No, they said. It's in-engine. It's not a gameplay angle, for the most part, but what you saw is coming from Wii U-level hardware, it seems.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yeah that's what it means alright. If it was 'pre rendered' then it's not representative of gameplay. However 'In Engine' means that's the game's engine running, so what the game looks like.

I asked if it was pre-rendered. No, they said. It's in-engine. It's not a gameplay angle, for the most part, but what you saw is coming from Wii U-level hardware, it seems.

You're both prob right, I'm not that well up on this side of things....but...I always thought in-engine was only partially representative of in game footage, but different in that it could be pre-rendered (like a cut scene) and as such, doesn't have to be concerned with normal overheads, and as such, the level of detail can be ramped up?

Master of the Universe

'In Engine' should literally do what it says on the tin and show you the visuals running in the game's engine :) - that means nothing prerendered. It's all being generated by the hardware as if the game was running.

Vids like that can make games look amazing with movie style camera angles etc and who knows, it might be running on developer hardware or a beefed up PC (and elements could be scaled back when porting to a console).

It all comes down to honesty really, it's not a legal term or anything. Someone could well say something was 'in engine' and have it 100% prerendered. Would be fairly easy to spot though.

Just watching some of the Xenoblade Chronicles X footage on Twitch, looks pretty slick. Retr0 will be happy anyway. :)

o1s1n wrote: »
    'In Engine' should literally do what it says on the tin and show you the visuals running in the game's engine :) - that means nothing prerendered. It's all being generated by the hardware as if the game was running.

Vids like that can make games look amazing with movie style camera angles etc and who knows, it might be running on developer hardware or a beefed up PC (and elements could be scaled back when porting to a console).

It all comes down to honesty really, it's not a legal term or anything. Someone could well say something was 'in engine' and have it 100% prerendered. Would be fairly easy to spot though.

But in-engine means anything run by the game engine, & if its a cut scene for example, the detail can be far higher as the engine won't have to worry about anything else except what's on screen. In-game, means the same engine, but the game actually running in real time which means far more overheads thus less detail. That's how I've always understood it. The Zelda clip might be using the same engine as the game, but given it's not the game actually in play, the detail in it will naturally be higher than when the game itself is running.

They said about that clip too that it's in-engine, running on 'Wii U level hardware'....

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    But in-engine means anything run by the game engine, & if its a cut scene for example, the detail can be far higher as the engine won't have to worry about anything else except what's on screen. In-game, means the same engine, but the game actually running in real time which means far more overheads thus less detail. That's how I've always understood it. The Zelda clip might be using the same engine as the game, but given it's not the game actually in play, the detail in it will naturally be higher than when the game itself is running.

They said about that clip too that it's in-engine, running on 'Wii U level hardware'....

I'm guessing you're a bit disappointed by the Zelda showing anyway? What did you make of the rest of the Nintendo show? I thought it was pretty good - they had the games that impressed me more than what I saw from Sony/MS. Not a huge list though and not enough for the 3DS (Smash Bros, Pokemon, Fantasy Life).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Just ordered this:
    a7zm.jpg
    ylxns.jpg

I dont know why, and I'm sure its a waste of money, but damn thats the batman scale model I want, none of your modern day stuff for me :D

Master of the Universe

Oh I never disputed any of that and they can sure use the extra available resources to produce a cleaner looking image, but it's still the games engine so is fairly indicative of what the game looks like.

Edit - oh and just to add, I think it looks pretty stunning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Steve SI wrote: »
    Just ordered this:
    a7zm.jpg
    ylxns.jpg

I dont know why, and I'm sure its a waste of money, but damn thats the batman scale model I want, none of your modern day stuff for me :D
    Pure. West.

i4g0cxeTot9Gu.gif

I'm guessing you're a bit disappointed by the Zelda showing anyway? What did you make of the rest of the Nintendo show? I thought it was pretty good - they had the games that impressed me more than what I saw from Sony/MS. Not a huge list though and not enough for the 3DS (Smash Bros, Pokemon, Fantasy Life).

A tad disappointed tbh, I really was expecting something more than the 40 second clip we got. Given the game is a 2015 release, I really thought there'd be something more to offer than a 40 second clip of non game footage :(

I thought the rest of their offering was good, & I get the feeling the Wii U is about to start being a very worthwhile addition for any gamer. I'm not the biggest Ninty fan (I'm a Zelda nut though!), so things like the Mario Maker do absolutely nothing for me.

Just watching some of the Xenoblade Chronicles X footage on Twitch, looks pretty slick. Retr0 will be happy anyway. :)

Would if he had any internet to see it, he has no idea what has happened at the E3 over the past 24 hours!
    Lets make stuff up!
    Army Men on the PS4!
    Legend of Dragoon 2 on the WiiU!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Would if he had any internet to see it, he has no idea what has happened at the E3 over the past 24 hours!
    Lets make stuff up!
    Army Men on the PS4!
    Legend of Dragoon 2 on the WiiU!

mother 3

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,765 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

mother 3

Mother 4 surely :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Mother 4 surely :pac:

woopsy :L:L:L

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Streets of Rage 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,765 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Further proof that there is no god, or at the very least any omnipresent being has chosen to forsake us measly humans: http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/entry/view/id/362295

A Sonic film fashioned along the lines of the recent Smurf ones? that's the kind of **** the infests any films that happen to be screening adjacent to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

If it's not written in crayon, it's already outdone Sonic Team's efforts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Just thought I'd post a pic of my setup at the minute, 2600 resting on a 7800, Nes which seems to have decided to go into 'white light mode' lately, c64 with an n64 under it, and pride of place, virtual boy (thanks urbanledge!) and vectrex with working vecflash! Gotta have headphones for the full virtualboy experience too!

setup_zps1ad8eec7.jpg

And if I turn around, this is my mame cabinet waiting to be played!

cab2_zps95871e78.jpg

cab1_zps88c09fb9.jpg

Apologies, the cab has an lcd monitor in it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

QkTD99G.gif

• Advertisement

2 new cabs for sale on adverts,(virtua on and a Goliath)
    both ads the machines are switched off.
    I just dont understand it?

That virtua on is a huge mofo.Shame the controls limit it so much.
    Would be cool to make a VS figher out of it if you had infinite space !

Speaking of infinite space what ever happened the massive 50" gunblade cab someone here had?Didnt that come form the lad selling virtua on ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Doge

Steve SI wrote: »
    Just ordered this:
    a7zm.jpg
    ylxns.jpg

10377631_784928408206768_512212999325523300_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Doge

Wow, never was aware of this, It's called Sonic 8-bit remake.

It's like the master system version of Sonic 1 had a baby with the Mega Drive version:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭Steve X2

So I backed the US Gold book on kickstarter today. There is only a day or so left to back it so anyone else thinking about getting it, better jump on it!

I went for the double, the US Gold book and also the Ocean book that they did last year.
    Did anyone get the Ocean book? Whats the quality like?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

It's finally here!

Go England and Spain! :)

lSiEEby.jpg

• Advertisement

All I can think, bugger, a month of bloody football :(

All I can think, bugger, a month of bloody football :(

The world cup is class!
    Just watch and enjoy it and drink cans with the lads

urbanledge wrote: »
    The world cup is class!
    Just watch and enjoy it and drink cans with the lads

100% truth. Corrupt as FIFA is, it is about the football. And there is no bigger stage for it. Biggest prize in football.

Got home tonight. Wife got me a surprise of a bag of cans and a pizza for the match.

Bliss. :D

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    100% truth. Corrupt as FIFA is, it is about the football. And there is no bigger stage for it. Biggest prize in football.

Got home tonight. Wife got me a surprise of a bag of cans and a pizza for the match.

Bliss. :D

Is she single?

Is she single?

She will be in a month when she's sick of football. :D

Started playing Inazuma Eleven in an odd coincidence; forgot about the footy altogether.

I just don't enjoy watching sport

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Started playing Inazuma Eleven in an odd coincidence; forgot about the footy altogether.

Played some of it myself earlier to celebrate the world cup.
    Don't usually play football games but I'll make an exception for that one.

Is yours the original on the DS?

I just don't enjoy watching sport

You're all about the stool samples, that's how nurses roll!

pdbhp wrote: »
    Played some of it myself earlier to celebrate the world cup.
    Don't usually play football games but I'll make an exception for that one.

Is yours the original on the DS?

It is. Argos are selling'em off, been looking for it for yonks. What version you on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

"I visited Brazil once" will be about the only contribution I'll be able to make to conversations for the next month.

It is. Argos are selling'em off, been looking for it for yonks. What version you on?

Same as you.
    Wasn't a big fan of the controls though as I never won the ball or even a tackle for ages until I read an article about it and how you need higher stats to increase the chances of getting the ball.
    Bit silly really cos that's how RPG's work. :confused:

pdbhp wrote: »
    Same as you.
    Wasn't a big fan of the controls though as I never won the ball or even a tackle for ages until I read an article about it and how you need higher stats to increase the chances of getting the ball.
    Bit silly really cos that's how RPG's work. :confused:

Happy to hear it, thought I was being a numbnut. How far are you into it? I believe there's a section later on where you've to retain the ball for a time, which I'm not looking forward to; strategy thus far has been lobbing it up the other end of the field and hoping a lad with a special is ready to receive it.

Happy to hear it, thought I was being a numbnut. How far are you into it? I believe there's a section later on where you've to retain the ball for a time, which I'm not looking forward to; strategy thus far has been lobbing it up the other end of the field and hoping a lad with a special is ready to receive it.

3 - 4 hours maybe but I probably spent 4 hours just getting past the first 2 battles. Hadn't heard about the having to retain the ball, sounds tricky.

A list of things I currently have less interest in than the World Cup:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Fuuuuuu world cup, my gaff is the only safe haven...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Thought this video was done really well. Zelda meets Game of Thrones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

2 new cabs for sale on adverts,(virtua on and a Goliath)
    both ads the machines are switched off.
    I just dont understand it?

That virtua on is a huge mofo.Shame the controls limit it so much.
    Would be cool to make a VS figher out of it if you had infinite space !

Speaking of infinite space what ever happened the massive 50" gunblade cab someone here had?Didnt that come form the lad selling virtua on ?

Yeah I saw that Virtua on cab in Mitch's when I picked up a few bits and bobs.
    The twin in massive,but I'd never dream of of converting it, it's a class Sega arcade game In its own right.
    On that sellers ads I see that he sold a Sega rally sitdown to Mozzie.
    Did you get that lad..never seen pics of it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

DinoRex wrote: »
    "I visited Brazil once" will be about the only contribution I'll be able to make to conversations for the next month.

what's the pricing like in the retro game shops over there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

what's the pricing like in the retro game shops over there?

And does everyone just play the Megadrive?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement