Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,276 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

By the way, I see an NTSC US cart in the second picture. Are you sure you're using the correct scart cable? (there's a difference between the PAL and NTSC one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

o1s1n wrote: »
    By the way, I see an NTSC US cart in the second picture. Are you sure you're using the correct scart cable? (there's a difference between the PAL and NTSC one)

I remember linking cables from Consolegoods a while back, I still think it could be the slot. When the console is powered on and off while connected is there any change at all on the tv.

Master of the Universe

Monkeykube wrote: »
    I remember linking cables from Consolegoods a while back, I still think it could be the slot. When the console is powered on and off while connected is there any change at all on the tv.

Hmmm, it's definitely worth a try cleaning it (even a good oul trusty 'blow'!) but any cart based console I've seen with a dirty cart slot produced a signal on the TV, just a black one.

So the signal is leaving the console, appearing on the tv (in black) - but there's no game showing due to the bad contact between the slot and the cart due to dirt.

No signal at all would mean there's something going on between the console and the TV. (dodgy video out socket on the console, dodgy/loose cable, wrong AV socket etc)

Unless for some reason his TV goes to 'no signal' if there's a black image - but that's kind of unlikely, and even more unlikely seeing as it's happening on two TVs.

Hmmm, it's definitely worth a try cleaning it (even a good oul trusty 'blow'!) but any cart based console I've seen with a dirty cart slot produced a signal on the TV, just a black one.

So the signal is leaving the console, appearing on the tv (in black) - but there's no game showing due to the bad contact between the slot and the cart due to dirt.

No signal at all would mean there's something going on between the console and the TV. (dodgy video out socket on the console, dodgy/loose cable, wrong AV socket etc)

Unless for some reason his TV goes to 'no signal' if there's a black image - but that's kind of unlikely, and even more unlikely seeing as it's happening on two TVs.

I remember Myrddin having to clean one out before. I checked it a while before that and it was working fine.
    Is there is ANY change at all when the snes is powered on and off say five seconds apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Ah yeah you're literally getting no signal out of the console.

If it was a dirty cart you'd be getting a signal, the screen would just be black.

I'd say it's the scart cable. Only thing you can really do is to try another (or do you maybe have a composite or RF cable lying about that you could try instead?)

Yes, I purchased a NTSC console from eBay. I bought a separate plug and scart cable from a site recommended by a user here that was to work for a NTSC SNES for UK TVs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I remember Myrddin having to clean one out before. I checked it a while before that and it was working fine.
    Is there is ANY change at all when the snes is powered on and off say five seconds apart.

Yeah, actually twas the one I got from yourself I think? Very easy to do, open the console & take the screws out on either side of the cart slot & the cart connector actually detaches allowing it to be properly cleaned.

Myrddin wrote: »
    Yeah, actually twas the one I got from yourself I think? Very easy to do, open the console & take the screws out on either side of the cart slot & the cart connector actually detaches allowing it to be properly cleaned.

That was the one, I remember you gave it a good clean and it came back to life.

Master of the Universe

Feckin' dirty Americans! :pac:

Can't say I've ever come across a cart slot that was that dirty. Mad stuff.

Can't say I've ever come across a cart slot that was that dirty. Mad stuff.

In this case it was the dirty Irish. Twas a spare one I picked up god knows where.

• Advertisement

Was actually a PAL console, I needed one because I didn't want to mod my US one to play Terranigma :o

I'd like to think its the cable and not the console.

I purchased the following cable off of consolegoods.co.uk.
    SNES/SFC/GC RGB Scart cable

£5.90

The following consoles offer RGB, for superior image quality, when used with this cable:

NTSC USA SNES Super Nintendo
    NTSC Japanese Super Famicom
    PAL UK/Europe Gamecube Game Cube
    Cable also carries standard composite AV, this is useful if your TV is one of a tiny minoritry which is has a scart socket which is not wired for RGB.

1.8 metres long
    Stereo sound
    Brand new item.per Nintendo
    Customer comment: "cable arrived and works perfectly, nice bright, sharp image. Thanks again" Phil Hardwick, Stockton-on-Tees, UK

In stock

NEW

I have games arriving from America too. Should of waited to see if the thing worked first!

^^

Isn't that the wrong cable for a PAL Snes?

^^

Isn't that the wrong cable for a PAL Snes?

It's an NTSC SNES.

Keno wrote: »
    It's an NTSC SNES.

Ah, sorry, thought it was a PAL one. It's the right cable so, & consolegoods are very reputable, I've bought from them on a few occasions

There is a rattle on the scart when shook. I've no way of testing if it's broke or not too.

• Advertisement

There is a rattle on the scart when shook. I've no way of testing if it's broke or not too.

You can open the scart connector & see if all wires are soldered (haven't broken away) very easily.

Master of the Universe

Yeah there's just a twisty thing on the top of the scart. Really easy to open it up.

Maybe the solder on one of the connections has just broken.

The soldering looks fine going by the first two pictures.

I did notice a piece of plastic in the power supply. It seems to be from the back of the SNES and when removed you can see two metal prongs. It still powers on without it though.

The soldering looks fine going by the first two pictures.

I did notice a piece of plastic in the power supply. It seems to be from the back of the SNES and when removed you can see two metal prongs. It still powers on without it though.

Be careful with that piece of plastic, does it only fit back into the Snes one way? Or is it reversible? I'm not certain, but I'd be concerned if putting it in the wrong way might reverse the polarity of the power to the console...

Be careful with that piece of plastic, does it only fit back into the Snes one way? Or is it reversible? I'm not certain, but I'd be concerned if putting it in the wrong way might reverse the polarity of the power to the console...

Yes, it does only fit one way. I've tried it without it in and the red light still comes on.

• Advertisement

Yes, it does only fit one way. I've tried it without it in and the red light still comes on.

I'd say at this point it's the cart connector needs cleaning. Open the console, & use the credit card cleaning method...give all the carts a proper cleaning with q-tips also. If needs be, remove the cart connector from the mainboard & clean it the connections under it too.

I'd say at this point it's the cart connector needs cleaning. Open the console, & use the credit card cleaning method...give all the carts a proper cleaning with q-tips also. If needs be, remove the cart connector from the mainboard & clean it the connections under it too.

I cleaned it using swabs and the credit card trick after like my second post here.

I'd be aprehensive about opening it as I'd be afraid I'd mess something up. Don't I need a special tool to open it?

I cleaned it using swabs and the credit card trick after like my second post here.

I'd be aprehensive about opening it as I'd be afraid I'd mess something up. Don't I need a special tool to open it?

It's difficult to clean properly without taking the console apart though. I think you need one of the gamebit screwdrivers/screwdriver heads for the Snes, but don't worry, there's not much that can go wrong. The lid literally lifts off & you've full access to the cart slot

It's difficult to clean properly without taking the console apart though. I think you need one of the gamebit screwdrivers/screwdriver heads for the Snes, but don't worry, there's not much that can go wrong. The lid literally lifts off & you've full access to the cart slot

IS this the sort of thing I need?

On eBay it said it was working. So does that mean it has collected dirt over the course of the delivery or the guy lied and it wasn't working?

Master of the Universe

So wait a sec, you bought the RGB cable separately right?

So did the console come with a composite cable?

Before completely ruling out cables, you need to try it with a second.

So if an RGB one isn't working, try a composite one too.

If there's still no video then it's probably not the cables.

If there is video (it'll be black and white) then you've something up with the RGB cable or the RGB out on the console.

Edit - just to say, I'm focusing on the cables so much because of what I mentioned before, plus the fact that you said it was working before he sent it out. (doesn't make sense that it would suddenly get dirty in transit)

IS this the sort of thing I need?

On eBay it said it was working. So does that mean it has collected dirt over the course of the delivery or the guy lied and it wasn't working?

Yeah they'll do. It's possible your cable is dodgy, it's possible the seller lied & the console is broken, it's possible the seller didn't lie & this can be chalked up to just a retro console needing a cleaning. It's either going to be one of the following:

1) Console borked. Nothing you can do other than initiate communications with the seller, which could end up you having to file disputes with paypal etc. Not to mention, covering return postage yourself.

2) Faulty RGB Scart cable. The soldering etc looks ok from the pics, & as I said, quite a few of us here have used that vendor before...he knows what he's doing. It could be a dodgy cable, but given the source, I'd say its unlikely.

3) Cart socket/connector is dirty. I think eliminating this will be the cheapest route to take before considering the above. At best, it'll solve the issue. At worst, you're doing something today that would have needed doing down the road anyway.

Master of the Universe

This is like some mad battle of the troubleshooters :D

The console had to have come with a composite cable originally, so if he can try that out then it should be quick and cheap :)

This is like some mad battle of the troubleshooters :D

The console had to have come with a composite cable originally, so if he can try that out then it should be quick and cheap :)

Could it have come with RF instead? Think the US Snes has an RF output on it? Which as we all no, is no sure fire way of testing output. RF can be a nightmare to tune in on modern tv's, & that's if the cable is even working (they have a tendency to break with age)...

Master of the Universe

If it came with an RF cable that can still be used to test video out. It he gets a picture then we know that the issue isn't with the cart slot.

There's no real difference in tuning RF on a modern TV to an older one (if the TV has RF in of course! :)) - the video quality will look absolutely appalling, but we're using it for testing, not playing.

Just connect it up and do an automatic scan. Shows up on channel 36 on many TVs. (in actual fact, on most modern TVs I've had it's shown up on most of them as the bandwidth seems to be broader)

Best to try all external solutions available before cracking her open and feasting on the goo inside! ;)

If it came with an RF cable that can still be used to test video out. It he gets a picture then we know that the issue isn't with the cart slot.

Assuming the RF cable works, as I said, they're very fickle & break with age.
    There's no real difference in tuning RF on a modern TV to an older one (if the TV has RF in of course! :)) - the video quality will look absolutely appalling, but we're using it for testing, not playing.

True to an extent, but speaking for my flatscreen plasma, it's a nightmare to manually tune on . The increments are small, requiring repeated button presses to change, & the frequencies don't match up with what you find online for whatever consoles. The Snes I got from Monkeykube wouldn't tune in, & after a LONG time arsing about with frequencies & bands, I gave up. I cleaned the cart connector & a few mins later the console was working (after more tuning in).
    Just connect it up and do an automatic scan. Shows up on channel 36 on many TVs. (in actual fact, on most modern TVs I've had it's shown up on most of them as the bandwidth seems to be broader)

An automatic scan wipes the existing channel organisation though (not a problem for most as we've digital stb's now), but if you're like me, analog just does fine for the bedroom & I like having them sorted a certain way. And to be honest, the channels that come in for free make up the best of a basic digital pack anyway :o
    Best to try all external solutions available before cracking her open and feasting on the goo inside! ;)

Again true, but removing the cart connector is so simple & quick to do, it saves a ton of time. Especially if your tv is like mine! :D

• Advertisement

So, I was just about to order that screwdriver and I said I'd try the last out of the 5 games I got with the console, for the craic.

And it worked! WTF. I cleaned the remaining 4 and another one worked but 3 didn't. The scart and cable that came with it work.

The 5 games came with it and I'm not really bothered with them, so it's grand. Now the wait for my ordered games to arrive begins.

Thank's for all your time lads. I really appreciate it!

311223.JPG

Dirty carts!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,765 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Now make sure to set that TV to glorious 4:3 before things get really ugly round here :pac:

Now make sure to set that TV to glorious 4:3 before things get really ugly round here :pac:

Oh god, the 16:9 brigade versus the 4:3 brigade, then throw the framemeister brigade into the loop & things will get really messy :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Oh god, the 16:9 brigade versus the 4:3 brigade, then throw the framemeister brigade into the loop & things will get really messy :D

Don't forget the CRT master race. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

16:9? 4:3? Syncmaster? CRT?!

Snes9x fo lyfe!

Master of the Universe

So, I was just about to order that screwdriver and I said I'd try the last out of the 5 games I got with the console, for the craic.

And it worked! WTF. I cleaned the remaining 4 and another one worked but 3 didn't. The scart and cable that came with it work.

The 5 games came with it and I'm not really bothered with them, so it's grand. Now the wait for my ordered games to arrive begins.

Thank's for all your time lads. I really appreciate it!

Excellent! :)

So there's absolutely nothing wrong with the console or cables at all, just manky carts. I wonder why it worked before shipping? (maybe he just happened to try the one clean cart!)

Best thing to get for them is isopropyl alcohol (also known as rubbing alcohol). It's great stuff for cleaning edge connectors.

MrVestek wrote: »
    16:9? 4:3? Syncmaster? CRT?!

Snes9x fo lyfe!

Oh god, & then there's us cretins...parked squarely at emulation station :D

Master of the Universe

Oh god, & then there's us cretins...parked squarely at emulation station :D

How are you getting on with that by the way? Do you find you're playing games as much?

I think I remember hearing you saying you were staying away from romsets for fear of the dreaded spoiled for choice thing.

• Advertisement

How are you getting on with that by the way? Do you find you're playing games as much?

I think I remember hearing you saying you were staying away from romsets for fear of the dreaded spoiled for choice thing.

Honestly, I love the thing. Yes it's emulation, & yes it's hardly an authentic experience...but there is just something that makes it an enjoyable experience nonetheless. I did avoid dropping whole romsets onto it, because I didn't want 'flash card syndrome' kicking in, & having far too much choice. I handpicked my favorite games for each system, & went through a load of top 100 lists, so have a very decent selection for all the systems on it...but yet it's still something you can browse through without having to take the morning off.

I'm using it quite a bit, & am very happy with how Hyperspin/Hyperlauch looks after all the messing about for you (mounting disc images, un-mounting them etc). The emulation on the systems I mostly use is perfect as far as playability (MAME, 16-bit, PC Engine etc) & I've already discovered some games that I want to buy to add to the collection. Maybe it seems odd to be a collector who plays mostly now on emulators? I suppose it is. I do still highly value my collection though, & a bartop while being pretty damn cool, isn't enough to make me want to part ways with my stuff.

I did pack almost all of it away, because now I can play games on the bartop & not be absolutely killed for space having to have the consoles out. The way I see it, is that it's a nice accompaniment to a physical collection...it's extremely convenient, takes up much less space, very handy having everything there at the touch of a button...but obviously is nowhere near as cool as having shelves of games & systems on display and ready for use!

Chuffed I did it anyway, a huge amount of time/work gone into it & I'd do it all again if I had to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Zach Braffs new Video games documentary looks good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,765 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't know, kind of looks like another 'condensed history of video games' from a very general, populist perspective. That's what has held Charlie Brooker's work in the area back a bit. I think the best documentaries (and maybe fiction films) about games will be more specific and niche than that. Could be decent still of course, but the trailer doesn't look like it will tell us a whole lot most of us don't already know!

Master of the Universe

I'll give it a watch as the production does look high enough and I'd say it'll be enjoyable to a degree.

However, I am getting a bit tired of videogames being treated as a whole. You have analysis of film, books and music on a genre basis, why do games reports generally have to be so all encompassing? There's definitely a whole heap of info out there to make them far more specific.

I'll give it a watch as the production does look high enough and I'd say it'll be enjoyable to a degree.

However, I am getting a bit tired of videogames being treated as a whole. You have analysis of film, books and music on a genre basis, why do games reports generally have to be so all encompassing? There's definitely a whole heap of info out there to make them far more specific.

There'll always be the place for something general. Look at, say, Story of Film: An Odyssey, which is indeed an epic journey (a 900 minute TV series) through the history of cinema with an impressive depth of historical, social, geographical, technical and most importantly critical & formal analysis. But gaming commentary by and large is extremely shallow, more in line with a Wikipedia page than something more involved and articulate.

So someone out there will probably be able to make a fantastic, insanely detailed documentary about how gameplay, mechanics, storytelling, graphics etc... have evolved over the years, from the Pong to whatever the latest evolutionary title is. It will be gloriously nerdy. Honestly though I don't think the mere language hasn't been properly devised to do that yet :pac:

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I guess it does come down to the duration of the production. 900 minutes does give you a lot of time to get very specific details in on a whole host of subjects. I'd absolutely love to see something similar done with videogames :)

However if it's a 1-2 hour film, you really can't delve deep enough to do a 'videogames; Space War to PS4' type thing unless you focus in on specifics.

Well maybe you can (!) I just find in most instances I've seen, it's just a rehash of all the standard bits you already know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Magrunner: Dark Pulse is free on gog.com for the next 24 hours. Can't say I'm familiar with it, but it looks interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

is that his accent? I'm from Wicklow and I've heard some strange accents but where the Wesley is that from?

Its like an episode of Tim and Eric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

safetyboy wrote: »

is that his accent? I'm from Wicklow and I've heard some strange accents but where the Wesley is that from?

Dublin 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭Steve X2

safetyboy wrote: »

Hollywood just isn't ready for the Wicklow accent yet :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement