Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,276 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That is one bizarre accent! Wicklow meets America.

I've noticed the Wicklow accent creeping back into my own accent after moving back to Bray. Sounds like a bloody see-saw! up and down and up and down. Must be from all the hills :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Like this one time at band camp..............................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

This is pretty cool.. a guy working on a game for the past 13 years:

Master of the Universe

Here's a download link to it for free if anyone fancies giving it a go. I know I do!

http://wip.warpdoor.com/2014/06/18/tobias-and-the-dark-sceptres-adam-butcher/

His Internet Story video is really good as well:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Resident Evil 4 is currently 20% off (€15.99 right now) on the Steam sale. Should I cave in or should I hold out on a better offer during the sales?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'd hold out for sure, follow the steam sale rules!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Doge

o1s1n wrote: »
    That is one bizarre accent! Wicklow meets America.

I've noticed the Wicklow accent creeping back into my own accent after moving back to Bray. Sounds like a bloody see-saw! up and down and up and down. Must be from all the hills :D

Jaysus lad, you'd never do down in Cork so!

The pitch of our accent goes up and down like a perfect sine wave.

Its like we have an LFO built into a our vocal chords!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I prefer the Kerry accent, more classy than the Cork one...

Played a bit of that Tobias and the Dark Sceptres game there.

It's quite fun, sort of like Dark Castle, except not terrible.

It's a bit clunky but I guess a lot of that is down to the Multimedia Fusion architecture. But there are lots of neat ideas in there and some cool boss battles.

Made it as far as Chapter 5, seems to start to get really tough around there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

DinoRex wrote: »
    Played a bit of that Tobias and the Dark Sceptres game there.

It's quite fun, sort of like Dark Castle, except not terrible.

It's a bit clunky but I guess a lot of that is down to the Multimedia Fusion architecture. But there are lots of neat ideas in there and some cool boss battles.

Made it as far as Chapter 5, seems to start to get really tough around there.

Is there joypad support?

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Is there joypad support?

Outside of using your own keymapping software, no.

Keyboard was fine, but on Chapter 5 it seems a lot of precision jumping is required which isn't easy when the character is so floaty and you're trying your best to not hit the windows key when you're pressing Ctrl to jump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

DinoRex wrote: »
    Outside of using your own keymapping software, no.

Keyboard was fine, but on Chapter 5 it seems a lot of precision jumping is required which isn't easy when the character is so floaty and you're trying your best to not hit the windows key when you're pressing Ctrl to jump.

XPadder ftw.

Steam Sale isn't too brilliant just yet.

Although this masterpiece is just 99c:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I hope Ninty drop Zero Mission on the VC soon, the itchy bid-finger is a hovering over 'buy' on eBay, being held back only by that feeling of gob****ery that'd follow it being released on the VC immediately after. Playing the older gear on the Wii-U pad possesses a level of cosy I wasn't anticipating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm loving the Bluetooth keyboard from Ninty, although this is my son's one.
    I must call into Argos and pick one up for myself.
    Also, the selection on Club Nintendo is pretty thin right now, but the selection of stuff for sale on their site is pretty nice, I particularly like the Goomba baseball cap, the Los Santos one doesn't hold a candle to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Well...looks like the Looper director is set to helm Episode VIII of Star Wars. Finally, some positive news since the franchise's sale to Disney.

Looper was pretty awful... but he did do some great Breaking Bad episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,765 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have enjoyed all Johnson's films to date to varying degrees, so optimistic about that.

Hopefully Disney will trust their directors more than those creativity allergic suits at Marvel do, as there's few directors out there who have the potential to make pulpy, stylish and bombastic space operas quite like Abrams and Johnson.

Still, all optimism remains cautious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Have enjoyed all Johnson's films to date to varying degrees, so optimistic about that.

Hopefully Disney will trust their directors more than those creativity allergic suits at Marvel do, as there's few directors out there who have the potential to make pulpy, stylish and bombastic space operas quite like Abrams and Johnson.

Still, all optimism remains cautious.

Disney own Marvel though, so I can't imagine Disney will be any better in that regard. And the likes of John Carter, Pirates etc, don't bode well for Star Wars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,765 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well the simple fact that they're allowing distinctive, ambitious directors on board is a mildly encouraging sign after the embarrassing dismissal of Edgar Wright on Ant Man (jury's still out on whether James Gunn can bring his verve to Guardians of the Galaxy - pretty much the last chance for Marvel/Disney to overcome the crippling mediocrity of their produce - not that that's affecting their box office takes, sadly).

Obviously Star Wars isn't going to be a great subversive masterpiece - it's ****ing Star Wars, after all - but the fact that they're hiring directors like Johnson and Abrams - two of the very few directors out there who can handle accessible genre films with style and enthusiasm - is to me a sign they're putting a lot of effort into trying to ensure these films overcome the dark shadow cast by the horrid prequels. Christopher Nolan would be absolutely wasted on Star Wars, and Pacific Rim zapped a lot of the respect I had for del Toro. They've probably locked Whedon into a decade of Avengers sequels. So yeah, Abrams and Johnson are about as good a fit as there are right now (with Josh Trank and Gareth Edwards on spin off duty), so we'll just have to wait and see how it all turns out.

Of course I'd love Johnson to be making films that aren't 200 million dollar franchise films, but hey ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,910 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Retcon 5 review:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-hyperkin-retron5-review

I'd take it with a pinch of salt, the reviewer doesn't seem to know a lot about what they are talking about. He talks about filters like super2x as a positive when any retrogamer will turn their nose up at them. Also it seems Castlevania 3 won't work, that game was my barometer for NES emulators, if CV3 didn't work then the emulator had awful emulation. Still added scanlines sounds nice but I'm pretty sure it won't be XRGB levels there and just black on every second pixel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Master of the Universe

Had a really good look through all the stock in The Rage the other day. Went through everything. They do have a fantastic selection of games, so many quality titles there.

But jeez, I said it before but I'll say it again, the prices :eek:

When I originally went in, it was to pick up a few Snes games but I'm not paying 30-50 for a cart only game. No way.

The price of the boxed stuff :eek:

That's twice in about three weeks I've left empty handed. And I went in there with the full intention of buying something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

30-50 for a loose cart? Darius Force, Spriggan Powered, Do Re Mi Fantasy, Kikikaikai, Dion, R Type III etc maybe. Anything else though, probably not.

That is ridiculous pricing.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Had a really good look through all the stock in The Rage the other day. Went through everything. They do have a fantastic selection of games, so many quality titles there.

But jeez, I said it before but I'll say it again, the prices :eek:

When I originally went in, it was to pick up a few Snes games but I'm not paying 30-50 for a cart only game. No way.

The price of the boxed stuff :eek:

That's twice in about three weeks I've left empty handed. And I went in there with the full intention of buying something.

I've the same issue any time I go in, where my intentions aren't carried out.
    The prices of boxed Snes stuff reflects the premium end of eBay but condition reflects Oscar from Sesame Street.

How much they asking for the boxed stuff?

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    How much they asking for the boxed stuff?

Last time I was there, they had a battered Castlevania IV for either 90 or 100.

Well, I asked. They seem to be doing very well, by all accounts, so there's quite a few folk paying these high-end rates; I'd honestly like to see what that market is exactly. Is there some pocket of fat-walleted nostalgia kids that are too impatient as to bother with eBay and whatnot?

RAGE seems to be the only game in town again. Aside from Book Mart, I guess, but I guess I should be grateful there's a least something available.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,910 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Last time I was there, they had a battered Castlevania IV for either 90 or 100.

I think they've gotten way worse. Blame the clueless people going in there thinking it's a mecca of retrogaming goodness and a goldmine of knowledge and there's nothing else like it in the world. There's always somene in there oohing and aahing over everything like it's the most amazing place ever or someone willing to pay 30 euros for mario cart. But sure if it makes them money then they are probably happy. Some of the games they sell are is rag order though. Any cart I buy there needs a serious clean to even get working the amount of gunk on the connectors.

Master of the Universe

Also be wary when buying any of their Sega stuff. Its all beside the window and lots of the spines are bleached to feck as a result.

It's not worth the trek over for me, I'd rather spend the money on eBay or Adverts and get a bargain than pay those inflated prices, unless your like Johnny U, in which case you probably love it there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Can anyone recommend a simple pc programme that will let me create a slideshow of images and audio in a high quality video format suitable to upload to YouTube?

Thanks

Buying GBA games online has gotten to be such a tense experience, considering the sheer amount of effort that's gone into some boots. Especially on ads with no photos, where the stream of questions prompts the buyer to second-guess and go 'actually, I was a bit hasty trying to dump these' or an 'actually, I've been undervaluing this'.

It's also how I nearly ended up buying a bootleg LeafGreen and FireRed, where the buyer tried to establish credibility with 'I'll throw in the USA-only ChaosBlack'. To say I darted would be underselling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I'd say the GBA Pokemon games must have more fakes than nearly all other retro games combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Buying GBA games online has gotten to be such a tense experience, considering the sheer amount of effort that's gone into some boots. Especially on ads with no photos, where the stream of questions prompts the buyer to second-guess and go 'actually, I was a bit hasty trying to dump these' or an 'actually, I've been undervaluing this'.

It's also how I nearly ended up buying a bootleg LeafGreen and FireRed, where the buyer tried to establish credibility with 'I'll throw in the USA-only ChaosBlack'. To say I darted would be underselling it.

This really bugs me no end.

I'd love to collect for the GBA but its just too hard to buy games online say on ebay or amazon and know your getting a real copy of the game.

Anyone have any retrobright made up that they could pass on some to me? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Anyone have any retrobright made up that they could pass on some to me? Thanks

The chemical concoction I use doesn't store well so I always have to make it up on the day I'm using it.
    Plus you need a UV lamp or direct sunlight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Well you just missed the sunshine!
    I meant to do my NES while it was sunny, just didn't have time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I got a UV lamp from amazon. Does the job really well.

Steve SI wrote: »
    The chemical concoction I use doesn't store well so I always have to make it up on the day I'm using it.
    Plus you need a UV lamp or direct sunlight.

What's your recipe Steve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Doge

What's your recipe Steve?

That question carries a death sentence!

Steve SI pictured ealier:
    il_570xN.509707873_d7ua.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Didn't someone have good success with just shop bought 12% peroxide here recently ?

Anybody want about 20 dvd boxes?
    There all PC games I've activated on steam so chucking them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Anyone PS3 savvy? I set up my JP account last year to avail of this http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=596151
    I got mine onto my psp and retr0 got them onto his Ps3, can I get them on my PS3 now? I can't seem to find anything on the store about them but they showed up in previous purchases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Sera wrote: »
    Anyone PS3 savvy? I set up my JP account last year to avail of this http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=596151
    I got mine onto my psp and retr0 got them onto his Ps3, can I get them on my PS3 now? I can't seem to find anything on the store about them but they showed up in previous purchases

As far as I'm aware, there shouldn't be an issue getting these on to your ps3, assuming you're is the second ps3 you are trying to get them on. Are you searching via the ps3 store interface or the Web one?

Also, in happy news, after popping the question to my better half last week, she's determined to get me a big present. My clever plan to get a candy cab is on its way to fruition! Mwahahah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

RedXIV wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, there shouldn't be an issue getting these on to your ps3, assuming you're is the second ps3 you are trying to get them on. Are you searching via the ps3 store interface or the Web one?

Also, in happy news, after popping the question to my better half last week, she's determined to get me a big present. My clever plan to get a candy cab is on its way to fruition! Mwahahah!

Congrats on the engagement! Take it from me: Don't screw it up.

Congratulations Man!
    You'll be posting it in the New Get City thread when you get hitched!
    MrVestek wrote: »
    Congrats on the engagement! Take it from me: Don't screw it up.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Retro got them in his own PS3 lol, I'm trying to get them on my one I got last week so first ps3. I tried through the store interface, would I be worth doing the web store instead?

That's great news, congratulations! <3 I'm looking forward to seeing the new cab :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement