Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Keno wrote: »
    Does anyone here have a copy of Final Fantasy VI Advance?

I bought a copy off of eBay and I'm worried it might be a fake.

Post an image of the cart up.
    An enormous amount of DS and GBA carts are fake on Ebay unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

The original OLED screened version of the Vita is just stunning.

If you're going to get one at least look at both systems screens side by side before choosing. Its night and day imo.

If I wasnt so broke at the moment I'd be buying a second original Vita in case the one I have breaks. I dont like the idea of having to go to the newer version.

I played the original that Retro has (the original) and P3P looked amazing on it. Is the newer version screen not as good? I assumed it would be just as good, maybe I'll just invest in a white original one then? I'll have a gawk in town tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Post an image of the cart up.
    An enormous amount of DS and GBA carts are fake on Ebay unfortunately.

I have only become known to this post purchase. It's rife.

The inside of the cart says 'Nintendo AGB-E05-01

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

It's a boot, I'm afraid. It reads 'Official Nintendo Seal' instead of 'Official Nintendo Seal of Quality' for starters.

I also got stung on an Emerald and Firered order. I'm such a dope. That seller said he take a return and apologised though. I'll contrast the FF seller now.

I have a few games coming from JJ and Lukie games that Should be the real deal.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    It's a boot, I'm afraid. It reads 'Official Nintendo Seal' instead of 'Official Nintendo Seal of Quality' for starters.

Is that not an American thing? I looked on the American eBay and they all have 'Official Nintendo Seal'.

Shouldn't there be a rating on it also?

Any other details amiss? I contacted the seller and he's asking for reasons why I think it's fake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I also got stung on an Emerald and Firered order. I'm such a dope. That seller said he take a return and apologised though. I'll contrast the FF seller now.

I have a few games coming from JJ and Lukie games that Should be the real deal.

Check the pcb. The cart connector sticking out of the bottom of the cart should read Nintendo above the connector. You will be able to see this without opening the cart. If you can't it's a boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Is that not an American thing? I looked on the American eBay and they all have 'Official Nintendo Seal'.

Shouldn't there be a rating on it also?

Any other details amiss? I contacted the seller and he's asking for reasons why I think it's fake.

My legit US stuff have 'Official Nintendo Seal of Quality'. Retr0's board check is handier, though.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Check the pcb. The cart connector sticking out of the bottom of the cart should read Nintendo above the connector. You will be able to see this without opening the cart. If you can't it's a boot.

In my post with the pictures I stated "The inside of the cart says 'Nintendo AGB-E05-01".

I've checked quiet a few YouTube videos with regards to Pokemon fakes and all of the new ones have the Nintendo above the connector. They're getting really good at making them seem genuine. There is not as much info on FF fakes so I came in here to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Sera wrote: »
    I played the original that Retro has (the original) and P3P looked amazing on it. Is the newer version screen not as good? I assumed it would be just as good, maybe I'll just invest in a white original one then? I'll have a gawk in town tomorrow.

The newer model is fine but it has an LCD screen instead of the originals superb OLED display. There's YouTube clips showing the difference but seeing it in person is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I reckon it's a fake :( No rating on the label.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sera wrote: »

It's a gorgeous LCD screen but you'll only notice the difference side by side really. It's still better for PSP games than the PSP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

That part in particular looks legit to me. A lot of US GBA games just say "Official Nintendo Seal"

However, it doesn't have the product code on the label, which makes it look like a boot to me.

Good guide here, using FFIV and V for examples:
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/identifying-fake-gba-games-a-useful-faq.327354/

Not retro but have a look at this lad, trying to sell a burned 360 game for a tenner on Adverts. Some neck.
    http://www.adverts.ie/xbox/xbox-360-burned-game/5936836

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Monkeykube wrote: »
    Not retro but have a look at this lad, trying to sell a burned 360 game for a tenner on Adverts. Some neck.
    http://www.adverts.ie/xbox/xbox-360-burned-game/5936836

Crazy isn't it.
    LOL at the in great condition and working perfectly.
    Anyone who even considers it needs serious help. A quick ebay and you could have a real version for not much more.

• Advertisement

I know, Adverts is now a minefield of fools, idiots and conmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

And that's just us folks using it:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I bought another Rise of the Robots thing :(
    At this stage I think I need an intervention or something.

Steve SI wrote: »
    I bought another Rise of the Robots thing :(
    At this stage I think I need an intervention or something.

You wouldn't be Steve SI if you only bought the one.

Monkeykube wrote: »
    You wouldn't be Steve SI if you only bought the one.

True, but I think I have a waaaayyyyyy too comprehensive rise of the robots collection :o
    Perhaps a small fire might help :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

tixUD1V.jpg

Steve SI wrote: »
    True, but I think I have a waaaayyyyyy too comprehensive rise of the robots collection :o
    Perhaps a small fire might help :)

It was proven in focus groups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

how didnt everyone realise it was going to be sh1te!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't think the guy doing the voice over said one true thing about the game.
    Nothin' But Lies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It's more JML than JVC...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Just so you know, Gremlins 2 is on RTE 2 right now.

Just so you know, Gremlins 2 is on RTE 2 right now.

Too tired, work in 6 hours, must sleep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

how didnt everyone realise it was going to be sh1te!

Well it clearly says work in progress so maybe they were hoping the work was a totally new game and not that one shown.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So Neversoft has been 'retired' with the studio being amalgamated into Infinity Ward. Always have fond memories of that impaled eye appearing before games in the PS1/2 era!

On the plus side, they went out in style rather than the rather less friendly way many studios seem to be closed up: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-11-tony-hawk-studio-neversoft-bids-farewell-burns-eyeball-effigy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Neversoft had a great output. I'm not sure they had any involvement in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD though, that game was utter garbage and I'm sad I wasted money on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

HD - not Neversoft indeed - was the case of 'works on paper' but missing that nearly impossible to explain extra layer of care and artistry that elevates a game from serviceable to special. It had the levels, the controls, the tricks, (some of) the music - but just didn't manage to land it due to controls and mechanics landing shy of the amazing precision of the great THPS games. It felt like a rush jobs when THPS2/3 felt honed to perfection. Perhaps above all it simply lacked character.

Shame Guitar Hero and annual Tony Hawks sequels (facing the unenviable and ultimately futile task of improving on near perfection after the first couple of games) ensnared Neversoft for much of their lifespan - would have liked to see more original titles from them (although Gun wasn't exactly a particularly memorable effort).

What's the deal with GameEx these days? Anyone know anything about this new front-end they're working on? 3D models seem to be part of it or so it seems in the trailer/teaser.

Edit:
    Had a gander at their forums, found the below info.

Here are some of the new features coming to GameEx Evolution

- GameEx Online (game info, video streaming, pictures, e-Books, configuration all from your browser or mobile device)
    - Shaders (effects including scan lines)
    - Transitions (many transitions included)
    - Animation (keyframe animation support)
    - Gif and Swf rendering support
    - 3D Models (including animated models)
    - Bitmap Fonts (with gradients, strokes & shadow support)
    - AddOns (compiled dll’s with the ability to use the rendering engine)
    - Scripting (C# or VB.NET editor)
    - Layout Editor (for customising your theme)
    - Psd import support (Photoshop image format)
    - Modern new default theme with HTPC or Arcade version (4:3 or 16:9)
    - Rotation and split screen support (with vertical and horizontal themes)
    - Coverflow display (with various view modes)
    - SubLayouts (layouts within layouts)
    - Command.dat support
    - Support for rendering HyperSpin themes (natively with no conversion necessary)

RIP.

Tony Hawks pretty much resurrected the skating scene and was an amazing series in the beginning and Spider-Man games will never be as good again.

Such an incredible track! Really makes full use of those 3 sound channels.

Cydoniac wrote: »

Such an incredible track! Really makes full use of those 3 sound channels.

I played it on the Spectrum, where there was one "beep" channel. Bloody namby pamby spoilt C64 owners with their SID chips, they can feck right off to their fancy friends down the mines!

I played it on the Spectrum, where there was one "beep" channel. Bloody namby pamby spoilt C64 owners with their SID chips, they can feck right off to their fancy friends down the mines!
    Ha! The SID is a fairly neat chip all the same though, I always thought the idea of arpeggiating notes fast to get past the sound channel limits was ingenious, never really repeated on NES and the like so it became a real Commodore sort of sound.

In terms of pushing the sound chip to it's limits though, nothing came close to this;

Absolutely jaw dropping technical capability and brilliance.

They sounded terrible but some programmers achieved interesting things with the Spectrum, when I'm properly awake I'll dig thru youtube!

Funny enough I had never played a C64 until just this week when I got an emulator! I think for the computer-type consoles it's just more hassle than it's worth though, given the keyboard doesn't match the original keyboard and settings have to be precisely tweaked, I just got fed up having to mess around with settings rather than just playing, so getting the real deal is essential. I honestly wish I had kept my Amiga 500 (correction...I wish my parents hadn't gone and sold it!)

They sounded terrible but some programmers achieved interesting things with the Spectrum, when I'm properly awake I'll dig thru youtube!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

The MYTH intro is one of my favourite c64 tunes:

Just finished Bioshock Infinite. Looks gorgeous but it's probably the most overrated game I've played in a long time. The combat is dull and the story is uninteresting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Ha! The SID is a fairly neat chip all the same though, I always thought the idea of arpeggiating notes fast to get past the sound channel limits was ingenious, never really repeated on NES and the like so it became a real Commodore sort of sound.

It was repeated on the NES but mainly by composers who also made tunes for the c64. ;)

Egads, my Mountain has just been struck by a giant piece of cake!

5l52qw.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Egads, my Mountain has just been struck by a giant piece of cake!

5l52qw.jpg

Looks like Glados wasn't lying to you after all....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Just finished Bioshock Infinite. Looks gorgeous but it's probably the most overrated game I've played in a long time. The combat is dull and the story is uninteresting.

It's so dull, isn't it? It's just arena after arena with bullet sponge enemies.

Oh she can open a portal to an infinite amount of alternate realities? Here's one with a freight hook, here's one with a turret, here's one with an ammo crate and that's about it! So exciting!

• Advertisement

DinoRex wrote: »
    It's so dull, isn't it? It's just arena after arena with bullet sponge enemies.

Oh she can open a portal to an infinite amount of alternate realities? Here's one with a freight hook, here's one with a turret, here's one with an ammo crate and that's about it! So exciting!

Pretty much my thoughts on it. Checked the reviews on metacritic afterwards. So much gushing. One of them said forget about gaming's citizen kane moment, when are other mediums going to have their Bioshock Infinite moment :rolleyes:

The ending was a load of arse again. It was just the whole
    someone dies
    thing that every game now pulls when trying to be high art.

It basically boiled down to a M Nigth Shyamalan plot twist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I got the first bioshock in humble bundle during the week and its still heaps better than any of the sequals!

Actually, I really liked the story but was disappointed with the implementation of the reality tearing.
    Being boxed into areas to kill X amount of enemies was quite disappointing too and seemed a backward step from the first Bioshock title.
    But I did enjoy it and the ending was just right, at least for me.

The ending was a load of arse again. It was just the whole
    someone dies
    thing that every game now pulls when trying to be high art.

That's a pretty shallow simplification of an ending that has far, far more going on, and riffs on the prevalent themes of the Bioshock series and by extent comments on gaming more generally in a very interesting way. The Infinite ending shows a game in dialogue with itself, willing to even highlight its own failures and repetitions. Although the game itself was far from perfect, the ending and what it told us about the characters' motivations gave me quite a rush to the point where it even recontextualised and highlighted reasons for the game's repetitive cycles of shooting folk in the face. Doesn't forgive some of its limitations and failures, of course, but I know I ended up quite positive about the game because of where it ultimately ended up.

Well I really didn't get that from it at all. It was all very clumsy and doesn't forgive the dull repetitive gameplay. Spec Ops I felt did that a hell of a lot better. I'm sorry but that just doesn't work for me at all.

Also since the first Bioshock everything Ken Levine writes is pretty much about how everyone is evil which really grated on me in this game especially when a friend of mine pointed it out. It's just not realistic. For all the tearing, multiple reality mumbo jumbo the ending was just ken Levine wrapping up that everyone was indeed evil. I really think that commentary on gaming thing is just handled extremely poorly in this case.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement