Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Cheers for all that Doge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

What's worse then buying the wrong connector ?

Buying 100 of the little buggers :( !!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Forgot to say, I had the weirdest online multiplayer experience at the weekend. I was trying to level up Seras Maria character in Castlevania Harmony of Despair. I joined a group of 5 Japanese players. When they saw I was playing as Maria they all changed to Maria then we jump into the game and what I witnessed was all 5 Japanese players spamming the voice messages and doing synchronised dancing. It was totally bizarre yet good fun and I joined in. We were acting the arse so much we ran the timer down on the boss and failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

See that's what can be fantastic about multiplayer, randomly teaming up with strangers and doing crazy stuff. Not the whole rage quit, ur a fag lol crap.

In other news, first we had hundreds of thousands of people playing pokemon together in twitch and now we have a fish playing.

http://kotaku.com/a-real-fish-appears-to-be-playing-pokemon-right-now-1617599465

This future is now people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Myrddin wrote: »
    Just finished taking an inventory of all my games. I done this before but never bothered to upkeep it making it redundant, so this time I'm gonna stick with it.

I'm using Google Sheets to handle the files (spreadsheet for each system)
    Why don't you use Backloggery? I find that site really handy for keeping track of stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Right, I really don't want to be turning this thread into the Moto G thread,
    but I just discovered you can buy the new 4G version with SD slot for €170 delivered from Meteor making it the best deal atm!

https://store.meteor.ie/phones/pay-as-you-go-phones/moto-g

Nobody else seems to have posted it in the threads, it almost feels too good to be true to be the first one to post about it! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Sera wrote: »
    Why don't you use Backloggery? I find that site really handy for keeping track of stuff

I did, I remember you telling me about it before, think it was up in Cidermans place. I now fear I may never clear my backlog.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRyunop7HoVONFY-jFZcKPNjcQ_egL6vCTBjvFFgjXTlsUp3qa66Q

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Was using a very old Nokia and finally bought a new phone a few months ago. The Moto G is actually a rare bargain and android is really excrllent :) highly recommend

I can also finally download apps now i have a smartphone. MemoZy is a cool note taker and FA-Tool is made by a boards member and is truely genius, its a frame data tool for street fighter 4, its handy as hell.

Doge wrote: »
    Right, I really don't want to be turning this thread into the Moto G thread,
    but I just discovered you can buy the new 4G version with SD slot for €170 delivered from Meteor making it the best deal atm!

https://store.meteor.ie/phones/pay-as-you-go-phones/moto-g

Nobody else seems to have posted it in the threads, it almost feels too good to be true to be the first one to post about it! :p

Only thing about that is it says external memory not supported in the tech specs, maybe it's a mistake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'll echo everything Waveform/the unintelligible dog is saying, I'm still blown away by the moto G's cost versus performance - it really is a bargain. Been convincing everyone in the market for a new phone to get one.

I rarely buy a new phone and can see this one lasting years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'll echo everything Waveform/the unintelligible dog is saying, I'm still blown away by the moto G's cost versus performance - it really is a bargain. Been convincing everyone in the market for a new phone to get one.

I rarely buy a new phone and can see this one lasting years.

Broke my S4 screen and yet to fix it.
    Perhaps I won't and will get a Moto G instead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I was buying a new phone and the moto was the one I was told to get.

I ended up getting the LG G2 after a lucrative naked weekend. Its a beast!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That's a beautiful phone alright.
    I have another year on contract with this one so unless it's a cheap handset I'll be staying with the S4.
    it's just ssuch a boring handset.
    It's a cracking phone, just utterly uninteresting.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Do they all (android) not basically do the same thing though?

Master of the Universe

I ended up getting the LG G2 after a lucrative naked weekend. Its a beast!

See, there was a time when that above post would have made me think something like 'oh Jack Burton, you silly sausage, pull the other one'

Now the sausages are no longer silly and that post has an entirely different meaning :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

That's not a sausage you want to be pulling on...

That's a beautiful phone alright.
    I have another year on contract with this one so unless it's a cheap handset I'll be staying with the S4.
    it's just ssuch a boring handset.

My friend worked in a phone tech centre up to a few months ago and he swears by the S4, says the S3 and S5 have problems but S4 is the shizzle!

Personally I always tend to get good phones because I use them in place of a lot of other electronics. Music, camera, gps etc the G2 is a cracker of a phone but the only thing is that it feels cheap, wont make a difference when my case arrives but still, the back of it feels like a gamestop brand ps2 controller
    See, there was a time when that above post would have made me think something like 'oh Jack Burton, you silly sausage, pull the other one'

Now the sausages are no longer silly and that post has an entirely different meaning

I just used some of that money to pay for an order of timber......should I make a joke about wood?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Yes pretty much, in the same way all TVs do basically the same thing aswell (not being smart). :)

I've heard nothing but great things about the MotoG too, had a go of one a while back and it's very slick for that price range. If you're thinking of getting a first smartphone then I'd defo go with an Android device of some kind. There are plenty of cheaper ones than the MotoG that work perfectly fine too so it just depends on your needs really.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Yes pretty much, in the same way all TVs do basically the same thing aswell (not being smart). :)

I'm obviously just not even in the loop here regarding phones :o But as I understand it, all android based phones run the same OS (barring updated versions etc) so is it not really just the technical specs that differentiate them? I don't get what makes one android based phone more interesting over another one :o Is it that newer phones run more modern versions of android that support more features etc?

Different versions of andriod and they are all similar but different companys will have their own "custom" versions of the OS.

The real exciting part of andriod phones is over on places like XDA developers, lads over there cook up some awesome roms that imo blow the stock ones out of the water

• Advertisement

Different versions of andriod and they are all similar but different companys will have their own "custom" versions of the OS.

Ahhh, I did not know that. I see now :o
    The real exciting part of andriod phones is over on places like XDA developers, lads over there cook up some awesome roms that imo blow the stock ones out of the water

custom roms...stock roms....hmmm, & I'm back to being lost again :(

Basically the same as you putting the english rom into the mother 2 cart, basically the same thing with a few changes and tweaks etc

Except for phones people will make thier own OS based on andriod for different features, some of them are lite versions so better battery life etc and some will be based on other phones OS and others will be really heavy on media features etc. It seems daunting but dont worry about all that yet

I'm obviously just not even in the loop here regarding phones :o But as I understand it, all android based phones run the same OS (barring updated versions etc) so is it not really just the technical specs that differentiate them? I don't get what makes one android based phone more interesting over another one :o Is it that newer phones run more modern versions of android that support more features etc?

Only the Nexus range of Android phones run stock Android OS, they will also get the latest updates first (imo, the best Android phones). Don't quote me on this but afaik all others have a modified version of the OS - phone manufacturers like to have their own Android flavour so to speak (nothing wrong with that either).

The wife got one of those Huawei android phones recently as her first smartphone, €60 I think it was from O2 and does everything she needs - Calls/Texts/Gmail/Google Calendar/Docs etc. Personally I wouldn't use it as it's not stock Android and doesn't give you the freedom to mess about as much as you want - but that's just because I was used to a Nexus phone. Having said that, I got bored and moved to a Window Phone recently and love it (Lumia 630) but still have my Nexus 7 tablet for proper browsing/movie watching etc. I'd still recommend Android as a first smartphone.

You'd obviously also have hardware differences between Android phones too ofc - screen size/resolution, camera(s) quality, 3G/4G, RAM, processor, the works.

Ok so when you see something referred to as a custom rom, it's a customised version of the android os that the phone is running? I see, cool. Cheers folks. I was actually looking at those Huawei phones a while ago, they seem pretty good value for what you get?

My friend worked in a phone tech centre up to a few months ago and he swears by the S4, says the S3 and S5 have problems but S4 is the shizzle!?

Nope,
    It has a common battery issue, requiring it's replacement.
    The battery swells and doesn't hold a charge, and this happened to me within three weeks of buying it.
    It just needed replacement but, nevertheless, the folk in wherever Carphone Warehouse send their stuff wiped the whole thing, dipsticks!
    Then, as a more serious issue, the proximity sensor is located right next to the earpiece, meaning that dust, wax and other crap gets in and dirties up the sensor window meaning it won't show the screen during calls and, with the first Android update I received, I can't turn this function off.
    Also, the swipey, gestural functions are utter rubbish.
    I installed Cyanogenmod instead and it's much better and faster, none of the un-uninstallable rubbish clogging up the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Echo the positivity of o1s1nPhone. Had an 800, 925, 1020 and 1520 and all of them have been excellent. Especially for enterprise they are nearly perfect.

Still have my Note 3 as a personal phone with the Gear 2 Neo riding in the sidecar. Love them both. Especially using the Neo 2 to switch over the Sky box in the pub to the football match I want to see. :D

Ordered a Xiaomi MiPad earlier this week after all the positive buzz about them. Amazing price for one of, if not the best specced tablets in the 7-9" market available today.

If the MiPad is any use I might see if a OnePlus or a Mi4 is worth getting over the Note 4. Will probably get a Note 4 though, the 3 is epic. Love this blower. :)

Ok so when you see something referred to as a custom rom, it's a customised version of the android os that the phone is running? I see, cool. Cheers folks. I was actually looking at those Huawei phones a while ago, they seem pretty good value for what you get?

Yeah I think it's the Huawei Ascend Y330 she got for €60, it's very good for that price, has a microSD slot so you can expand on the 4GB space. The only slight downer is it doesn't have a flash for the camera - but that's only an issue if you plan on taking pictures in low light (or just use a proper camera :P). Obviously the specs don't compare to something that costs €200 - €500 but that's the same with anything really.

We're actually moving over to Tesco mobile as O2 are robbing gits, also, 4 - 14 days for an unlock code ffs? (off topic but needed to vent :pac:).

Only thing about that is it says external memory not supported in the tech specs, maybe it's a mistake?

They just haven't updated the tech specs since they had the older Moto G on that page, the URL is the same as the one for the old phone. :P

I just hope it actually is the new 4G model and not some big mistake!

Broke my S4 screen and yet to fix it.
    Perhaps I won't and will get a Moto G instead!

Just remember that you're going from a €500 euro phone down to a €150 phone, so don't expect the same performance. :P

The Moto G's camera is extremely average, just like any other camera in a €150 phone. It's the processing power and screen that make it worth much more.

Essentially yes, but a lot of manufacturers add on their own Bloated User Interface and have ****ty apps pre-installed that you don't need, that just slow the phone down. Samsung in particular are notorious for it.

The advantage of getting a phone/tablet with "Stock Android" is that you're getting the purest, leanest and fastest android experience.

And since the Moto G is essentially made by Google, you will get updates much faster, and that applies to most stock android phones also.

Google sold Motorola to Lenovo recently, but they'll still support the phone for about 2 years and control all the updates.

Only the Nexus range of Android phones run stock Android OS, they will also get the latest updates first (imo, the best Android phones). Don't quote me on this but afaik all others have a modified version of the OS - phone manufacturers like to have their own Android flavour so to speak (nothing wrong with that either).

The wife got one of those Huawei android phones recently as her first smartphone, €60 I think it was from O2 and does everything she needs - Calls/Texts/Gmail/Google Calendar/Docs etc. Personally I wouldn't use it as it's not stock Android and doesn't give you the freedom to mess about as much as you want - but that's just because I was used to a Nexus phone. Having said that, I got bored and moved to a Window Phone recently and love it (Lumia 630) but still have my Nexus 7 tablet for proper browsing/movie watching etc. I'd still recommend Android as a first smartphone.

You'd obviously also have hardware differences between Android phones too ofc - screen size/resolution, camera(s) quality, 3G/4G, RAM, processor, the works.

I really wish I saw this post before I typed the big essay in my last post! :P

Master of the Universe

I now know what I need to aspire to.

goldtiles_zps1ac08dc0.jpg

• Advertisement

Monkeykube wrote: »
    I did, I remember you telling me about it before, think it was up in Cidermans place. I now fear I may never clear my backlog.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRyunop7HoVONFY-jFZcKPNjcQ_egL6vCTBjvFFgjXTlsUp3qa66Q
    I won't either but it helps me to stop buying doubles, it happened twice already (>ω<)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I now know what I need to aspire to.

goldtiles_zps1ac08dc0.jpg

He should just go and build a Faraday cage out of some chicken wire and sit inside it.

Could have saved himself a fortune.

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

If you have an iOS device then Swordigo is a great little game and is free at the moment:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id499125840?mt=8

I just spent a couple of hours trying to get Forge to work in my sons Minecraft install.
    Whoever says modern PC gaming is just plug and play can kiss my shiny metal ass!
    Still not working, btw, despite multiple installs and updated Java, feck!

I just spent a couple of hours trying to get Forge to work in my sons Minecraft install.
    Whoever says modern PC gaming is just plug and play can kiss my shiny metal ass!
    Still not working, btw, despite multiple installs and updated Java, feck!

I rember having a big disagreement with Dcully about this in one of the other gaming forums a good few years back.

He was in PC Gaming master race mode and having none of it!

The biggest headache i ever had was trying to get Dirt 3 to work with my PS2 to USB adapter.

That game simply will not support any controllers apart from the specific ones listed in its an XML file.

Tried all sorts of editing and hacking and could not get it work!

Using an Xbox 360 controller certainly helps with PC games these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Download/Buy PC game, configure PC game, play PC game.

I rarely have any issues unless I'm trying some mod/hacks on a game.

If you are into Minecraft then Forge is an essential part of the scene.
    Yes, it is all about mods and sometimes these lead to clashes and problems, but it'd be kinda nice to get that far, instead of the Forge login in simply dumping you back on the start page.
    I'm told it's a Java error but I've checked the version, even updated to the latest confirmed working version and, no dice.

The guys on the Minecraft forum sorted me out, I am now a hero to Ciderman the Younger.

Also, just watching Space Pirate Captain Harlock, the recent movie version.
    Pretty nice looking tbh.
    Dubbed edition so sorry there purists!

Dubbed edition so sorry there purists!

jwdrp.gif

• Advertisement

Finally faced my fear and made a video for my Arcade repair guru friend in the U.S.

Took about 20 takes and my accent sounds terrible bit its a start! :p

I need to find my broadcasting voice, I find my accent is much more neutral when I'm talking about something I'm passionate about with open minded people, but at home talking to a camera is more awkward and the strong accent comes out!

If i do a proper in depth review of the Gameclip i'll put on a more suitable voice, this was more of an informal comversation.

LOL, i can totally hear myself saying "Hey Spash" instead of "Hey Smash" at the start of the video.

Always had a dry throat, and unmerciful thirst for water growing up, found it hard swallow dry food without washing it down with a drink.

Had thyroid problems too last year which doesnt help.

I should really get my throat checked out.

I find 20 minutes into yoga gets rid of the dryness but it doesn't last long enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

LOL, i can totally hear myself saying "Hey Spash" instead of "Hey Smash" at the start of the video.

Always had a dry throat, and unmerciful thirst for water growing up, found it hard swallow dry food without washing it down with a drink.

Had thyroid problems too last year which doesnt help.

I should really get my throat checked out.

I find 20 minutes into yoga gets rid of the dryness but it doesn't last long enough!

Squirt some honey into a bottle of still water and gargle it, works wonders for me. Voiceover work is something I'm pursuing at the mo so little things like that really help when you're talking for ages. Most people hearing their own voice have that cringe moment as what you hear in your head is totally different to what others hear. Worked in a call centre for years so heard my own voice played back to me loads so well over that.

I can drop my accent doing character or cartoony voices but find it hard to speaking naturally. I was talking to someone who works in the industry over here and my Irish accent will be a hurdle getting work with American/Canadian productions unless they're looking for an actual Irish accent and not a mangled "Irish" accent. (looking at you Ubisoft!)

krudler wrote: »
    Squirt some honey into a bottle of still water and gargle it, works wonders for me. Voiceover work is something I'm pursuing at the mo so little things like that really help when you're talking for ages. Most people hearing their own voice have that cringe moment as what you hear in your head is totally different to what others hear. Worked in a call centre for years so heard my own voice played back to me loads so well over that.

I can drop my accent doing character or cartoony voices but find it hard to speaking naturally. I was talking to someone who works in the industry over here and my Irish accent will be a hurdle getting work with American/Canadian productions unless they're looking for an actual Irish accent and not a mangled "Irish" accent. (looking at you Ubisoft!)

Thanks for the help man!

Since I haven't taken the video down already, i think I'm finally getting more comfortable hearing how different my voice i!. :pac:

I think hearing it in in a higher pitch than normal is what used freak me out, and since its recorded with a mic it tends to the sound tinny and weak as opposed to hearing the bassier tones.

I have a Samson c01u condsenser mic i'll use next time.

The Irish accent is definitely a hurdle, especially the Cork accenct since the pitch tends to fluctuate like a sine wave! :p

We tend to speak too fast and mutter too.

I always thought that rappers with a strong Irish accent sound really bad too, a neutral accent sounds so much better in rap.

I have an idea of how my voice will sound for the next video, just practiced a line or 2 there and its much more neutral.

Finally faced my fear and made a video for my Arcade repair guru friend in the U.S.

That wasn't too bad at all. But maybe give the phone a wipe before the next video. :)

Steve SI wrote: »
    Download/Buy PC game, configure PC game, play PC game.

I rarely have any issues unless I'm trying some mod/hacks on a game.

Same here, PC Gaming is more or less plug & play these days. Minecraft though can be a bit finnicky, Java updates, mods etc, but then again, it's not all for nothing...it's a better minecraft experience on pc than consoles by far.

• Advertisement

Squirt some honey into a bottle of still water and gargle it

1HTIXtj.gif

That wasn't too bad at all. But maybe give the phone a wipe before the next video. :)

I actually did, but after about 20 takes it was manky again! :p

If the camera didnt suck in low light I would have turned off the desk lamp and nobodt would have seen the fingerprints!

Nothing worse than hearing my own voice on a recording.
    I go "who is that gobsh1te?" before realising it's me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Thanks for the help man!

Since I haven't taken the video down already, i think I'm finally getting more comfortable hearing how different my voice i!. :pac:

I think hearing it in in a higher pitch than normal is what used freak me out, and since its recorded with a mic it tends to the sound tinny and weak as opposed to hearing the bassier tones.

I have a Samson c01u condsenser mic i'll use next time.

The Irish accent is definitely a hurdle, especially the Cork accenct since the pitch tends to fluctuate like a sine wave! :p

We tend to speak too fast and mutter too.

I always thought that rappers with a strong Irish accent sound really bad too, a neutral accent sounds so much better in rap.

I have an idea of how my voice will sound for the next video, just practiced a line or 2 there and its much more neutral.

I'm from Limerick but thankfully don't have a Limerick accent at all, most people think I'm from Galway or somewhere else, my accent is kinda flat and it's only when I say certain things the "Irishness" is heard.
    Canadians don't really have a problem understanding me but you definitely have to slow down how you talk and speak a bit more deliberately, Irish people do talk very fast so some of what we say becomes unintelligible to people who have a much clearer pronounciation of words.
    Best way to get used to hearing yourself is just record yourself as much as possible, if you drive yakking to yourself in the car is a great way to do it, you stop feeling anxious about hearing your own voice and it just becomes more natural.
    I was sh1tting bricks the first time I had to perform at a mic in front of a dozen people taking notes but once you get into the swing of it then it becomes fun.

Nothing worse than hearing my own voice on a recording.
    I go "who is that gobsh1te?" before realising it's me :(
    All my feels, I think recorded I sound like a man :l
    I'm from Limerick but thankfully don't have a Limerick accent
    s33.gif

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement