Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    You just like being difficult though, don't you :D

Okay lads, I shall listen to ye lot, never sent me down the wrong path :)

About time I played Super Mario 3D World anyway!

There's a goo few titles out now for it that make it worth owning, & more on the way. There's a PS4 here beside the other consoles & it's not used a whole lot...there's just not that much out for the new gen machines that make them worth owning yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Myrddin wrote: »
    If you got a PS4 over a Wii U I think we'd have to ask for your membership card back dude :o

For real though? Think all three consoles have failed to deliver, first generation I'm completely not interested in!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

The WiiU is a great console, some great games out on it. Mario Kart 8 is brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

DinoRex wrote: »
    Wii U has so much good stuff for it right now and so much just around the corner.

Sony had a good showing at Gamescom yesterday though, will definitely be something I'll want to have in 2015.

Rime looks like it will fill the Last Guardian gap nicely.

That's a beautiful looking game!
    I like the look of that P.T. demo too, which is supposedly the new Silent Hill game by Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    For real though? Think all three consoles have failed to deliver, first generation I'm completely not interested in!

As things stand, today, give me a Wii U over a PS4 every time. That will change in due course, of that there's no doubt, but right now there's no contest...to me anyway. The Wii U has had nearly two years to expand its library, & there's a solid line up of must have games for it now. The PS4 & Xbox One have the usual line up of glorified tech demos (some exceptions like Resogun etc obviously), when put beside the Wii U lineup look very barren indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Star Lord wrote: »
    That's a beautiful looking game!
    I like the look of that P.T. demo too, which is supposedly the new Silent Hill game by Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro.

There's also of course Bloodborne and the new game by Michel Ancel.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    You just like being difficult though, don't you :D

Okay lads, I shall listen to ye lot, never sent me down the wrong path :)

About time I played Super Mario 3D World anyway!

A wise choice indeed. The Wii U has plenty of brilliant games to keep you going.

Nothing out on the PS4 yet that would make me fork out €400+. I'll be skipping Xbox One altogther.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Nothing out on the PS4 yet that would make me fork out €400+. I'll be skipping Xbox One altogther.

But its got a shiny "Sony" label on it, surely that's enough :D

Xbox 1- dead man walking....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

So I bought a Mega Drive on Monday from a bloke on adverts. Just the bare console with one game.

Got it for a friend of mine as he was lamenting the loss of his Mega Drive back in Brazil all those years ago. He has been playing stuff on emulators for years (the horror!)... so I knew exactly what to get him.

As you can see from the pics it was rather nasty when I bought it but the cleanup job seems to have done the trick!

Album here for anyone that's interested:
    http://imgur.com/a/0GZZY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Can't beat a good clean up :)

I've gotten into the habit of giving everything retro I buy now a decent cleaning. As in a complete strip down, wash the cases with sugersoap and a toothbrush, dust off the pcb and clean up all the external connectors.
    Keyboards get a good cleaning as they tend to be well nasty........

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

But its got a shiny "Sony" label on it, surely that's enough :D

Xbox 1- dead man walking....

I would like to get the PS4 alright, just not for a year at least (unless TLG makes an appearance sooner). I haven't been keeping uptodate with release lists for the Xbox One but the only game that interested me was that Ori indie platformer. But that will probably come out on PC so can get it then. Also really dislike the look of the console itself - reminds me of the old Sky boxes but in black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Also really dislike the look of the console itself - reminds me of the old Sky boxes but in black.

The utterly bland design of modern consoles is very off putting. I quite like the look of the PS4 as they at least tried to be a bit creative, but in the end it's still more or less a black box too.

I know this was a hoax (and it's a bit OTT with the blue lights) but would love to see a return to more creative designs.

dreamcast2.jpg

And who knows, if the thing doesn't kick off, you can sell the design to the dental community :D

atari_jaguar_dental_camera.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

The Swery game is the only thing that I'd be interested in on the Xbox One.

Looks like the new Tomb Raider will be coming to the PS4 and PC anyway now... MS must have just paid a lot of money to make it look as exclusive as possible without it being actually exclusive. They sort of had everyone fooled for about 24 hours there, so money well spent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, from a miserable old git point of view, I welcome the alleged unpopularity of the XB1.
    It'll make the device cheaper to buy, preowned, next year, I'm not planning on spending more than €300 for one with a game or two, given the more popular PS4 cost €350 with two games.
    I reckon by Spring 15 there'll be enough exclusives to make it a worthy purchase and enough narrow minded folk trying to shift them thinking the PS4 is an infinitely better machine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Temple of Osiris is the only Tomb Raider sequel I have much interest in playing anyway, given the 'reboot' game self-destructed into mindless corridor shooting shenanigans after about an hour. Guardian of Light, on t'other hand, was a quirky and fun spin on the series formula. It also featured significant amounts of both tombs and raiding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Can't beat a good clean up :)

I've gotten into the habit of giving everything retro I buy now a decent cleaning. As in a complete strip down, wash the cases with sugersoap and a toothbrush, dust off the pcb and clean up all the external connectors.
    Keyboards get a good cleaning as they tend to be well nasty........

Ah hem excuse my ignorance
    Hate to be a dumbass:( what is sugarsoap i never heard of the stuff before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

crasy dash wrote: »
    Ah hem excuse my ignorance
    Hate to be a dumbass:( what is sugarsoap i never heard of the stuff before?

It's a cleaning solution available at any DIY store. Good stuff for washing away grease and grime.

Cheers for the quick repsonse must find some:)

Is pure alcohol best for cleaning circuit boards etc have a c64 thats in a mouldy state want to clean it up before i power it on

I know a few people on here have C64's, they may be able to answer your question about cleaning the inner workings. I have used alcohol before on cart terminals and cartridge slots on consoles. I never had the need to clean anything else inside the console itself, I'm not sure it would even need cleaning, maybe a bit of dust build up a can of compressed air would sort out. Did you strip it down yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I like to keep things nice and clean :)

DSC_0836b.jpg

DSC_0837b.jpg

• Advertisement

Monkeykube wrote: »
    I know a few people on here have C64's, they may be able to answer your question about cleaning the inner workings. I have used alcohol before on cart terminals and cartridge slots on consoles. I never had the need to clean anything else inside the console itself, I'm not sure it would even need cleaning, maybe a bit of dust build up a can of compressed air would sort out. Did you strip it down yet?

I have stripped it now just to look inside to see how bad it was.
    It has been a while since i used it and if i remember correctly i was having controller input problems on it and boxed it due to lack of time ,now i have plenty of time though:(

If anybody has help or tips feel free to pm do not want to take this thread off course

Steve SI wrote: »

Could the same be done on the C64, I have heard of people using dishwashers before after leakages from components. Thought it may have been a little over the top for this though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Temple of Osiris is the only Tomb Raider sequel I have much interest in playing anyway, given the 'reboot' game self-destructed into mindless corridor shooting shenanigans after about an hour. Guardian of Light, on t'other hand, was a quirky and fun spin on the series formula. It also featured significant amounts of both tombs and raiding.

It started off so well too, then just fell into more and more "enter area, clear area of soldiers, rinse repeat until you climb something or solve easy puzzle" Same as Unccharted 3. The big setpieces mean more when there's plenty of downtime between them. Levels like in Uncharted 2 where you're guiding Drake around that frozen temple are way more involving than just gunning down wave after wave of generic soldiers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

For a moment there I thought that phrase was going to be followed by photos of a man scrubbing his nethers with bleach and steel wool!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    For a moment there I thought that phrase was going to be followed by photos of a man scrubbing his nethers with bleach and steel wool!

I guess I could PM them to you if you want :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Got my customs bill. 30 euros. Brings the game I got into earthbound prices. Damn thought I'd gotten a bargain :)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Got my customs bill. 30 euros. Brings the game I got into earthbound prices. Damn thought I'd gotten a bargain :)

What did you pick up? Customs seem to be opening everything these days, fed up of seeing green and white tape on deliveries.:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It was sent by EMS who of course handed it into customs.

It was Majyuuou for the SNES. It's one of my favourites but very expensive. It's like if you made a castlevania game but with the visuals of a shin megami tensei game.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/majyuuou/majyuuou.htm

The screen shots look really nice, reminds me of Konami stuff alright, I can see a bit of Contra III in there too. The price of Super Famicom games seem to heading skyward, especially so on the games that you don't see too often. Do ems charge a extra handling charge when it goes to customs, it must be in their interests in some way. It's a pain getting stung but it's a nice game to add to the collection.

• Advertisement

I find the super famicom stuff still much more reasonable than western stuff.

That game actually went down in price so I jumped on it. There were some copies for about 110 where previously it was around the 200+ mark. It's a genuine rarity as well, not many copies of it around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just back from Guardians Of The Galaxy

I fully approve of Damos name change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I never had anything sent through ems held by customs thankfully

I find the super famicom stuff still much more reasonable than western stuff.

Very true, it's the way to go, the whole pitney bowes thing has fecked up getting stuff from the U.S. through ebay. I sold what pal snes games I had and replaced them with sfc games over the years. They're a lot more affordable and I prefer the box art.

Very true, it's the way to go, the whole pitney bowes thing has fecked up getting stuff from the U.S. through ebay. I sold what pal snes games I had and replaced them with sfc games over the years. They're a lot more affordable and I prefer the box art.

I got an email from Ebay yesterday about updated terms etc, I only scanned over it but that global shipping thing seems to be coming to the UK? Granted I don't think it'll affect us here in the EU except for the 3rd party shipping company ripping out good packaging & replacing it with their own limited packing

Myrddin wrote: »
    I got an email from Ebay yesterday about updated terms etc, I only scanned over it but that global shipping thing seems to be coming to the UK? Granted I don't think it'll affect us here in the EU except for the 3rd party shipping company ripping out good packaging & replacing it with their own limited packing

If sellers have any sense they will avoid it, too many horror stories about removing packaging to reduce weight like you said. I think someone said the Nintendo shop in the UK won't deliver to Parcel Motel anymore. I just hope Ebay don't block it too if they think they are loosing out. The higher the shipping the more they make on paypal payments after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

It was Majyuuou for the SNES. It's one of my favourites but very expensive. It's like if you made a castlevania game but with the visuals of a shin megami tensei game.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/majyuuou/majyuuou.htm

Decent import price if cart-only, fantastic price if boxed!

There's a huge drop-off in price in Japan for cart-only games - picked up Hagane for 20-30 euro (I think) last year, while boxed copies (in the over-priced Akiba shops) were going for hundreds (200-300 I think, but memory is sketchy)

Obviously as a collector that's important, but if your only concern is getting to play them in their original form then it's great

Master of the Universe

You got Majyuuou? You lucky fecker! I've wanted that for ages.

Actually the reason I haven't bought it yet is I absolutely love the artwork and want a CIB copy. But it's stupidly expensive.

Master of the Universe

Did anyone go and see Spirited Away in The Screen last night? I completely forgot it was on, thought the Ghibli season didn't start until September!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Do you know those times when you get the impression you're legitimately getting trolled by some mysterious corporate entity?

Just saw this after our conversation the other day: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-power-rangers-movie-to-hit-theaters-july-2016-20140813-story.html

Power Rangers. Hitting a screen near you in 2016. Despair.

It's morphin' time

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

You'd need it to be 'Morphine time' to sit through that garbage.

Probably no worse than the rest of the tripe out there, Battleship anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Power Rangers RPM was a competent, sometimes good yarn. Granted, the corresponding Sentai was the most mismatched yet. The US version was this ragtag band of teens trying to stave off the inevitable extinction of the human race, having already seen loved-ones and cities obliterated at the hand of the risen robots.....their corresponding powers involves turning into sports cars.

It also has the notable exception of being the only self-aware Rangers series ever. It was meant to be the last, I believe. Similar to In Space a decade odd prior, that sees the series actually approach watchable in the face of cancellation and the inroads gained buy it another 10 years of badly-localized, timeslot fillers.

Linkara's seemingly dormant History of the Power Rangers series is very watchable, and pretty brilliant for having a career critic actually analyze stuff that most'd consider unwatchable.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/linkara/hopr

Does anyone know what actually happens if you get something delivered to Parcel Motel and you get stung for customs? I've had a few bits sail through but have a feeling I won't be so lucky this time.

Do they outright refuse it and return to sender or what happens?

Does anyone know what actually happens if you get something delivered to Parcel Motel and you get stung for customs? I've had a few bits sail through but have a feeling I won't be so lucky this time.

As far as I know it's

Anybody you could send it to in the U.K. and get it from them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

According to their T&C's they outright refuse to accept the parcel and leave it with whomever is the company responsible for delivering it to you.

Could get messy... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Hooked my SNES up to a recently bought cheaper LCD and for the life of me I can't remember the best way to connect the leads.

I think it's the RGB cable that gives the best picture right? I know the old CRT's will be a better experience of course, but no access to one at the moment.

I was looking at something like this, but I could be completely wrong:

scart7.jpg

What are all the options for connecting a SNES to an LCD? Best quality to worst quality etc. Don't think my TV has S-Video either.

Thanks folks.

I've asked the sender to mark it as a low value gift. So hopefully it makes it through ok. It's coming from Kazakhstan and it's a couple of circuit boards and wires so customs will have a field day if they open it :)

I've a repro genesis cart coming from the states as well, that might get caught in the customs net as well :(

Edit:
    The repro is Bills Tomato Game by the way. Its an unreleased game so not sure if repro is the right word.

I've asked the sender to mark it as a low value gift. So hopefully it makes it through ok. It's coming from Kazakhstan and it's a couple of circuit boards and wires so customs will have a field day if they open it :)

Hopefully it won't end in a controlled explosion:pac: I hope it makes it through unscatched. It will be interesting to see the ultimate 3do when it's all set up, were you saying something about a Dreamcast usb loader from that lad as well?

Hopefully it won't end in a controlled explosion:pac: I hope it makes it through unscatched. It will be interesting to see the ultimate 3do when it's all set up, were you saying something about a Dreamcast usb loader from that lad as well?

Yeah, I bought the 3DO FZ1 and Dreamcast USB Host Controllers from him. I think he only made 8 of the DC ones :)

http://renovation-3do.narod.ru/USB-GDROM_Controller.htm

P1011807_2.jpg

http://renovation-3do.narod.ru/USB_Host_for_FZ01.htm

P1011796_2.jpg

It'll be a tight squeeze getting the DC hard drive mounted internally as the guy just loves external storage and hasnt left much room to internally fit a USB cable.

If anyone is buying from him it's a bit of a pain with payment as Paypal isn't allowed in his country. But we managed :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement