Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was thinking when I was reading your post...they never released it in 3D...but then I went along and noticed that your post is poking fun of Burton's motifs and how they seem to all happen in all his movies. So how about one that doesn't have any of those (except Helena Bonham Carter...IN MONKEY MAKE UP!)?

Actually, aside from the Depp with a funny hat and accent, which is a career choice for Depp with a variety of directors, I did enjoy the film.
    In 2D the visuals are lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

fu3857lg.jpgescape_from_new_york_reaction01__scaled_600.jpg

Basic looking but for $9.99 might be something someone wants at the below link.

http://super7store.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=reaction
    http://www.blastr.com/2014-8-15/new-line-action-figures-captures-vintage-star-wars-feel-you-crave

I mean who doesnt want a George McFly action figure :)
    fu3917lg.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They could at least have given Mal a browncoat!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Steve SI wrote: »
    fu3857lg.jpgescape_from_new_york_reaction01__scaled_600.jpg

Basic looking but for $9.99 might be something someone wants at the below link.

http://super7store.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=reaction
    http://www.blastr.com/2014-8-15/new-line-action-figures-captures-vintage-star-wars-feel-you-crave

I mean who doesnt want a George McFly action figure :)
    fu3917lg.jpg
    I didn't know Funtastic now started to make licensed figures.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Those things look wretched.
    Honestly, pound shop stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Those things look wretched.
    Honestly, pound shop stuff.

I think that's the point, they're going for crappy 80's style figures but that's the kind of "forced retro" stuff that irks me, McFarlane did a cool Snake Plisken figure years ago.

krudler wrote: »
    I think that's the point, they're going for crappy 80's style figures but that's the kind of "forced retro" stuff that irks me, McFarlane did a cool Snake Plisken figure years ago.
    Well, there's some things that deserve to remain in the past. Chuck Norris for one.

Well, there's some things that deserve to remain in the past. Chuck Norris for one.

Thankfully the internet seems to have forgotten about Norris, and good, the guy is a right wing nutjob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Actually, aside from the Depp with a funny hat and accent, which is a career choice for Depp with a variety of directors, I did enjoy the film.
    In 2D the visuals are lovely.

I know the original is no film-masterpiece, but it is a classic & does hold a dear place in my heart. This Burton version though, was total & utter garbage in comparison I thought :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »
    I know the original is no film-masterpiece, but it is a classic & does hold a dear place in my heart. This Burton version though, was total & utter garbage in comparison I thought :(

The original IS a film masterpiece! :) One of Gene Wilder's finest acting moments. He's brilliant in it. I love the moments when you see something a bit sinister starting to come through.

Depp is a pile of crap in comparison.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    The original IS a film masterpiece! :) One of Gene Wilder's finest acting moments. He's brilliant in it. I love the moments when you see something a bit sinister starting to come through.

Depp is a pile of crap in comparison.

I agree, I love the original, I just didn't know if those more knowledgeable about film than I would think so :o. Wilder is brilliant in it. The remake was atrocious I thought, seen it last night for the first time & although I hadn't heard good things about it...I didn't know it was utterly devoid of charm or character. Dreadful stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The remake (or reimagining or whatever you want to call it) is so desperate to be weird and quirky that it comes off as cold and desperate.

The original, in contrast, achieves this much more organic contrast between sweetness and darkness. The performances, the tone, the direction - they all feel so much more potently dreamlike and occasionally nightmarish.

I was actually describing the Burton versions of Alice in Wonderland.
    When it comes to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory it scores over the 70's films in two important regards, 1, it gets the title right and B, it has the actors talking in the right accents, rather than the rather bizzaro world in which Willie Wonka And the Chocolate Factory exists, with a strange mix of American actors and English faking it, like the sweet shop owner.
    That said, I still have the 70's picture OST, with the songs lifted from the movie track.
    Seen in isolation I enjoyed Burtons version but it was limited compared to the 70's film, particularly in terms of just how tormented and insane Wonka is portrayed, and the torture and misery the unworthy parents and children are put through, without apology as it's their own greed that gains them this treatment, a kinda Saw with sugar sprinkles.
    But the greed and where it gets you, and kindness and compassion, and what that should earn you that is at the core of the books, and it's evident in the early film as well.
    Seems Burton is far more acceptable to people when working from original material.
    There seems to be a backlash against Batman Returns in some quarters, which is very unfortunate, as it is a great gothic nightmare, up there with Sleepy Hollow, another film I have waited far too long to watch again.
    And how did people find Dark Shadows, given it's camp source material I quite enjoyed it, barking mad mini soap that it was and was filmed as.

I would say I've consciously noticed a very positive reappraisal of Batman Returns recently. Maybe with so many interchangeable, bland superhero movies knocking around (even the vibrant Guardians of the Galaxy suffers from having to resort to Marvel formula), Burton's go for broke Gothic world seems very refreshing and brave. Luckily, the subsequent two films haven't (and likely never will) enjoyed such fond reappraisals ;)

Alice was a painful watch though, with its obnoxious and far too artificial CG. Then there were the attempts to shoehorn in a big epic fantasy battle narrative, which seems almost mandatory in any adaptation of beloved properties these days. On the plus side, it proved the much needed breakthrough for Mia Wasikowska, who has fast become one of the most talented and ambitious young actresses around.

I love Batman Returns, there's something about the gothic and Christmas setting that makes it really watchable. Burger King apparently flipped out at the tone of the film as they had the tie in rights, so they're trying to sell toys from a summer blockbuster that begins with PeeWee Herman throwing his deformed infant into a sewer on Christmas Eve.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

There seems to be a backlash against Batman Returns in some quarters, which is very unfortunate, as it is a great gothic nightmare,

The problem with Tim Burtons Batman is that he is more interested in the Villians than Batman. Batman is hardly in Batman Returns, its all Selina Kyle or oswald running for mayor etc, I think he finds the villians more interesting than the hero.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

keithgeo wrote: »
    The problem with Tim Burtons Batman is that he is more interested in the Villians than Batman. Batman is hardly in Batman Returns, its all Selina Kyle or oswald running for mayor etc, I think he finds the villians more interesting than the hero.

Well other than the origin story batman is just some vigilante dressed as a bat and gets pretty boring. It's a problem with most superheroes, the Gillian's are always more interesting.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well other than the origin story batman is just some vigilante dressed as a bat and gets pretty boring. It's a problem with most superheroes, the Gillian's are always more interesting.

When he's done right he isn't boring though. Superman has a great mythology and origin story, but once he becomes Superman filmmakers don't take any risks with him. Hopefully Batman vs Superman will mix it up but I won't hold my breath. The prospect of Batman beating the everloving crap out of Superman will be great if they do it right though.

One thing I really, really wish they'd stop doing in Hollywood is the superhero origin story. Was there REALLY a need to redo the entire Spider-Man origin again in the Andrew Garfield one? Who doesn't know the basics behind Spider-Man? awkward teen+ radioactive spider= superhero. Look at Blade, the origin is done in the opening credits and dialogue/flashbacks, no need to spend the first hour setting him up, hes Blade from the beginning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

From what I've read so far, Batman v Superman seems to be along the lines of the Dark Knight Returns animated movies, with the Justice League long finished and Batman being much older. It makes sense with how they plan to shoehorn all of the other Justice League members in.

• Advertisement

One thing I really, really wish they'd stop doing in Hollywood is the superhero origin story. Was there REALLY a need to redo the entire Spider-Man origin again in the Andrew Garfield one? Who doesn't know the basics behind Spider-Man? awkward teen+ radioactive spider= superhero. Look at Blade, the origin is done in the opening credits and dialogue/flashbacks, no need to spend the first hour setting him up, hes Blade from the beginning.
    Because Sony wanted to make Spiderman be Peter's "destiny", which is something that undermines what Spiderman is all about. God, I hate that movie with a passion!

Also, just watched Thor: The Dark World...rather poor showing from Marvel, I must say.

I thought Dark World was good, what was wrong with it? Aside from an underused turn from Ecclestone.

Because Sony wanted to make Spiderman be Peter's "destiny", which is something that undermines what Spiderman is all about. God, I hate that movie with a passion!

Also, just watched Thor: The Dark World...rather poor showing from Marvel, I must say.

Ugh yeah that whole his parents being responsible guff.

The Dark World had it's moments I thought, Loki is brilliant in it and the portal-esque climax was fun but it was a bit all over the place for most of it. I like all the Asgard stuff though.

I would looove to see a big budget, proper version of Masters of the Universe on the same scale as Thor, if it was done right it could be brilliant. hell Chris Hemsworth would even make a great He-Man, although it'd be a very similar role to Thor.

Mother of glob, a He Man movie?
    I think I would just pack up and move to another universe if such a thing came to pass....
    I was too old for the cartoon first time around, having moved onto Macross at that point.
    I feel, with He Man, the show was a vehicle for toys, and while Macross came with it's toy based material, it followed and became popular rather than being a big advert for plastic figures.

Though I always wanted my own Veritech Fighter :(
    I want one still :(

304468160_ff494cc80f.jpg

Link to major WANT!!!

$_57.JPG

Mother of glob, a He Man movie?
    I think I would just pack up and move to another universe if such a thing came to pass....
    I was too old for the cartoon first time around, having moved onto Macross at that point.
    I feel, with He Man, the show was a vehicle for toys, and while Macross came with it's toy based material, it followed and became popular rather than being a big advert for plastic figures.

Though I always wanted my own Veritech Fighter :(
    I want one still :(

Nearly evey 80's cartoon was an advert for toys :pac: Transformers, My Little Pony, MASK, Thundercats etc etc. Most of them seriously don't hold up to rose tinted glasses removal either, Transformers the movie is still a million times better than the live action ones though.

There was a fan scipt for He-Man floating around years ago that dropped all the cheese and kiddy stuff and went into the mythology of Eternia and stuff, think Conan The Barbarian in a sci-fi setting. I'm a sucker for big space opera style stuff so something along those lines could be brilliant. At one point there was talk of doing a He-Man movie and the guy who directed Justin Bieber's movie and Step Up 4 or something was directing, good jesus...

I'd have to have a gun pointed at my head to see it, and I've seen Transformers 4!
    And even then the bullet may be preferable!
    If they want to do an original story of a Conan type in a sci fi setting go for it, but the whole He Man thing, just makes me cringe.

Space Station 76 looks great but I'd love to see a straight updating of Space 1999 to be honest.
    Maybe a version of the Sector General books by the Ulster writer James White, they were very well received and would lend themselves well to either a movie franchise or a tv one.
    link
    I read a bunch of them about ten years ago, a haul from a mates library of paperbacks he was disposing of, and mighty fine they are too.
    A hospital in space theme, kinda ER crossed with DS9, but started in 1962, before Star Trek was written.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

I received one of these today, a WV70+. I bought it based solely on this video. It is without doubt the best unboxing and product test review ever to grace YouTube or any other medium.

FACT.

At this point they should just kill the reboot of Spiderman.
    Head off and so something interesting with their other Marvel franchises and drop an older Garfield, actor not the cat, back into the other series as they are doing with Batman, no need for exposition, if there is a person who doesn't know where Spiderman is from they are unlikely to be the target market!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I didn't think I could love JT more than I do now but ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Sera wrote: »
    I didn't think I could love JT more than I do now but ...

Could you please remind me to watch his videos next week when I'm not wwoofing?
    Only saw 2 videos so far.
    kthxbai

I thought Dark World was good, what was wrong with it? Aside from an underused turn from Ecclestone.
    The Dark World had it's moments I thought, Loki is brilliant in it and the portal-esque climax was fun but it was a bit all over the place for most of it. I like all the Asgard stuff though.

I would looove to see a big budget, proper version of Masters of the Universe on the same scale as Thor, if it was done right it could be brilliant. hell Chris Hemsworth would even make a great He-Man, although it'd be a very similar role to Thor.
    Well, the villain for one, as you said Cider. Somehow they managed to make a villain less interesting than Loki. And I don't care what anyone says, Loki is just an unintimidating, fop of a villain who never seems to pose any real threat in anything he's in (not even in Avengers, which I also didn't care for). I just cannot understand the popularity he has. Thor isn't much better himself. While they at least had a bit of fun with the hole "fish out of water" aspect in the first movie, this time around, the lack of that just shows how much of a bland character he is.

The action itself isn't very engaging either, seemingly by the numbers (probably to do with a guy who's only real directorial experience is on television). Say what you will about Iron Man 3, at least it's beats were entertaining, but at least Thor's action was as clear as day. No hackneyed shaky cam here. And for the first time in a Marvel movie, I can see what people mean when they say that the studio can be cheap in its productions, since most of the battles outside of Asgard and London seem to be the same locations where the Power Rangers duke it out, as well as...that elf guy's (no really, I cannot for the life of me remember his name (he's that uninteresting), so I'm just gonna call him Emperor Who, because Ecclestone) place not seeming to have any sort of lighting, which means you cannot see what's going on at times (be a shame if you went and saw it in 3D, considering those glasses would only make things worse).

Some of these aspects may have been fixed (namely in trying to flesh out the villain) by slowing the pacing down a bit and giving at least an extra half hour to the movie, because at only 2 hours, it's far too short and hurried for an ensemble fantasy (in the hopes that it might rise up to above average). So yeah...Thor: The Dark World (boy, that's a name that it lives up to in some scenes, eh? EH!?). Not exactly a high point of the series, I might say.
    Ugh yeah that whole his parents being responsible guff.
    And here I am waiting for the sequel to release on BD so I can study about what's wrong with these movies so far. ASM2's reception isn't filling me with confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

How very odd. I've watched Thor 2 recently and couldn't recall who the villain was. From reading the comics though, I'd assume it's Malekith. I enjoyed the movie, but it could have been better.

As for the newer Spider-Man movies, I just can't get in to them. I haven't watched the second one yet, but the first one was more like some sort of romantic drama than a superhero movie.

Peter Parker spent the majority of spiderman 2 crying. Absolute rubbish film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

At this point they should just kill the reboot of Spiderman.
    Head off and so something interesting with their other Marvel franchises and drop an older Garfield, actor not the cat, back into the other series as they are doing with Batman, no need for exposition, if there is a person who doesn't know where Spiderman is from they are unlikely to be the target market!

That seems to be what they're doing to some degree, the problem is Sony only has the rights to Spider-man characters so up next is a Sinister 6 movie and a Venom movie.

I think Garfield is great and they've actually got the character of Spider-man down really well. The fact that the actor can actually move in the suit as well is great and they don't rely on CGI stuntmen. It's just too bad they keep stuffing him in terrible movies that are clearly designed by committees.

DinoRex wrote: »
    That seems to be what they're doing to some degree, the problem is Sony only has the rights to Spider-man characters so up next is a Sinister 6 movie and a Venom movie.

I think Garfield is great and they've actually got the character of Spider-man down really well. The fact that the actor can actually move in the suit as well is great and they don't rely on CGI stuntmen. It's just too bad they keep stuffing him in terrible movies that are clearly designed by committees.

The last five minutes of spiderman 2 are great, where he is facing off against the Rhino, cracking jokes. Ive watched it twice and seriously as peter parker he spends the whole film crying, crying about going out with emma stone, crying about breaking up with her, crying for his
    dying friend
    , crying for his uncle and auntie, crying for his dead parents.. crying for ..
    gwen dying
    . too much crying! I think the guy could play a great spiderman, its just the story was brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

That's almost as annoying as reading about the original Prometheus script.

Just watched Coherence, wow, best mind f*ck since Primer

Is it ok to use a pal nes psu with an ntsc nes?

I would assume so, seeing as a PAL psu works on a NTSC Snes, with a change of connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Myrddin wrote: »
    Is it ok to use a pal nes psu with an ntsc nes?

Yep, I use my PAL NES supply on my US one all the time.

• Advertisement

Yep, I use my PAL NES supply on my US one all the time.

Perfect, cheers. My US Nes is in storage so I'm gonna give trout my psu which is a PAL one...just wanted to double check first :)

I'm not talking retro here but I am playing Watchdogs at the mo on PS4 and I'm finding it the most needlessly awkward game I've played in a while.
    The controls are odd, no punching or jumping.
    The multitude of presses for calling up needed functions, I'm not having fun at all, feels like a chore tbh.
    Am I alone?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I just couldn't get over how mediocre the game was. Now I'm not the biggest fan of GTA style games but this one really felt like a me too clone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yeah it was very over hyped IMO. It felt to me like those true crime games on the PS2. I just don't think ubisoft are really capable of making AAA games, at least not as big or popular as GTA. I know they have the assasins creed series but still.

Master of the Universe

Over hyped games like that always just remind me of Daikatana.

You just simply cannot hype something up to those levels and expect people to be anything but disappointed.

Copious levels of Hohokum should sort out any despair at the state of gaming caused by bland AAA open world titles.

It's not the hype, I was entirely uninterested in that.
    It just feels like another big open world game with nothing really interesting going on at all.
    Might look for a swap but sadly, on the PS4, there is not all that much to swap for!
    Might see if someone wants to trade for Wolfenstein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Unofficial HD remaster of Shenmue in the works. The guy is using the Unreal engine.

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/unofficial-shenmue-hd-remaster-in-development.html

Yeah it was very over hyped IMO. It felt to me like those true crime games on the PS2. I just don't think ubisoft are really capable of making AAA games, at least not as big or popular as GTA. I know they have the assasins creed series but still.

The first Assassins Creed was incredibly dull as well and not very good. (I still find them dull to be honest though) I think they're hoping Watch Dogs will be their new thing and they'll continue to build onto it until it's vaguely enjoyable.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Have Parcel Motel really slowed down in their turnaround time?

I thought I'd give them another try after their failed CRT delivery. Item was posted on the 13th, still no sign of it on their website. We're getting into Anpost delivery times now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement