Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Steve SI wrote: »
    Unofficial HD remaster of Shenmue in the works. The guy is using the Unreal engine.

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/unofficial-shenmue-hd-remaster-in-development.html

C&D letter in 5...4...3...2...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Nice move by PC Gamer Magazine, they included this with their feature on the Top 100 Greatest PC games:

BNOeRjpl.jpg

Mass Effect 2 at number 1 and Dark Souls at 10 is criminal though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

DinoRex wrote: »
    The first Assassins Creed was incredibly dull as well and not very good. (I still find them dull to be honest though) I think they're hoping Watch Dogs will be their new thing and they'll continue to build onto it until it's vaguely enjoyable.

The first AC was a great idea, novel setting, some at the time really nice graphics and overall had potential to be something special, but it was just bogged down in repetition and padded out beyond belief.
    I haaaate padding in games, collect 50 of this, 100 of that, chat to everyone here, gwayyy and give me a compelling story that I actually want to see through please.
    I don't mind a game having fun little secrets or hidden areas etc but when it has more of that than actual gameplay it just gets boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Steve SI wrote: »
    Unofficial HD remaster of Shenmue in the works. The guy is using the Unreal engine.

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/unofficial-shenmue-hd-remaster-in-development.html

I can't ever see that being successfully released without Sega slamming the banhammer down.

They're usually nice about fan made Sonic the Hedgehog stuff but for some reason they're very protective of the Shenmue trademark and I have no idea why.

Sumo Digital had to fight them tooth and nail to even make Ryo Hazuki as a playable character in Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing, and then again as DLC in the sequel.

Someone here might know this, trying to think of the names of two side scrolly arcade shmups from the late 80's/early 90's. one was a Gradius type where some sections of the levels involved going through really tight corridors and your ship had what were like skis on either side that made it easier, it was really fast from what I can remember. The other was like an R-Type shooter with levels that looks all biomechanical or the inside of some big creature, it's definitely not R-Type though. Can't for the life of me think of their names.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Salamander?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Salamander?

It's very similar but not that, gahh it's driving me nuts

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,040 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mr. Heli and X-Multiply?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Mr. Heli and X-Multiply?

X-Multiply looks very similar to what I'm thinking of cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Last Resort

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Just tried the demo of P.T. there...my god, I've never been so un-nerved by a game before

Monkeykube wrote: »
    Last Resort

Not that either, definitely wasnt a Neo Geo game.

So I searched high and low for a scart coupler that I bought a while ago.

It was to assist me in connecting my scart switchers to my rgb component capture device but it has since gone walkabout.

I have a feeling that the ex threw it... somewhere when tidying up. Most likely in the least logical place possible.

Anyway they're small enough that I just cannot find it.

I could order one online but I was hoping to test out streaming to twitch from my retro station soon enough.

Anybody know where I could pick one up on the cheap in the city centre? I know maplins have one but I don't fancy paying €16 or so for something I can order from the UK for €1.50.

I know I can't expect that kinda price from a shop but anything close to €5 or so would be worth the punt to me.

Thanks in advance guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Today I learnt that Street Fighter Alpha 2 was released in the Snes back in 1996, well into the arrival of next gen consoles

Looks pretty good too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,040 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There were plenty of big name SNES games like that. Sure I got Harvest Moon during the week which was a 1998 release in Europe. That's a year after FFVII and the year of MGS in japan and the US. Kirbys Dreamland 3 I think was 1997 as well in the US. Nintendo knew how to get the most out of its systems back then. The NES/Famicom was supported with games until 1994 off the top of my head, maybe beyond. 1994 was the year the PS1 was released in Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Today I learnt that Street Fighter Alpha 2 was released in the Snes back in 1996, well into the arrival of next gen consoles

Looks pretty good too.

It has those weird buffers, almost like loading sequences, at the start of every fight. It is a sexy port, regardless. Definitely one of those 'sure, we'll bang it on there as a challenge' things, seemingly; doubly strange considering the original Alpha never made it to the SNES. Granted, Alpha 2 is supposed to retcon Alpha in terms of engine and story, but still....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dreamland 3 is amazing, I have it and the visuals are very impressive, the effects they managed with the SNES are a testament to the coders art.
    But then, that was at the end of the consoles lifespan, though Super Mario World was no slouch either, and it was a launch title!

I've been building a 'wanted' list in terms of games for the console I own lately. I'm not even finished the Ninty consoles & the list is pretty big...so many games to get :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Concentrate on a top 10 or 20 for each console you have is a bit more managable

Concentrate on a top 10 or 20 for each console you have is a bit more managable

That's what I've been trying to stick to...the problem with the likes of the Snes is that there's SO many fantastic games for it. Some of them I have already, other obvious ones are missing from my collection, & others command huge prices

• Advertisement

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    It has those weird buffers, almost like loading sequences, at the start of every fight.

Apparently that was the game decompressing the sound effects and music from the cart. It had an extra chip on the cart for the compression algorithms. Not many carts used it, off the top of my head there was tales of phantasia and star ocean.

It has those weird buffers, almost like loading sequences, at the start of every fight. It is a sexy port, regardless. Definitely one of those 'sure, we'll bang it on there as a challenge' things, seemingly; doubly strange considering the original Alpha never made it to the SNES. Granted, Alpha 2 is supposed to retcon Alpha in terms of engine and story, but still....

Alpha 3 on the GBA was damn good too, Crawfish did an amazing job on it. It looks better than some 16 bit versions of older SF games.

I've been informed in the past that Alpha 3 on the GBA has Super Turbo levels of crushing AI. On the subject of which, Super Street Fighter II X: Turbo Revival on the GBA is a brilliant one too. I'd call it a port, but it was rebuilt to wrap around the architecture of the GBA; barely even notice it's a 4-buttoner with how slick they got the sensitivity down to compensate.

Sadly, with all the effort they put in that end, they left in a near-gamebreaking glitch that fecks up your stats if you've met the challenge to face Akuma.

It might be a nice one to emulate on a cab, if you have a PC wired up, have the inputs mapped to the appropriate buttons, might be worth a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I've always wanted to know how to use the internet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I've always wanted to know how to use the internet!

I like how they made it look like Dic too http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/attach/4/2/0/1/1/DIC-GI-Joe_1301610018.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Sadly, with all the effort they put in that end, they left in a near-gamebreaking glitch that fecks up your stats if you've met the challenge to face Akuma.

Not just in Alpha, I have Super Street Fighter Turbo edition on GBA and it has the exact same glitch when getting to Akuma with Ryu, really annoying though it only happens if you get through the game without loosing a round.

Hello Stranger!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Hello Stranger!

Hi Cidonaperson, was doing exams for my programming diploma the last few weeks so have not been on much.

• Advertisement

pdbhp wrote: »
    Not just in Alpha, I have Super Street Fighter Turbo edition on GBA and it has the exact same glitch when getting to Akuma with Ryu, really annoying though it only happens if you get through the game without loosing a round.

Sorry if I was unclear, I was referring to the one in SSFIIT. It still counts as an unlock, so you can face him in challenge mode.

Sorry if I was unclear, I was referring to the one in SSFIIT. It still counts as an unlock, so you can face him in challenge mode.

Nope you weren't unclear it was my amazing English reading skills that let me down.

I dunno did I post about D.I.C.E
    D.I.C.E. is Ireland's premier comic book convention and will be held on (edit - I didn't read the info just blindly copied and pasted its 27th and 28th of September 2014)
    Check the poster attached for more info on guests, I saw 2000AD and thought of here

Latest poster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Sera wrote: »
    I dunno did I post about D.I.C.E
    D.I.C.E. is Ireland's premier comic book convention and will be held on the 28th and 29th of September, 2013.
    Check the poster attached for more info, I saw 2000AD and thought of here

better dust off the old DeLorean so

Always thought that was a the dumbest name for a cinema chain ever.

MOVIES@CINEMAS

Tesco should rename themselves to FOOD@SHOPS

• Advertisement

Oh it's still early into 2014, we're all allowed to make that mistake for at least the first 9 months. It's one of the downsides to living in the distant future.

The posters are the right year just not the info on the the page :l

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,392 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Ron DMC wrote: »
    That's worth it just for Crazy Taxi.

Let's hope the soundtrack to that doesnt make it across!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Crazy Taxi was free on the iOS App Store a few months back. Apart from it being touch screen, it's pretty decent. Haven't played it too much, but I'm fairly certain it's all original.

Master of the Universe

Not a big fan of touch controls for traditional type games myself, but for $3.85 you can hardly go wrong :eek:

It's definitely worth it at that price. The touch controls work well and it's still fun to play. It has the Crazy Box missions too.

I didn't know half of those games were on mobile.

Master of the Universe

Just giving them a quick bash on my Moto G and they look to run really smooth. I still can't get my head around having a phone that can run games like this :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's a new totally new Crazy Taxi game on mobile too called Fare Wars.

Sadly, it once again shows Sega systematically mocking fans of its classic games through misjudged, shallow free to play mobile titles.

It doesn't even have any 'ya ya ya ya ya' for chrissake!

As an aside, anyone ever play Crazy Taxi 3? Always been curious about it.

As an aside, anyone ever play Crazy Taxi 3? Always been curious about it.

Yeah I have it for Xbox.

It plays rather well actually, kinda like a Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2 greatest hits kinda deal.

I played that new Crazy Taxi game once before deleting it. They were advertising it for weeks before it's release. I'm pretty sure that's why the original game was free for a while. In the end it was just another Temple Run/Minion Rush clone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Ugh. Turns out my sister is doing that Ice Challenge thing. You know, I'd rather just simply donate the money instead of embarrassing myself.

ttKirag.jpg

o1s1n wrote: »
    Just giving them a quick bash on my Moto G and they look to run really smooth. I still can't get my head around having a phone that can run games like this :eek:

Stick MAME on it, handy to have quick bashes on stuff and the touch controls arent too bad on some games.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement