Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

MrVestek wrote: »
    So this seller is annoying me on adverts.ie

http://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/dreamcast-saga-sports-limited-edition-console/6156508?notification=ccff8d0f0ce700d727317ab362101b56-1408909533#comment_34842521

Trying to pass this off as a genuine Sega Sports Limited Edition console just because it's Japanese.

The console is white on the bottom ffs! I know the bloke that sold this to him too and he told me that he never sold it under any allusions to it being genuine. The reason it has a Sega Sports body is because he couldn't remove the bottom part from the demo pod that it came from so he just transplanted it onto a regular Dreamcast because it 'looked cool'.

This has to the be the reason he won't give the console's serial number on there either.

All of my comments have been removed and I've been blacklisted by the seller... adverts won't do anything about it either.

I've reported him a few times, this time as a commercial seller... which he quite clearly is going by the amount of ads that he has open in the videogames section.

Three separate Wii consoles for sales, fully boxed? Yeah ok he's definately a private seller adverts :rolleyes:

The Sega Sports model was US only for a start, so can't be NTSC-J if genuine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Explain the cast in the talk-to Adverts forum maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

The ad is misleading, but I don't think he could be classed as a commercial seller. The seller also has N64 games that are described as new when they clearly are not. Any Dreamcast collector would know the sports edition was a U.S. release, he states it's Japanese in the comments. Maybe a super rare hybrid Dreamcast of sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

It's a genuine SAGA Dreamcast though!

It's a genuine SAGA Dreamcast though!

The whole ad is turning into a saga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

A genuine SAGA Derpcast?!

How could I not?

Does it come with SANIC THE HEDGEHOG?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

saaaaaaannnniiiiccccc the HEDGEHOG?!
    funnist sonic video i have seen in a while is the jontron video where he trys to impersonate the sonic team developers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Ok quick one for Spectrum people.

There is a "help me remember game name" thread in the Games forum but I think here will yield more fruit.

Spectrum rallying game.

I think it's Toyota Celica GT Rally Champonship :

http://youtu.be/MHg7BWBjfEE

I distinctly remember the view being like the picture attached but there was a map also so you could choose your route to the finish. And also I remember cows on the road and that would smash the window (hit a few).

So is this the game? I don't see any cows in the online videos, is there another similar game?

Thanks,
    Ed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Well, hello. Looks like Barry Lyndon is playing tonight at a quarter past one on RTE One.

Is Another World better to have on either the Snes or Megadrive (yes i know the Amiga one is prob best)..or is there much difference between the ports?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've had the Megadrive version since 1993 (!) and can confirm that it's a brilliant port.

In all this time I've never actually played the Snes version.

Both the Megadrive and Amiga use a Motorolla 68000 so I'd imagine it's probably more faithful.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've had the Megadrive version since 1993 (!) and can confirm that it's a brilliant port.

In all this time I've never actually played the Snes version.

Both the Megadrive and Amiga use a Motorolla 68000 so I'd imagine it's probably more faithful.

Cheers Dude, Megadrive it is :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Are all the console ports censored? I know they removed the female alien butt cracks on the SNES anyway.a

Also there was a Atari Jaguar port done recently.

Master of the Universe

Here's a comparison, it looks like the snes version is missing the kick ass intro and has a loading screen! :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

SNES version I think added extra sections but had a lot of censoring. Megadrive version is definitely the best. It's close to the amiga version and has better framerate.

Yeah. They wouldn't fork out for the Super FX chip on the SNES.

Master of the Universe

DinoRex wrote: »
    Yeah. They wouldn't fork out for the Super FX chip on the SNES.

Yeah, great quote from Rebecca Heineman on that

"Since Interplay wouldn't pay for a Super FX chip, I found a way to do it with static RAM on the cart and DMA which got me a great frame rate. Interplay wouldn't pay for the static RAM either, so I ended up using Fast ROM instruction. Interplay wouldn't pay for a 3.6 Mhz ROM either. So, frustrated, I shoved my block move code into the DMA registers and use it as RAM running at 3.6 Mhz. It worked. I got fast block moves on slow cartridges and made a game using polygons working on a 65816 with pure software rendering.

From that video o1s1n, the Snes version looks the more washed out of the two. Definitely Megadrive seems the better option, it's a sin to remove the intro!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Myrddin wrote: »
    From that video o1s1n, the Snes version looks the more washed out of the two. Definitely Megadrive seems the better option, it's a sin to remove the intro!

I thought you had an A600? Amiga all the way man (if it's an option). You can always use an MD pad with it if you prefer. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, that's your Blast processing right there!
    Who needs PS4 Vs XB1, when we have Snes Vs Megadrive right here!

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I thought you had an A600? Amiga all the way man (if it's an option). You can always use an MD pad with it if you prefer. :)

Nah sold that on ages ago...really don't have the space to have things like that set up anymore :( That said, I'd still love a kitted out 1200

Isn't there a Mega CD version of Another World? Along with the sequel that I know next to nothing about.

Master of the Universe

Heart of the Alien is the sequel - it's meant to be absolutely awful and the original creator of Another World completely disowned the project.

They even killed off
    Lester
    :(

Actually, will a PAL copy of Another World run at 60Hz given all the programming jiggery-pokery that was needed to get it to run at all? I'd rather the PAL name for this game over the NTSC one...but do love my 60Hz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Just get the PC version, you'll be happier in the long run!

I remember being blown away by it back on our 386 Wang PC (hehe) back in the day.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Actually, will a PAL copy of Another World run at 60Hz given all the programming jiggery-pokery that was needed to get it to run at all? I'd rather the PAL name for this game over the NTSC one...but do love my 60Hz

Nope :(

If you switch the PAL copy over to 60hz there's a weird flickering on the top 3rd of the screen.

I loved all the Delphine games back on the Amiga.

Future Wars was one of the hardest graphic adventure games I ever played. Probably took me about 3 years to complete as with the internet there was no way to get past stuff if you were stuck.

Cruise for a Corpse was brilliant too. And Flashback is probably one of my favourite games of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Was the HD remake of Flashback any use? Never played it even though I loved the original, only replayed it on the MD recently.

It's not all that great. Super buggy as well.

Think I played it up until about the 5th level and got fed up with it.

The new Strider game is really good though, that's how you do an update of a game.

The HD remastering of stuff is a welcome idea as long as they're done right or expanded upon, Double Dragon Neon was good fun. There's loads of stuff I'd love to see remastered.

• Advertisement

Nope :(

If you switch the PAL copy over to 60hz there's a weird flickering on the top 3rd of the screen.

Ah balls :( Hmm, decisions decisions....the crappy US title of the game in glorious 60Hz, or the better titled EU version locked at 50Hz...

Don't forget about the sfc version, Oisin's just a Sega fanboy:D He kicks like a cripple on that Megadrive.

Megadrive

SFC

SNES

Interesting, so the SFC version has the intro, I wonder why the hell they cut it form the Snes version so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Just messing about with the 3DO thing I got today. Very handy to be able to save the nvram saves to a file. Now no chance of my need for speed records from 1994 ever getting lost or deleted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Steve SI wrote: »
    Just messing about with the 3DO thing I got today. Very handy to be able to save the nvram saves to a file. Now no chance of my need for speed records from 1994 ever getting lost or deleted :)

Now all you need to worry about is having those records trumped by ciderman! ;)

Star Lord wrote: »
    I remember being blown away by it back on our 386 Wang PC (hehe) back in the day.

You've certainly been there, but have you worn the t-shirt?

tumblr_mrk0y8mMZ51qdgj2no1_500.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I played Another World recently, finishing it for the first time. The trial and error gameplay is a little dated although you do play it more like an adventure game than a platformer. However as a way of telling a narrative in a game it might just be still ahead of its time especially considering how clumsily modern games do it. There's no dialogue, minimally invasive cutscenes and everything is cohesive in its narrative structure. It's also a stunning looking game, the angular art style has not aged and us still as striking as it was back at release.

Master of the Universe

The cut scene close to the start where you wake in the cage and then the transition to fast action gameplay is one of my favourite moments in gaming ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

The cut scene close to the start where you wake in the cage and then the transition to fast action gameplay is one of my favourite moments in gaming ever.

Sorry to be a pimp guys but I've started streaming on twitch. I steam retro stuff so far all on the proper hardware.

Still waiting on various cables so I'm limited to N64, GameCube or Wii right now.

Anyway if you could give me a follow if appreciate it!

[url]Http://www.twitch.tv/mistervestek[/url]

Thanks all!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I played Another World recently, finishing it for the first time. The trial and error gameplay is a little dated although you do play it more like an adventure game than a platformer. However as a way of telling a narrative in a game it might just be still ahead of its time especially considering how clumsily modern games do it. There's no dialogue, minimally invasive cutscenes and everything is cohesive in its narrative structure. It's also a stunning looking game, the angular art style has not aged and us still as striking as it was back at release.

If it was made today you'd be collecting data logs left right and centre.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

What I remember most are the sound effects, especially the gun and the shield you can raise. And the crap-your-pants terror with the water part. Actually everything about the game is brilliant, really creates a great atmosphere of being on an alien planet. Super game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have to say I preferred Flashback, more of a game and less of a QTE title without the arrows and button presses onscreen.
    But both games' visuals are amazing, the limited palette in Another World is brilliant whist the changing coloyr themes in Flashback are great too, from the lush jungle to the killing gameshow.
    I suppose it was the Abe's Oddysee that represented the evolution of these two titles although I've mentioned before how much I enjoyed Fade to Black, both on PC and the superior port on the Playstation.

Lets not forget Heart of Darkness. The game Eric Chahi spent 6 years making. It would be an indie game masterpiece if it was released today, but when it was released it was unfortunately around the time people were only interested in playing 3D platformers.

Wow... didn't know about this Chahi game on the C64, you can definitely see a lot of Another World and Heart of Darkness in it:

So many good games, so little time.

Fade to Black has aged terribly and gets a very bad name lately but I remember at the time enjoying it a lot and the press raving about it. I'd file it in with Goldeneye.

I much prefer Another World to Flashback. Flashback is very 'gamey' whereas Another World is a real auteur game, pretty much a work of art rather than a videogame. Another World feels more like an adventure game whereas Flashback is a straight up action platformer. I don't really classify them together. The both came from Delphine and use a grid based collision detection system which gives games like them and Oddworld a very similar feel but they are very different games imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Kotaku with some brazen, roundabout support for the piracy of Mother 3.

http://tay.kotaku.com/you-should-try-mother-3-1626896085

And feeling like an absolute dumbass for not picking up the gun and wondering just what I was supposed to do when that alien kept shooting me in the next screen.

Wow... didn't know about this Chahi game on the C64, you can definitely see a lot of Another World and Heart of Darkness in it:

Ah!
    Now that's a game that definitely skipped under my radar.

I absolutely love the animations in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Lets not forget Heart of Darkness. The game Eric Chahi spent 6 years making. It would be an indie game masterpiece if it was released today, but when it was released it was unfortunately around the time people were only interested in playing 3D platformers.

Played it when it came out. Stone cold stunner of a game! I remember a lot of people not liking it when it came out, had a go of it not too long ago and I think it still holds up well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement