Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

urbanledge wrote: »
    So what’s making Nintendo reconsider? According to a rumor from Tilmen of NintenDomination, the new Nintendo 3DS could potentially mark the start of region-free gaming for Nintendo. The rumor also states that big changes are incoming for Nintendo Network ID, which could mean fully unified accounts with games that are tied to the account instead of the console.

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/09/is-the-new-nintendo-3ds-the-start-of-region-free-gaming-for-nintendo-rumor/

Could be hope!

It's not really starting region free gaming when the original Gameboy line and DS versions were all region free until the DSi. The 3DS being region locked was a stupid idea by Nintendo. The changes are probably because of how far behind the times they are but I'd welcome a region free console and an account system more in line with what Sony are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Has anyone ever pre ordered from the Nintendo website? If so do you know if they take payment when you order or when the item ships?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Between portable Xenoblade and region free gaming I would absolutely be up for buying a new 3ds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Myrddin wrote: »
    Ah smeg :(

I have a US GB Player but had to buy a PAL player disc.

But....

It's easy enough to chip the GC, then you can run any region you like, including the GB Disc.

But...

Remember if you leave the PAL formatted mem card in a US or Jap save will screw it up for you.

So, lots to think about there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have a US GB Player but had to buy a PAL player disc.

But....

It's easy enough to chip the GC, then you can run any region you like, including the GB Disc.

But...

Remember if you leave the PAL formatted mem card in a US or Jap save will screw it up for you.

So, lots to think about there.

Aye, I've chipped a few of them before they're handy enough. With the Wii handling all my Gamecube needs from hdd, I'm not sure about investing in the player for the gc...as I'd need to break the GC out of storage..just to play GB/A games on the big screen. Hmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Sera wrote: »
    May be staying around Frankfurt in the way to Lithuania. Any retro gaming stuff around? I thought they'd a museum there but it's Berlin (its like 5 hours away)

If memory serves me it was just a lot of big office buildings, a nasty temple bar type area and lots of sex hotels.

I was not a fan of Frankfurt. Berlin is awesome though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It is nice though, nice to know, at a moments notice, you can be playing Advance Wars on the big screen, using the actual cart with your precious save on.... you never know....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭paul_booth_fan

Seems like an appropriate place to show off what I got in the post today;
    20140903_130438_zpsrdsz0prz.jpg

I'm not really a retro gamer to be honest(I love my PS4, sorry) but this just made me giddy and nostalgic :D.

Very nice, I presume that's a US or Jap N64? OoT is one of my favourite games of all time, it's utterly brilliant (dodgy early 3d aside)

• Advertisement

If it's a US machine fix it so it'll play jap and us regions plus there's the rgb mod as well.

Myrddin wrote: »
    Very nice, I presume that's a US or Jap N64? OoT is one of my favourite games of all time, it's utterly brilliant (dodgy early 3d aside)

Yeah a US one, ridiculous 2 pin plug and all. I mentioned to my uncle that I bought it and he proceeded to tell me that he still had my original N64, with my gold controller, sitting on the unit under his tele:pac:. Completely forgot that I gave it to him years ago, ha.
    I'm almost nervous to play it again as an adult, I've such good memories of it. You should never meet your heroes after all.

If it's a US machine fix it so it'll play jap and us regions plus there's the rgb mod as well.

Not sure how much use I'll actually get outta it, bought it purely for Zelda :D. I'll definitely look into it though.

Not sure how much use I'll actually get outta it, bought it purely for Zelda :D. I'll definitely look into it though.

Mario 64, Waverace 64, 1080 Snowboarding, Pilotwings 64, what's not to love?

Mario 64, Waverace 64, 1080 Snowboarding, Pilotwings 64, what's not to love?

I completely forgot about 1080 Snowboarding, thank you :D. Eventually I'll get Mario 64 and especially Mario Karts for the kids. Probably be a little disheartening though when a game on the kids' 3ds looks better than on my console, ha. Oh oh oh, Star Wars:Rogue Squadron, loved that game. I'm already getting a lot more invested in this than I predicted:)

Couple of questions for the far more informed members here;
    1)Assuming that I'm only planning on picking up the odd game every now and then, is it worth getting the console fixed to play PAL and Jap games? Or would it be just as easy to continue buying US games?
    2)Is the RGB mod genuinely worth it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's absolutely no reason you should be buying PAL games for the N64. They are usually badly PAL optimised so will run like crap or glitchy on a US machine.

Getting your N64 to run Jap games is as easy as removing 2 plastic tabs iirc.

Also get yourself a s-video cable if you aren't going to mod it for RGB (only certain models can be RGB modded so be careful.

One other thing, you can plug in a PAL N64 power pack into a US machine so you don't have to mess around with step down converters to power it.

• Advertisement

You can't get it "fixed" to play Pal and Ntsc games, unfortunately, and games run slower and letterboxed with borders on Pal games too, so better to pick them up here and there cheaply on Ebay, you're only going to be picking up a handful and the ones you mention are common and cheap.
    The RGB mod is a godsend on the N64, the visuals on that thing tend to be murky anyway but with the mod it's a damn sight better, mine is done and it's smashing.

Another option is get an Everdrive 64, the NTSC version and load whatever games you like there, then you can play them to your hearts content on the N64, it's a special cart with an SD slot, and the rest you'll have to google for yourself, I have one and it's cracking.

I had a massive Pal game collection and N64 but they are in the process of being sold off as I have the NTSC console and an Everdrive 64 to keep me going instead.

Are you using the original US power supply with a stepdown or is there a local power supply brick in the back?
    It'll run happily on an EU power supply brick, but never plug the US one straight into a local socket or it'll be smoke and flames for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Tyrone has a very important message for you all:

Think I'll get the EU power brick from my original console my uncle still has. I'll probably go ahead and look into the RGB mod as well and now I know to stay well away from PAL games.
    Thanx for all the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Think I'll get the EU power brick from my original console my uncle still has. I'll probably go ahead and look into the RGB mod as well and now I know to stay well away from PAL games.

As a Zelda fan, you should get your hands on Majora's Mask too, it's my favourite of all the Zelda games.

Star Lord wrote: »
    As a Zelda fan, you should get your hands on Majora's Mask too, it's my favourite of all the Zelda games.

I'm too stupid to play Majoras Mask :(

• Advertisement

Don't stress too much over the RGB side of it, only certain models can be modded for it, & the svideo modded cables you can get are pretty close to RGB quality anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Nintendo are doing a Zelda yoke with their yoke all of September for the yokiebobwhatsname.... the thing.... what's it called again? I bought Kokuga on it.... :confused:

They have some other yokes on it too from Rising Star Games. :)

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Nintendo are doing a Zelda yoke with their yoke all of September for the yokiebobwhatsname.... the thing.... what's it called again? I bought Kokuga on it.... :confused:

What now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Morphine you're on is it? Can I have some?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's the yoke. :)

FYP ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Just finished the Uncharted 3 campaign and couldn't help but think that if Nathan Drake was a real person I wouldn't cross the street with him. Everything he touches either explodes, collapses or sinks...

I preferred uncharted 2 though. You spend half of your time in UC3 either running towards the camera or fighting really large men for five minutes at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Just finished the Uncharted 3 campaign and couldn't help but think that if Nathan Drake was a real person I wouldn't cross the street with him. Everything he touches either explodes, collapses or sinks...

I preferred uncharted 2 though. You spend half of your time in UC3 either running towards the camera or fighting really large men for five minutes at a time.

For a guy who has a problem with using real guns in the opening level of UC2 he happily murders a few thousand people througout the franchise :pac:

2 is the best one by far, 3 had too many dragged out combat sequences, but that whole part with the cargo plane and desert level were brilliant.

Parts of it were great, but it did feel a bit dragged out. I enjoyed the last few chapters. The horse chapter was fun. There were far too many running scenes though. Every other chapter you're running either from a group of people or a collapsing building. The stealth scenes got a bid repetitive too. I think I only got through two without being caught, and if you are caught it takes ages to get through the small army they throw at you.

• Advertisement

Also, it seems the new 3DS models will still be region locked. Just read it in yet another new 3ds article by ign.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The disconnect between gameplay and character (or, ahem, the old ludonarrative dissonance :pac:) is the biggest problem with Uncharted. Was definitely less forgiving of it with the third game, even though Drake the psychopath was definitely there in the second. I think the second was just a breath of fresh air at the time. The third didn't have that benefit of the doubt, and while it is still a high quality game in many respects it definitely felt farcically overloaded with combat.

At least The Last of Us created a world and characters where killing was part and parcel of everything (still too many fighting chambers, though) and its superb Left Behind was a significant step in the right direction. Fingers crossed some of those lessons carry over to the fourth Uncharted - Naughty Dog have the storytelling skills, they just need to go all out with the design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I never finished Uncharted 3. The Ship Graveyard and the entire militia that they throw at you there is ridiculous, with seemingly endless enemies and those shoddy shooting controls just made me give up on it.

Star Lord wrote: »
    I never finished Uncharted 3. The Ship Graveyard and the entire militia that they throw at you there is ridiculous, with seemingly endless enemies and those shoddy shooting controls just made me give up on it.

Yep, nightmare to finish. Got through half of it by swimming around and throwing them into the water. I was caught at the back when I jumped up onto the deck of the ship thinking I had gotten them all. There is a way to do it though. I did it by swimming around in the water, taking them out one by one until it was clear enough for me to climb the ladder and jump to the bar. I was killed on the bar but it had saved a checkpoint with no enemies shooting at me. The airport stealth mission is a nightmare when you get caught too.

Also, it seems the new 3DS models will still be region locked. Just read it in yet another new 3ds article by ign.

Booooo

Still want. Hopefully Tesco will be having a sale by then. :pac:

I'm back....so I bought myself a new power brick(uncle actually had my old Gamecube, not my N64) and after a bit of trial and error, I managed to connect the cables up and find the correct channel etc. The picture is in black and though :(.
    I've read that it's a relatively common issue with older consoles and newer TVs so would an S-Video cable sort it or am I just not meant to play this damn thing?

Master of the Universe

It means your TV doesn't support 60hz, only 50hz.

The usual way around that is to use an RGB cable (as RGB bypasses all of that) but seeing as the n64 doesn't support RGB... pretty sure it'll be black and white with S video too. :(

Yeah ok, it's sorted itself. For some reason, the first cable set up I tried is actually working fine now :pac:
    20140905_152901_zpsqtvwlgns.jpg
    Glorious :D

• Advertisement

What sort of cable are you using?

What sort of cable are you using?

2014-09-05-16-12-19--1665541897_zpscovasac3.jpeg

Just the basic AV cable that came new with the console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Well, eh Oops :o

My replacement turbo everdrive turned up, or rather both of them did!
    At first I thought I'd been sent two by mistake and was about to contact retrotowers to return one. But after checking my order and credit card I did buy and pay for two!

I know I have the reputation, but I really dont need two of these :D

Master of the Universe

How's the stock LCD on those? Are they usable?

Tried having a blast of Sonic the other night on the Gamegear and its rather shocking just how blurry and washed out it is. :eek:

Amazing how we've all just gotten so used to crisp handheld LCD displays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    How's the stock LCD on those? Are they usable?

Tried having a blast of Sonic the other night on the Gamegear and its rather shocking just how blurry and washed out it is. :eek:

Amazing how we've all just gotten so used to crisp handheld LCD displays.

I think you're talking about the turbo express. The LCD is good for the time but hardly useable now when we are all used to nicer screens. I really must get the LCD mod done to my one.

I assume Everdrives are a no no on the marketplace guys? Might stick this spare one on adverts :( But I'd rather it went to a regular here at a Steve SI price than a smelly adverts blow in :)

The stock Turbo Express display isn't great tbh, but with mains power supply at least it isn't gobbling batteries.
    I may get an LCD fitted as in the Nomad mod, it'd be fantastic to see those awesome games in LCD crisp-o-vision!

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »
    I think you're talking about the turbo express. The LCD is good for the time but hardly useable now when we are all used to nicer screens. I really must get the LCD mod done to my one.

I assume Everdrives are a no no on the marketplace guys? Might stick this spare one on adverts :( But I'd rather it went to a regular here at a Steve SI price than a smelly adverts blow in :)

I think an Everdrive is ok, at least it's for a retro device.
    I'll defer to the wise Myrddin for guidance on this one, we don't want to open the door for a truck load of r4 resellers!

2014-09-05-16-12-19--1665541897_zpscovasac3.jpeg

Just the basic AV cable that came new with the console.

Sort that out quick and get s-video cables. It looks like gash otherwise!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sort that out quick and get s-video cables. It looks like gash otherwise!

As I've said, I'm not a retro gamer at all. I didn't really plan beyond buying the console to be honest :). I'm undecided whether to just pick up the s-video cable or invest in the RGB mod. I know not all consoles can be modded, and I know without opening the whole unit I can't be sure, but from the serial number I think mine will be good.
    Just outta curiosity, how much would the RGB mod cost me and any recommendations as to where to get it done?

Besides, I happen to like how gash looks........:D

Besides, I happen to like how gash looks........:D

Eeeeeeyyyyyyy

Henry-Winkler-as-The-Fonz-001.jpg

I think an Everdrive is ok, at least it's for a retro device.
    I'll defer to the wise Myrddin for guidance on this one, we don't want to open the door for a truck load of r4 resellers!

Once it's not loaded with copyright protected roms, I don't see an issue. They're not illegal, & are indeed accessories for retro consoles. So no problem with them on my end. R4's etc I'm not sure about, I know essentially they're the same thing but they might be illegal here? (I think they are in the UK)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement