Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Dear lord, was Amazing Spiderman 2 terrible. You want to know just how badly Sony is handling this property? Well you know that shot in the trailers where we see Spidey about to take on The Rhino?

7g939_zps5c2a6675.gif

That's all you're gonna get out of it because that is literally the last shot of the entire movie. And pretty much an example of how Sony is treating it as nothing more than something to fill out their balance sheets and as marketing for their next 5 years of Spiderman related products.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As someone who has spent much virtual ink attacking the first one, why would you even have watched the second???

Cinema is an incredibly vast and diverse medium, no benefit getting hung up or annoyed about some superhero junk food being churned out by Hollywood. Watch something better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

As someone who has spent much virtual ink attacking the first one, why would you even have watched the second???

Cinema is an incredibly vast and diverse medium, no benefit getting hung up or annoyed about some superhero junk food being churned out by Hollywood. Watch something better :)
    I am planning on typing up an essay focusing on why those movies just don't work. Especially in comparison to the movies of the Raimi trilogy. It's gonna focus quite a bit on the characterisation of Pete and his Spidey.

Also, frowny face Denis Leary is just hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

georgestacyfilm.jpg

A couple of choice quotes that I typed up while watching ASM2:

"Wait a minute...you mean to tell me you hid tokens to a abandoned subway in a calculator where you just happened to leave a video in which you were meant to tell Peter when he's older about all this? WHAT THE HELL!? We're supposed to believe that you left no way of knowing that he was supposed to open up the calculator and then explain to him which subway to take? And then he just finds out by sheer coincidence? And furthermore, that video Richard Parker left (on a computer that's still running after over a decade of all things) pretty much confirms that Parker was genetically predestined to get these superpowers, as it describes that the spiders were only coded to work with the Parker bloodline, removing the whole accidental everyman aspect that helped define Parker. He's no longer a nobody who became a somebody, he's always been a somebody!"

"So Gwen breaks up with Peter, becomes friends, becomes boyfriend and girlfriend again in the Oscorp closet, wants to seperate again because she's going to Oxford, and PETER IS WILLING TO LEAVE NEW YORK JUST TO BE WITH HER!? WHAT THE HELL KIND OF CRIME GOES ON IN OXFORD!? Because it sure as hell can't be as much as a city in a country where guns are the symbol of freedom. Our (supposedly better than Maguire's) Spidey, ladies and gentlemen."

And I have real difficulty in seeing what people have for Garfield's Parker, especially the ones who seem to sneer at Maguire's interpretation (for being a mopy crybaby, supposedly). As I said in one of my quotes, he's willing to leave New York just so he could follow Gwen to Oxford, leaving the crime ridden home of a city behind him because his cock says so. Great power comes great responsibility (there's a deleted scene that rips that line off, wholesale) my ass. In Spidey 2, even when Pete lost his powers, he was willing to do the right thing by saving a child from a burning building. Not only does that show the difficulty of doing such a thing as a person, but it shows that he's still trying to be the hero. And the immediate scene following that was him monologuing why he doesn't have his powers because he knows there are people out there that are in need of a man like Spiderman. But in ASM, nope. None of that. Screw you, New York. I'm gonna go pork my girlfriend in Oxford. A far cry from the Parker who chose not to be with Mary Jane at the end of the first Raimi movie so that he could keep her out of danger.

Trust me. Now that I've seen them, Amazing Spiderman 1 and 2 are down there with Green Lantern, Catwoman and Son of the Mask as among the very worst comic book movies they have to offer.

Also, just so you know, I got a free month of Xtra Vision rentals after renting out ASM2 and Captain America 2, so it ain't all bad. I guess I'll broaden my horizons now, like you said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Screen Junkies ripped Amazing Spiderman 2 apart quite nicely:

I thought it was alright when I first saw it, rewatched it recently and turned it off halfway through.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You guys posting in the right forum? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

PETER IS WILLING TO LEAVE NEW YORK JUST TO BE WITH HER!? WHAT THE HELL KIND OF CRIME GOES ON IN OXFORD!? Because it sure as hell can't be as much as a city in a country where guns are the symbol of freedom. Our (supposedly better than Maguire's) Spidey, ladies and gentlemen."

And I have real difficulty in seeing what people have for Garfield's Parker, especially the ones who seem to sneer at Maguire's interpretation (for being a mopy crybaby, supposedly). As I said in one of my quotes, he's willing to leave New York just so he could follow Gwen to Oxford

Would I leave crime-riddled New York to move to lovely Oxford with the even-lovelier Emma Stone? Yes. Yes I would. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

ghostchant wrote: »
    Would I leave crime-riddled New York to move to lovely Oxford with the even-lovelier Emma Stone? Yes. Yes I would. :)

tumblr_m5zny51HBm1qabf2l.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You guys posting in the right forum? ;)

I'm pretty sure the tie-in game is terrible as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Here's a decent review of that 8BITDO NES30 controller I got. I don't think I've seen a bad review yet!
    I'd say nintendo will kill it soon enough as it's a blatant infringement on their IP. So grab one soon if anyone wants one and avoid the famicom version as it's a bit poo compared to the NES 30.

http://www.retrocollect.com/Reviews/review-8bitdos-nes30-bluetooth-gamepad.html

Steve SI wrote: »
    Here's a decent review of that 8BITDO NES30 controller I got. I don't think I've seen a bad review yet!
    I'd say nintendo will kill it soon enough as it's a blatant infringement on their IP. So grab one soon if anyone wants one and avoid the famicom version as it's a bit poo compared to the NES 30.

http://www.retrocollect.com/Reviews/review-8bitdos-nes30-bluetooth-gamepad.html

I wonder how well that'd work with a Raspberry Pi... hrmmm...

*edit*

Any local(ish) suppliers for Europe?

• Advertisement

MrVestek wrote: »
    I wonder how well that'd work with a Raspberry Pi... hrmmm...

*edit*

Any local(ish) suppliers for Europe?

Apparently it works very well with the Pi. I've not got around to testing it on the Pi myself though.
    I got my one from the maker/manufacturer on eBay China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Feck it, just ordered one there. €26 with free postage isn't bad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Are there any tech issues with playing US Atari 2600 carts on a PAL 2600?

New podcast is now up.

Arcade and Retro Podcast - 19 "BATMAN"

smartbombstudios-justice.jpg

http://arcadeandretro.com/arcade-and-retro-podcast-19-batman/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Myrddin wrote: »
    Are there any tech issues with playing US Atari 2600 carts on a PAL 2600?

I don't know. There might be slight differences, I know the PAL console can't display as many colours as the US console.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I don't know. There might be slight differences, I know the PAL console can't display as many colours as the US console.

Oh really? Wasn't aware of that! I googled it & found some results that mention picture rolling, is that inherent to the tv or a hardware incompatibility?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Cheers, that answers that! The SECAM model colour palette is dreadul!

Myrddin wrote: »
    Cheers, that answers that! The SECAM model colour palette is dreadul!

Still better then the Spectrum :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Man I have a feeling trying to get a copy of Tron Bonne is going to be my Waterloo. All the ones on ebay are overpriced or else have customs added that brings them well over what I'm willing to pay. I lost an auction last night for the game by about $4 and the last one was taken down at the last minute because the seller probably expected to sell it for more. The PAL versions are strangely more reasonable but again they I want the best tron bonne experience!

Why the difference in colour pallets per region though? That page doesn't seem to explain the reason for the difference... only that there is one.

Man I have a feeling trying to get a copy of Tron Bonne is going to be my Waterloo. All the ones on ebay are overpriced or else have customs added that brings them well over what I'm willing to pay. I lost an auction last night for the game by about $4 and the last one was taken down at the last minute because the seller probably expected to sell it for more. The PAL versions are strangely more reasonable but again they I want the best tron bonne experience!

Just emulate it

/runs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The SECAM version looks only marginally better than my first non-shareware game I got for PC: Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles.
    On our CGA computer/monitor, it looked... superb.

Here's a screenshot of the underwater level that someone took from an emulated version.
    tmnt4.png

That was Leonardo. You could only tell by the weapon.
    The EGA version had the proper colours.
    76051.jpg
    I have no idea how I made it past the "Jump of Death" as a kid. I suspect it involved lots of frustration, and continues.

Master of the Universe

I try not to complain about meaningless rubbish but ffs, is anyone else driven demented by this baldy hipster douche's face constantly popping up on ebay?

baldydouche_zps768d1fd2.jpg

o1s1n wrote: »
    I try not to complain about meaningless rubbish but ffs, is anyone else driven demented by this baldy hipster douche's face constantly popping up on ebay?

baldydouche_zps768d1fd2.jpg

AdBlock. Problem solved.

• Advertisement

Why the difference in colour pallets per region though? That page doesn't seem to explain the reason for the difference... only that there is one.

Different TIA chips for the different regions, the 2600 had no frame buffer so the screen was drawn in realtime on the TV (read Racing The Beam).

Atari only made NTSC & PAL TIA chips (the SECAM standard is way different and market presumably too small to make a native one). So SECAM consoles got a hacked 2600 with PAL/NTSC TIA chip and a SECAM encoder tagged on the end AND carts had B/W mode permanently enabled forcing them to use the 8 greyscale palette which got colorised by the encoder.

At least that's the jist of it according to AtariAge :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

not as bad as SpiderDog on the front page of Youtube, scared the bejayzus out of me the first time it popped up.

Do none of you use AdBlock no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Do none of you use AdBlock no?

Nah, ads don't really bother me. Except the non skippable ones on YouTube videos.

Master of the Universe

AdBlock. Problem solved.

It's not an ad though. I use adblock and he's still there. Taunting me with his scaldy head.

• Advertisement

Nah, ads don't really bother me. Except the non skippable ones on YouTube videos.

You can have AdBlock enabled without a subscription to an known advertisers list. That way you can just block whatever elements on certain websites that you want.

AdBlock has traced the ad and the baldy man is coming from inside your house!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's a franchise, they send the local representative to yours as a result.
    Expect Monkeykube to your door shortly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's a franchise, they send the local representative to yours as a result.
    Expect Monkeykube to your door shortly!

bx67l.jpg

Master of the Universe

You're coming for my hair, aren't you? :eek:

It's so lush and manly, who wouldn't want it :)

gorgeous%2Bhairy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Steve SI wrote: »
    It's so lush and manly, who wouldn't want it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Is there any sign of the Retron 5 being released in Europe yet?

Is there any sign of the Retron 5 being released in Europe yet?

I hope not.

I hope not.

Any reason in particular? I've read some good impressions on it and it would be a nice device to have.

• Advertisement

Its fine for the casual gamer looking for a blast from the past sort of gaming.

Ya its emulation but its convenient and plays most of the popular stuff that the average gamer wants with reasonable accuracy.

I'm just not a fan of 'console on a chip' machines. It's fine if it's a Raspberry Pi or whatever and you're dumping a few roms onto if but if you're going to go to the hassle of getting a console that can read the actual carts then why not just pick up the original hardware?

It doesn't play Castlevania 3 which is usually the first sign of bad NES emulation and also a crime that you can't play such a great game :)

It doesn't play Castlevania 3 which is usually the first sign of bad NES emulation and also a crime that you can't play such a great game :)

I took your advice on this and started playing it on my nes emulator,I realised I'd actually never played it before, or have no memory of it if I did. Cracking game.

Cracking, whip. Geddit.

Ahh..

if you're going to go to the hassle of getting a console that can read the actual carts then why not just pick up the original hardware?

Main reason is that the Retron 5 has a HDMI connection.

You know the way that, when you are playing Super Castlevania or Sonic 2, Dark Souls or Ocarina of Time, and your broadband "blips" for some reason but the game continues on regardless?
    Yeah?
    Well Destiny doesn't!
    I was playing away, through a particular level, early on I'll grant you, and after a good deal of running, jumping and, surprising many, shooting the game just pops me back to the title screen but not before letting me know the network connection was down and please try again later.
    Now, I was never signed out of PSN so I can't imagine the network issue was that major but it was a serious fecking pain in the nethers never the less.
    Metroid Prime never did this to me!

krudler wrote: »
    I took your advice on this and started playing it on my nes emulator,I realised I'd actually never played it before, or have no memory of it if I did. Cracking game.

Cracking, whip. Geddit.

Ahh..

It's worth trying the Famicom version as well. It had an extra soundchip in it which makes the awesome music even better.

Main reason is that the Retron 5 has a HDMI connection.

So does a Raspberry Pi and that's a quarter of the price, perhaps more.

Saw a place selling usb versions of SNES joypads, really tempted, anyone know if they're any use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Anyone know a place in Ireland that sell the 3.8 screws to open SNES carts? Can get them on ebay easily enough of course, but any bricks and mortar shops sell them here?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement