Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

Check out the new walking dead pinball from stern.
    Looks the shizz
    The base model or the "pro" as the call it is the one with the black trim and the one with the brown trim is the "premium" model.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-walking-dead-photos

I'd say your looking at 6k euro for a premium model:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You know the way that, when you are playing Super Castlevania or Sonic 2, Dark Souls or Ocarina of Time, and your broadband "blips" for some reason but the game continues on regardless?
    Yeah?
    Well Destiny doesn't!
    I was playing away, through a particular level, early on I'll grant you, and after a good deal of running, jumping and, surprising many, shooting the game just pops me back to the title screen but not before letting me know the network connection was down and please try again later.
    Now, I was never signed out of PSN so I can't imagine the network issue was that major but it was a serious fecking pain in the nethers never the less.
    Metroid Prime never did this to me!

Haven't had any issues with it yet. Although I'm running on the PS4 and I've definitely noticed that's infinitely faster at network stuff than the PS3.

The missions are starting to get a bit tiresome though. They all involve getting to a specific location deploying your Dinklebot and then waiting for him to get done scanning while you fight off waves of enemies. Coincidentally he doesn't get finished until all the enemies are dead.

There's so many things in there that feel so gamey that they seem determined to pull against all the really well crafted immersion that the graphics and sound design provide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

You know the way that, when you are playing Super Castlevania or Sonic 2, Dark Souls or Ocarina of Time, and your broadband "blips" for some reason but the game continues on regardless?
    Yeah?
    Well Destiny doesn't!
    I was playing away, through a particular level, early on I'll grant you, and after a good deal of running, jumping and, surprising many, shooting the game just pops me back to the title screen but not before letting me know the network connection was down and please try again later.
    Now, I was never signed out of PSN so I can't imagine the network issue was that major but it was a serious fecking pain in the nethers never the less.
    Metroid Prime never did this to me!

if-ea-published-solitaire_o_1184826.webp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I have the certain urge to play through sonic unleashed , which I never got the chance to , anybody play the game ? is it worth a play through ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,389 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

As you love to self-flagellate with bad sonic games, I'd say go for it :D

(you'd probably have more fun just playing through Shenmue again though!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have the certain urge to play through sonic unleashed , which I never got the chance to , anybody play the game ? is it worth a play through ?

It's pretty god awful. The 3D stages are painfully dull. The 2D stages start ok but then degenerate into a heap of cheap deaths that the game tries to balance by throwing tonnes of lives at you culminating in a final level constructed of dick moves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

o1s1n wrote: »
    As you love to self-flagellate with bad sonic games, I'd say go for it :D

(you'd probably have more fun just playing through Shenmue again though!)

I played through shenmue 1 there recently again but my xbox broke so I could not play shenmue 2 :(

so yeah I may look for a copy of sonic unleashed :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just playing Last Story there. I was playing the second season of the arena mini game. Wat happens at the end might be the funniest thing I've seen in a game in a long time :D

10646887_10205051398267421_7770988312528334643_n.jpg?oh=2c8d504dcce42d675ec6b3dc1c5e6398&oe=548B5D95&__gda__=1418329731_b5eaacb07770e1050dcf50e47df2e890

Ok so not really retro but I finally had time to set this up properly today. The picture makes everything look smaller than it is but trust me it's an epic battle station. That's a 32" 720p TV that it's all connected to.

Looking forward to pay day and purchasing the likes of Day Z.

Add me on Steam if you guys have it, the usual nickname of course.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Command Centre?

• Advertisement

The Command Centre?

It shall henceforth be known as the command centre.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Nice and neat MrVestek. :cool:

On the subject of PC stuff, I just got these beauties in the post the last few days - I had previously been using Turtle Beach X-12s for general audio usage (not bad at all) - but the ATH-M50x and D1 DAC make a world of difference. Especially the DAC, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to audio but the difference is stunning. Wish I could plug the retro consoles into it too. :)

cKvzaOb.jpg

I use these:
    http://www.gioteck.com/support/xbox-360-support/headsets-xbox-360-support/ex-05-support/

Picked them up in GAME on the cheap before they went bust for about €50. Handy that they do 360 / PS3 / PC.

Only thing is the metal clasps holding the phones to the thingy are brittle, both of them have broken off at this stage although that had more to do with the ex shoving them behind the fecking couch when they weren't in use... crushing them against the wall.

Anyway the sound quality is amazing and because they have RCA audio passthrough I can use RCA and USB Headset / mic at the same time. Perfect for streaming retro stuff to twitch. :-)

MrVestek wrote: »

Nah the DAC uses USB in at the back for power + audio, or optionally optical in for audio (which I'm using). The 3.5 at the front is output. I know there's more expensive DACs out there (like this chap) that have more input options that would probably work, but out of my budget for the time being. It was really just for PC use, just surprised me the difference it made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Nice and neat MrVestek. :cool:

On the subject of PC stuff, I just got these beauties......ATH-M50x and D1 DAC...........I'm a complete newbie when it comes to audio but the difference is stunning.

It's a slippery slope from now!

Point in case. I've about 3 DAC's, a Denon amp, Mission floorstanders, Marantz CD player, Pioneer Laserdisc player and about 8000 pairs of headphones.

Just got a new DAC last week as it goes. The SMSL 5. It's a right cheeky bit of kit!

Next on the list, a high-res portable. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My RGB/BNC cables arrived this morning!
    Now for some PVM fun!
    Destiny will have to wait!
    I've some old school gaming to do!

Never mind Audio DACs... I'm already considering investing in a second 5.1 surround sound system just for the PC room.

Never mind Audio DACs... I'm already considering investing in a second 5.1 surround sound system just for the PC room.

Is the audio source for that surround sound system coming from the PC? If it is then a DAC will give you much better audio quality than plugging your sound system directly into your soundcard or onboard audio (from what I've read anyway). TekSyndicate had a decent YouTube video on it too:

Apologies for the off-topic chat... :o

Is the audio source for that surround sound system coming from the PC? If it is then a DAC will give you much better audio quality than plugging your sound system directly into your soundcard or onboard audio (from what I've read anyway). TekSyndicate had a decent YouTube video on it too:

Apologies for the off-topic chat... :o

Even if it's an optical feed going straight into an amp? It'd have a built in DAC surely?

• Advertisement

Even if it's an optical feed going straight into an amp? It'd have a built in DAC surely?

Aye true, presumably the amp would have a DAC built in alright. The ones built into the PC (onboard or soundcard) aren't up to much from what I gather though, never paid much attention to it before. Also handy in that it eliminates that annoying static when no audio is playing and the volume is mid/high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I'll definitely be having one of these next week when they come out in Japan :0)
    I think I had the same type this time last year but I really don’t remember the cheese being black.
    You gotta love the Japanese limited edition fast food stuff.

YfoCw6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It looks awful, but I'd have to try it!

Master of the Universe

The black cheese is a new addition. I'd love to try one!

Steve SI wrote: »
    YfoCw6.jpg

Looks like something the Dentrassis would rustle up for a Vogon captain tbh...
    Death's too good for 'em I say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

A slab of meat in between 2 black buns....I believe thats called the Jack Burton!

I want one though!

A slab of meat in between 2 black buns....I believe thats called the Jack Burton!

I want one though!

I thought it was called "The Mountjoy", or maybe I'm thinking of something else....

I thought it was called "The Mountjoy", or maybe I'm thinking of something else....

asian-mask-funy-o.gif

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    asian-mask-funy-o.gif

I don't know what that means :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Just a quick question. It's off topic, but I'm sure someone here will know the answer.

I've been having some trouble finding an adapter for a Zoom guitar multi-effects pedal. It's 9v DC 300ma, most other pedals/adapters are either AC or 200/500ma. I'm pretty certain that anything under 300ma will overheat or worse, but will anything greater (like 500ma) work with it?

Just a quick question. It's off topic, but I'm sure someone here will know the answer.

I've been having some trouble finding an adapter for a Zoom guitar multi-effects pedal. It's 9v DC 300ma, most other pedals/adapters are either AC or 200/500ma. I'm pretty certain that anything under 300ma will overheat or worse, but will anything greater (like 500ma) work with it?

....whaaa?

Ha, just chancing it to see if anyone here could tell me. Even the pedal manufacturer only make AC adapters, and the smaller single effect pedals mostly only require a 9v 200ma adapter. Pain in the ar$e trying to find one that's 9vDC and 300ma.

Ha, just chancing it to see if anyone here could tell me. Even the pedal manufacturer only make AC adapters, and the smaller single effect pedals mostly only require a 9v 200ma adapter. Pain in the ar$e trying to find one that's 9vDC and 300ma.

"Zoom guitar multi-effects pedal". Is that like... a Wiimote or something?

Ha, something like that :-)

Rather than just connecting a guitar straight into an amp, you run one cable from a guitar to the pedal then run a second cable from the pedal to the amplifier (or you can connect a few pedals together, by linking them with patch cables).

That one runs off either 9vDC adapter or 4 AA batteries, but, as with every handheld that ever ran on AA's, the batteries don't last long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

DinoRex wrote: »
    "OFFICER JENNY!
    Oh, can't you see...
    You should lock me up and throw away the key!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

That one runs off either 9vDC adapter or 4 AA batteries,

This may be a stupid question but if AA batteries are 1.5v each why does it need 9v through an adapter if only 4 batteries are needed?

I couldn't tell you tbh. Any other pedal that I've looked into either runs off of a 9v battery or a 9v AC adapter. This one, although it's pretty good compared to other pedals that cost twice what I paid for it, seems to be the one that technology forgot, ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I couldn't tell you tbh. Any other pedal that I've looked into either runs off of a 9v battery or a 9v AC adapter. This one, although it's pretty good compared to other pedals that cost twice what I paid for it, seems to be the one that technology forgot, ha.

I don't think the pedal would draw any more amps than it would need, I don't think a slightly higher amp rating would do any harm if that was your only option. I imagine a slightly higher rating would be better than one lower than what they recommend, which as you said would probably overheat. Just not stupidly high, hope you get sorted out.

Monkeykube wrote: »
    I don't think the pedal would draw any more amps than it would need, I don't think a slightly higher amp rating would do any harm if that was your only option. I imagine a slightly higher rating would be better than one lower than what they recommend, which as you said would probably overheat. Just not stupidly high, hope you get sorted out.

Thanks!

Just wasn't sure if it was a matter of the pedal only drawing what it required or if the plug would just constantly feed in the 500ma. If I don't come across one soon I'll probably just pick up the 500ma one :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    It's a slippery slope from now!

Point in case. I've about 3 DAC's, a Denon amp, Mission floorstanders, Marantz CD player, Pioneer Laserdisc player and about 8000 pairs of headphones.

Just got a new DAC last week as it goes. The SMSL 5. It's a right cheeky bit of kit!

Next on the list, a high-res portable. :o

Separate DACs are a slippery slope aren't they? People with high quality laptops from a manufacture who didn't cheap out on the audio chip (Macs?) using a DAC with gold contacts on the USB ports "to get truely better audio"
    Upgrading from el-cheapo laptop or desktop audio chips I can understand on the other hand

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Separate DACs are a slippery slope aren't they? People with high quality laptops from a manufacture who didn't cheap out on the audio chip (Macs?) using a DAC with gold contacts on the USB ports "to get truely better audio"
    Upgrading from el-cheapo laptop or desktop audio chips I can understand on the other hand

I have to draw the line at digital cables (though all my TV/AV HDMI cables are Monster, except I got them in a price glitch and saved a fortune, that's my excuse!).

Gold plated USB cables? Gimme a break! Gold TOSLINK's? Jog on lad!

My desktop is kind of overkill though. I run a Focusrite Saffire running to 2 KRK Rokits on spiked stands with sound dampenrs wedged under the speakers.

I've 2 separate network streaming applications. An HP Proliant Microserver for Plex and a Raspberry Pi running Volumio and stuffed in to an E09K and an E17K which then either goes to HD598's, Shure e4c, e3c and AKG K550's, or to the Denon amp and floorstanders.

It's utterly ridiculous. Something to do though I guess. :pac::pac::pac::D

Master of the Universe

Any of you tried Argos granite chopping boards for sound isolation? I've heard they work really well. Keep meaning to pick a pair up for my hifi speakers.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Any of you tried Argos granite chopping boards for sound isolation? I've heard they work really well. Keep meaning to pick a pair up for my hifi speakers.

Yep. I have a pair of them under my Mission floorstanders. They do actually perform epically. Worth the small outlay. Hand carved by Mrs. E. Pickles (Production Line 15, Factory 47, Wiltshire) no less. :)

So, free Super Smash Bros 3DS!
    At least a demo to keep us going!
    free sh1t!

So, free Super Smash Bros 3DS!
    At least a demo to keep us going!
    free sh1t!

Got the email with the four download codes, but there's no way I'm a platinum member with 600 coins I wouldn't have thought, maybe everyone gets it. Also just noticed the free PS+ games for the Vita - Velocity 2X, TxK, Joe Danger and something else. Pretty good selection that!

Got the email with the four download codes, but there's no way I'm a platinum member with 600 coins I wouldn't have thought, maybe everyone gets it. Also just noticed the free PS+ games for the Vita - Velocity 2X, TxK, Joe Danger and something else. Pretty good selection that!
    Metrico, it's a very nice puzzle/platformer that looks like a power point presentation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Did anybody notice the new Donkey Kong champ?

http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.ie/

I don't get why Nintendo are so keen on restricting everything as much as they can.

Example Nintendo Policy In The Real World:

Hey Andrew! You are having chips for tea tonight! YAY!

binge-eat.gif

....but you are only allowed to eat six of them.

ThursdayOct26_22.gif

:(

No idea what that means, translation please? :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement