Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Andrew76 wrote: »
    No idea what that means, translation please? :)

Well. The demo comes in 2 flavours. Unlimited for those with 600 coins. And limited to 30 tries for everyone else.

It's incredibly Orwellian antics from Nintendo.

p.s I've decided you were allowed at one stage, but are now not allowed to have chips for tea tonight.*

*example of Microsoft and Apple. You can have chips if you wish, for your tea tonight. With my blessing. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

What are coins? Is it a US version of Stars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The email I got said that is unlimited uses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I thought coins were the Uk/EU version. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Nope, star points here.

I've been using the American Nintendo site all along so. Never did register anything on it.

Anyone know if the free game for registering a 3ds/2ds and a copy of Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/smash bros is for Europe too?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've an unlimited demo of the game, no hint of restriction at all.
    From what I can see you just need to have signed up to their emails.
    And I had a quick go, seems like fun but then I was never a massive fan of the series.

It says in the article:

"However, there's a bit of a catch. Those getting access to the demo today can play it as much as they want. Those looking to play the public demo that's getting released next week will only be able to open the game a total of 30 times. Yes, it's a demo; yes, that's going to be a lot of heartbreak for Super Smash Bros. junkies."

I'm just bitter as I receive their emails and I never got sent one. :( :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    It says in the article:

"However, there's a bit of a catch. Those getting access to the demo today can play it as much as they want. Those looking to play the public demo that's getting released next week will only be able to open the game a total of 30 times. Yes, it's a demo; yes, that's going to be a lot of heartbreak for Super Smash Bros. junkies."

I'm just bitter as I receive their emails and I never got sent one. :( :pac:

You can have one of my spare codes if you like?

• Advertisement

You can have one of my spare codes if you like?

Only if you are having chips for tea. :D

Really enjoying Destiny now. I get a real Phantasy Star Online feel from it.

Probably haven't enjoyed FPS combat this much since the original Half Life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

DinoRex wrote: »
    Really enjoying Destiny now. I get a real Phantasy Star Online feel from it.

Probably haven't enjoyed FPS combat this much since the original Half Life.

I've barely scratched the surface of the game but I'm determined to put some time into it over the next week or two.
    I've never played anything like it tbh, very impressive, though I'm not one to judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

So another few devices with Doom running.

ATM which you probably have seen already :
    http://youtu.be/PW5ELKTivbE

Canon Printer : http://youtu.be/INZR9P_SnjY

Calculator : http://youtu.be/NsN2JIRGHAo

Spectrum :
    http://youtu.be/3v7cFGneuaw

C64 :
    http://youtu.be/X3Oqz5WjDPI

Texas Instruments Calculator :
    http://youtu.be/hErarP8UYB8

Newer TI Calc :
    http://youtu.be/ZLn-vnbrPXg

Nintendo DS :
    http://youtu.be/j9k_1Madslk

Oscilloscope :
    http://youtu.be/xZaKlLyikKg

Are there any more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

eddhorse wrote: »
    So another few devices with Doom running.

ATM which you probably have seen already :
    http://youtu.be/PW5ELKTivbE

Canon Printer : http://youtu.be/INZR9P_SnjY

Calculator : http://youtu.be/NsN2JIRGHAo

Spectrum :
    http://youtu.be/3v7cFGneuaw

C64 :
    http://youtu.be/X3Oqz5WjDPI

Texas Instruments Calculator :
    http://youtu.be/hErarP8UYB8

Newer TI Calc :
    http://youtu.be/ZLn-vnbrPXg

Nintendo DS :
    http://youtu.be/j9k_1Madslk

Oscilloscope :
    http://youtu.be/xZaKlLyikKg

Are there any more?

When folks say a device is running Doom, what qualifies for folks to say it is? If someone just codes a program to look like Doom (like the Speccy & C64 versions) and is doesn't use the original source code or WAD files - we can't really stand back in awe of it running 'Doom' can we?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The fact they got matrix calculations for the ray traced distortions running on the ****ty C64 is enough for me to give the coder all the plaudits they want.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The fact they got matrix calculations for the ray traced distortions running on the ****ty C64 is enough for me to give the coder all the plaudits they want.

Indeed 'ray casting' is super - but it isn't Doom and nor is it called Doom :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Indeed 'ray casting' is super - but it isn't Doom and nor is it called Doom :)

Fine takeout the C64 and Speccy, sheesh, the rest are brilliant.

eddhorse wrote: »
    Fine takeout the C64 and Speccy, sheesh, the rest are brilliant.

Ah don't mind Kerb, someone must've robbed the last of his Crunchy Nut Cornflakes or something. :pac:

That Spectrum version of a 'Doom-like' game is pretty impressive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The spectrum and c64 versions are better and closer to doom than the awful Saturn port :)

Then there's the 3DO port.... Christ.

• Advertisement

You've got to remember that we had full 3D games like Driller and Castle Master on the C64 back in the day.

The spectrum and c64 versions are better and closer to doom than the awful Saturn port :)

Then there's the 3DO port.... Christ.

Then you have the SNES port, now from what I remembered that wasn't all the best. Saturn version better than that I guess?

The GBA had a great Doom port.

Those games were flat untextured polygons or wireframes. It's still a programming feat to get them working but when you go to scaling and distorting graphic tiles like in a doom engine you usually need dedicated silicon for the matrix calculations involved to speed it up. The SNES had a 16 bit version of the C64 CPU yet still needed a dedicated matrix processor for mode 7. Pretty sure the C64 and speccy games are using pseudo calculations to approximate it but it's still very impressive.

I'm pretty sure there was a game on the Atari 8-bit released in the 90's that had an engine similar to Wolfenstein. Retrogamer magazine showcased it a while ago so there were Doom/Wolf3D type games on the 8-bits technically.

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Then you have the SNES port, now from what I remembered that wasn't all the best. Saturn version better than that I guess?

For what it was the SNES version is very impressive. I'd actually say the Saturn and 3DO versions are worse. The SNES version cut some corners but it was at least playable unlike those two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The GBA had a great Doom port.

I remember getting that when it came out alright and being really impressed.

Had to install an Afterburner kit on my GBA to actually see the game though. Good times :pac:

I'm pretty sure there was a game on the Atari 8-bit released in the 90's that had an engine similar to Wolfenstein. Retrogamer magazine showcased it a while ago so there were Doom/Wolf3D type games on the 8-bits technically.

Was it Alien Versus Predator?

Was it Alien Versus Predator?

Nope that was on the Lynx and was never released, which was the first console to have silicon dedicated to matrix calculations so it could do scaling and rotation effects easily. I'll have to look up the Atari game, it was really impressive from what I remember from a youtube video.

It's just the only Atari based Wolfenstein clone I know of.

It's just the only Atari based Wolfenstein clone I know of.

How dare you, it's a survival arcade action cover based shooter with cute'em up mechanics and a flavouring of katamari massively single player offline RPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

How dare you, it's a survival arcade action cover based shooter with cute'em up mechanics and a flavouring of katamari massively single player offline RPG

I see you've learned your lesson then :D

The first Destiny raid went live this morning at 10.

It looks crazy. Been checking in periodically with stream of some guys trying to do it. 4 and a half hours later and it looks like they're at the last boss who seems to be able to teleport players to another dimension.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Destiny - all the blandness of a sci-fi FPS combined with the tedium of an MMORPG :p

Master of the Universe

Anyone here playing the mobile/GPS AR game Ingress? Started it yesterday and am wondering why I haven't heard about it before.

Visually it's really reminiscent of Syndicate Wars. It's been getting me out walking on my lunch breaks and I went on a long walk yesterday evening. Basically turned walking into a videogame, which can't be a bad thing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

o1s1n wrote: »
    Anyone here playing the mobile/GPS AR game Ingress? Started it yesterday and am wondering why I haven't heard about it before.

Visually it's really reminiscent of Syndicate Wars. It's been getting me out walking on my lunch breaks and I went on a long walk yesterday evening. Basically turned walking into a videogame, which can't be a bad thing :D

Yes I've been playing it since it was in beta.

Haven't been playing much of it lately but it's good. I'm a level 8 which used to be the highest level you could get but not anymore.

Resistance or Enlightened?

*edit*

Never mind I found you... you resistance scum! :P

Master of the Universe

Resistance. Was too Terminator-esque to ignore :D

Did it take you long to level your character up to 8? I was pretty shocked when I saw the level of AP needed to go up levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

o1s1n wrote: »
    Resistance. Was too Terminator-esque to ignore :D

Did it take you long to level your character up to 8? I was pretty shocked when I saw the level of AP needed to go up levels.

I don't take it half as seriously as some of the players on the G+ groups so it took me a while... almost a year or so.

I think customs are taking me for a ride. I've something to collect with a 30 euro customs charge but I only paid 45 for it. Anyone know what to do if overcharged by customs?

Also never getting my ebay stuff sent to Sligo, this is the second time they got me for customs.

Master of the Universe

I think customs are taking me for a ride. I've something to collect with a 30 euro customs charge but I only paid 45 for it. Anyone know what to do if overcharged by customs?

Also never getting my ebay stuff sent to Sligo, this is the second time they got me for customs.

Bring a receipt of the online transaction to prove they've made an error. Paypal or a screenshot of the ebay auction have worked for me in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I started in DIT a few days ago (im a part time filthy student).. Anyway ..near the cafe in Kevin st theres a calofornia speed cab sitting in the middle of one of the corridors. Steering wheel and front panels gone but everything else is there.Im trying to find out if its being dumped. Its too big for me but if one of you has a van they could possibly be persuaded to give it to a collector.. Ill try and upload a photo later..

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Its too big for me

schauble.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Dr Bob wrote: »
    I started in DIT a few days ago (im a part time filthy student).. Anyway ..near the cafe in Kevin st theres a calofornia speed cab sitting in the middle of one of the corridors. Steering wheel and front panels gone but everything else is there.Im trying to find out if its being dumped. Its too big for me but if one of you has a van they could possibly be persuaded to give it to a collector.. Ill try and upload a photo later..

That's been there about a year now, I assume the parts are around somewhere as it was in one piece about a year ago. I take it some genius decided to take it apart to fix a problem and never got around to putting it back together.
    I'm a filthy part time student in there myself!

I'm now a cool month waiting for a DS game to arrive from the States.
    I contacted the seller and they assure me it was sent.
    He suggested it might be caught in customs.
    Customs, for a game worth a tenner.
    I'll give them a little more time before beginning the weeping and gnashing of teeth.
    N+ , who knew it would e this much trouble?
    Maybe that's why it was a US only release on the handheld?

Master of the Universe

If it was sent via a cheaper form of post and is located in the middle or west of the US, then it can definitely take that long. Patience my good man, patience!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm now a cool month waiting for a DS game to arrive from the States.
    I contacted the seller and they assure me it was sent.
    He suggested it might be caught in customs.
    Customs, for a game worth a tenner.
    I'll give them a little more time before beginning the weeping and gnashing of teeth.
    N+ , who knew it would e this much trouble?
    Maybe that's why it was a US only release on the handheld?

Had something from Lukie Games a while ago take 2 months to arrive. The stuff I ordered from him a week after turned up well before it.

• Advertisement

Yep, certainly not unusual for things being shipped from America it seems. Not that I've experienced a delivery time like that myself though. I seem to get pretty lucky when ordering things online. I ordered two watch straps from America a couple of months ago and they arrived quicker than most of the stuff I've ordered from within the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

See Raiden 5 is coming to xb1 next year.

Master of the Universe

:eek:

Link or I'm requesting a ban for trolling! :pac:

Still won't make me buy an XBox One though.

Still won't make me buy an XBox One though.

It's the real deal. XBox One exclusive too. Likewise, I won't be buying it. Nice bait and all that...

CLICK ME DO

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement