Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's quite tempting that XB1 offer.
    I have fundage but I have both a PS4 and a car that needs a service.
    Decision made I think!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Article on Eurogamer this morning about Akihabara and board hunting: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-21-arcade-hunting-in-akiba

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Article on Eurogamer this morning about Akihabara and board hunting: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-21-arcade-hunting-in-akiba

Was reading that earlier. Would be great to have places like that local to you. Must be an amazing sight to see so many candies turned on at once. An entire floor dedicated to shmups? Heaven.

I wouldn't call Image Fight offbeat though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Hey! is awesome, but in my opinion it is Mikado that is the best!

The stench of smoke though in Hey! is intolerable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    but in my opinion it is Mikado that is the best!

Definitely, the chocolate ones are addictive

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Strange things that happen when you play multiplayer games with Japanese people part 2.

Some Japanese castlevania players added me as friends and now send me their castlevania fan art to use as backgrounds on my ps3. It's all really good art as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Back home after being away for a week or so. Just collected a load of stuff from Parcel Motel. They really need to have some option to combine multiple packages into one locker slot(and charge for it of course) as it takes feckin ages to get 12 packages out of the yolk(crappy touchscreen and I'm pretty sure it runs on a 286 processor).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Steve SI wrote: »
    Back home after being away for a week or so. Just collected a load of stuff from Parcel Motel. They really need to have some option to combine multiple packages into one locker slot(and charge for it of course) as it takes feckin ages to get 12 packages out of the yolk(crappy touchscreen and I'm pretty sure it runs on a 286 processor).

You know there's people probably cursing you because you're hogging all them lockers. No wonder deliveries are taking longer, at least I know what to get you for Christmas. Your own personal lockers, enough room for two of everything.

IMG_20121027_094531_thumb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I see er, I mean read that another batch of hacked female celeb photos have hit the net.

Jennifer Lawrence sure loves photos of her boobies. Allegedly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Girlfriend just text me from work

"You're getting a ps4 for Christmas/anniversary, What games do you want?"

Last of Us and Fear Within? (Considering I didnt play Last of us yet)

Thief, Resogun and another game that isn't quite as good. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Monkeykube wrote: »
    You know there's people probably cursing you because you're hogging all them lockers. No wonder deliveries are taking longer, at least I know what to get you for Christmas. Your own personal lockers, enough room for two of everything.

IMG_20121027_094531_thumb.jpg

Haha, yeah a few delayed deliveries because of me probably :)

A PS+ subscription if you don't already have one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Andrew76 wrote: »
    A PS+ subscription if you don't already have one.

This is a double plus good idea
    So says Big Brother

Planning on getting one anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

The PS+ account now and you can starting adding to your instant game collection straightaway.

I might be the only person that doesn't like PS+. Any game that arrives on it I have bought already or else the reason I don't have it is that I was never going to play it in the first place. Also I end up having huge stints away from a console so a subscription just doesn't make sense when my PS3 can go up to 6 months without use.

Makes even more sense if you don't use the PS3 for large periods of time - at least you can the sure the numerous patches & updates will have already been applied :)

The PS+ account now and you can starting adding to your instant game collection straightaway.

Aye that's what I do. Adding PS4 games just in case I get one in the future.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I might be the only person that doesn't like PS+. Any game that arrives on it I have bought already or else the reason I don't have it is that I was never going to play it in the first place. Also I end up having huge stints away from a console so a subscription just doesn't make sense when my PS3 can go up to 6 months without use.

I reckon you probably are the only person that doesn't like it. :pac:

But you have a PS Vita too? €50 a year is a bargain for me, less than €1 a week - gives me loads of Vita games (including the fancy new Velocity 2x), PS3 games (if I ever take it back out of storage) and a nice PS4 library if/when I get that console.

• Advertisement

So how many of ye work for Sony? haha

I'll sign up later on when i get home and turn on the ps3

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Definitely get a PS Plus account it you know you're getting the console. Sportsfriends and Velocity 2X are both available for the next week or two, and they're easily two of the best games of the year (on that note, 7 player outdoor Johann Sebastian Joust should be a new Beers goal ;))

Most of the best games are digital still, which doesn't bother me as there are increasingly few retail releases that really stand out, especially in the first year and a half of any console. Some are available on other platforms, but Transistor, Hohokum (my personal game of the year), and Towerfall Ascension are all excellent choices.

Resogun is still a crowning jewel, especially with its excellent recent DLC which makes the most refreshing and original schmup in a long while even better. They have a new game out soonish I believe, which is something to look forward to.

Given several superb games have launched free on PS Plus recently, that's impressive :pac:

Frankly, PS plus has been wonderful in keeping the console buzzing while the software catalogue builds up. Triply so given the ever generous PS Vita and PS3 titles on top. Also great for discounts - usually a couple of euro off new indie releases, which is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

As someone who has never owned a PS3, are there any exclusives the likes of myself would enjoy that it'd be worth picking one up for?

I'd be interested in playing Demon's Souls as I still feel like I've missed out on something great there. Journey and Dragon's Crown also come to mind.

o1s1n wrote: »
    As someone who has never owned a PS3, are there any exclusives the likes of myself would enjoy that it'd be worth picking one up for?

I'd be interested in playing Demon's Souls as I still feel like I've missed out on something great there. Journey and Dragon's Crown also come to mind.

Demon's Souls is easily my favourite PS3 game but not sure how impressive you might find it since you've already played Dark Souls. 3D Dot Game Heroes supposed to be decent I think, Uncharted games. Is there enough there though to fork out for a console though?

Master of the Universe

Yeah that's what I'm thinking alright. Might not be enough for the cash commitment... plus the space it would take up. Feels a bit weird having missed out on a whole generation of Playstation though after being there from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

You should be able to pick up a 2nd hand ps3 bundle for about €150 so not massive money.

I'd say you'd love Little Big Planet :)

They are well nice, a very affordable way to play pretty much everything the 3DS has to offer without the pesky maiming of childrens eyesight or migraines on the bus when playing Kirby!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Is it just me or are Nintendo releasing more handheld redesigns and case designs than new first party software lately?

Less of the case modifications and more WiiUZelda/Metroid please!

There's loads of good PS3 exclusives. Last of Us I might go on a about it being a bit overhyped but it's still one of the best games this generation. Journey is a contender for best game this generation. For JRPGs skip Ni No Kuni, it's pretty terrible and check out the Atelier games, Ayesha in particular. However I'd be more inclined to recommend them on Vita, the first 3 have been ported and I'd say Ayesha will get a western Vita release soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

got final fantasy a realm reborn yesterday for 15 in gamestop for the pc and low and behold i have been playing it since 10:30am today

goodbye life :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

It's worth noting that you really need PS+ for a lot of online features for the PS4.

There's tonnes of stuff in Destiny that requires it.

Am up to level 25 in Destiny. Storywise it's as perplexing as Dark Souls. Yesterday I decided to work out why I killed about 10,000 space monsters but it means digging into this grimorie thing that you can only read on the website and on an app on your phone. It pretty much explains everything and there's some amazing back story in there, essentially none of it is conveyed on screen though. It's all cringe worthy writing in the actual game.

'I don't have time to explain why I don't have time to explain' is a line of dialogue that probably about sums up the whole terrible thing.

Matt Lees abridged plot synopsis is great though:

Call me a tight wad but paying for online just doesn't sit right with me especially considering most multiplayer in P2P on consoles and the only reason Microsoft are using Azure with Xbox is because the servers are being used for games mostly when they are sitting idle after office hours. It's a bit of a scam considering it's free on PC except for games that actually need masses of servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

even worse when I hear ps plus is worth the subscription with its free games though so far whats free I already had and still not a great investment because I already buy the games I am interested in.

• Advertisement

I have set a local TV repair shop the task of finding me a black and white TV, for my pong console.
    If anybody spots one in the meantime let me know!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have set a local TV repair shop the task of finding me a black and white TV, for my pong console.

You could hack up the Vectrex :)

I did see a real old TV in an antique shop in Kilkenny a few weeks ago. Classy looking 70's jobbie.

Probably needs a cap kit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

http://www.adverts.ie/tv/old-philips-portable-tv/6418612 - "Dublin / Mayo" mentioned, guess they will met up in Dublin

http://www.adverts.ie/tv/philips-tv-b-w/5935363 - yet another one, but in Kilkenny. Never know, might be able to meet up in Dublin if yea ask

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

right ..drop everything ..the Gauntlet remake/reboot is out and in a suprising move it's
    a/ currently PC only
    b/ actually fun
    c/ the multiplayer is 4 internet player on a single screen
    d/ its still fun even playing with randoms (which is how we did it in the arcade)
    Its accessible via steam , my profiles :
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/luasdublin/
    if anyone gets it and fancies playing online over the next few days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

But... But... The pretty rainbow colours!!!???

• Advertisement

Dr Bob wrote: »
    right ..drop everything ..the Gauntlet remake/reboot is out and in a suprising move it's
    a/ currently PC only
    b/ actually fun
    c/ the multiplayer is 4 internet player on a single screen
    d/ its still fun even playing with randoms (which is how we did it in the arcade)
    Its accessible via steam , my profiles :
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/luasdublin/
    if anyone gets it and fancies playing online over the next few days...

Raiden 3 was just released as well on steam.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

ah sorry man but Gauntlet games >any lesser arcade game or port of an arcade game.
    Can you shoot the food out from under the gobsh!te playing as the warrior who's been hogging all the potions and life giving food in Raiden 3?
    no?
    Does Raiden 3 tell you 'Elf is about to die'?
    no?
    GAUNTLET BABY!!

Somewhere in Wicklow, Andrew76 has just filled his pants. :pac: :D

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Somewhere in Wicklow, Andrew76 has just filled his pants. :pac: :D

:D

I read about the release on Twitter actually (when I remember to check that thing every few weeks). For some reason I don't get excited about shmups on the PC (especially vert ones). Not that they're not good games/ports - think I'm just too lazy to rotate the monitor and hook up a stick, also, no scanlines is just a no no for me. Sure why bother when I have the vert TVs with the consoles hooked up or the vert cab downstairs.

The release is good news though. Raiden IV would be even better.

IV is on PS3.

IV is on PS3.

360 too. :)

Master of the Universe

Polygons in Raiden games? Sacrilege :pac:

Are those later games any good? I've played III a little bit but wasn't a huge fan of it. Found something was lost when it left the realm of detailed sprite art.

III and IV have gone much more bullet hell whereas the originals which I prefer are more traditional. If you don't like 3 then you won't like 4.

I really don't like how all shooters have gone bullet hell lately. I'd much rather have a game like Gradius V or Radiant Silvergun. Even Ikaruga isn't bullet hell once you wrap your head around what is happening. I just feel those old style games have more variety and it's not a case of 'if you're not a shmup savant you won't have a chance of passing stage 3'.

Master of the Universe

One thing I've found that danmaku has killed off is interesting bosses.

You're not fighting bosses any more really, you're fighting patterns. The boss is just a floating entity that doesn't really do very much in itself.

I quite like a few bullet hell games, but would agree with yourself in regards to 'traditional' ones being more interesting.

They both have their place, the problem at the moment is that it seems bullet hell games are the only thing released these days :(

Oh well, at least we have a massive back catalogue of shmups to play! Who needs more when you have Raiden 1, 2 & DX. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Anyone around this weekend to record a new podcast?

It's national podcast day next Tuesday and it would be nice to have something to go out for it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement