Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Well in that case I have dinner plans:

nEde3.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Won't be around, have to get the car NCT'ed in Sligo :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Won't be around, have to get the car NCT'ed in Sligo :(

i070109.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

As raiden iv was mentioned...

It's just been reduced on psn.

Raiden IV: OverKill
    Was £15.99/€19.99/AU$29.95, now £7.99/€9.99/AU$14.95
    10% additional discount for PS Plus subscribers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

DinoRex wrote: »
    Anyone around this weekend to record a new podcast?

It's national podcast day next Tuesday and it would be nice to have something to go out for it.

I'll be at DICE but I could probably duck out for an hour or two. Where is it being recorded? What time?

Out in Coolock, close enough to where I live.

I can do Saturday, but about 12 on Sunday would suit as I'm working on a radio drama in the studio from 2.

Ahh. Too far away from Dundrum, sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I'm recovering from bronchitis so probably not a good idea to be podcasting. Retr0 might Skype in?
    You're doing Halloween beers? I know you want something for Tuesday but for after that we could do one or did you say you're streaming

Sera wrote: »
    You're doing Halloween beers? I know you want something for Tuesday but for after that we could do one or did you say you're streaming

0fc.gif

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Hardly surprising given figures for previous Microsoft efforts in Japan. What's the Xbox got to offer that the PS4 doesn't. I have neither myself, but given the choice I think I'd get a PS4.
    Microsoft were always going to be playing catch up in Japan, can't see it changing either. Sony and Nintendo have the foothold in the Japanese market by releasing consoles for decades now, Microsoft just have bad sales figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Monkeykube wrote: »
    Hardly surprising given figures for previous Microsoft efforts in Japan. What's the Xbox got to offer that the PS4 doesn't. I have neither myself, but given the choice I think I'd get a PS4.
    Microsoft were always going to be playing catch up in Japan, can't see it changing either. Sony and Nintendo have the foothold in the Japanese market by releasing consoles for decades now, Microsoft just have bad sales figures.

Hey hey, no slagging the Xbox One or PS4! They both have a purpose in life, as a 3DO stand :)

OuHBhH.jpg

Edit:
    And just to be clear, the 3DO really does get more action than the other two :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The 3DO is clearly saying
    "I crush you puny consoles"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Never paid much attention to the 3DO before, awful looking yoke. Reminds me of a cheap VCR. What are the pink/silver buttons either side of where you put in the video tape, power and eject or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Steve SI wrote: »
    Hey hey, no slagging the Xbox One or PS4! They both have a purpose in life, as a 3DO stand :)

I wasn't slagging either off, just enjoying catching up on the older stuff at the moment. The funny thing about that picture it is that is the 3do will probably still be going strong when the others have been killed off by their respective lights of death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hey Dinorex, hope you enjoyed Princess Mononoke this evening.

Yours truely, OLD MAN IN CINEMA.

First time I've seen that on the big screen. Breathtaking stuff. Shame the eejit on front of me wouldn't sit still. Bit of a YOUNG MAN IN CINEMA thing going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Watched The Secret Life of Walter Mitty...ehhh. It was harmless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Harmless apart from the fact it takes cinematic product placement in horrifying new directions ('hey eHarmony representative, this Cinnabon is like iced cocaine!') and is also pretty much worthless tripe, some nice shots of Iceland aside :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Harmless apart from the fact it takes cinematic product placement in horrifying new directions ('hey eHarmony representative, this Cinnabon is like iced cocaine!') and is also pretty much worthless tripe, some nice shots of Iceland aside :pac:

It's widely recognised and I think admitted by Stiller, the corporate sponsorship is how he was able to make the movie. Yes it's blatant, but I think that he managed, for the best part, to spell it into the narrative, and create something where is not too jarring. With the exception of having a Papa John's Pizza in the middle of nowhere in Iceland.

It would really make you want to visit Iceland though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Never paid much attention to the 3DO before, awful looking yoke. Reminds me of a cheap VCR. What are the pink/silver buttons either side of where you put in the video tape, power and eject or something?

Please remain where you are.
    Steve and I will be sending a team to your home with a lump hammer to provide attitude adjustment.
    Please remain calm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Have to agree with the man with filled pants from Wicklow. The 3DO is a big bag of wet bum-spanners.

Name one exceptional game on it and I will give you 8 Pesetas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Have to agree with the man with filled pants from Wicklow. The 3DO is a big bag of wet bum-spanners.

Star Control II, it was even better than the PC version.
    Street Fighter II, pretty much the best home version of the game at the time.
    Return Fire, awesome game, awesome soundtrack :)

o1s1n wrote: »
    Hey Dinorex, hope you enjoyed Princess Mononoke this evening.

Yours truely, OLD MAN IN CINEMA.

First time I've seen that on the big screen. Breathtaking stuff. Shame the eejit on front of me wouldn't sit still. Bit of a YOUNG MAN IN CINEMA thing going on.

Think it's my favourite studio Ghibli film. Was great to see it in the cinema.

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »

I never noticed the VCR comparison before! Now that you mention it, its exactly what the CD tray looks like.

What has been seen cannot be unseen :(

Master of the Universe

Think it's my favourite studio Ghibli film. Was great to see it in the cinema.

There are many big spectacular cinematic moments that really benefit from a big screen.

I wish I'd gone to see more of their Ghibli season, quite a few I'd never seen in the cinema.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd love to see Naussicaa and Laputa on the big screen as well. No chance of them coming to the omniplex Sligo.

The Ghibli films seemed to do really well in the Screen.

They also filled the place for Transformers as well. Hopefully it means we'll get more classic animated films on the big screen there.

Master of the Universe

Nausicaa and Laputa would be my two favourites. Saw Nausicaa at a Japanese film festival in The Chester Beatty Library a few years back.

Not a gigantic screen by any means, but was still a great experience.

• Advertisement

If you like Laputa you should check out the Megaman Legends series. They look and feel like Miyazaki films since they have a similar art style and feature a lot of flying machines. They're far better studio ghibli games than Ni No Kuni.

And you definitely need to see The Children Who Chase Lost voices from Deep Below. It's like a love letter to Mononoke and Laputa:

And you definitely need to see The Children Who Chase Lost voices from Deep Below. It's like a love letter to Mononoke and Laputa:

It's not as good as the best Ghibli films but still well worth a watch and the animation is just glorious.

Wasn't it a poor transfer they had at the Lighthouse last year?
    The event with the Q&A

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Wasn't it a poor transfer they had at the Lighthouse last year?
    The event with the Q&A

Yeah. That was woeful looking. Looked like a bad mpeg.

The BluRay is glorious though.

I've found everything Ghibli has done since Spirted Away to be a tad lacklustre.

Luckily we have guys like Makoto Shinkai and Mamoru Hosoda (Wolf Children is amazing) making the kind of stuff that Ghibli used to make.

The nostalgia type films Ghibli make so much of now probably work a lot better in Japan though.

Yeah they really go for that over there. Game Center CX is pretty much built upon it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    I never noticed the VCR comparison before! Now that you mention it, its exactly what the CD tray looks like.

What has been seen cannot be unseen :(

He keeps doin' that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

STG.Otaku wrote: »

I'd second Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo on it, it was absolutely the definitive home port at the time & blew the 16bit versions away.

Myrddin wrote: »
    He keeps doin' that!

Lol yeah I'll just keep my gob shut from now on. :pac:

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »
    Star Control II, it was even better than the PC version.
    Street Fighter II, pretty much the best home version of the game at the time.
    Return Fire, awesome game, awesome soundtrack :)

Don't try to convert them.
    They will never understand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Edge says Bayonetta 2 is four better than Gunstar Heroes (yes, they've officially changed their rating system to '_ better / worse than / equal to Gunstar Heroes'). Hopefully the start of much positivity to come. It's going to be a long month!

Edge says Bayonetta 2 is four better than Gunstar Heroes (yes, they've officially changed their rating system to '_ better / worse than / equal to Gunstar Heroes'). Hopefully the start of much positivity to come. It's going to be a long month!

Shame there's such a gap til the peasants in Europe get their hands on it.

Slightly OT but does anyone else find almost impossible to read the tiny font size in Edge? Probably just my crappy eyesight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Spotted the same cases as these in a shop today, y u no make samsung galaxy versions!

sega_genesis_phone_case_2.jpg

krudler wrote: »
    Spotted the same cases as these in a shop today, y u no make samsung galaxy versions!

sega_genesis_phone_case_2.jpg
    EWWW, Genesis? At least the second case has the right name.

krudler wrote: »

[url]Http://arenageek.com/imagens/2013/11/sega_genesis_phone_case_2.jpg[/url]
    Story of my life, I've a HTC One, no covers like that for it and I would love the Game Gear one.

• Advertisement

Get a Spigen transparent case and make your own backing for them. That's how I got my Master System case.

Bya8lE5IAAAwHpA.png:orig

Goddammit, Japan!

Did Outrun come out here?
    Can't remember, I know I got Galaxy Force 2 and Space Harrier.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Did Outrun come out here?
    Can't remember, I know I got Galaxy Force 2 and Space Harrier.
    Outrun and Fantasy Zone, no.

On the one hand I'm relieved I didnt I didnt miss them but on the other I'm annoyed we didn't get them over here!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement