Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Set up that PS2 HDD this evening and what do you know, the HDD didn't need any work on it - the previous owner had already been using it with a PS2 so it was all good to go. (even had a few games) :)

Had no luck FTPing over to it, so took a broken USB HDD apart and turned it into an IDE enclosure. All working now. Slowly filling it with games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Bya8lE5IAAAwHpA.png:orig

Goddammit, Japan!

I'm all over that like cheap perfume on a lady of the night.

Outrun in 3D, yes please.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Treated myself to a PS4. The argos deal with destiny seemed too good to say no to. It's a very modest visual upgrade compared to last gen. For all the talk about destiny being revolutionary it's just phantasy star online with guns. Luckily it's a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Treated myself to a PS4. The argos deal with destiny seemed too good to say no to. It's a very modest visual upgrade compared to last gen. For all the talk about destiny being revolutionary it's just phantasy star online with guns. Luckily it's a lot of fun.
    Now you just reminded me about how stupid it is of Sega to continue allowing a western PSO2 to not exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Now you just reminded me about how stupid it is of Sega to continue allowing a western PSO2 to not exist.

its still coming

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/phantasy-star-online-2s-western-release-still-dela/1100-6422138/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well it's a cross gen game, so it's not exactly the graphical showcase for the console.

I've been playing Destiny as I got a free copy this week. The gunplay is very satisfying, but other than that it's one of the most embarrassingly inept games I've played in a long time. I generally can't think of a game with more insipid level and mission design.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've only just played a little of it but think that's a bit harsh. It feels more like a Diablo/PSO loot grinder and its level set up is about the same, big open levels that are reused with different objectives. Its easier to understand when you think of it that way. It's more than enough fun to keep me playing for a while.

On another note I pick up Wolfenstein New Order as it was on special offer with the console from argos. Not the most amazing game ever but a surprisingly good one. I'm also impressed with how it deals with the extreme violence in the game. There's 2 torture scenes early on but the game cuts away from them. It's far more effective than most games that seem obsessed with sickening torture scenes.

They've been saying that for two years now. And it's getting harder and harder to believe that everytime. Even though they already have it translated into English for the South East Asian market.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've only just played a little of it but think that's a bit harsh. It feels more like a Diablo/PSO loot grinder and its level set up is about the same, big open levels that are reused with different objectives. Its easier to understand when you think of it that way. It's more than enough fun to keep me playing for a while.

The problem is two fold (well, the game has many fundamental problems but these two are particularly problematic) - a) the big open levels are sparse, static, repetitive and restrictive (invisible barriers! insta-death perimeters!), with nowhere near enough variety to mix up the mechanics on a regular basis. B) As of level eight, I have yet to encounter an objective that is any different than 'fight waves of enemies before fighting a bullet sponge boss'. It's hugely frustrating because the core shooting is truly immensely enjoyable - and definitely enough to keep playing for a while - but almost everything surrounding it is infuriating. There are some moments when you stumble across an enjoyable online interaction or a tense battle, but they feel few and far between. It simply feels like a mess of different ideas - some good, some bad - that haven't been executed in a coherent manner, and gives the impression that everything feels artificial rather than organic. When I see games like No Man's Sky promising - it remains to be seen if it'll deliver, of course - these vast, dynamic universes full of personalised adventure and exploration (Destiny's loading screen space travel feels like a particularly missed opportunity), Destiny's grander ambitions can't help but feel profoundly limited.

Well I get you on that. For all the talk about it being revolutionary it has the exact same structure as phantasy star online. That game had 4 areas in it that it reused for multiple missions and a small hub section which had shops. However it's not such a bad thing. pSO was a lot of fun and so is this. The real motivation is the loot grind and if you're not invested in that then you won't like it. I think it does the FPS loot grind a lot better than borderlands which I could not stand.

But yes it's hardly revolutionary being basically PSO/Diablo 2 with guns, two games nearly 15 years old at this stage.

• Advertisement

More importantly: go play Resogun :P

More importantly: go play Resogun :P

I did. I lasted 2 minutes. Fecking Defender clone, that game has too many buttons and they confuse me!

I did. I lasted 2 minutes. Fecking Defender clone, that game has too many buttons and they confuse me!
    Retro...turn in your hardcore gamer card.

Ah come on now, isn't defender regarded as up there with dockey kong as one of the hardest arcade machines? :)

Ah come on now, isn't defender regarded as up there with dockey kong as one of the hardest arcade machines? :)
    It isn't considered hardcore to be confused with only 8 buttons. Very easy to learn.

Ah I'll play a good bit more of it. Right now I'm blaming my own cack handedness on the controls :)

Ah I'll play a good bit more of it. Right now I'm blaming my own cack handedness on the controls :)
    *tosses back gamer card to Retro*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As if it needs to be said
    Don't buy Knack.
    Its so bad I haven't bought it.

That said, its a shining light in the gaming firmament compared to Lococycle on the Xbox1

Master of the Universe

I tried to play Gone Home last night (received it as part of a Humble Bundle) and it kept over heating my GPU :mad:

Would be about 5 minutes or so into the game and the screen would go black, laptop shut down.

Can't say this has ever happened with any game, ever. Did a bit of googling and it looks like it's just badly optimized. Apparently if you enable vsync it stops it happening but nope, didn't fix it.

I then decided to play some Gunpoint instead and it wouldn't boot from Steam. Kept crashing. Decided to download a dodgy version instead and that worked perfectly.

This is why I no longer play PC games!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    I tried to play Gone Home last night (received it as part of a Humble Bundle) and it kept over heating my GPU :mad:

Would be about 5 minutes or so into the game and the screen would go black, laptop shut down.

Can't say this has ever happened with any game, ever. Did a bit of googling and it looks like it's just badly optimized. Apparently if you enable vsync it stops it happening but nope, didn't fix it.

I then decided to play some Gunpoint instead and it wouldn't boot from Steam. Kept crashing. Decided to download a dodgy version instead and that worked perfectly.

This is why I no longer play PC games!

Because you're playing on a rubbish laptop? :P

Can't say I've had issue with Gunpoint (or Steam). I never got 5 minutes into Gone Home before turning it off though! :pac: (I'm using a desktop 4 yrs old or so these days, ancient relatively speaking.)

I do recall my laptop feeling quite hot during Gone Home alright, still managed to play through it without incident! I'd say it's just poorly optimised - either that or CPUs don't like sensitively portrayed homosexuality themes in their games :pac:

Gunpoint had no issues with on Steam. Absolutely fantastic little game :)

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Because you're playing on a rubbish laptop? :P

Can't say I've had issue with Gunpoint (or Steam). I never got 5 minutes into Gone Home before turning it off though! :pac: (I'm using a desktop 4 yrs old or so these days, ancient relatively speaking.)

Hah! :D

It's about 4 years old at this stage I think, so might be just starting to age. Has an i5, 6GB of RAM and an Nvidia Optimus though, which has run everything I've thrown at it over the years. Seems odd that an Indie game like Gone Home would give it issues.

Odd thing is, it doesn't even feel like it's running hot. But the shutdown symptoms are definitely the laptop going 'I don't like this, I'm outta here!'

I do recall my laptop feeling quite hot during Gone Home alright, still managed to play through it without incident! I'd say it's just poorly optimised - either that or CPUs don't like sensitively portrayed homosexuality themes in their games :pac:

Gunpoint had no issues with on Steam. Absolutely fantastic little game :)

Both Gunpoint and Hotline Miami refuse to boot from my Steam. I've tried several reinstalls etc. Both work 100% perfectly via dodgy non Steam copies.

I've never had much luck with Steam over the years though, from the moment it was released it's always given me issues one way or another.

On the subject of Gunpoint, yeah it's really really great. Would love to be able to configure it to work with the NES30.

If I was you I'd wipe steam from your PC and reinstall a clean version. If it gets corrupted you can have problems.

As for Gone Home, it really is a badly optimised and programmed game. I had some trouble getting over 30 fps on my PC which isn't exactly shabby. Goat Simulator is even more poorly optimised again. Can't really play the developer though, proper optimisation is not something a small developer can invest time into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Can't really play the developer though, proper optimisation is not something a small developer can invest time into.

If they can't deliver a working product, then absolutely its their fault.

If they can't deliver a working product, then absolutely its their fault.

Well it does work and it's not the kind of game where framerate is important. It's not broken, you just need a decent PC to run it. In the case of Goat Simulator the fact that it's broken is the fun of it although I'm surprised with how poorly it runs considering it's running on Unreal.

Think of it like Rise of the Triad when you reduced the screen size to its smallest and it told you to buy a 486 :P

• Advertisement

I suggest Ciderauldlad check out Formula Fusion and cream his pants when he see's it. Ex Sony Liverpool developers new game that looks suspiciously like Wipeout.

Dafuq? Raiden 2 and DX are supposedly up on Steam?

Master of the Universe

Dafuq? Raiden 2 and DX are supposedly up on Steam?

Can't be true...???

Both Gunpoint and Hotline Miami refuse to boot from my Steam. I've tried several reinstalls etc. Both work 100% perfectly via dodgy non Steam copies.

You do get DRM free copies with Humble Bundles, by the way, if the Steam versions are giving you hassle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Can't be true...???

Don't you have them both in their Jamma original incarnations?
    And, at this point, running full tilt via Mame?
    Why buy it again, when there's nothing new in there?
    Or is that a moot point around these parts?

• Advertisement

I suggest Ciderauldlad check out Formula Fusion and cream his pants when he see's it. Ex Sony Liverpool developers new game that looks suspiciously like Wipeout.

Seriously though,
    It has an earlier name, Slamjet Racing, hopefully the change to Formula Fusion will stick, the other sounds like Shrek and Spyro might feature in a SD kart!
    The video seems a little sparse, the vehicles don't seem to be banking at all, simply glued a set height from the courses.
    Remember that, outside of F-Zero, no one came close to replicating the Wipeout vision of racing without wheels.
    Powerdrome was almost there, but nothing else, explaining the non existence of the genre, outside of specific track portions in Mario Kart 8.

I look forward to it and hope the Wipeout devs made Wipeout 1-3/SE and the PSP/Vita games, and had nothing to do with the awful game on the PS2.

This gives some hope though
    link
    Although the later move to consoles from an initial launch on PC makes my face sad.....

Please Sony, see sense and bring us more Wipeout!

Can't be true...???

It's not.

The F-Zero series is far better than Wipeout imo, never understood the love you have for those games - they looked nice on PS1 but never played great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    ...the vehicles don't seem to be banking at all, simply glued a set height from the courses.

That does look a little strange, more like mid-air drifting, rather than banking as you'd imagine that they should be in order to turn in the air.

It's not.

I'm a dope. Apparently it's working in 'MAME', I just read it wrong. They cracked the copy protection.

As for Wipeout and F-zero, Wipeout was fun but F-zero has always been a far better racing game and doesn't rely on gimmick weapons.

Master of the Universe

You do get DRM free copies with Humble Bundles, by the way, if the Steam versions are giving you hassle.

Ah right, I didn't know that. Good to know.

Maybe it's Steam that's trying to melt my GPU and not Gone Home, must try the DRM free one :D
    Don't you have them both in their Jamma original incarnations?
    And, at this point, running full tilt via Mame?
    Why buy it again, when there's nothing new in there?
    Or is that a moot point around these parts?

I have originals of Raiden 1 & 2, but not DX. The only way I could play DX previously was via the PS1 port. Worked quite nicely though.

There'd be something nice about seeing both in the Steam library. Plus it might get the games a bit more exposure. The more people pumping money into shmups the better! :)

I'm going to have to disagree on Wipeout vs FZero.
    2097 and the Special Edition of the 3rd game, both on the PS1 are superb.
    The two PSP games are brilliant as well, maybe not as good though.
    The 3rd title tied the tracks into a more coherent real world context, something the Vita game did much later.
    The Special Edition of that PS1 game then added in the best of the classic tracks from the previous two, making it one to own.

FZero always felt a little too random for me.
    Although GX is simply breathtaking.

The best thing about F-zero is that it's far from random unlike Wipeout which relies on the randomness of the weapon system too much. In F-zero you either race well and place high or you do crap. That game is all about skill.

I'm not saying Wipeout is bad. They're good games with 3 SE and 2097 being standouts but for anti grav racing that's actually about racing nothing comes close to F-zero. In fact I'd say it's a toss up between X and GX for best arcade racer ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

sure when you have sega team developing a racing game for you , you have the best game ever made

The best thing about F-zero is that it's far from random unlike Wipeout which relies on the randomness of the weapon system too much. In F-zero you either race well and place high or you do crap. That game is all about skill.

I'm not saying Wipeout is bad. They're good games with 3 SE and 2097 being standouts but for anti grav racing that's actually about racing nothing comes close to F-zero. In fact I'd say it's a toss up between X and GX for best arcade racer ever.

I'd have to say Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast is the epitome of arcade racers and my favourite of them all.
    I'd also say that Rollcage: Stage 2 gives any Wipeout a run for it's money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Hmm Outrun C2C is definitely very good but I think the Burnout series has the edge over it.

• Advertisement

The only way I could play DX previously was via the PS1 port. Worked quite nicely though.

It's an excellent port alright.
    I'm going to have to disagree on Wipeout vs FZero.
    2097 and the Special Edition of the 3rd game, both on the PS1 are superb.
    The two PSP games are brilliant as well, maybe not as good though.
    The 3rd title tied the tracks into a more coherent real world context, something the Vita game did much later.
    The Special Edition of that PS1 game then added in the best of the classic tracks from the previous two, making it one to own.

FZero always felt a little too random for me.
    Although GX is simply breathtaking.

Think I only have Wip3out so must see if I can get my hands on 2097. I'll be shocked if it's a better game than GX though. (Actually it's already at a disadvantage considering it doesn't use a GC controller! :D)

Hmm Outrun C2C is definitely very good but I think the Burnout series has the edge over it.

Nah, Coast 2 Coast would get my vote between those two. Super game it is.

I'd have to say Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast is the epitome of arcade racers and my favourite of them all.
    I'd also say that Rollcage: Stage 2 gives any Wipeout a run for it's money.

Can't argue with those two choices in fairness.

As much as I loved burnout I did find myself getting sick of it towards the end when it became a little bit two tough. Outrun 2 though, I could throw that game on for a few minutes any time and never get sick of it.
    Think I only have Wip3out so must see if I can get my hands on 2097. I'll be shocked if it's a better game than GX though. (Actually it's already at a disadvantage considering it doesn't use a GC controller! :D)
    It's not.

Wipeout 2097 is impressive because it got so much right as a second run at the an original franchise and does so much that the original couldn't do.
    What I mean is, side by side, Wipeout looks like it was on a previous console gen, while 2097 still looks pretty nice, time from an obligatory youtube video series!

This is pretty awesome sauce though

Burnout went all pear shaped for me after the incredible second title.
    It went from a game where you avoided collisions and the focus was on racing, and traffic avoidance, with some great risk/reward mechanics.
    Then it turned into an automotive smash'em up, and the series drifted, no pun intended, further and further away from the first two games.
    By 2012 it seemed that the smash'em up theme had infected every racing title on consoles, barring track titles, with elements of Burnout 3 and the later stuff all over, but I think Ridge Racer Unbounded jumped the shark, making a ruleset that made no real sense, not knowing what was destructible and what wasn't and changing that denotion depending on what some meter was reading.
    What didn't help either was the conversion of the NfS series from Supercar racing to a car-modding w@nk off and now into a Burnout Paradise franchise of it's own.
    I don't know, I find the whole racing scene on console to be boring as hell, nothing particularly new, even Forza Horizon and it's sequel are only doing what the first Test Drive Unlimited game did perfectly well, less said about the horrors of TDU2 the better.

I just wish that Sega style arcade racers were back in fashion. Gran Turismo and it's devil spawn bore me to big fat salty tears. I want anti grav racing or the ability to go completely sideways around a corner by just tapping the brake.

I just wish that Sega style arcade racers were back in fashion. Gran Turismo and it's devil spawn bore me to big fat salty tears. I want anti grav racing or the ability to go completely sideways around a corner by just tapping the brake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Burnout went all pear shaped for me after the incredible second title.
    It went from a game where you avoided collisions and the focus was on racing, and traffic avoidance, with some great risk/reward mechanics.
    Then it turned into an automotive smash'em up, and the series drifted, no pun intended, further and further away from the first two games.

Definitely, the first two burnout games were immense fun and I really liked in the second game that they had a separate crash mode for those who wanted to indulge in some destruction, but kept the main game true to the series.
    By 2012 it seemed that the smash'em up theme had infected every racing title on consoles, barring track titles, with elements of Burnout 3 and the later stuff all over, but I think Ridge Racer Unbounded jumped the shark, making a ruleset that made no real sense, not knowing what was destructible and what wasn't and changing that denotion depending on what some meter was reading.

I wanted to like ridge racer unbounded, I really did but I just found it quite tedious to play. Like you say only being able to destruct certain things and at certain points was a bit frustrating (I know that;s the way it is in most games, just wasn't fond of it in ridge racer) so I didn't invest much into it. It felt a bit like a poor mans blur, which also was fun but personally didn't find it too engaging. Split/Second is another similar one and actually enjoyable so give that a go if you haven't.
    What didn't help either was the conversion of the NfS series from Supercar racing to a car-modding w@nk off and now into a Burnout Paradise franchise of it's own.

At the time when NFS Underground came out it was right up my street and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd only ever played NFS hot pursuit 3 on an ancient windows 95 PC previously which was fantastic, but at the time I was into modified cars and loved Underground. The direct sequel, underground 2 was, personally, fantastic. I loved the open world and it had easliy accessible driving mechanics which I liked. The more recent NFS titles haven't been too bad really. I've recently played a lot of Rivals and found it to be very good. Reminds me a lot of Hot Pursuit (the one on the PS2) which again was a great game. The 2010 Hot pursuit was enjoyable too.
    I don't know, I find the whole racing scene on console to be boring as hell, nothing particularly new, even Forza Horizon and it's sequel are only doing what the first Test Drive Unlimited game did perfectly well, less said about the horrors of TDU2 the better.

I think it really depends on what type of racing game you're looking for on console. If you want a highway racer, you've got Tokyo highway challenge, Wangan Midnight (feels a bit rigid/sterile to play though), Import tuner challenge (an updated tokyo highway challenge for the 360) and even the fast and the furious game on the PS2. If you want a touge game there's the kaido racer series, the fantastic Battle Gear games, GRID has some touge races too. Theres also some drift games, although mainly limited to Japan like the D1 grand prix series. There's also some random import ones on the PS1 like Over drivn' Skyline memorial, Toyota Netz racing and Advan racing. Then there's also all the sim racers like forza, Gran Turismo, Enthusia and so on. TBH there's a hell of a lot out there for racing fans on console if you really want to get into it.

I've personally been stuck into forza 5 recently. The game looks glorious, runs great at 60fps and has some really nice handling. I'm also stupidly excited for Horizon 2. Absolutely loved the first one and to me felt like what TDU 2 should have been. Have it pre ordered and all.

There's the upcoming project CARS which looks very PC-sim esque if you're into that and the crew which looks like it's set to be a MMORPG type game with cars. Not my cup of tea but something different none the less.

I'm apprehensive about that game. So many games come out now 'oh it's a mix of metal slug and a rogue-like' or it's just like a Metroid game with sprite art and are nothing like that. I won't believe it until it's released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

My laptop is a i5 with 6GB and a AMD Radeon HD 6630M graphics card and Gone Home was super clunky on it.

Loved the game but the one thing that drove me nuts was the background rain sound effects run on about a 3 second loop and it was maddening!

I'm still loving Destiny, really seems to be more popular with older gamers in my age group. I'm up to level 26 now which is high enough to do the raid, but I think you really need to be going in about 2 levels higher, like with the Strikes.

Never thought I'd enjoy a first person shooter again, especially one that you play online as I generally hate online stuff as the people are just awful. But in general you don't have to listen to anyone as mic chat isn't enabled for match making. Again this is something that seems to annoy younger players, but I love it. Need more Dark Souls type emotes though.

The dumb story doesn't bother me as unlike something like Bioshock Infinite they remembered to make the game fun to actually play.

It's got a huge amount of flaws though. The reason people were spending so much time shooting into a cave was because it was far more rewarding than playing the actual fun parts of the game. Nerfing the loot cave probably isn't the right answer, they just need to make the good stuff more rewarding. But all Destiny's problems are ones that are easy enough to fix and I'm sure they'll get it right over the next month or so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement